Mutants & Masterminds
HQ    ABOUT M&M    SUPER-VISION    GIMMICK'S GADGETS    M&M SUPERLINK    ATOMIC THINK TANK    M&M SHOP
Saving the world, one d20 roll at a time

Legacy of War - OoC

This forum is the place for Mutants & Masterminds Play-By-Post games. Please read the M&M Game Room rules before starting or joining a game. Enjoy!

Moderators: The Mod Squad, The Justice League

Re: Legacy of War - Recruitment (Closes 10/15)

Postby Ryan M. Danks » Thu Oct 18, 2012 10:05 am

Harry Ham Bone wrote:When Umnir was a child, he was very mischevious. He constantly stealing things out of people's pockets, and hiding in places to scared them. This behavior and skill captured the interest of Artemis Stern, an agent of the royal espionage society, the King's Couriers.

On the Day of Choosing (the Rogue wasn't present on the day of choosing, he left much sooner), Umnir was confronted by Artemis and was asked if he wanted to be her apprentice. His father, being a poor carpenter, and wanting a better life for his son than his, gave Umnir full permission to travel with Artemis to the royal capital of Paladin City.

Now, ten years after he left (that's a fitting timeframe for him leaving before the day of choosing, which was only three years ago), Umnir returns with his teacher, who has become a sort of surrogate mother to him because his real mother died of illness when he was just an infant, to his town of birth. He had studied and trained over the years in the skills of an acrobat, an assassin, and especially a thief, and has even been given the ironic nickname of "The Grim" because of his un-mercenary-like chipper attitude. But this new mission bears a fog of mystery, as even his beloved teacher won't tell him why they are returning to Redmont Barony...

Note the necessary changes.

I hadn't considered Artemis being a chick. I guess it doesn't change anything, and means that we have two female masters. That will work.

It occurs to me that I did not state the name of the capital city for you guys. I want this to be unique for you guys, not just a copy of what I did in the past (and that means fresh for me :)), so let's go with Paladin City for the bustling city that surrounds Aralua Castle.
Ryan M. Danks
Firebrand
Firebrand

Re: Legacy of War - OoC

Postby Ryan M. Danks » Thu Oct 18, 2012 10:28 am

Put the game up. I only placed three of you at the inn, as they were the ones who would definitely be there during the current event. The original post already states how the rogue would arrive. That only leaves kenmadragon to come up with a reason for being there.

Please remember, you all know each other (although it has been a LONG time since anyone has seen the rogue) and are, more or less (depending on you), friends.
Ryan M. Danks
Firebrand
Firebrand

Postby Ryan M. Danks » Thu Oct 18, 2012 10:42 am

kenmadragon wrote:Powers: 32
Mystic Senses Senses 1 (magical awareness) 1p
Sorcery Magic 6 19p array, 25p
BE: Blast 6 [extras: Area(burst); Variable Descriptor 1(elemental)]
AE: Move Object 6 [extras: Perception; feats: Precise]
AE: Teleport 2 [extras: Accurate, Action(move), Easy, Extended, Portal; flaws: Limited to Extended; feats: Change Direction, Change Velocity, Turnabout] We already discussed that travel powers beyond a hundred feet or so were not okay for this game. This one has a range of 4 miles!
AE: Illusion 6 (all visual, auditory, 125cuft) [feats: Increased Area]
AE: Concealment 4 (normal visual, all olfactory) Insubstantial 2 [feats: Precise] Movement 1 (permeate) ^ This adds up to 21 points
AE: Nullify 6 [extras: Broad(magic), Simultaneous; feats: Precise]
AE: Deflect 6 [extras: Reflect; feats: Accurate 3, Homing 3]
Magic in the Blood Enhanced Dodge 3 3p
Wizard Robes Protection 5 Feature(hides Elven Blade) [flaws: Noticeable(robe is very long and flowy, though it appears to be tough as earth), Removable] 3p

This has changed since I last took a gander. I like that it's more robust and detailed. Some very cool spells there, but some things we've already addressed made it back in.
Ryan M. Danks
Firebrand
Firebrand

Postby Ryan M. Danks » Thu Oct 18, 2012 11:05 am

A fitting song for the occasion. Very cool!
Ryan M. Danks
Firebrand
Firebrand

Postby Ryan M. Danks » Thu Oct 18, 2012 5:34 pm

Harry, that was good initiative on the post, and good characterization, I feel. The thing you need to keep in mind about RPing in the style that we are doing (you were perfect for freeform) is that, as far as the setting goes (which means anything not internal of your character) you should only react to what the GM sets up. You have full control of your character's actions, but not of the world around him.

