Mutants & Masterminds
HQ    ABOUT M&M    SUPER-VISION    GIMMICK'S GADGETS    M&M SUPERLINK    ATOMIC THINK TANK    M&M SHOP
Saving the world, one d20 roll at a time

Legacy of War - OoC

This forum is the place for Mutants & Masterminds Play-By-Post games. Please read the M&M Game Room rules before starting or joining a game. Enjoy!

Re: Legacy of War - Recruitment

Postby Plan B » Tue Oct 09, 2012 5:55 am

Gonna admit some what put off by the "wiff factor" of pl 5 but i'm going to put forward a warrior or knight. Background to follow.

Tarkus (pl 6)

Abilities (38)
Strength: 4
Stamina: 4
Dexterity: 0
Agility: 2
Fighting: 5
Intelligence: 0
Awareness: 2
Presence: 2

Defences (11)
Parry: 5
Dodge: 5
Toughness: 7/4
Fortitude: 7
Will: 5

Skills: (17)

Athletics 4 (+8)
Intimidate 8 (+10)
Notice 6 (+8)
Persuasion 6 (+8)
Insight 6 (+8)
Expertise: war 4

Advantages: (14)
Benefit (Knight), equipment 2, favored enviroment (mounted), improved iniative, improved critial (sword), interpose, languages 2, luck,startle, sidekick 6 (Thunder),Takedown attack 2, Well Informed

Powers: 8pp
Aura or Mercy: Healing 1 (area, selective, action 2 (minor/free stablising) 7pp+1pp
AP: Valorous Smite ( adds extra secondary effect to str damage)

Equipment:
Chainmail: protection 3 3 ep
Sword: Str based damage 3 improved crit 4 ep

Offense
Initiative +6
Grab, +4 (DC Spec 13)
Sword, +5 (DC 22) 18-20
Unarmed, +5 (DC 19)

Total: Abilities 38 + Powers 8 + Skills 17 +Defense 11 + Advantage 14 = 90

Thunder-Warhorse (Side-kick 6) PL 6

Strength 6, Stamina 6, Agility 0, Dexterity -2, Fighting 2, Intellect -4, Awareness 1, Presence -2

Advantages
Great Endurance, equipment, takedown attack (trampling)

Skills
Close combat: unarmed 4

Powers

Gallop: Speed 4 (Speed: 30 miles/hour, 500 feet/round)
Large: Growth 4 (+4 STR, +4 STA, +2 Intimidate, -4 Stealth, -2 active defenses, +1 size category; Permanent)

Offense
Initiative +0
Grab, +2 (DC Spec 16)
Throw, +0 (DC 20)
Unarmed, +6 (DC 21)

Equipment
Barding: protection 2

Languages
Native Language

Defense
Dodge 4, Parry 4, Fortitude 6, Toughness 8/6, Will 4

Power Points
Abilities -2 + Powers 12 + Advantages 3 + Skills 2 (4 ranks) + Defenses 13 = 30
Last edited by Plan B on Fri Oct 12, 2012 6:37 pm, edited 3 times in total.
    Insert witty comment here.
Plan B
Mastermind
Mastermind

Postby Ryan M. Danks » Tue Oct 09, 2012 8:15 am

@Plan B: I think you hit both concepts right in the middle. If we don't get any other fighter submissions, he'll be perfect. The Knight is meant to be more of a paladin, a leader that uses divine/virtue magic to smite and protect, which offsets him from the warrior, a grizzled weapons master.

You've kind of hit both in the middle, actually, what you have is closer to a warrior with a horse, as you don't have the leadership or virtue magic.

Remove the horse and spend those points on fighting and he'd be a perfect warrior. Find some room for the beginnings of virtue magic and he'd be a perfect knight.
Ryan M. Danks
Firebrand
Firebrand

Postby Ryan M. Danks » Tue Oct 09, 2012 8:16 am

Given Plan B's very tight build, I think I'm going to increase the power level starting out to 6 (90 points).
Ryan M. Danks
Firebrand
Firebrand

Postby kenmadragon » Tue Oct 09, 2012 8:35 am

Ok, now I have now I have to revise my build to put him up to power level 6... Should be easier to pay for that magic now...

:arrow: Link to character build, have about four points left, will work on back ground in a little bit. http://www.atomicthinktank.com/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=45403&p=1053149#p1053149
Last edited by kenmadragon on Tue Oct 09, 2012 5:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kenmadragon
Mastermind
Mastermind

Postby Plan B » Tue Oct 09, 2012 8:57 am

Ryan M. Danks wrote:@Plan B: I think you hit both concepts right in the middle. If we don't get any other fighter submissions, he'll be perfect. The Knight is meant to be more of a paladin, a leader that uses divine/virtue magic to smite and protect, which offsets him from the warrior, a grizzled weapons master.

