Mutants & Masterminds
HQ    ABOUT M&M    SUPER-VISION    GIMMICK'S GADGETS    M&M SUPERLINK    ATOMIC THINK TANK    M&M SHOP
Saving the world, one d20 roll at a time

3e Paragons: Vanguard Agents of PAX. (OOC)

This forum is the place for Mutants & Masterminds Play-By-Post games. Please read the M&M Game Room rules before starting or joining a game. Enjoy!

Re: 3e Paragons: Vanguard Agents of PAX. (Recruitment)

Postby JeminiZero » Mon Oct 08, 2012 6:03 pm

For limited to be valid, the effect should generally only be half as effective. So protection limited to energy. Or protection limited to physical.

Counters illusions limited to illusions with no Actual mass probably isn't legit since it will always work and is not actually limited in any way.

You could alternatively just buy some sort of "mass sense" which would bypass some illusions but not those which target all senses.
JeminiZero
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby Kismet1992 » Mon Oct 08, 2012 6:37 pm

Ok, that was the basic idea. I had the idea that he had a kind of "spatial awareness" that acted similarly to tremmer sence(pardon the d&d reference) except it didn't need solid matter. For scample, it has the 5pt. version of counters comcealment(all concealmemt descriptors) and penetrates concealment. I've listed it as an exotic sence by the way.
"...and a Dark Star rose in the red sky, and those who had gone before It in fear were no more, and those that had gone after It in a Spirit of Vengence lost their Will and scattered to the four Winds." - an excerpt form the book of Cerberous.
Kismet1992
Bystander
Bystander

Postby Mr.United » Mon Oct 08, 2012 6:44 pm

Basic Idea. Working on the details.

Platinum Gold

Platinum

Gold

Just Mike

Given Name: Michael Burns
Call sign: Platinum Gold
DOB: -Unknown-
Place of Birth: -Unknown-
Current Residence: USA

Hair- Blonde
Eyes- Brown
Ethnicity- White
Known Relatives: None

[b]Background Information:
Mr.United
Mastermind
Mastermind

Postby McGuffin » Tue Oct 09, 2012 5:24 am

PlanB, any idea of when recruitment will end?
McGuffin's Workshop: Warp, Naga

Why crawl when you can walk? Why walk when you can run? Why run when you can fly?
McGuffin
Paragon
Paragon

Postby Plan B » Tue Oct 09, 2012 5:57 am

I'm thinking wednesday or thursday.
    Insert witty comment here.
Plan B
Mastermind
Mastermind

Postby Atriden » Tue Oct 09, 2012 10:55 am

all right, I have finally finished my character :D !

I have made some major changes to his power build, to make him PL 10 and I have added a background story. I hope you enjoy !
Atriden
Hireling
Hireling

Postby Hound » Tue Oct 09, 2012 10:28 pm

"Special Agent" Jennifer Blare
Description:
Height: 5'4”
Weight: 100 lbs.
Eyes: Blue
Hair: Blonde

PL 10: 180 PP
Abilities: 36 PP
STR 02/04
STA 02
DEX 00
AGI 04/06
FGT 06
INT 00
AWE 04
PRE 00

Combat:
Initiative: +10
Melee Attack: "Psychic Blades" +12 (DC 23)
Range Attack: "Psychic Throwing Blades" +14 (DC 21), "Mind Blast" +10 (DC Will 25), "Sleep" +10 (DC Fort 25)
Area Attack: "Whirlwind Strikes" Burst Area 30 Radius (DC 25)

Defenses: 18 PP
Dodge 2+6=8
Parry 2+6=8
Toughness +12
Fortitude 6+2=8
Will 8+4=12

Skills: 40 PP(80 Ranks)
Acrobatics (AGL) 6+10=16
Athletics (STR) 4+4=8
Deception (PRE) +6
Expertise (INT)[Military Tactics] +6
Insight (AWE) 8+4=12
Perception (AWE) 8+4=12
Persuasion (PRE) +6
Ranged Combat (DEX)[Mental Array] +10
Slight of Hand (DEX) +8
Stealth (AGL) 6+10=16
Technology (INT) +4

Advantages: 10 PP
Agile Feint
Close Attack 4
Improved Initiative 1
Improvised Weapon 1
Takedown 2
Equipment 1

Equipment: 1 PP (5 EP)
Cell phone
Camera
Commlink
Combat Knife: Strength Damage 1, Crit: 19-20

