Mutants & Masterminds
HQ    ABOUT M&M    SUPER-VISION    GIMMICK'S GADGETS    M&M SUPERLINK    ATOMIC THINK TANK    M&M SHOP
Saving the world, one d20 roll at a time

[3e] Totally Human - Alien Students (Cancelled)

This forum is the place for Mutants & Masterminds Play-By-Post games. Please read the M&M Game Room rules before starting or joining a game. Enjoy!

Moderators: The Mod Squad, The Justice League

Re: [3e] Totally Human - Alien Students (Recruiting until 10/9)

Postby Walking Dad » Fri Oct 05, 2012 4:42 am

Hound, may I ask you where the pictures are from?
English isn't my native language. Have patience, please.

WD's PbP characters (3e)
Martian Manhunter builds
Walking Dad
Luminary
Luminary

Postby Hound » Fri Oct 05, 2012 7:16 am

Generator Rex
"Whats wrong? You came here expecting to fight a madman, and instead found a god!?"
My Characters
Hound
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Sriseru » Fri Oct 05, 2012 9:56 am

Hmm... It appears that the two first builds are almost polar opposites.

@Spectrum
While there won't be much combat in this game, it might come up at some point down the line. As such, I really advice you to put at least something in your Defenses.
Also, wouldn't Insubstantial (liquid) be more suitable to a cephalopod, rather than Insubstantial (gaseous)? Oh, and I'm pretty sure Permanent Insubstantial cannot be Precise.

@Hound
I really, really hate it when I have to say no, but as the GM it's my responsibility to do so from time to time.
First of all, one of the core concepts in this game is that your appearances are so alien that you cannot in any way pass for human (in our eyes, anyway. The humans in the game are pretty easy to fool). Aside from her arms and legs, Ky'ree could easily pass for human with a mask, makeup, or just some dim lighting. I'd ask that you revise her appearance into something more alien.
Secondly, Ky'ree is seemingly a beast in combat. As I mentioned to Spectrum, combat will be a very rare occurrence, so you don't need to devote that many points to combat-oriented abilities.

@Everyone
Look guys, the idea isn't for you to use your points to build superheroes or crime fighters, it's to build aliens. So spend your points on things to help define how alien your characters really are, such as alien senses, extra appendages, or weird abilities.
Sriseru
Zealot
Zealot

Postby Hound » Fri Oct 05, 2012 2:31 pm

I can respect your desire to obtain a certain idea, so with no hard feelings, I will bow out.
"Whats wrong? You came here expecting to fight a madman, and instead found a god!?"
My Characters
Hound
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Spectrum » Fri Oct 05, 2012 2:44 pm

I'll have to carefully look at the numbers. The 'problem' with low PL games is that in order to be up to PL on defenses, it accounts for about 60% of any PL. In low PL games, that makes any kind of distinction more difficult.. much more difficult in a power heavy game like this.
Spectrum
Titan
Titan

Postby Sriseru » Sat Oct 06, 2012 2:48 am

@Hound
Sorry to hear you go, but thanks for the initial interest.

@Spectrum
Hmm... you've got a point.

@Everyone
Alright, how about we cut the occasional combat with alien criminals from the game? Would everyone be okay with this?
Though, combat stats could still be useful in some situations, but you don't need to max them out.
Sriseru
Zealot
Zealot

Postby Spectrum » Sat Oct 06, 2012 6:40 am

We can probably keep some of the mystery action in, but it would need to be more cerebral. I don't see most of the classic sleuths as having much combat potential: Sherlock Holmes, Hercule Poirot, Miss Marple, Scooby Doo and gang and Monk don't really scream being able to handle themselves in a fight.
Spectrum
Titan
Titan

Postby Spectrum » Sat Oct 06, 2012 6:54 am

I made some adjustments. At this point, not sure how to make more combat worthy without loosing alien concept.
Spectrum
Titan
Titan

Postby Sriseru » Sat Oct 06, 2012 9:37 am

Hey, don't dis Sherlock, he was a beast with that cane of his. :)
Anyway, your build looks good with one exception. Permanent Insubstantial cannot be precise, as I mentioned before.

I guess we can still keep the "investigation" aspect of alien criminals, but I'd like to see what everyone else thinks of this first.
Sriseru
Zealot
Zealot

Postby Spectrum » Sat Oct 06, 2012 9:57 am

Ah, okay. I was thinking of making it precise going in the opposite direction- being able to choose when to make body parts selectively substantial. Given that she's liquid rather than gaseous, probably a moot point.

I'm kinda surprised that you don't have any problems with her being a flyer.
Spectrum
Titan
Titan

Postby Sriseru » Sat Oct 06, 2012 10:30 am

She's an alien. :)
Also, that one power reminded me of a very common speculative lifeform; a bloated creature full of lighter-than-air gas and with tentacles. Basically a floating octopus.
Sriseru
Zealot
Zealot

Postby sweetja713 » Sat Oct 06, 2012 10:29 pm

I could go either way with combat but if it's there I want it cheesy and over the top. Seems only right with such a game. I find points are always an issue in a low powered game with a mixed focus so maybe some extra pp without raising the power level.
sweetja713
Daredevil
Daredevil

Postby Walking Dad » Sun Oct 07, 2012 12:11 am

Sorry, but I will bow out of this. Two of the hardest things to do in PBP is to convey intended humor that all think is funny and to keep a detective story interesting to all participants (from the players side). I fear I'm not up to the challenge and would like to open this for someone more confident in doing it.

I wish you the best and to intend to silently follow the IC. Have fun!
English isn't my native language. Have patience, please.

WD's PbP characters (3e)
Martian Manhunter builds
Walking Dad
Luminary
Luminary

Postby Sriseru » Mon Oct 08, 2012 12:10 am

@Walking Dad
Sorry to see you go.

@sweetja713
Cheesy and over the top was my intention all along. :)
Also, you've got a good idea there.

@Everyone
Alright, how about this, you get 120 points to work with (20 per PL), but you have to max out your combat stats.
Oh, and seeing how we've lost two potential players, I want to see how many of you are still game.
Sriseru
Zealot
Zealot

Postby Hound » Mon Oct 08, 2012 12:43 am

personally i liked it being a low pl, low point game. I was able to build my character really easily.

That said, she saddly looked too human.

*shrugs*
My Characters
Hound
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

PreviousNext

Return to M&M Game Room