Mutants & Masterminds
HQ    ABOUT M&M    SUPER-VISION    GIMMICK'S GADGETS    M&M SUPERLINK    ATOMIC THINK TANK    M&M SHOP
Saving the world, one d20 roll at a time

Legacy of War - OoC

This forum is the place for Mutants & Masterminds Play-By-Post games. Please read the M&M Game Room rules before starting or joining a game. Enjoy!

Re: Legacy of War - Recruitment (Closes 10/15)

Postby Mark Reuter » Sat Oct 13, 2012 10:48 am

By the by, if I wanted to have more than one of a piece of equipment (multiple throwing daggers or two rapiers), how can I do that? Can I by one or more ranks of the progression feat and increase the number I have (rank 1 = 2, rank 2 = 4, rank 3 = 8, etc.)?
Mark Reuter
Overlord
Overlord

Postby Ryan M. Danks » Sat Oct 13, 2012 11:25 am

Mark Reuter wrote:Good news! I have finished revising my character (on paper). Bad news! Probably won't be able to get to a computer this weekend and make the changes onsite before the end of recruitment.

We'll wait a day or so.

As for Equipment, I'm not sure what you're after, nor what's common. If you want to use two in a fight then add an extra (Multiagtack or Split, I reckon). If you want to carry more, I don't see why it would be an issue, especially for the rapier. Batman has ,any bat arranges but they don't worry about ammo counting, so I would say that throwing daggers would be similar.

The point of equipment though is that I can remove it easily, if the game goes that direction. If you want something more important to your character, make it a Device. If you're trying to avoid getting disarmed, I would suggest that you are metagaming a bit and are trying to stifle the fun of the fiction (which is in the struggle to eventual success). With how tight everyone else's builds are, if you have enough points left over to worry about something like this I wonder if you're meeting your class concept very well.

I don't know what you're after so it's difficult to give you an answer of the best way to do that.
Ryan M. Danks
Firebrand
Firebrand

Postby Mark Reuter » Sat Oct 13, 2012 11:35 am

As part of his training, he bought multi-attack on his STR, and then a naked power advantage of multi-attack 2 (usable with two light weapons). I wanted to represent his ability to fight two-handed without buying it on his equipment, thereby letting any bozo who picks up his daggers or swords to be able to wield them in such a fashion. I want two rapiers and 6-8 throwing daggers.
Mark Reuter
Overlord
Overlord

Postby Ryan M. Danks » Sat Oct 13, 2012 2:01 pm

Ah, okay (although he'll probably look funny walking around with two rapiers, since the common method was to use a rapier with a dagger or main gauche).

Still, easy enough to do. Purchase both as equipment and then buy a Feature for them (in the Equipment section) that says something to the effect of "first disarm removes use of the multiattack Extra" (for the rapiers) and something to denote a non-easy removable (as per the flaw - the standard Removable) for the daggers - meaning you can't be disarmed of them.

As long as you don't go crazy throwing a dagger every round for a minute, I won't make you count, just like Batman and his many batarangs.

At least, that's how I would do it. Anyone else have suggestions on how to build that?
Ryan M. Danks
Firebrand
Firebrand

Postby kenmadragon » Sat Oct 13, 2012 2:19 pm

For the daggers, I would say just pay for one, then add a Feature next to it, saying (10 daggers). That way, you use one piece of equipment which you just have copies of. And seeing as daggers are really common in fantasy settings, I don't think it should be much more than that. So, like with the whole, 'guns' thing in M&M., you are just buying a removable piece of equipement, but have -technically- infinite ammuntion, but can 'run out' as a complication. So, either the single dagger as an equipment and add the feature saying you have a ton of them, and add a complication to them to say, limited number, I can run out of throwing knives. As for the rapiers, pay for the rapier and the main gauche as equipment (they are techinically the same things mechanically, both are 'swords', just one is a rapier, the other a main gauche) and buy Multiattack X as a power with the Limited (requires 2 weapons in hand) flaw.

As to editing my build, I'll get right to it. My guess with the robes and sword was to have the robes be Protection 3 [flaws: Removable] Linked Enhanced Advantages 2(Equipment 2). That way, whenever I have the robes, I have the sword, and though the sword can be disarmed, I technically can get the sword from the robes, because the equipment is linked to the robes. I can render that as the robe produces an elven blade for the wearer in need, and though the sword is not magical itself, it is made by the magic of the robes. And to the whole Enhanced Dodge bit, there was no way in the Nine H*lls that I would put that in an array.
kenmadragon
Mastermind
Mastermind

Postby Walking Dad » Sat Oct 13, 2012 2:43 pm

Ryan M. Danks wrote:... and Walking Dad said he'd try to get his ranger done but seemed questionable as to his ability to do so in time. ...

