Mutants & Masterminds
HQ    ABOUT M&M    SUPER-VISION    GIMMICK'S GADGETS    M&M SUPERLINK    ATOMIC THINK TANK    M&M SHOP
Saving the world, one d20 roll at a time

3e Paragons: Vanguard Agents of PAX. (OOC)

This forum is the place for Mutants & Masterminds Play-By-Post games. Please read the M&M Game Room rules before starting or joining a game. Enjoy!

Re: 3e Paragons: Vanguard Agents of PAX. (Recruitment)

Postby Kismet1992 » Thu Oct 11, 2012 2:09 am

Thanks, I have some adjustments to make. I had designed him to have combat as a secondary priority. His first love was robotics, then came teaching. Fighting was something he had to learn. I had intended him to be able to take the hit, I had actually considered making him a boxer, but that wouldn't have fit with his grappling/aura combo. Going to edit now.
"...and a Dark Star rose in the red sky, and those who had gone before It in fear were no more, and those that had gone after It in a Spirit of Vengence lost their Will and scattered to the four Winds." - an excerpt form the book of Cerberous.
Kismet1992
Bystander
Bystander

Postby Hound » Thu Oct 11, 2012 6:28 am

My math is fixed.
"Whats wrong? You came here expecting to fight a madman, and instead found a god!?"
My Characters
Hound
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Atriden » Thu Oct 11, 2012 9:20 am

if people are not busy, I wouldnt mind some feedback :)
Atriden
Hireling
Hireling

Postby badpenny » Thu Oct 11, 2012 9:51 am

Atriden wrote:David Porter

Teleportation Powers

Short Teleport: Rank 5(21pp's) Vanishes and reappears within 900 ft, leaves behind a silvery/blue ultraviolet smoke.
Extra: Subtle +2, Accurate +1/pr. rank, Change Velocity +1, Turnabout +1, Change Direction +1, Innate +1

Long Teleport: Rank 15 (52pp's) – Vanishes and reappears within 120 miles, leaves behind a silvery/blue ultraviolet smoke.
Extra: Subtle +2, Accurate +1/pr. rank, Change Velocity +1, Turnabout +1, Increased mass + 1, Change Direction +1, Innate +1

For a flat 50 points you could have Teleport 10 (Accurate, Easy, Extended) that would allow you to teleport up to 4 miles in one Move action or 1000 miles in two Move actions.

I'm not sure how Plan B feels about Subtle 2 on effects, but your "undetectable" Teleport seems in conflict with leaving behind blue smoke.

(AE)Teleport Person/object Rank 10 (1pp) – just as his teleport ability, but can forcefully teleport someone from a distance.
Extras: Subtle +2, Move to Standard -1/pr. rank, Range to Perception +2/pr. rank, Change velocity +1, Increased mass +14, Change Direction +1

Teleport attacks are very problematic. Again, I don't know how Plan B feels about them, but with it being Perception range, basically you just have to look at someone and if they fail the Dodge check, anyone without some serious movement ability is completely removed from the game (suddenly 4 miles away). That's called Save or Die.

(AE) Suffocation: Rank 10(1pp) - Creates many small portals that sucks out all air around a person. Extras: Accurate +5, subtle + 2, triggered +1

A) what is the Trigger? B) Your one rank of Trigger means it's only usable once in combat.

(AE) Blast: Rank 10 (1pp) - Creates portals that can teleport limbs and protection away from the target. Extras: Multi-attack +1/pr. rank, accuracy +5, penetration + 10, Subtle +1, Triggered +1.

Trigger problem again.

Phobia: normally he is fearless, but has an irrational fear of confined spaces

Operationalize this for the GM. What effects happen to him when he's in a confined space? How small of a space? A closet? How often is that going to happen? An elevator? An average-sized bedroom?

If he can just teleport out of the small space, then it's not really worth a Hero Point. If this is really a Power Loss issue, then we're talking a legit Complication. Otherwise it's a Quirk at best and just something to roleplay (which probably won't earn you an HP).
badpenny
Overlord
Overlord

Postby Zen_Gypsy » Thu Oct 11, 2012 10:00 am

In addition to Badpenny's comments, the fact that your Forceful Teleport requires a standard action is not a limitation of the power, that 'attack' does not have the attack advantage on it, as a suggestion, I would take it down to teleport perhaps 5ish, and link it to a damaging effect, and then it's golden, and doesn't just remove people from combat, or force DC 31 terminal velocity checks on them as you port them straight up.

