Deadlands IC Ch 1 The first step of the long trail

This forum is the place for Mutants & Masterminds Play-By-Post games. Please read the M&M Game Room rules before starting or joining a game. Enjoy!
Locked
kirinke
Cosmic Scion
Cosmic Scion
Posts: 5201
Joined: Sat Sep 29, 2007 8:14 pm
Location: Behind the mayo, to the left of the cheese, next to the mystery meat leftover from last week

Re: Deadlands IC Ch 1 The first step of the long trail

Post by kirinke » Wed Nov 07, 2012 6:22 pm

The sheriff looks at you like you're half out of your mind. "I've not seen any satchels of herbs. Not much call for any around here. There's a few smaller caves around here, none big enough to hide much more than a few critters. Course there's abandoned mine shafts a plenty". The sheriff thinks for a second, "Nope only squiggly looking pictures I've ever seen was when the mayor's medallion popped out."
Cassandra HP 2, condition Hrmmmm.
The girl looked thoughtful. "Well, looks like we be dealin with a clevah an keerful critter suh. It's worrysum to me anyhew. The keerful and clevah one's are by far tha more dangrus ones ye gotta deal with." she scowled. "Plus ye helped narrow down what kinda crittah it ain't. It durn't sound like we be dealin with anyone from Nawleans, or Injun shamans gone wrong, or them furriners from the middle-east or them that follow their ways. Nor does it sound like anyone specific is bein targeted" she looked up at the sherrif. "Ye mentioned the mayor's medallion. Cud ye draw what ye saw approximately if'n we had something fer ye to mark with?"

sweetja713
Daredevil
Daredevil
Posts: 779
Joined: Sat Jul 30, 2011 1:51 pm

Re: Deadlands IC Ch 1 The first step of the long trail

Post by sweetja713 » Thu Nov 08, 2012 6:57 am

GM Post

Cassandra

The mayor scratches his head again and then barks an order at a passerby, "Tom, go in and see if ole' Gunnerson has any paper and something to make your mark with. If he does bring it out here."

A couple of minutes pass and the young man brings back some paper and what looks to be an irregular black stick. The sheriff thinks for a moment and starts drawing out a shape on the paper. "Now ya understand it was only a quick look before the mayor put it back away and I could really only make out one of the symbol looking things, but I'd say it looked something like this."

Image

"It was a big medallion, probably the size of your hand, but it had several different ones of these on there."
Need an arcane lore check from ya

Spectrum
Titan
Titan
Posts: 3831
Joined: Thu Jul 05, 2012 1:26 pm

Re: Deadlands IC Ch 1 The first step of the long trail

Post by Spectrum » Thu Nov 08, 2012 4:40 pm

sweetja713 wrote: Honesty
As you're heading to the baker's a very self important and portly man pushes by you and enters the shop.
Honesty gasps in surprise as he completely gets stomped on.. trying to get a hold on the portly man, "I'm.. I'm sorry! I'm sorry sir! Please for.." ow, "Sorry about that." and starts to stumble away.
OOC wrote:Pickpocketing, spectacles, testicles, wallet and watch..1d20+13=24
Even as the man walks away.. he stumbles himself.. something getting caught up in his feet.
Setting up a telekinetic trip wire. Hopefully, he lands face first somewhere amusing.

Bladewind
Overlord
Overlord
Posts: 4823
Joined: Thu Jun 17, 2004 11:20 am
Location: Laval

Re: Deadlands IC Ch 1 The first step of the long trail

Post by Bladewind » Thu Nov 08, 2012 5:27 pm

Stalks-from-Shadow/ Erica Clayton
Character Sheet
HP 2
Cond: Normal

"Well, I hope to be passing through, truth to tell." Erica responds to the kindly shop-keep. "I came here following family, but that's another story.

