Mutants & Masterminds
HQ    ABOUT M&M    SUPER-VISION    GIMMICK'S GADGETS    M&M SUPERLINK    ATOMIC THINK TANK    M&M SHOP
Saving the world, one d20 roll at a time

[3e] Totally Human - Alien Students (Cancelled)

This forum is the place for Mutants & Masterminds Play-By-Post games. Please read the M&M Game Room rules before starting or joining a game. Enjoy!

[3e] Totally Human - Alien Students (Cancelled)

Postby Sriseru » Sun Sep 30, 2012 10:08 am

I'm looking to run a comedy sci-fi game set in my Totally Human setting (check it out for more information).

You play as extraterrestrial or ultraterrestrial (octopuses, sharks, theropod dinosaurs, or cetaceans) teenagers who are part of a field student program in anthropology (the study of humans) or xenology (the study of aliens), and as such have been sent to a boarding high school on Earth to learn about humanity while pretending to be one of them.

Here's the thing, though, you are decidedly inhuman in appearance (for instance, the theropods sort of look like the velociraptors from Jurassic Park) and only wear paper-thin disguises (such as a wig) to fool humans that you're one of them.

The goals of the field student program are:
1. Blend in among the humans and keep the truth of your nature secret at all costs.
2. Learn about the humans by pursuing a native education, socializing, experience their culture, and optionally get a part-time job.
3. Notify the Earth Wardens of any unauthorized alien activities and, if possible, protect humans from alien hostilities while covering up alien presence.

The first year of this program is spent learning how to survive on a primitive alien planet while also keeping your secret. The remaining three years of the program (sophomore to senior) are spent in their entirety on Earth.

The power level is 6 (120 points) and the game will be heavy on roleplay while light on combat. While there will be the occasional alien threat to deal with, most of the time will be spent trying to pass for human and encountering various situations.

So, anyone interested?
Last edited by Sriseru on Wed Oct 17, 2012 11:41 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Sriseru
Zealot
Zealot

Re: [3e] Totally Human - Alien Students (Interest Check)

Postby Spectrum » Sun Sep 30, 2012 10:18 am

Oooh! A 'backwards' Galaxy High! Pretty nifty.

Two questions immediately come to mind:
1. How seriously will the 'masquerade' be taken? Obviously, tons of alien appearances can't easily pass for human without a lot of hand waving. In a serious game, that would be a massive issues. In a more comical (yay!) that could be easily handwaved.

2. Is trying to survive in a hostile environment also going to get handwaved? While it might be amusing to spend the entire game in a environmental chamber on wheels- its also kinda limiting.
Spectrum
Titan
Titan

Postby Sriseru » Sun Sep 30, 2012 11:26 am

To answer your questions:

1. About as serious as Invader Zim and Octodad. Meaning not very serious at all.
The disguises themselves provide a +10 to Disguise, while saying stuff like "Hello, fellow human! Let me open this manual door for you, with my hand that is not a tentacle." will grant you a temporary +10 bonus to Disguise.
Let's just say that in this world, humans are really, really gullible.

2. Not sure that I understand your question, but the preparatory year is handwaved and the game will start with the PCs' arrival to Earth.
Sriseru
Zealot
Zealot

Postby Mr.Sandman » Sun Sep 30, 2012 11:31 am

Love it. Count me interested.
Mr.Sandman
Superhero
Superhero

Postby Spectrum » Sun Sep 30, 2012 11:33 am

I think that you answered both questions together. The second question was.. if say we played an aquatic race whether we would need to worry about drowning, or needing odd rare items in the Earth environment that would be very common (even unnoticed) in our natural environment.

Playing with concepts for Everything's Squishier With Cephalopods or Europeans Are Kinky
Spectrum
Titan
Titan

Postby Sriseru » Sun Sep 30, 2012 1:10 pm

Well, spending three years in a hostile environment is generally not a very good idea. However, many aquatic races have genetically altered themselves to allow them to survive on dry land. For example, the civilized octopuses, sharks, and cetaceans all have this alteration, and just sort of move around on their tail fins (sort of like this) or other appendages.

As for other substances... How about a device, mask, or suit that can take something from the environment (like sunlight, oxygen, carbon dioxide, or dihydrogen monoxide) in order to produce the required substance?
Sriseru
Zealot
Zealot

Postby Walking Dad » Mon Oct 01, 2012 9:37 am

Very interested, this sounds like fun!
English isn't my native language. Have patience, please.

WD's PbP characters (3e)
Martian Manhunter builds
Walking Dad
Luminary
Luminary

Postby Sriseru » Tue Oct 02, 2012 2:58 am

Hmm... So far only 3 people interested...
I'm sort of wary of attempting to run a game with so little interest.
Sriseru
Zealot
Zealot

Postby Spectrum » Tue Oct 02, 2012 3:03 am

On the plus side, three very loyal players. If you tell a good story, then we'll keep coming back. Thats really not too bad for a niche story like this.

One of my favorite sporadic stories looks like it has two coGMs and recently added a third player.
Spectrum
Titan
Titan

Postby sweetja713 » Tue Oct 02, 2012 9:05 am

Reminds me of teenagers from outer space. Definitely down for this game.
sweetja713
Daredevil
Daredevil

Postby Nineofspades » Tue Oct 02, 2012 9:41 am

This is actually really similar to an idea I had good while back for a game, though this version is far more light hearted. Either way though, it does look like fun. So ya, count me interested.

Think I might do a Bee/Wasp-like alien girl.
Nineofspades
Luminary
Luminary

Postby Mr.Sandman » Tue Oct 02, 2012 10:19 am

I am thinking a helium based lifeform. A balloon with a face drawn on for a head 'wearing' a trenchcoat and glasses.
Mr.Sandman
Superhero
Superhero

Postby Sriseru » Tue Oct 02, 2012 11:12 am

Well, this is more like it. I'll start recruitment and start off by giving you until 9/10 to finish your characters. Does this sound alright?

Also, make sure to check out the setting's page, as it will explain the few house rules that will be implemented.

@sweetja713
After I came up with the idea for this game, I was reminded of Teenagers From Outer Space as well. I'm actually flipping through that book to look for anything I might use as inspiration.

@Nineofspades & Mr.Sandman
Both of your ideas sound great! :D
Last edited by Sriseru on Tue Oct 02, 2012 12:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sriseru
Zealot
Zealot

Re: [3e] Totally Human - Alien Students (Recruiting until 9/10)

Postby Mr.Sandman » Tue Oct 02, 2012 11:40 am

9/10 has already passed, do you mean 10/10?
Mr.Sandman
Superhero
Superhero

Re: [3e] Totally Human - Alien Students (Recruiting until 9/10)

Postby SilvercatMoonpaw » Tue Oct 02, 2012 12:15 pm

He could mean it "Day/Month" style as used by some places such as Europe.
SilvercatMoonpaw
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Next

Return to M&M Game Room