Mutants & Masterminds
HQ    ABOUT M&M    SUPER-VISION    GIMMICK'S GADGETS    M&M SUPERLINK    ATOMIC THINK TANK    M&M SHOP
Saving the world, one d20 roll at a time

Legacy of War - OoC

This forum is the place for Mutants & Masterminds Play-By-Post games. Please read the M&M Game Room rules before starting or joining a game. Enjoy!

Legacy of War - OoC

Postby Ryan M. Danks » Sun Oct 07, 2012 4:11 pm

My tabletop group has a tradition of trading GM’s every adventure so that everyone gets a chance to play (or play god, whichever way interests point towards). Given that I’ve applied to a game here, I feel compelled (and inspired) to run a game to compensate. If you all will indulge a new GM here.

I’m somewhat familiar with running superhero games, but the bulk of my experience lies in fantasy. What you see below is a game that I ran for my group at home using GURPS. I’m intimately familiar with the setting (inspired by the Ranger's Apprentice novels and, for this version, Guild Wars 2), but will need to convert a few things to M&M, which shouldn’t be a problem.

I only have 3e, so that will have to be the version used. I’m not entirely sure what info I need to give you guys, so ask away if there are any questions.

Anyway, for those interested...

Legacy of War

It’s been 3 years since the last Day of Choosing, the day when the youths of Redmont Barony decide how they will serve the kingdom. Baron Arald’s son has been trained as a knight, and thus is to be presented to the king for an official knighting. In addition to helping to train the Baron’s son, Captain Tiberius has completed the training of the finest battleschool graduate in a generation. Mistress Aislin has recently returned from the Sylvan Forest where she was training her newest pupil in the oldest magics, and having frequent visits by her lover, Ranger Gillan, and his apprentice, who was also learning from the elves in the realm of survival and skill at arms.

With so many young prodigies on the rise it is expected that something terrible must be forthcoming, else why would the gods raise up such fine apprentices. As Tavernkeep Wilhelm delights a full house at the Weeping Willow Inn with his musically gifted apprentice, the very news that everyone fears comes walking through the door in the form of a king’s courier and her disreputable looking young associate.

The game will start at Power Level 6 (90 points) for the newly indoctrinated heroes of the realm.

Everyone and their masters are from Redmont Fief, more specifically, from the village surrounding Redmont Castle. Because of the close proximity of the fief to the Sylvan Forest, a single family of elves have made the fief their home, thus it is possible for one of the players to be the child of that family. Several half-elven children also live in the village, with either an elven mother or father who has given up their natural ways for true love and marriage. Dwarves come down from their nearby Smoking Mountain stronghold once a year to trade with the fief, it’s a very festive occasion when they do. One rather successful family of dwarven blacksmiths chose to settle in Redmont to service the fief throughout the year and their eldest could also be a potential player character.

As for classes (archetypes, I guess they’re called in M&M), those listed above (and below) are what’s available, and I took some liberties in recreating them for this game. Don’t worry about overlapping too much, just be mindful of the class focus. I have it available for six players, but I’ll start with at least four (the knight must be included for the plot to move forward, although I suppose I could NPC him if no one wants to play that class).

Instead of giving a lengthy dissertation of each class, I’ve listed below what each character’s training entailed. You’re urged to take from there while building your characters, but it is a general guideline, not a hard rule. And, your character doesn’t have to have mastered every facet of their training - they can suck at a few things that their masters still give them grief for, even after graduation. They could also have picked up some other skills in their free time.

Note that I took some inspiration from GW2 in the descriptions of the classes.

In order of appearance...

The Knight (Paladin/GW2 Guardian) - Student of Baron Arald and Captain Tiberius - Training emphasized the use of mounted combat, shield and sword tactics and leadership capability. By drawing on the power of his virtues, the knight can protect his allies or smite his enemies. (Give his horse a name, it was given to him by his father on the Day of Choosing and he has raised it since that time.)

The Warrior (Fighter/Warrior) - Student of Captain Tiberius and other Battleschool Instructors - Training emphasized the mastery of many different weapons and large unit tactics. By relying on his very demanding training, the warrior is able to bring his greater speed, strength and toughness to bear against his enemies.

The Mage (Wizard/Sorcerer) - Student of Mistress Aislin - Training emphasized use use of multi-faceted spellcasting and the studying of massive tomes of ancient lore. Despite long hours spent behind a desk or artificing table, the mage was also well-trained by the elves in the fencing arts as a form of personal defense and exercise.

The Ranger (Ranger/Archer) - Student of Ranger Gillan - Training emphasized the skills necessary to be an unparalleled archer and trapper and how to commune with nature. With a keen eye, a steady hand and the power of nature itself, the ranger is a one man army. (Can have a pet, if desired.)