Also innate on all your powers is a little excessive. While mutant powers are 'innate' in a sense, the advantage is more to represent physical forms, growth, shrinking, etc, than powers. I can't count the number of times teleporters, and mutants in general have been shut down by power nulifiers.

I may sound like a hypocrite, as I have a psionicist with zero fighting, but with Porters street orphan background that seems a little low. I'd add to the skill mix things like streetwise, and perhaps either acrobatics or athletics, maybe tech for locking picking, and drive for stolen cars, but hey, that's just me :)

Digging the background though, and love the idea of a teleporter!
"If sacred spaces are spared the ravages of war -- make all places sacred. And if the holy people are to be kept harmless from war -- make all peoples holy." -- Norrin Radd (Silver Surfer: Requiem; J. Michael Straczynski)
Zen_Gypsy
Heavyweight
Heavyweight

Postby Atriden » Thu Oct 11, 2012 1:08 pm

wow, thanks for the great response :) ! I don't have time now to make a full response, will do so tomorrow, but I can see now that forceful teleport is too powerful as it is. Will try to fix that as a first priority, maybe me and Plan B. can figure something out? lIke only being able to teleport people in the immediate area of David or something?

Again thanks ;)
Atriden
Hireling
Hireling

Postby Hound » Thu Oct 11, 2012 3:57 pm

I've made several adjustments to reflect some of the comments made.

If anyone sees any problems with my character, I would love feed back and suggestions on how to fix it.

Otherwise, have a great day.
"Whats wrong? You came here expecting to fight a madman, and instead found a god!?"
My Characters
Hound
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby badpenny » Thu Oct 11, 2012 4:24 pm

Hound wrote:"Special Agent" Jennifer Blare

Powers: 74
"All of her powers take the form of a pale blue transparent energy."
Psychic Aura
Force Field 10 Linked with Immunity 9 and Regeneration 2, Enhanced Strength 2, Enhanced Agility 2: +10 Toughness, All Environmental Conditions, All Suffocation, Disease, Poison, Regenerate every 5 Rounds, Sustained, Noticeable 2[To use enhanced abilities, she must activate her aura, which makes her glow light blue]. (27 PP)

Noticeable is not ranked; it's a flat -1.

Mental Senses
"Glimpses of the Future" Senses: Danger Sense[Precog], Enhanced Luck 2 (3 PP)

Can't speak for Plan B, but you might want to think about putting Uncontrolled on your Precog (or otherwise limiting it). Nothing derails a plot like looking into the future....

Travel Powers
Teleport 2: Accurate, Change Direction, Change Velocity, Turnabout, 120 ft, Increased Mass 2: 200 lbs. (11 PP)
AE: Flight 5: 60 mph, 900ft/rnd, Aquatic (1 PP)

This is mainly a coherency check, but what does Teleport have to do with Flight, or for that matter Aquatic Flight?

Mental Array
AE: "Psychic Blades" Strength-based Strike 4: Accurate 1, Incurable, Affects Insubstantial 2, Penetrating 8, Split 1, Improved Critical 18-20, All-out Attack(1 PP) "Jen creates two dagger like blades, one for each hand."

For descriptors sake, why the Incurable?

Complications:

Unfulfilled Aspirations: Jennifer's greatest regret is never being able to achieve her dream of being at the Olympics.

How do you envision this being rolepayed out? I'm not sure what the Olympics has to do with working for the UN. At best, it sounds like it should be relegated to her background.

Rebel: Between training for the Olympics, and then being whisked away by the United Nations, Jennifer has had little time for being a child, or even being a teen. She has never been to any real parties. She is now 18 and in full rebel mode. When ever she completes a job, she tries her best to ditch her handlers and go off to have fun.

If this only happens outside of combat, it's at best a Quirk, or again strictly background. You're better off picking Complications that A) actually complicate your [adventuring] life and B) earn you some Hero Points.

Star Struck: Unlike many super heroes, Jennifer has no secret identity, she appears on talk shows, and performs public appearances to bolster good public relations for the United Nations. Needless to say, it can go to her head.