"Right now, I was looking for supplies, and I was wondering..."
She pauses, "Well, I'm trying to find if there are any records of who is buried out at the local cemetery... Family of mine were among the founding fathers of a town out in these parts and I was trying to find which..."

kirinke
Cosmic Scion
Cosmic Scion
Posts: 5201
Joined: Sat Sep 29, 2007 8:14 pm
Location: Behind the mayo, to the left of the cheese, next to the mystery meat leftover from last week

Re: Deadlands IC Ch 1 The first step of the long trail

Post by kirinke » Thu Nov 08, 2012 6:38 pm

sweetja713 wrote:GM Post

Acouple of minutes pass and the young man brings back some paper and what looks to be an irregular black stick. The sheriff thinks for a moment and starts drawing out a shape on the paper. "Now ya understand it was only a quick look before the mayor put it back away and I could really only make out one of the symbol looking things, but I'd say it looked something like this."

Image

"It was a big medallion, probably the size of your hand, but it had several different ones of these on there."
Need an arcane lore check from ya
CASSSANDRA HP 2, Condition Normal

"Aye, sometimes even the smallest o inconsequentials kin mean something big, if'n ye kin peice it together like a picture puzzle." she told the sherrif. "It's a bit like trackin and knowin the difference betwixt a buzzard's clawmark in the dirt and a turkey's clawmark. One ye don't want to chew on and the other ye do." The girl peered at it trying to figgure out how or where she might've seen a rune like that.


ooc
Arcane Lore Check
http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/3774158/ 20

sweetja713
Daredevil
Daredevil
Posts: 779
Joined: Sat Jul 30, 2011 1:51 pm

Re: Deadlands IC Ch 1 The first step of the long trail

Post by sweetja713 » Thu Nov 08, 2012 7:41 pm

Gm Post

Honesty

You manage to make off with a pocket watch, deftly unhooking it. As you're trying to grab everything that isn't tied down, you feel a necklace. In an amazing display of dexterity you unhook it and pocket it in one swift motion. The portly man stumbles landing head first in to a large pie. He comes up sputtering and looking around flinging meringue everywhere..

Erica

Jed thinks for a moment and says, "Well we got a really small newspaper office. It's not much but it'd probably have the records. Mainly just posts church events and snippets of news that comes from elsewhere. Sometimes some local news like what happened today."

Cassandra

After thinking about it for a moment it reminds you of a sign you saw when you had to take down a cult. That symbol means something similar to disciple or servant. Whatever the exact meaning you know it's not good news.
Last edited by sweetja713 on Fri Nov 09, 2012 6:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

kirinke
Cosmic Scion
Cosmic Scion
Posts: 5201
Joined: Sat Sep 29, 2007 8:14 pm
Location: Behind the mayo, to the left of the cheese, next to the mystery meat leftover from last week

Re: Deadlands IC Ch 1 The first step of the long trail

Post by kirinke » Thu Nov 08, 2012 7:51 pm

After thinking about it for a moment it reminds you of a sign you saw when you had to take down a cult. That symbol means something similar to disciple or servant. Whatever the exact meaning you know it's not good news.
CASSANDRA HP 2, Condition normal.

The look on the girl's face was grim as she recognized the general meanin of the symbol. "Dang this... be disturbin suh.... How long has the mayor been mayor o this town? Is it a family thing, or somethin that's happened just recent an does he have folks he reglarly pals around with, hangers on that sorta thang?" she looked down at his leg. "An if'n ye don't mind me askin, how didja bang up yer leg?" she smiled a little sheepishly.

"Ah know this seems a bit strange sorta questioning, butcha gotta remember, this heah town is new to me, so Ah don't know the in's and outs of it at all. And like Ah said before, the kinda critters Ah'm used to huntin ain't the polite sort like bandits and highwaymen. Though Ah will admit, sometimes the critters are just misguided humans, who think that dancin sideways to the moon will bring sommach or another to fruition. They believe it whole-heartedly though and don't give a rat's bare-bottom behind whom they hurt in the process. Those kinda folks are the real dangrus sorts. she sighed. "This symbol reminds me o somethin I saw down in Nawleans way when Ah had to take out a cult of narsty-minded folks. It t'werent real pleasant."