Powers: 75
"All of her powers take the form of a pale blue transparent energy."
Psychic Aura
Force Field 10 Linked with Immunity 9 and Regeneration 2, Enhanced Strength 2, Enhanced Agility 2: +10 Toughness, All Environmental Conditions, All Suffocation, Disease, Poison, Regenerate every 5 Rounds, Sustained, Noticeable 2[To use enhanced abilities, she must activate her aura, which makes her glow light blue]. (27 PP)

Mental Shield
"Complex Mind" Immunity 10: Mental Effects: Limited Half effects (5 PP)

Mental Senses
"Glimpses of the Future" Senses: Danger Sense[Precog], Enhanced Luck 2 (3 PP)

Travel Powers
Teleport 2: Accurate, Change Direction, Change Velocity, Turnabout, 120 ft, Increased Mass 2: 200 lbs. (11 PP)
AE: Flight 5: 60 mph, 900ft/rnd, Aquatic (1 PP)

Mental Array
"Psychic Whirlwind Strikes" Strength-based Damage 6, Burst Area: Selective, Affects Insubstantial 2, Improved Critical 19-20 (21 PP) "Jen teleports around the battle field at maximum speed, hitting all enemies in range with her Psychic Blades"
Alternate Effect: "Psychic Blades" Strength-based Strike 4: Accurate 1, Incurable, Affects Insubstantial 2, Penetrating 8, Split 1, Improved Critical 18-20, All-out Attack(1 PP) "Jen creates two dagger like blades, one for each hand."
Alternate Effect: "Psychic Thrown Blades" Ranged Strength-based Strike 2: Accurate 2, Affects Insubstantial 2, Incurable, Split 1, Penetrating 8, Improved Critical 18-20, All-out Attack (1 PP) "Jen can throw her created blades"
Alternate Effect: "Mind Blast" Ranged Affliction 10: Dazed, Stunned, Resisted by Will DC 20, Limited Degree, Cumulative (1 PP) "Jen attempts to shut down the mind"
Alternate Effect: "Mind Control" Ranged Affliction 10: Entranced, Compelled, Resisted by Will DC 20, Limited Degree, Cumulative (1 PP) "Jen attempts to control the mind, but she can not take complete control."
Alternate Effect: Mind Reading 10: Will DC 20, Cumulative, Feedback, Subtle 1 (1 PP)
Alternate Effect: Sleep 10: Fort DC 20, Subtle 1 (1 PP) "Mental shut down."
Alternate Effect: "Telekinesis" Move Object 6: Damaging, Precise, Affects Insubstantial 2, 3200 tons (1 PP)
Alternate Effect: "Telepathy" Mental Communication 3 [Subtle 1[Can not be overheard], Linked to Comprehend 2 [Understand and Understood - Flaws: Limited to "Mental Communication"] (1 PP)

Complications:

Regret and Misplaced Anger: Her dream of the Olympics were shattered, she will never achieve her dream and this weighs heavily on her mind. Her entire child hood was a giant waste. She is angry at the World for not letting her compete just because she has powers, she is angry at her powers for appearing before she could go, and she is angry at herself for wasted effort.

Over confident: She is extremely powerful at only age 18, and it is believed she will only get stronger. A combination of success in the field, and fame have gone to her head. She has a hard time listening to the ideas of others, thinks her way is the best way, and leaps in before accessing the entire situation.

Fame - No Secret Identity: She is well known to the public. She made a big splash in the media when she first appeared and sent hundreds to the hospital from an unintentional psychic attack. Thankfully no one died or was seriously hurt. It cause a huge backlash against the mutant community causing normals to fear them even more. The UN decided to fight fire with fire, once she had learned to control her powers, they forced her into the lime light to show the world that mutants should not be feared, and can make their powers work for the world, not against. She has become a poster child for mutant/human relations. If she makes mistakes, it reflects badly on the whole community. She is never off the clock. This causes lots of stress.

Inexperienced with Life: She has spent most of her life training for one thing or another. She has never had much of a chance to live a normal life. She makes simple mistakes when it comes to interacting with others, simply due to limited experiences. This most commonly pops up when she is around young attractive men close to her age. Having never had a boyfriend, kissed, or gone on a date, she has no experience and becomes uncharacteristically shy and nervous.