I could see if you had picked something like Fame, and she were to be mobbed in the middle of an operation, you'd get a Hero Point, but again, how will you operationalize this? Does she have a [bad] Reputation in that she's arrogant or a PITA in some other way? If this is just fluff, it doesn't belong as a Complication.

Never Been Kissed, Teen Girl: Too busy with training in one thing or another, she has never had time for a boyfriend. She is very shy and awkward around cute/handsome men close to her age.

Okay, this at least can be utilized by the GM. But, I have to ask whether a teenager really would be employed by the UN. And it sounds like a very immature one, at that. This is not some local hero team--this is the United Nations. Geopolitics itself is at stake!
badpenny
Overlord
Overlord

Postby Hound » Thu Oct 11, 2012 7:27 pm

First, when powers are linked, they all have to be made to match. Forcefield is by nature noticeable and sustained, Regeneration is by nature noticeable(if high enough level, you can watch them heal) and by nature permanent. So I changed it to sustained, she has to be concious and mentally keeping the aura on.

Like wise the aura enhances strength and agility. Making them sustained is a simple 0/r, but making each effect noticeable is 1 point for each.

I did this all as a "flavour" for them all to work together.

I can easily seperate them and still keep each one as noticeable. Which ever you desire be needed.

The point is for her to use any power she starts glowing and paints a big metaphorical marker on her.

Precog is the "descriptor" to danger sense, just like Jedi or Spider man, she gets a "glimpse" or a "tingle" something bad is about to happen. Then she gets two enhanced luck points to show her ability to "see things" but it isn't the ACTUAL power "precog" which is 4 PP (not 1)

For her traveling powers, it is simply a matter of dividing her attention. She can either focus on teleporting around, or using her telekinesis to allow her to fly. Aquatic is added because she is using her mind to move her around, not some sort of muscle, fin, or propulsion device.

