Mutants & Masterminds
HQ    ABOUT M&M    SUPER-VISION    GIMMICK'S GADGETS    M&M SUPERLINK    ATOMIC THINK TANK    M&M SHOP
Saving the world, one d20 roll at a time

Legacy of War - OoC

This forum is the place for Mutants & Masterminds Play-By-Post games. Please read the M&M Game Room rules before starting or joining a game. Enjoy!

Re: Legacy of War - OoC

Postby Plan B » Sat Oct 27, 2012 1:25 pm

I sure they'll be times when cunning and guile will be helpful.
    Insert witty comment here.
Plan B
Mastermind
Mastermind

Postby Ryan M. Danks » Sat Oct 27, 2012 2:10 pm

Just not around buff and perceptive farmers. :)
Ryan M. Danks
Firebrand
Firebrand

Postby kenmadragon » Sat Oct 27, 2012 9:17 pm

Question: by faint signature, do you mean magical? Or do you mean that the thing is still alive? Or that something within the beast is still alive? or were my checks not good enough that Magus just got a vague feeling?
kenmadragon
Mastermind
Mastermind

Postby Ryan M. Danks » Sat Oct 27, 2012 9:35 pm

kenmadragon wrote:Question: by faint signature, do you mean magical? Or do you mean that the thing is still alive? Or that something within the beast is still alive? or were my checks not good enough that Magus just got a vague feeling?

Faint magical signature that you normally do not sense in creatures around you.
Ryan M. Danks
Firebrand
Firebrand

Postby kenmadragon » Sat Oct 27, 2012 9:41 pm

You mean, not from the mule? or was it a donkey? I can't remember...
kenmadragon
Mastermind
Mastermind

Postby Ryan M. Danks » Sat Oct 27, 2012 9:43 pm

kenmadragon wrote:You mean, not from the mule? or was it a donkey? I can't remember...

Within the mule. You haven't studied the aura of many dead mules, so you can't be sure if it's the aura fading and changing as it dies or something different.
Ryan M. Danks
Firebrand
Firebrand

Postby Ryan M. Danks » Tue Oct 30, 2012 12:06 am

What's up guys? You're not bored, are you?
Ryan M. Danks
Firebrand
Firebrand

Postby bi0philia » Tue Oct 30, 2012 12:56 am

this weekend is stretching till Wednesday for me and after inebriation i'm not a strong poster, i apologize.

additionally, super storm sandy's wreaking havoc on the east coast so the weather can be a factor.

I'm certainly not bored and i'm looking forward to carrying on, hope the rest of the group is too. I'll have a regular post up after i wake up in the morning.

don't panic just yet friend!
bi0philia
Heavyweight
Heavyweight

Postby Ryan M. Danks » Tue Oct 30, 2012 1:01 am

I understand, just wanting to keep our momentum, is all. :wink:

For those of you who have RL getting in the way, please don't take my comment as insincerity.
Ryan M. Danks
Firebrand
Firebrand

Postby Ryan M. Danks » Tue Oct 30, 2012 1:25 pm

I just read through the last few GM posts and I guess it has been slow going. I played this at a tabletop and, as with all things face-to-face, this part went by much faster (it actually felt too fast).

I hope you guys will indulge the roleplaying element her just a little longer. We'll get to combat, and lots of it (probably more than you can handle), soon enough.

This is actually convicting me, especially since I gave similar advice in another thread, to alter the plot to be more pbp friendly. Unfortunately, I've set us on the path already for the next scene, but after that I'll move things along more quickly and plan ahead for these kinds of lag points in the future.
Ryan M. Danks
Firebrand
Firebrand

Postby Evolución » Tue Oct 30, 2012 3:14 pm

Someone said they needed a ranger?
Evolución
Paragon
Paragon

Postby Ryan M. Danks » Tue Oct 30, 2012 3:18 pm

Evolución wrote:Someone said they needed a ranger?

Yep. You can find info in the OP. Whiteprofit also expressed interest via PM.
Ryan M. Danks
Firebrand
Firebrand

Postby Evolución » Tue Oct 30, 2012 4:36 pm

Name: Simphalas Height 1.8 mts
Skin: Light Weight 60 kg
Hair: Red Shape Human
Eyes: Deep green Age: 18 years

Story:
As a young boy, Simphalas always wandered around town, to the surrounding forest. For some reason he felt more at home surrounded by trees and beast than persons. It was in this state of awe that Gillan found Simphalas. He initially confused the green eyed boy with an elf, since his ears were concealed by a green hood.
Sharing a common passion, Simphalas and Gillian forged an enduring friendship, and with Simphalas' father permission, he started training the young man in the art of hunting, surviving and protection of nature.
It was then when Fermen, a dark magician schemed to lure Gillan into a death trap. The first step was to corrupt a part of the forest, and blame his apprentice for that. The plan went on as thought and the seed of doubt was swan. Gillan doubted his apprentice, and thus his trust faltered. In the heat of battle against Fermen, that lack of trust proved almost fatal. If it weren't for the timely intervention of Aislin, Gillan would have fallen in the trap of the evil wizard. His plans foiled, and now outmatched, the magician fled.
Gillan and Simphalas were severely injured, both in body and soul, so Mistress Aislin and her apprentice took them both with the elves, for well deserved rest.
After a rewarding time with the elves, master and apprentice walked side by side again, their hearts and arms in harmony once more. They walked to the Weeping Willow Inn for a refreshing ale after a long journey's travel, only to hear the dire news...