History:

Jennifer had always had a passion for gymnastics. When she was barely old enough to talk, Jennifer had seen the Olympics on television and begged her mother to take lessons. She had seen how normal humans, just like her, were able to go so high, and do such amazing things. They seemed to float in mid air, the closest thing for a normal human to fly.

When she was thirteen she was well on her way to being chosen for the next summer Olympics when she started getting headaches and nose bleeds. Jennifer was scared if such a thing became known, she would dropped from the selection, so she hid her pain and pushed through.

For two years she worked through the pain, she carefully hid her nose bleeds, and progressed through competitions. When she was fifteen, and getting ready for the big contest, the one to select the next American Representatives, it happened.

Maybe it was stress, maybe it was fear, maybe it was simply bad timing. But all at once her powers manifested, she began hearing the other girls thoughts. At first she thought she was going insane, but she would not let it stop her.

She took to the stage and began her routine. She could hear every mental criticism from the judges, but she pushed on until her headaches grew unbearable. She closed her eyes...

When she opened them, she was on the ground, she had, had no idea that she had been screaming bloody murder for the last ten minutes. Yet no one was at her side. No one was checking on her.

Jennifer stood up and found every man, woman and child in the arena was stunned, and asleep...

After calling 911, and speaking to dozens of police officers, she was approached by federal agents. The took her away with out so much as a word.

Later Jennifer learned she was a mutant, a powerful psychic. She was trained by the United Nations to be a soldier, to work for the greater good. She didn't have much choice in the matter, and her dream of the Olympics were forever shattered.

She is less than pleased.
Last edited by Hound on Fri Oct 12, 2012 5:01 pm, edited 11 times in total.
"Whats wrong? You came here expecting to fight a madman, and instead found a god!?"
My Characters
Hound
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Hound » Tue Oct 09, 2012 11:50 pm

First time making a Psychic character, I would love feed back. Thank you in advance :)
"Whats wrong? You came here expecting to fight a madman, and instead found a god!?"
My Characters
Hound
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Walking Dad » Wed Oct 10, 2012 1:40 pm

Aside from some names, her powers remind me more of a wizard than a psychic, a whole bunch of different things:

Forcefields, attribute enhancement, Regeneration, Teleport, Create, summoned weapon.

Just a question of taste, but I like psychics a bit more "focused".
English isn't my native language. Have patience, please.

WD's PbP characters (3e)
Martian Manhunter builds
Walking Dad
Luminary
Luminary

Postby McGuffin » Wed Oct 10, 2012 2:24 pm

Psionic as a descriptor is something that's very open to interpretations. A telekinetic or a telepath tend to be much more focused. A psionic warrior is what comes to mind by way of description for the character, something like Marvel's Psylocke.

Anyway, I like her, but that's just personal preference, although there is already a character with teleporting as their main focus, as well as a gadgeteer with teleporting as a part of their thing.

Why crawl when you can walk? Why walk when you can run? Why run when you can fly?
McGuffin
Paragon
Paragon

Postby Hound » Wed Oct 10, 2012 4:57 pm

Thank you both for feedback. You are right she is alot like psylocke.

I will try and make her more... Focused, but I kind of had the idea of melding a green lantern with psylocke.

Yes I noticed alot of porters, but that isn't too big of a deal, that is like saying there is too many fliers.

My porting is much shorter than the others, or is takes a lot out of my character.
My Characters
Hound
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Kismet1992 » Wed Oct 10, 2012 8:24 pm

Finally done starting up Void. No picture yet though. I'm not very sure of my math, so any feedback would be welcomed. Going to put backstory in a seperate pots because my phone doesn't like long posts.
EDIT: General rework. Also added defence section.

Name: Aaron Helm
Masked Identity: Void

Abilities

Strength: 4
Agility: 6
Fighting: 5
Awareness: 3
Stamina: 4
Dexterity: 4
Intellect: 4
Presence: 1

Defence
Dodge: 5
Fortitude: 5
Parry: 8
Toughness: 11
Will: 5

Skills

Close Combat (Unarmed) 8
Deception 2
Persuasion 6
Technology 2
Expertise (Tactition) 6
Expertise (Engenderaring) 8

Advantages

Choke hold
Fast grab
Improved grab
Improved hold
Improved critical (Unarmed)
Improvised weapon
Accurate attack

Benefit- U.S. security clearance
Contacts
Connected
Well informed
Languages 3 (4)
  • Russian
  • German
  • Spanish
  • Arabic
POWERS