She said describing the experience. "Truth be told, Ah can't be fer certain if the actual hoo-doo Ah saw was due to somethin they mighta slipped me or fed into the air o the buildin, fer alot of cults have members that are right good with herbs and chemicals an can make ye think ye see all sorts of terrible thangs." she scratched the side of her head. "Which is kinda the trouble with cults. They kin convince the weak-minded of just about anything, and kin give a good rekinin with strong minded folks too, through a combination o charm, sleight of hand, terror an alchemy."

sweetja713
Daredevil
Daredevil
Posts: 779
Joined: Sat Jul 30, 2011 1:51 pm

Re: Deadlands IC Ch 1 The first step of the long trail

Post by sweetja713 » Fri Nov 09, 2012 6:21 am

GM Post

Cassandra

"Weelll," the sheriff says drawing out the word, "the mayor's been here ever since the town got big. Too damn wealthy not to get the position. Holds stakes in several of the mines around here. I don't know that he's ever real friendly with anyone, cept maybe Judge Harkins. Those two are thick as thieves whenever the judge comes around. Bout as honest too." The sheriff thinks for a moment, "Cult, huh? Maybe I should call in a friend of mine. He's had some experience with them as well. Would you mine taking this note to the telegraph office when we're done. Hopefully he's still in the area. "


All
It occurs to all you you that Wanekia and Dog never made it back to town with you. Dog had headed off on his own and Wanekia said she was going to stay behind and give the spirit peace. Still both of them should've been back by now.

kirinke
Cosmic Scion
Cosmic Scion
Posts: 5201
Joined: Sat Sep 29, 2007 8:14 pm
Location: Behind the mayo, to the left of the cheese, next to the mystery meat leftover from last week

Re: Deadlands IC Ch 1 The first step of the long trail

Post by kirinke » Fri Nov 09, 2012 9:08 pm

"Weelll," the sheriff says drawing out the word, "the mayor's been here ever since the town got big. Too damn wealthy not to get the position. Holds stakes in several of the mines around here. I don't know that he's ever real friendly with anyone, cept maybe Judge Harkins. Those two are thick as thieves whenever the judge comes around. Bout as honest too." The sheriff thinks for a moment, "Cult, huh? Maybe I should call in a friend of mine. He's had some experience with them as well. Would you mine taking this note to the telegraph office when we're done. Hopefully he's still in the area. "
Cassandra HP 2, condition normal.
"Weelll," the sheriff says drawing out the word, "the mayor's been here ever since the town got big. Too damn wealthy not to get the position. Holds stakes in several of the mines around here. I don't know that he's ever real friendly with anyone, cept maybe Judge Harkins. Those two are thick as thieves whenever the judge comes around. Bout as honest too."
"Aye, tis a problem with tha breed Ah'm afraid. Ye just can't trust politicians or judges." she chuckled. "Ah'd soonah trust a donkey hawker than a politician any day." twas a familar refrain in the law-field, and a familar bane.
The sheriff thinks for a moment, "Cult, huh? Maybe I should call in a friend of mine. He's had some experience with them as well. Would you mine taking this note to the telegraph office when we're done. Hopefully he's still in the area. "
"Aye, no problem thar. Ah need to see if that Injun lass is awright an see if that dog is anywar about or if'n they wandered off." she sighed as she got up. "Ah got the feelin from the lass she didn't know what t'make of us." she said wryly.

sweetja713
Daredevil
Daredevil
Posts: 779
Joined: Sat Jul 30, 2011 1:51 pm

Re: Deadlands IC Ch 1 The first step of the long trail

Post by sweetja713 » Fri Nov 09, 2012 9:37 pm

GM Post

The sheriff laughs, it's the first non bitter laugh you've heard from him. Tell ya the truth I don't right know what to make of ya myself, but something says to trust you. By the by whatever happened to that that one feller. Hellfire or whatever fool name he called himself?
Give me an will check of dc 25 to remember who he's talking about. Yes there's a very good reason that number is so high.