The Bard (Bard/GW2 Mesmer-ish) - Student of Tavernkeep Wilhelm - Training emphasized the use of theatricality and deception as powerful tools in an adventurer’s arsenal. By weaving song and magic together, the bard is capable of raising the morale of his allies or breaking the spirits of his enemies.

The Rogue (Rogue/GW2 Thief) - Student of Artemis Stern - Training emphasized stealth, agility and an acrobatic fighting style that can make the rogue very hard to hit. The rogue is from Redmont Fief, but moved away when everyone was very young. He was raised by Artemis Stern, the king’s courier who brings him to the village.
Last edited by Ryan M. Danks on Thu Nov 01, 2012 8:45 pm, edited 7 times in total.
Ryan M. Danks
Firebrand
Firebrand

Re: Legacy of War - Recruitment

Postby zeone3000 » Sun Oct 07, 2012 9:09 pm

I'm interested in this as the thief.
]My first fanfic - Log of the Grinning Shadow - Chapter four is now up! Enjoy!
zeone3000
Zealot
Zealot

Postby Hound » Sun Oct 07, 2012 9:17 pm

damn it. I love rogues. =(
"Whats wrong? You came here expecting to fight a madman, and instead found a god!?"
My Characters
Hound
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Walking Dad » Mon Oct 08, 2012 7:02 am

Interested in either Mage or Ranger, but I'm unfamiliar with GW2.
Are the mages more elemental casters or also do summoning, illusion, etc?
Can you also give an example for the ranger nature magic?
English isn't my native language. Have patience, please.

WD's PbP characters (3e)
Martian Manhunter builds
Walking Dad
Luminary
Luminary

Postby Spectrum » Mon Oct 08, 2012 7:18 am

The bard sounds like fun. I've been wanting to play a social twink character.

The potential problem is- would you be willing to allow social abilities to be as strong as combat in their own way?
Spectrum
Titan
Titan

Postby Spectrum » Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:03 am

Could you please also provide a languages list, both common and exotic?
Spectrum
Titan
Titan

Postby Ryan M. Danks » Mon Oct 08, 2012 10:07 am

@Walking Dad: The reference to Guild Wars 2 was only for those familiar with it. The mage, and their teacher, was trained in high elven magic. Since the elves are physical creatures, their magic usually has some physical weapon component like D&D Bladesingers or Swordmages, but it doesn't have to. They also learn about the history of the "Forgotten World" which teaches where natural history merges with arcane history.

Basically, make whatever kind of mage you want.

As for Rangers, they are similar. They learn from another mystical sect within the same elven community. They are taught to commune with nature. For some that means attracting animal companions, for others it means learning to persuade the natural spirits to help you in their time of need (nature magic), and many learn to do both. They are master archers and trackers as well, but learning those skills is a shared experience from human and elven background.

Again, make whatever kind of ranger you want.

@Spectrum: In what way are you worried about social abilities not being strong? There are plenty of Advantages and Skill uses that would make them useful in combat (feinting, set-up, redirect, daze, etc.) that would keep them relevant no matter the setting, and when you are in a social situation you would be front and center. I think M&M does a much better job than D&D or GURPS to give social skills added value. If you're concerned about having game time to use your social abilities, the first adventure is rife with opportunity there, and further adventures have a similar, if slightly lesser, amount.

As for languages, there are many. A geography lesson may be in store for that.

Redmont fief rests in the heart of Aralua. Aralua is influenced by English/French medieval culture (typical fantasy stuff). Araluen is the language spoken throughout the realm.

Other human cultures: To the south lies the land of Zoa, a spanish influenced maritime nation with ships that see every port in the known world. They speak Zoan in their homeland but because of their travels almost every laborer, merchant and sailor speaks the Trade Language as well. Across the Eastern Sea lies Moravia, a Moorish nation that has influences from northern Africa and the Middle East. Because of religious and political differences, Aralua doesn't deal much with Moravia. They speak Moravian.

There is also another human nation, one influenced by Asian and Pacific Islander cultures that rests well beyond Moravia, but little is known about it. Although it is comprised of several nations, most people are ignorant of that and think of all of them by the name of the most well-known nation, Nihon-Ja, whose people are known as Nihon-Jin and speak Nihon.

As for other races, they don't have racial languages as in most fantasy settings. There are different nations of dwarves (each owning their own mountain range throughout the world) and each speaks a different language. The mountain range that stretches north and south along the western edge of Aralua, and acts as its natural western border, used to be known by a different name (The Ragnarok Mountains, and what the dwarves still refer to it by) but due to their capital city, Smoking Mountain, underneath the largest mountain, and the smoke that vents from hundreds of pores from cooking fires and blacksmiths, the entire range is referred to by outsiders as the Smoking Mountain range. Those dwarves speak Anvuil.