Sorry, that is right and additionally I applied before to another game and the character was accepted. So I wish you fun and hope you all have no hard feelings for me.

Have a lot of fun and good gaming!
English isn't my native language. Have patience, please.

WD's PbP characters (3e)
Martian Manhunter builds
Walking Dad
Luminary
Luminary

Postby bi0philia » Sun Oct 14, 2012 4:10 pm

warrior is down on paper but it's not completely satisfying and i'm flirting with the idea of the ranger now that it's open.

I have some friends that are moving in the morning so i plan on spending the rest of the day and early Monday hanging out( then i have to get my license renewed), So i'll have it up in the afternoon.

I apologize for my flip flopping/letting it get right down to the wire here, but i think this will be a fun game and i hope i can get something together in time.
bi0philia
Heavyweight
Heavyweight

Postby Harry Ham Bone » Sun Oct 14, 2012 4:15 pm

Is the bard taken? Because that one sounds like a fun class to play. I imagine it would be more focused on interaction skills than combat though.
Harry Ham Bone
Groupie
Groupie

Postby Plan B » Sun Oct 14, 2012 4:18 pm

Bard to memory is a hotly contested role.

I think it may be the only one
    Insert witty comment here.
Plan B
Mastermind
Mastermind

Postby Harry Ham Bone » Sun Oct 14, 2012 4:21 pm

So... Is that a no?
Harry Ham Bone
Groupie
Groupie

Postby Plan B » Sun Oct 14, 2012 4:27 pm

I don't think its taken.

I'd throw up a character and have a go.
    Insert witty comment here.
Plan B
Mastermind
Mastermind

Postby flynnarrel » Sun Oct 14, 2012 4:48 pm

Harry Ham Bone wrote:Is the bard taken? Because that one sounds like a fun class to play. I imagine it would be more focused on interaction skills than combat though.

Nothing's 'taken' until the GM decides which characters he wants, I've submitted a bard already, but if you feel strongly, put forth a character. Good luck. Warrior hasn't been submitted for, ranger neither, though someone expressed interest.
flynnarrel
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Harry Ham Bone » Sun Oct 14, 2012 5:30 pm

Celdum Lark PL6
Male
Hair Color: red
Eye Color: green

Abilities: 30pts
Str:0 Sta:0 Agl:3 Dex:0 Fgt:2 Int:3 Awe:2 Prs:5

Defenses: 23pts
Dodge:6 Parry:6 Fortitude:4 Toughness:6 Will:8

Skills: 13pts
Acrobatics 5 (+8)
Close Combat (Lute) 5 (+7)
Deception 2 (+7)
Expertise (The Arts) 7 (+10)
Persuasion 7 (+12)

Advantages: 13pts
Taunt
Beginner's Luck
Luck 4
Attractive
Inspire
Skill Mastery (Expertise {The Arts})
Fascinate 2 (Expertise {The Arts})

Powers: 8pts
Lute: Removable Array (-2pts) • 10pts
-Hit With Lute: Strength-Based Damage 5 • 5pts
-Empowering Song of Courage: Enhanced Strength 3, Enhanced Fighting 2, Affects Others, Concentration, Sense Dependent (hearing) • 1pt
-Enfeebling Song of Weakness: Perception Area Weaken 5, Sense Dependent (hearing), Selective • 2pts
-Gentle Song of Healing: Perception Area Healing 5, Concentration, Sense Dependent (hearing), Limited to Allies • 2pts

Offense
Initiative +3
Unarmed +2: Close, Damage 0
Lute +7: Close, Damage 5 plus others

30+23+13+13+8=90pts

So, there's my bard. As you can see he's more of a support and interaction guy than actual combat. Do I make the cut?
Last edited by Harry Ham Bone on Mon Oct 15, 2012 12:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Harry Ham Bone
Groupie
Groupie

Postby Harry Ham Bone » Sun Oct 14, 2012 6:08 pm

Also, I was thinking he could wear mainly green and speak with an Irish accent. Would that be okay?
Harry Ham Bone
Groupie
Groupie

Postby kenmadragon » Sun Oct 14, 2012 6:18 pm

question about the song of enfeeblement...why in the world is it not Selective?!? By the way you have it, it would drain allies as well, so I think you might need to edit it...otherwise, it looks pretty clean at first glance.
kenmadragon
Mastermind
Mastermind

PreviousNext

Return to M&M Game Room