You've kind of hit both in the middle, actually, what you have is closer to a warrior with a horse, as you don't have the leadership or virtue magic.

Remove the horse and spend those points on fighting and he'd be a perfect warrior. Find some room for the beginnings of virtue magic and he'd be a perfect knight.

That was some what intentional, as i hadn't descided what role i wanted to go towards, so he could fill either role if no-one more suited/intrested was put foward.

Leadership advantages are naff, so i'd never use them.

And i have no idea what virture magic is meant to be. (Magic is pretty damned unvirtious with you ask me)

Also is there a reason why warriors can't ride horses?
Plan B
Mastermind
Mastermind

Postby kenmadragon » Tue Oct 09, 2012 9:13 am

The knit is more like the cavalier charger on the horse, the warrior is like the knight errant on his feet. Think holy magic like healing or divine blessings in terms of virtue magic, like the dungeons and dragons paladin.
kenmadragon
Mastermind
Mastermind

Postby Ryan M. Danks » Tue Oct 09, 2012 9:17 am

Eh, the knight was going to be offset as a mounted fighter just as their historical counterparts, whereas the warrior was meant to be the trained foot soldier who happens to be awesome. I don't see why a warrior, especially one trained in a battleschool that trains up knights, wouldn't be trained as support cavalry of some form.

As for the magic, if you're familiar with the Guardian, then that would be excellent. If not, typical paladin laying on hands/smiting would serve just as well, basically divine magic (virtue was for those who want his strength of character and code of honor to be the source of his power instead of a deity) - we have no dedicated priest because playing the healer in an rpg is usually meh, especially one like M&M where you can pretty much heal up before the next encounter. Think Priest (the magical kind) mixed with Warrior for the Knight.

Like I said, they are guidelines, you don't have to get the magic perfectly to my specifications. Take some creative license. But the Knight is set apart from the warrior, especially a mounted warrior, by his use of divine/virtue magic. If magic doesn't suit you, you already have a pretty decent warrior write-up.
Ryan M. Danks
Firebrand
Firebrand

Postby Ryan M. Danks » Tue Oct 09, 2012 9:19 am

kenmadragon wrote:The knit is more like the cavalier charger on the horse, the warrior is like the knight errant on his feet. Think holy magic like healing or divine blessings in terms of virtue magic, like the dungeons and dragons paladin.

Beat me to it.

Does anyone know of a way to prolong injuries to make them more meaningful? As a supers game, M&M rules are plenty fine, but for fantasy, I believe, damage shouldn't leave so quickly. I still want this to be epic though...
Ryan M. Danks
Firebrand
Firebrand

Postby kenmadragon » Tue Oct 09, 2012 9:22 am

How common are attack effects stronger than Damage 5? Also, how useful would Impervious 5 on my Wards power if I have a dodge of 7?
kenmadragon
Mastermind
Mastermind

Postby Ryan M. Danks » Tue Oct 09, 2012 9:24 am

kenmadragon wrote:How common are attack effects stronger than Damage 5? Also, how useful would Impervious 5 on my Wards power if I have a dodge of 7?

Well, since we're increasing to PL 6, damage above 5 is pretty standard fare for you guys. Fighting ogres and such are going to be devastating.

Impervious, usually, is pretty weak, as far as I can tell, especially at low levels like what we have. It would protect you from minor attacks, but not from a dedicated fighter.
Ryan M. Danks
Firebrand
Firebrand

Postby Plan B » Tue Oct 09, 2012 9:33 am

Would there be a point?

If the knight is meant to have a healing effect wouldn't make things more complicated with no point at all.

On related not i'm considering a healing aura along the lines of:

Healing Aura: Healing 1 (area, selective, action 2 (minor/free) 6pp

Yay or Nay?
Plan B
Mastermind
Mastermind

Postby Ryan M. Danks » Tue Oct 09, 2012 9:38 am

Sounds good to me.

On that note, the Guardian from the link above has an effect with maces (you can use whatever you want) where when he strikes on the third hit he heals himself and nearby allies simultaneously.

Maybe a unique take on it, and a way to give you some cheap virtue/divine magic, would be to give him a healing effect linked to an attack, and an alternate power that smites the foe (burns him the next round, or something else that says "Smite Thee!" to you).

Just an idea. Go crazy.
Ryan M. Danks
Firebrand
Firebrand

Postby flynnarrel » Tue Oct 09, 2012 12:42 pm

Kroonin (the Bard-barian)

[Despite a silliness of the name, I'm hoping the world you've crafted can have a place for someone like Kroonin. As a character, he strikes me as fun to play.]