For instance, you added things to the scene that were not established beforehand by the GM (mercenaries and pockets left open). DCA has a mechanic as part of the Hero Point system that allows you to alter the scene, with GM approval.

How I laid out the scene was the battle school graduates were present (no mercenaries) and you and Artemis were not present yet. Working off of that fiction, you can control what your character does (enters the inn and tries to find a table or spot at the bar, most likely). If you want there to be something present (have an idea to pick pockets, for instance) then you should ask me if you see any prospects and possibly roll Perception (although I can ask for that later, if needed).

You have a good style, you just need to respect the fiction more. I don't mind minor details being created by you, like how you portrayed Artemis's attitude, but you have to approach anything that could affect the scene as though you are a character in a story that I'm writing. You can have desires for something to happen and take action towards it, but I have to give you the opportunity through the setting. You can't control that part.
Ryan M. Danks
Firebrand
Firebrand

Postby Harry Ham Bone » Thu Oct 18, 2012 6:02 pm

Crap. Crap. I just deleted my post after I read that my character comes in later. I'm so sorry.
Harry Ham Bone
Groupie
Groupie

Postby Ryan M. Danks » Thu Oct 18, 2012 6:16 pm

He doesn't come in later, I left it open for him to come in now, as I said above in this thread. Go ahead and post his and Artemis's entrance to the inn.

You might want to read some IC threads on the site to get a feel of how turns usually work. I have made it a habit of reading through the IC and OoC threads here to learn both how to post and how to format character sheets.
Ryan M. Danks
Firebrand
Firebrand

Postby Ryan M. Danks » Thu Oct 18, 2012 8:48 pm

Much better, Harry.

That bit about the man outside was strictly for flavor and did nothing to prevent me from moving the story along (in fact, it serves the story I set up, even though you didn't know it :)), which makes it completely fine.
Ryan M. Danks
Firebrand
Firebrand

Postby Ryan M. Danks » Fri Oct 19, 2012 10:40 am

Giving our warrior until tonight before I move the story along a bit. We'll stay in the inn, so he'll still be able to introduce himself to the story after tonight, if he doesn't do so before.
Ryan M. Danks
Firebrand
Firebrand

Postby bi0philia » Fri Oct 19, 2012 3:40 pm

:oops:
huge apologies, the laptop cord bit the dust so i haven't been able to access the boards but my handy brother managed to get it working again so here i am. I got some reading to do in the ic thread then i'll have a post up! thanks for the patience
bi0philia
Heavyweight
Heavyweight

Postby Ryan M. Danks » Fri Oct 19, 2012 4:16 pm

No prob!

Not trying to be board nazi or anything.
Ryan M. Danks
Firebrand
Firebrand

Postby Ryan M. Danks » Sat Oct 20, 2012 11:55 pm

Great roleplaying guys. The baron will provide riding horses (read: skittish demons that will buck and trample you at the first sign of a hostile dagger), not trained warhorses like Tarkus was given.
Ryan M. Danks
Firebrand
Firebrand

Postby Harry Ham Bone » Sun Oct 21, 2012 5:17 am

I just remembered that Umnir's backstory says that his mother is dead, so should we disregard that exchange about visiting her?
Harry Ham Bone
Groupie
Groupie

Postby bi0philia » Sun Oct 21, 2012 10:34 am

nice roleplaying guys, i apologize, weekends are a little busy for me, but i'll try to get a post up IC today.

also Ryan I have my eyes on your when worlds collide game!
bi0philia
Heavyweight
Heavyweight

Postby Plan B » Sun Oct 21, 2012 11:57 am

Harry Ham Bone wrote:I just remembered that Umnir's backstory says that his mother is dead, so should we disregard that exchange about visiting her?

Tarkus can just be wrong.
    Insert witty comment here.
Plan B
Mastermind
Mastermind

PreviousNext

Return to M&M Game Room