Complications
Addiction : Simphalas smokes his special herb mix at nights on his pipe, a tradition that has pass from generations, and not to be avoided.
Enemy : Fermen, a defiler of nature. He deals with dark entities and aberrant magics
Hatred : Simphalas Hates Fermen
Reputation : Fermen's plot to blame Simphalas was a success, even if his innocence was proved, many still fear the ranger, believing him an agent of the Dark

Abilities ( 30 pp)
Strength 2 , Stamina 2 , Agility 3 , Dexterity 3 , Fighting 2 , Intellect 1 , Awareness 3 , Precence -1 .

Powers ( 0 pp)

Advantages ( 27 pp)
Close attack 3 , Defensive roll 1 , Evasion 1 , Favored env (forests) 1 , Imp. Aim 1 , Imp. Critical (bow) 1 , Move by action 1 , Power attack 1 , Precise attack (ranged: Cover, concealment) 2 , Equipment 9 , Quick draw 1 , Ranged attack 4 , Tracking 1

Skills ( 23 pp)
Acrobatics 4 (+ 7 ), Deception 0 (+ -1 ), Athletics 4 (+ 6 ), Expertise( Trapmaster ) 8 (+ 11 ), Insight 4 (+ 7 ), Treatment 6 (+ 7 ), Persuacion 0 (+ -1 ), Technology 0 (+ 1 ), Close Combat(spear) 2 (+ 4 ), Vehicles 0 (+ 3 ), Sleight of Hand 0 (+ 3 ), Perception 10 (+ 13 ), Intimidation 0 (+ -1 ), Investigation 0 (+ 1 ), Stealth 8 (+ 11 ),

Offence
Initiative: 3
Bow + 7 Attack for DC: 20 Range: Ranged
Javelin + 7 Attack for DC: 19 Range: Ranged
Spear + 7 Attack for DC: 20 Range: Melee
Log trap Area attack for DC: 16 1: Dazed, 2: Stunned, 3: Incapacitated . Resisted by Dodge
Net trap Area attack for DC: 16 1: Hindered 2: Immobile, 3: Paralyzed . Resisted by Dodge.
Sword + 5 Attack for DC: 20 Range: Melee

Defence ( 10 pp)
Dodge: 6 (Equip: 2 + advtng/powers: 0 ) Parry: : 6 (Equip: 2 + advtng/powers: 0 )
Toughness: 6 (Equip: 3 + advtng/powers: 1 )
Fortitude: 6 (Equip: 0 + advtng/powers: 0 )
Will: 6 (Equip: 0 + advtng/powers: 0 )

Equipment Cost
Bow 6
Knife 2
Spear 4
Chain mail 1
Medium shield 4
Sword 4
Javelin 4
Adventuring kit 3
Traps:
- Log trap ( Affliction 6 : 1: Dazed, 2: Stunned, 3: Incapacitated . Resisted by Dodge. Triggered 3 (When target walks over designated area) . Flaw: Additional move action to activate. Check required Expertise (Trapmaster) · 17 point/s
-AP: Net Trap ( Affliction 6 : 1: Hindered 2: Immobile, 3: Paralyzed . Resisted by Dodge. Triggered 3 (When target walks over designated area) Indirect, Subtle, Area Burst Flaw: Additional move action to activate. Check required Expertise (Trapmaster)) · 1 point/s
Last edited by Evolución on Tue Oct 30, 2012 8:33 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Evolución
Paragon
Paragon

Postby Ryan M. Danks » Tue Oct 30, 2012 5:04 pm

Looks good so far, but remember that you are only 18 years old. Your backstory could have usefulness of an enemy, especially since rangers train away from towns, handle real life situations and venture into elven territory every other season for additional training.

Rangers are closer to Jedi in how they are trained, but this is your first mission on your own. (You are a fully graduated ranger, though.)

EDIT: Not sure about the traps. I love them as a concept, but you would have to set them somehow. Maybe an Activation flaw attached? I'm not sure how to do this. How were you intending for it to work?

At any rate, until/unless we figure out a better way to use these abilities, attach a skill to them and make it at least a Standard action to activate and I'll let you purchase it as Equipment. Powers have mostly been reserved for magical items and similar abilities so far and the trap, while designed as a power, isn't much more actionable than a sword or bow.
Ryan M. Danks
Firebrand
Firebrand

Postby Evolución » Tue Oct 30, 2012 5:12 pm

Ryan M. Danks wrote:Looks good so far, but remember that you are only 18 years old. Your backstory could have usefulness of an enemy, especially since rangers train away from towns, handle real life situations and venture into elven territory every other season for additional training.

Rangers are closer to Jedi in how they are trained, but this is your first mission on your own. (You are a fully graduated ranger, though.)

EDIT: Not sure about the traps. I love them as a concept, but you would have to set them somehow. Maybe an Activation flaw attached? I'm not sure how to do this. How were you intending for it to work?

At any rate, until/unless we figure out a better way to use these abilities, attach a skill to them and make it at least a Standard action to activate and I'll let you purchase it as Equipment. Powers have mostly been reserved for magical items and similar abilities so far and the trap, while designed as a power, isn't much more actionable than a sword or bow.

Thanks for the quick input on the traps. The way I had thought about it was that anticipating a confrontation, the ranger sets a trap in a tactical location. He needs a standard action to set the trap (as by the Trigger modifier). I won't mind adding a skill attached to it, but the duration required to set the trap would be the same. I could add activation as a flaw and have it be one full round. Thoughts?
Evolución
Paragon
Paragon

PreviousNext

Return to M&M Game Room