They say dwarves have no talent for any music that those above the surface of the land would want to hear.

They say this is especially so for the Dwarves at the Northern tip of the Ragnarock Mountains where the chill cold can gnaw a humaniod's digits to the bone and they have naught but barren, snow-choked landscape sparse of beauty to inspire the soul to melody.

There exists a dwarven community far from The Smoking Mountain. Other dwarves might even consider them uncivilized because of it. They keep watch of the northern borders of the dwarven kingdom from any of the myriad of threats that the cold North has to offer. It is oft said they have more in common with the Wild Elves of the Northern Sylvan forest - both groups of people adapt to their harsh climate stoically and have a grudging respect and brusk trade with one another.

They would say that there is no way such a person, borne with ice in their veins and frost on their beards could appreciate the subtleties of rhythm, tones, and cadence.

'They''d be wrong.

Dulf Steelarm, son of Krolag Steelarm was inspired from hearing music on a trades expedition with his father, a master blacksmith, to the Southern lands of Redmont. The young adult dwarf, a smith of no small talent himself, grew to liking the city, it's culture and art, but most of all, it's music. He announced to his father that he would not be returning to the icy mountain. Krolag was none pleased but his grown son had that right to decide for himself.

The older dwarf was not without his tricks however. He arranged a marraige for Dulf to one of the most steadfast clans of warriors, the Stonehearts, they had a daughter about the right age with fire in her soul and stone in her muscles, an untamed spirit, and many accomplishments of bravery and martial prowess, the fair and feisty Isolna. Dulf had to agree but exacted only the promise that the couple live their first year in Redmont that he might have the chance to sway his new wife to the Southern City life.

They married and in that year she begot a son, Kroonin, born as the son shone over Dulf's smith-shop in the city. After the year was up, Isolna had had enough of the soft city life and would not raise their son in this environment. She gave Dulf an ultimatum to return to the Northern Mountains. He refused.

She left for her homeland taking their son with her. Dulf, showing characteristic stubborness, wrote to her, extolling the grandiuer of the city and saying how many opportunities Kroonin would have were he here. Isolna Stoneheart, in the same stubborness steadfastly refused to relent. Thus Kroonin spent his early years learning the ways of war from his kin in the mountains. When he was 13, Kroonin's mother, leading a patrol of the borders was ambushed by Whites, the frozen abominations that roam the tundra. She did not survive.

Dulf, forlorn by Isolna's death, for he had grown to admire and even love her from afar, immediately claimed a father's Rite of Apprenticeship whereby a son had to spend a year learning the father's trade, in order to spend time with his son - the last link to Isolna Stoneheart in this world.

Kroonin had to go but was determined to hate the city, his father, blacksmithing, all of it.

They say music has the power to transform the heart, melt the ice surrounding it, mend the rends and tears of tragedy.

'They' finally got one right.

Kroonin, son of Dulf, the Blacksmith, discovered that he loved the rhythmic ringing of his father's forge. How anvils and molten metal could sing with the impact of a well-swung hammer. His father's love of music, the very thing that made Dulf forsake the land of his birth, combined with Kroonin's mother's strength of arm and sheer lust of striking.

He'd unintentionally attract crowds outside of his father's forge whenever he was working and word swiftly spread. Tavernkeep Wilhelm heard the tales even and just had to see this for himself. The music was enchanting and the musician, though thoroughly steeped in his mother's barbaric culture, was eager to learn more of Wilhelm's teachings. After the year with his father, Kroonin petitioned to apprentice with the master minstrel and Dulf gave his blessings. Luckily, the old bard has the patience of a saint. He instructed Kroonin of the power in rhythm and tones, even the limited ones that can be made by metal on metal. Kroonin soaked it up eagerly and found the soul of a bard within himself. He would never let go of the teachings and passions he gained in the Northern Mountains.

pl6 90

Strength 1/3
sta 2/5
agi 1
dex -1
fgt 1
awe 3
int -1
pre 0
[10pp]

Skills [23pp]: Athelete 1(+4), Intimidate (+10), Perception 6(+9), Insight 3(+6), Close Combat (hammer) 6(+7), Treatment 6(+5), Technology (blacksmithing) 4(+3),Stealth 2(+3/+5size)
Expertise(off Pre)-Percussion instruments 5(+5), Singing 3(+3),

Advantages [13pp]: Startle, interpose, improved smash, weapon break, Equipment 3, set up, Skill Mastery (Intimidation), improved initiative, Fearless, Luck, Great Endurance

