Mutants & Masterminds
HQ    ABOUT M&M    SUPER-VISION    GIMMICK'S GADGETS    M&M SUPERLINK    ATOMIC THINK TANK    M&M SHOP
Saving the world, one d20 roll at a time

3e Paragons: Vanguard Agents of PAX. (OOC)

This forum is the place for Mutants & Masterminds Play-By-Post games. Please read the M&M Game Room rules before starting or joining a game. Enjoy!

Re: 3e Paragons: Vanguard Agents of PAX. (Recruitment)

Postby levinwurth » Sat Oct 06, 2012 8:22 am

Plan B wrote:@ levinwurth: Looks fine if undercapped. I not saying you need to be combat monster but Jimson is currently functioning below PL 10 you might want to either up his combat mods or drop a pl for points.

I've dropped a few points out of his powers to up his saves and such.
Active Characters

3E Time of Crisis - Fletch
Destiny: Origins - Sean
Assorted Character Builds
levinwurth
Zealot
Zealot

Postby Atriden » Sat Oct 06, 2012 9:45 am

To Plan B.

I have looked defneses up in the rulebook, this is what I found out:

Dodge & Toughness: The total of your hero’s Dodge and Toughness defenses cannot exceed twice the series power level.

Parry & Toughness: The total of your hero’s Parry and Toughness defenses cannot exceed twice the series power level.

Fortitude & Will: The total of your hero’s Fortitude and Will defenses cannot exceed twice the series power level.

So even though I am PL 9, I can have defences above 9 as long as the above rules are followed. Right?

I have fixed some of the other powers as well and made some minor changes.
Atriden
Hireling
Hireling

Postby Nineofspades » Sat Oct 06, 2012 10:25 am

Plan B wrote:Nineofspades: While i'm not opposed to the low a pl shift, you may find it difficult to stay revlant in a combat situation as one of the teams main duties is dealing with rogue supers

Ya, I figured as much. It can be rather hard for GMs to design encounters which keep a large range of PLs involved and relevent. No biggie.
Nineofspades
Luminary
Luminary

Postby McGuffin » Sat Oct 06, 2012 11:34 am

Edited my earlier post for Naga with a pic and some background. With the earlier tweaks to the crunch, I'm fairly happy with him now. Feedback is of course always welcome.
McGuffin's Workshop: Warp, Naga

Why crawl when you can walk? Why walk when you can run? Why run when you can fly?
McGuffin
Paragon
Paragon

Postby JeminiZero » Sat Oct 06, 2012 7:17 pm

Plan B wrote:@ JeminiZero: Awareness 11 and Int 0 seem out of place for a scientist, even with the very high level of skills.

Awareness 11 is really for easy bookkeeping. (Plus it tickles me to think of this guy as being wise as Solomon.) I could easily swap each point of Awareness for Will + Insight + Perception individually, which has similiar cost & benefit.

Int 0 is because ... well because I couldn't afford the PP. :(

Plan B wrote:Flight on zombie powers doesn't feel right to me.

There are actually various of flying corporeal undead, but those rely on wings. I'll modify him to the winged version then.

McGuffin wrote:Edited my earlier post for Naga with a pic and some background. With the earlier tweaks to the crunch, I'm fairly happy with him now. Feedback is of course always welcome.

I might be mixing up my mythology here. But are Nagas supposed to have Water Breath and swim speed :?:
JeminiZero
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby Ryan M. Danks » Sat Oct 06, 2012 8:42 pm

I had a thought about my mimicry character that may further allay your concerns about the Variable power.

Would you be more comfortable if I made him a general power manipulator? He could manipulate the powers of others and copying those abilities would only be a side power (not the 11 ranks of Variable that he has now) as his focus would be on manipulating (buffing/debuffing) the powers of others.

By the way, if anyone knows a good way to do some kind of power boost or group support buff that could be represented by power buffing, that would help me out greatly. :wink:

Edited: This wasn't a choice made because I thought you might be more comfortable with it, although that is a side benefit. While I was building I came to thinking this was a more interesting direction for the character.
Last edited by Ryan M. Danks on Sat Oct 06, 2012 9:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ryan M. Danks
Firebrand
Firebrand

Postby Hound » Sat Oct 06, 2012 9:08 pm

Hmmm Cricket is good for a LP game...