kirinke
Cosmic Scion
Cosmic Scion
Posts: 5201
Joined: Sat Sep 29, 2007 8:14 pm
Location: Behind the mayo, to the left of the cheese, next to the mystery meat leftover from last week

Re: Deadlands IC Ch 1 The first step of the long trail

Post by kirinke » Sat Nov 10, 2012 8:31 am

sweetja713 wrote:GM Post

The sheriff laughs, it's the first non bitter laugh you've heard from him. Tell ya the truth I don't right know what to make of ya myself, but something says to trust you. By the by whatever happened to that that one feller. Hellfire or whatever fool name he called himself?
Give me an will check of dc 25 to remember who he's talking about. Yes there's a very good reason that number is so high.
CASSANDRA HP 2, condition normal
"Brimstone Ah think." she grinned a little. "Most folks don't, they see sommach that should be chasin aftah a brood o yunguns or a teachah or nun, instead of carryin a gun an huntin varmits fer a livin. Sometayms even Ah wonder about meself." she said honestly.

ooc:
Ayup. 18 bother.
http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/3776400/

sweetja713
Daredevil
Daredevil
Posts: 779
Joined: Sat Jul 30, 2011 1:51 pm

Re: Deadlands IC Ch 1 The first step of the long trail

Post by sweetja713 » Sat Nov 10, 2012 9:41 am

GM Post
The name comes to you, but for some reason the memories are hazy. You remember meeting the man and him being with you but you can't pin down any specifics

kirinke
Cosmic Scion
Cosmic Scion
Posts: 5201
Joined: Sat Sep 29, 2007 8:14 pm
Location: Behind the mayo, to the left of the cheese, next to the mystery meat leftover from last week

Re: Deadlands IC Ch 1 The first step of the long trail

Post by kirinke » Sat Nov 10, 2012 10:08 am

CASSANDRA HP 2, condition normalish?

Cassandra shook herself. "Well in any case, folks wander off all tha time. I figgure they won't appreacaite me huntin em down when they done no wrong. Sides, we got thangs to deal with round heah. Namely figgurin out what's goin on in this town and stoppin it befoh it gets real narsty."

ooc
Figgure we'll just let Wanekia, dog and brimstone slide off into the sunset none the wiser aye?

sweetja713
Daredevil
Daredevil
Posts: 779
Joined: Sat Jul 30, 2011 1:51 pm

Re: Deadlands IC Ch 1 The first step of the long trail

Post by sweetja713 » Sat Nov 10, 2012 5:21 pm

Gm Post

Just then a young man comes running up Sheriff some native's been found mauled to death by some wild animal. Up near the ridge.

The sheriff gives an amazing display of profanity. Get the others and go. Last thing we need is the tribes assuming we did it. I'll get someone else to get this telegraphed
now why should anyone go quietly into the sunset when they can be dragged kicking and screaming

kirinke
Cosmic Scion
Cosmic Scion
Posts: 5201
Joined: Sat Sep 29, 2007 8:14 pm
Location: Behind the mayo, to the left of the cheese, next to the mystery meat leftover from last week

Re: Deadlands IC Ch 1 The first step of the long trail

Post by kirinke » Sat Nov 10, 2012 7:32 pm

sweetja713 wrote: Gm Post

Just then a young man comes running up Sheriff some native's been found mauled to death by some wild animal. Up near the ridge.

The sheriff gives an amazing display of profanity. Get the others and go. Last thing we need is the tribes assuming we did it. I'll get someone else to get this telegraphed
now why should anyone go quietly into the sunset when they can be dragged kicking and screaming
CASSANDRA HP 2, condition normal

"Dang burn blast it. Lemme get Honesty an Erika." she said and searched out the boy and shooed him out of the bakery, "Thar be an incident up near the ridge an tha sherrif needs us to look into it. No Lollygaggin or games ye varmit." she said and added. "Help me find Erika y'kin. Like as not this heah be a trap o some sort an we need all tha help we kin get."

Locked