Psychic blades, part of it was I simply had lots of PP's and didn't want to go improved crit 16-20. Why it's incurable you could flavour it as it attacks the mind, body, and soul with psychic energy, making it difficult to recover from.

~~~

As for my complications, I can see why some of this may confuse you. I will expand on them further, however I see each one as a potential problem.

Unfufilled aspirations leaves her with a deep feeling of resentment, both towards her own powers and the people who took her. for 10 years she had a dream, but then through no control of her own, she can never ever complete her dream. That can be very earth shattering, and cause alot of emotional baggage.

Rebel is more of a broad stroke childish antics, she hates being ordered to do things, she wants to do things like go to the mall. Its alot of pressure for someone so young.

Star Struck: Her own fame has gone to her head. She has done many missions, completed with decent success, she is well recieved by the public. She's not going to listen to someone she doesnt know, or even to some people she does know, cause she thinks she can handle everything on her own.

Would a teenage girl he employed?

Maybe, maybe not. You could argue that no "masked" vigilante would ever actually be hired, because that goes against everything. They should ALL be trained by the military, with no secret identies, used like soldiers. That is how, if it were real, it would actually happen.

Turth be told, I was watching generator rex when I made this character, and liked the idea of a young hot shot, who was too powerful to put on the side lines, thrown into a world she might not be ready for, hoping to force her to grow up fast and become the person they know she can be.

I think alot of the problem was my "word" choices for how to describe my complications.

Badpenny you used very "text book" words for your complications.

To fix the problem I will change my complication's names to be things like... "Over confident" or "Fame - No secret identity" or "Inexperienced" and make it more.... "text book"

I will also expand on them and make them easier to understand.

Thank you for the feed back on my powers.
Last edited by Hound on Thu Oct 11, 2012 9:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My Characters
Hound
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Lost_Scholar » Thu Oct 11, 2012 7:40 pm

Made minor tweaks to Mavens background and build. Shifted the inventing quickness to a more general enhanced technology skill. Still related, but not as potentially abusive. Also updated the background to show Maven was acting in a heroic fashion prior to being recruited by PAX.
Lost_Scholar
Henchman
Henchman

Postby Hound » Thu Oct 11, 2012 7:47 pm

Here are her updated complications:

Regret and Misplaced Anger: Her dream of the Olympics were shattered, she will never achieve her dream and this weighs heavily on her mind. Her entire child hood was a giant waste. She is angry at the World for not letting her compete just because she has powers, she is angry at her powers for appearing before she could go, and she is angry at herself for wasted effort.

Over confident: She is extremely powerful at only age 18, and it is believed she will only get stronger. A combination of success in the field, and fame have gone to her head. She has a hard time listening to the ideas of others, thinks her way is the best way, and leaps in before accessing the entire situation.

Fame - No Secret Identity: She is well known to the public. She made a big splash in the media when she first appeared and sent hundreds to the hospital from an unintentional psychic attack. Thankfully no one died or was seriously hurt. It cause a huge backlash against the mutant community causing normals to fear them even more. The UN decided to fight fire with fire, once she had learned to control her powers, they forced her into the lime light to show the world that mutants should not be feared, and can make their powers work for the world, not against. She has become a poster child for mutant/human relations. If she makes mistakes, it reflects badly on the whole community. She is never off the clock. This causes lots of stress.

Inexperienced with Life: She has spent most of her life training for one thing or another. She has never had much of a chance to live a normal life. She makes simple mistakes when it comes to interacting with others, simply due to limited experiences. This most commonly pops up when she is around young attractive men close to her age. Having never had a boyfriend, kissed, or gone on a date, she has no experience and becomes uncharacteristically shy and nervous.

I hope they explain things better.
My Characters
Hound
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Plan B » Fri Oct 12, 2012 6:34 am

This has been a tough selection and there going some PMs for some final changes, after i've gone though everything with a fine tooth comb.

But the team is.

Monastery -- Construct Martial Artist -- Zen_Gypsy
Naga -- Snake totem -- McGuffin
Neural -- Telepath -- Walking Dad
Angel -- Psionic Angel -- badpenny
Maven -- Gadgeteer -- Lost_Scholar
Catalyst -- Power Mimic -- Ryan M. Danks
"Special Agent" Jennifer Blare -- Psychic Teleporter -- Hound

One of you is going to need to be team leader, so any suggestions would be welcomed.
    Insert witty comment here.
Plan B
Mastermind
Mastermind

Re: 3e Paragons: Vanguard Agents of PAX. (OOC)

Postby McGuffin » Fri Oct 12, 2012 7:58 am

Coolness, congratulations to the others who were chosen and commiserations to those who weren't.

As for team leader... Not it! :) But seriously, Angel seems like a good candidate, plenty of Persuasion to be the public face with Inspire to rally the team.

While looking over the sheets wondering who could handle the tactical side of things, I noticed Maven having 20 unspecified ranks of Expertise on him. How about parlaying some of that into Tactics and Masterplan? Not trying to tell you what to do with you're character Lost_Scholar, more thinking out loud. But the super geniuses do love their games of chess ;)
McGuffin's Workshop: Warp, Naga

Why crawl when you can walk? Why walk when you can run? Why run when you can fly?
McGuffin
Paragon
Paragon

Postby Lost_Scholar » Fri Oct 12, 2012 8:06 am

Seems like the expertise thing is an artifact of the excel sheet I used to make the character. Still, I suppose I could move a few skills around between my existing expertise and technology to shift a few points into tactics. Maven would have a +10 currently on Expertise (tactics) but I could increase this. Don't believe they still have Master plan in 3e.
Lost_Scholar
Henchman
Henchman

Postby badpenny » Fri Oct 12, 2012 8:20 am

I don't think Expertise: Tactics really does anything unless the GM is willing to use it as a kind of focused "inspiration." If you want to play a tactical genius, I think the best way is to buy powers that give you those effects, e.g.

Situational Awareness: Danger Sense [visual]
Take it All in at a Glance: Rapid Vision
Defensive Awareness: Defensive Roll

Or the Analyze Style power from Martial Arts Power Profile:

Analyze Style: Perception Ranged Affliction (Resisted and Overcome by Will; Vulnerable, Defenseless), Conditions Limited to Your Attacks, Limited Degree, Insidious, Subtle • 2 points +1 point per rank.

This could simulate knowing just how to fight someone making it easier to hit them or for your teammates to gang up on them.

But making a Tactics roll and asking, "What's the best way to fight this guy," or, "What's the best way to approach this scene?" is beyond what an Expertise skill should provide. If it doesn't do something for you, it becomes a very expensive background detail.
badpenny
Overlord
Overlord

PreviousNext

Return to M&M Game Room