Equipment
Chain mail (Protection +3) 3ep
War Hammer (str-based strike 2) 2ep
Large Shield (Defenses +3) 6ep
Feature: Perfectly tuned (1ep): Kroonin's shield is a perfect circle, balanced and tonal, when he strikes it with his hammer he can play it like and instrument (+2 Performance)
Cold weather clothing (immunity, Environmental cold) 1ep
Masterwork Blacksmithing tools (1ep)
Masterwork Healing kit (1ep)

Languages [2pp] Anvuil(native), Araluen, Sylvan,

Defenses
Parry 4
Dodge 4, +6 vs. Area
Toughness 8
will 6 [3ep]
fort 6 [1pp]

Powers:
Dwarven
Underground Senses: Low-light Vision, Know direction [2ep]
Dwarven Hardiness: immunity Poisons (half effect), aging(half) [1ep]
Short but stocky: Shrinking 2(Permanent) {-1str, -1 Ground Movement, +1 Active Defenses, +2 Stealth, -1 Intimidate} [2ep]
Growth 3 (no size change, Permanent) This is to indicate a density of mass, {+3 strength, +3 sta, -1Active Defenses, +1 Intimidate, [6ep]

Barbarism:
Speed 2 [1ep] (total ground speed = 1)
Dangersenses: Uncanny dodge - Sight, Evasion 1[2ep]

Bardic music [18pp+5AE]
Song of Healing - Healing, Area-Shapeable, pr 6
AE: Thunder struck - Strike 6, Area-Cone, Fort Save
AE: Roar - Affliction, Area-Cone, cumulative (Resist by Will, impaired and Vulnerable, disabled and defenseless)
AE: Countersong - immunity (Mental descriptor), affects others, area-burst, Duration-Concentration, Added Activation - Move action, Quirk - Must make noise
AE: Baleful Lullaby - Affliction, Area - Shapeable, Cumulative (Resist by Will, Entraced, Stunned, Asleep), Insidious, Quirk - must be making noise, pr 6
AE: Rhythm of Fortune - Luck Control pr 6(reroll for best, or force reroll for worst, the other ranks just help the resistable), Area burst 2, Selective, Duration - Instant, Range - Perception, Resistable by Will, Action - Standard (-3/r), luck points 6(only usable for Luck Control)
So, for a standard action the bard starts beating out the Rhythm of Fortune, spends one of the Luck points and chooses which effect - Allies (in 120') get one reroll and take the Best, or Foes (in 120') who fail a Will save, DC16 reroll once and take the worst, it only affects any person once and lasts until the start of Kroonin's next turn, if no rolls are made that turn it's wasted.

Attrib 10+ Skills 23+ Advantages 13+ Languages 2+Defenses 4+Dwarf 11+ Barbarism 4+ Music 23 = 90

Complications:

Hedonism - Kroonin likes ale, food, and partying. Unfortunately his idea of the best type of partying involves a bar brawl.

Dwarf - As a dwarf he suffers some of societies' (whatever society he's in) stereotypes of Dwarves. Not to mention the jokes.

'Uncivilized' - Even by dwarven standards, Kroonin' can sometimes forget the niceties and social customs of polite society

Quick to anger - This was originally written as 'Short-fuse', but Kroonin objected, violently.
Last edited by flynnarrel on Thu Oct 18, 2012 12:54 am, edited 4 times in total.
flynnarrel
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Walking Dad » Tue Oct 09, 2012 12:45 pm

Here is at least a picture:

Is there a deadline for finishing characters.
English isn't my native language. Have patience, please.

WD's PbP characters (3e)
Martian Manhunter builds
Walking Dad
Luminary
Luminary

Postby Ryan M. Danks » Tue Oct 09, 2012 2:09 pm

No deadline as of yet.

@flynnarrel: A mix of a warrior and a bard is pretty cool, and a nice separation of the usual rogue/bard mix. Everything looks good except for one bit of the background. I have a reason for everyone having been born in Redmont Fief, which is why the Rogue is returning to it instead of visiting for the first time.

There is a dwarven family that moved there from Smoking Mountain. Maybe the first half of your background could describe where his family is from? They could have moved to Smoking Mountain but, upon not agreeing on blacksmithing methods (or whatever), they decided to stay in Redmont Village after attending the trading festival there. Shortly afterwards, Kroonin was born.

Just a suggestion of a possible background. I really like the dwarven community you created - it would be fun to have you guys venture there and you get to see how your "people" live. Your parents could have raised you to uphold their people's traditions, so you could maintain your personality.

All of the characters are late teenagers as well, 18-19 years old.

I like him, very cool concept and I wanted everyone to be capable of fighting, to some degree, despite which "class" they chose. You hit that quite well.
Ryan M. Danks
Firebrand
Firebrand

PreviousNext

Return to M&M Game Room