Elves are similar to dwarves in that each nation has a different language. The Sylvan Forest, which dominates the north eastern edge of Aralua and stretches on for thousands of miles, all the way to the Dead Tundra (where creatures similar to GoT's White Walkers reside) - beyond the Dead Tundra is the Ice Shelf, where ice giants and dangerous dwarves reside. But I digress. The Sylvan Elves speak Sylvan and are the only elves, just as the Smoking Mountain dwarves are the only dwarves, that the peoples of Aralua have dealings with. There are others, but only the most traveled know anything about them.

Beyond those, there is a Trade Language that many traders of the Eastern Sea speak, including merchants from Aralua. Not every culture speaks this language, but it is well-known in nearly every port in the Eastern Sea.

Sorry for being long winded, but as I said, I'm intimately familiar with the setting. It's an amalgamation of many wonderful settings that I and those of my group have seen or read about in popular culture. Hope that gives you the info you needed.
Ryan M. Danks
Firebrand
Firebrand

Postby Spectrum » Mon Oct 08, 2012 11:17 am

Thank you, I have a growing bard concept in mind, I'll see if I can work the numbers out on it while staying combat relevant.
Spectrum
Titan
Titan

Postby Ryan M. Danks » Mon Oct 08, 2012 12:03 pm

Spectrum wrote:Thank you, I have a growing bard concept in mind, I'll see if I can work the numbers out on it while staying combat relevant.

Looking forward to seeing it.
Ryan M. Danks
Firebrand
Firebrand

Postby kenmadragon » Mon Oct 08, 2012 7:47 pm

Would like to apply for the Mage position. My char idea is a Mage who has a certain level of innate magic, but can cast a huge variety of spells when he has access to his spell book. Rather weak physically, but uses enchantments and spells to keep himself on par with the rest. Perhaps a quarter fae person, with white hair despite his young age. Looking something like this:ImageNote that I am not familiar with GURPS or GW2, but I have a friend who plays the latter a lot that I can ask for information, or simply ask you lot.
kenmadragon
Mastermind
Mastermind

Postby Ryan M. Danks » Mon Oct 08, 2012 9:34 pm

It all sounds relatively fine (except for the fae bit, they are elves, but I understand the confusion :wink:).

Look at my previous post above (specifically the response to Walking Dad about the Mage and the geography bit) for some more information. You don't need GURPS or GW2 experience to play the character effectively.
Ryan M. Danks
Firebrand
Firebrand

Postby bi0philia » Mon Oct 08, 2012 9:55 pm

posting interest as the knight

how big of a deal is mounted combat gonna be?

as in how often would it come up?
bi0philia
Heavyweight
Heavyweight

Postby Ryan M. Danks » Mon Oct 08, 2012 10:03 pm

Mounted combat isn't entirely necessary, if you don't want it, but you will be able to use it anytime you have your horse with you (essentially giving you a minion to fight with whenever you are outdoors). This won't be the typical dungeon delver. There will be many open spaces.

For instance, in the campaign I ran at my tabletop, they went through the entire first adventure and fought in open fields, several forests and a few other open areas that I won't discuss for fear of giving away too much. :wink: Suffice it to say that they never went into a dungeon. They did go underground once, but that was it.

Basically, the warhorse you get (give him a name, even if you don't spend points on him you still "own" him according to the story, even if you ignore him and leave him at home) will be as any other minion. Most of the time you have him, sometimes you won't.

Just like with my advice to the others, my archetypes are meant as guidelines, you can make your own way as long as you follow what the guidelines suggest.
Ryan M. Danks
Firebrand
Firebrand

Postby kenmadragon » Mon Oct 08, 2012 10:50 pm

Ah okay. I shall get to work on a build shortly.
kenmadragon
Mastermind
Mastermind

Postby Walking Dad » Tue Oct 09, 2012 4:27 am

kenmadragon wrote:Would like to apply for the Mage position. My char idea is a Mage who has a certain level of innate magic, but can cast a huge variety of spells when he has access to his spell book. Rather weak physically, but uses enchantments and spells to keep himself on par with the rest. Perhaps a quarter fae person, with white hair despite his young age. Looking something like this:ImageNote that I am not familiar with GURPS or GW2, but I have a friend who plays the latter a lot that I can ask for information, or simply ask you lot.

If you have a good concept for a mage, I will play a ranger with some nature magic, but without a permanent sidekick.
English isn't my native language. Have patience, please.

WD's PbP characters (3e)
Martian Manhunter builds
Walking Dad
Luminary
Luminary

Next

Return to M&M Game Room