Distortion Aura
  • Damage, Reaction 5 (DC 20) 20 pts.
  • Immunity to spatial distortion 10 pts.
Blur
  • Speed 10 (10 pts.)
  • Leaping 2 (2 pts.)
Spatial Sense
  • Exotic
  • Accurate
  • counters illusion
  • counters all concealment
  • ranged
  • extended 3
  • radius
  • awareness (spatial distortion)
  • penetrates concealment
  • tracking
Last edited by Kismet1992 on Thu Oct 11, 2012 2:54 am, edited 3 times in total.
"...and a Dark Star rose in the red sky, and those who had gone before It in fear were no more, and those that had gone after It in a Spirit of Vengence lost their Will and scattered to the four Winds." - an excerpt form the book of Cerberous.
Kismet1992
Bystander
Bystander

Postby Kismet1992 » Wed Oct 10, 2012 9:51 pm

Name: Aaron Helm
Hair: Blond
Eyes: Grey

Aaron started his adult career as a teacher at the local community college. He was hired as the TA for the general engineering professor. He quickly demonstrated an interest in robotics and was hired as the robotics professor when the previous one retired. As a hobby Aaron liked to do some wrestling, often helping the school team. He was one of the few volunteers that the coach actually encouraged people to go to for help when they were haveing trouble on the team.

This is where things start getting kinda strange. Aaron tended to go running a few times a week, and he noticed that his runs were taking much less time then normal. When he clocked it he found out he could run his four mile rout in less than a minute! By this point supers weren't automatically locked up, but they weren't exactly accepted either. Fortunately, he had been teaching at the college for a few years now and had some friends that could tell him if he was developing powers or was just insane. His friend let him know he did have the meta-gene, and it was active. Aaron's friend couldn't tell him what had activated the gene though.

Here you can guess that there is a montage of Aaron experimenting, trying to find the nature of his powers. He first tried some of the standard things super-speedsters were known to do, but they didn't work (he tried doing his paperwork fast and all that did was make it illegible, and brake several pencils.) Eventually he got the bright idea to see if he was giving off any kind of energy, and he found out that his body was surrounded by a field of slightly high gravity (also explaining whr none of the scales in his lab would work correctly.) What he eventually realised was that the field was actually distorted space, so he tried to teleport. It didn't work. He realized that he wasn't folding space, he was compressing it, so no matter how much he tried, he would stink be just walking from place to place. It was right about then that the second part of his abilities kicked in.

Remember that field of warped space we mentioned earlier? It got much stronger in the middle of one of his classes. It was a small class for him at the time, only about twelve students. He got out of there quickly to say the least. When he got home and looked in the mirror, what was standing there looked like a man shaped hole in the world. Like when a cartoon character runs through a wall and you can see their outline, but all that is left is a black hole.

Once he got his aura under control, he went back to school and had a very normal year. However, one thing that had changed was that he had a new sense, it reminded him of the way he was able to tell exactly hat position he was in without having to look, but it wasn't just his own body anymore, and he became interested in chess. (At this point he is about PL 10 as far as the in-game character goes.)

Near the school year's ended, a man in a suit offered Aaron a job as a government sponsored super. Aaron had little hope of being asked to teach at the college again, what with the constant stepping out to hero. He accepted the offer and was taken away to the training ground that the U.S. government puts its "perspectives" through. Aaron doesn't talk about it.

The person who came out of there was still recognizable as the Aaron Helm from before, but his abilities had been so grately improved that he could sense things from the other side of the building, he could brake a man's arm with a touch by warping the space around his hand, and he could spot a terrorest cell by the pattern they used to shop at the store, if he was looking.

As his first assignment, he was assigned to a UN Paragons team.
Kismet1992
Bystander
Bystander

Postby Hound » Thu Oct 11, 2012 12:06 am

Crap. Just as I was going to bed I noticed some math errors.

I don't have the full version of hero lab, so I have to re-build her from scratch to double check.

Will do tomorrow. Night all.
My Characters
Hound
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby McGuffin » Thu Oct 11, 2012 1:53 am

Kismet, I checked your math and you come up to 164 points. But you'd left out Defenses on Void's sheet and you're woefully undercapped, especially defensively.

McGuffin
Paragon
Paragon

PreviousNext

Return to M&M Game Room