Maybe A robot AI, or a changling....

Hmmmm
"Whats wrong? You came here expecting to fight a madman, and instead found a god!?"
My Characters
Hound
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Adventure Dan » Sat Oct 06, 2012 10:57 pm

*Withdrawn*
Last edited by Adventure Dan on Wed Oct 10, 2012 10:34 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Adventure Dan
Cohort
Cohort

Postby Ryan M. Danks » Sat Oct 06, 2012 11:05 pm

I used badpenny's formatting to write this up. I wish this site had a photo resize option like most bbcoded forums. Ah well, it is what it is. Hope you like the build.

Catalyst
Quote: “Dead or alive, I’ll bring ‘em in!”
Power Level: 11
Concept: Power Controller
Legal Status: Citizen of the United States with a criminal record
Identity: Secret
Place of Birth: Corpus Christie, Texas
Marital Status: Single
Living Relatives: None
Height: 5’10 1/2”
Weight: 180 lbs.
Eyes: Blue
Hair: Black

Abilities
Strength 2, Stamina 2, Agility 2, Dexterity 2, Fighting 7, Intellect 2, Awareness 3, Presence 1

Advantages
Assessment, Benefit (Member of Vanguard), Contacts, Defensive Roll 2, Equipment 3, Fast Grab, Improved Grab, Improved Initiative, Ranged Attack 5, Startle, Tracking

Equipment
Handcuffs: Toughness 9 (DC 20 Sleight of Hand or Technology to pick) • 1 point
Heavy Pistol: Ranged Damage 4 • 8 points
Vanguard Body Armor: Protection 5 • 5 points

Skills
Athletics 4 (+6), Expertise: Bounty Hunter 6 (+8), Expertise: Current Events 4 (+6), Expertise: Streetwise 6 (+8), Insight 6 (+9), Intimidation 6 (+7), Investigation 6 (+8), Perception 6 (+9), Vehicles 4 (+6)

Powers
Copy Genetic Code: Variable 8 (Powers Possessed by Catalyst), Continuous, Limited to Catalysts initially in Perception Range; Enhanced Advantages 2 (Accurate 2 - with copied powers) • 58 points
Read Genetic Code: Senses 5 (Detect Mutant Powers - Acute, Analytical, Ranged, Tracking) • 5 points

Offense
Initiative +6
Heavy Pistol +7, Ranged, Damage 4
Unarmed +7, Close, Damage 2

Defense
Dodge 10, Parry 10
Toughness 9/7*, Fortitude 7, Will 5
*Without Defensive Roll bonus.

Complications
Obsession: When Mark takes on a job, it consumes him.
Responsibility - Motivation: Mark feels the need to make good on past criminal actions by bringing criminals to justice.
Weakness: Takes on the weaknesses and vulnerabilities of mimicked targets.

Languages
English

Power Points
Abilities 42 + Powers 63 + Advantages 18 + Skills 25 + Defenses 18 = 166 (Includes free Benefit)

Background
Mark Waid was ripped from the life of a criminal thug by a persuasive case officer that convinced him to try and join the police force. While his criminal record as a young man prevented him from getting in, his knowledge was put to good use bringing in criminals who skipped bail and tried to run. By the time he was twenty-four, Mark’s name was famous within the bounty hunter community, and he was called in several times as a tracking and missing persons consultant with the local police force and the Federal Bureau of Investigations.

Several months ago, Mark kicked down the door of wanted murderer Oscar Daza. Daza’s method of murder was unknown, but Mark found out quickly that it was not by normal means. The second Daza spotted Mark he let out a deafening shout that shattered not just glass, but blasted Mark through the wall. Daza was out the door before Mark could recover.

Surprising as that was to the grizzled bounty hunter, Mark was more surprised that he seemed to be able to see “into” his suspect. Daza’s genetic code was like a book to Mark, written in some transparent language over his face and bright and detailed around his throat.

The same genetic code could be seen all over the apartment, everywhere Daza had touched. With that kind of trail, it was a simple matter for Mark to catch up with his suspect. But this time, he wouldn’t be caught off guard. Just by wondering how Daza could do what he did, and thinking about his own throat, Mark was able to rewrite his own genetic code to copy Daza’s powers.

When Mark walked Daza into the police station two government agents were waiting for him with an offer he wouldn’t refuse.

Teammate Copied Powers

Neural
Force Field: Protection 3 • 3 points
Multilingual: Comprehend 2 (all languages) • 4 points
Psionic Flight: Flight 10, Dynamic • 21 points
AE: Telepathy: Mental Communication 4, Subtle 1, Dynamic • 2 points
AE: Offensive Telepathy: Mind Reading 10, Subtle 1, Dynamic • 2 points
AE: Psychic Senses: Senses 20 (Detect (Minds) [Ranged, Counters Concealment, Penetrates Concealment, Radius, Accurate, Acute, Precise, Extended 4]), Dynamic • 2 points
AE: Telekinesis: Move Object 10, Dynamic • 2 points
AE: False Image: Morph 4 (same mass, Limited to Minds), Dynamic • 2 points
Last edited by Ryan M. Danks on Mon Oct 15, 2012 5:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Ryan M. Danks
Firebrand
Firebrand

Postby catman123456 » Sat Oct 06, 2012 11:37 pm

How do you feel about a luck controller or a Death controler?
catman123456
Sidekick
Sidekick

Postby Kismet1992 » Sun Oct 07, 2012 12:57 am

Is there room for another? Trying to get my feet wet. My concept is a teleporting grappler, likely based around a spacial distortion theme.
"...and a Dark Star rose in the red sky, and those who had gone before It in fear were no more, and those that had gone after It in a Spirit of Vengence lost their Will and scattered to the four Winds." - an excerpt form the book of Cerberous.
Kismet1992
Bystander
Bystander

Postby McGuffin » Sun Oct 07, 2012 4:46 am

JeminiZero wrote:I might be mixing up my mythology here. But are Nagas supposed to have Water Breath and swim speed :?:

Certainly nagas are depicted as water-spirits in both Hinduism and Buddhism but in this case it's just a name for an unfortunate guy who was turned into a snake-human hybrid. Also naga means serpent in Sanskrit.
McGuffin's Workshop: Warp, Naga

Why crawl when you can walk? Why walk when you can run? Why run when you can fly?
McGuffin
Paragon
Paragon

Postby Plan B » Sun Oct 07, 2012 5:45 am

@ Adventure Dan: Intresting character. He'd certainly be a contrast to the rest.

@ Ryan M. Danks: Character looks solid enough, and Power Manipultation would be a dead end.

@ catman123456: I don't like luck control, and death control is very vague. So it depends on what you intend to do with it.

@ Kismet1992: I'm proably going to select 5-6 characters, it is still very much open. However a teleporter would be in direct competion with the 2 teleporters.
    Insert witty comment here.
Plan B
Mastermind
Mastermind

Postby Ryan M. Danks » Sun Oct 07, 2012 8:34 am

Plan B wrote:
@ Ryan M. Danks: Character looks solid enough, and Power Manipultation would be a dead end.

I'm sorry, I don't understand your statement, it seems contradictory. The character is written as a power controller (the Genetic Control power above gives him control of other's powers, if they fail the save).

If you missed it when looking it over, is it something you don't like? The Genetic Enhancement plays off of it as well. I can remove them and funnel the points into mimic, but then he'd be way under caps (those powers are the only way he justifies being PL 11).
Ryan M. Danks
Firebrand
Firebrand

Postby Plan B » Sun Oct 07, 2012 8:59 am

@Ryan M. Danks: Sorry my mistake, i mistook the character for a power-copier on closer examination its not.

So i'm going veto the power control concept, mostly because its going to cause me no end of head-aches.
    Insert witty comment here.
Plan B
Mastermind
Mastermind

PreviousNext

Return to M&M Game Room