Mutants & Masterminds
HQ    ABOUT M&M    SUPER-VISION    GIMMICK'S GADGETS    M&M SUPERLINK    ATOMIC THINK TANK    M&M SHOP
Saving the world, one d20 roll at a time

The League of Extraordinary Persons (OOC)

This forum is the place for Mutants & Masterminds Play-By-Post games. Please read the M&M Game Room rules before starting or joining a game. Enjoy!

Moderators: The Mod Squad, The Justice League

Re: The League of Extraordinary Persons (OOC)

Postby Lord Fell » Thu Nov 01, 2012 11:50 pm

As far as I know, all the characters are pretty much stable, so I wanted to go over them "one last time" and get the last nicks polished out.

@Bluecross/Connor MacLeod
You can't actually by straight Toughness. Normally you'd buy Defensive Roll... which you have 2 ranks of already. Oooops. Your Character is actually over-caps Defensively, because his total Toughness is 6. So, remove that purchased Toughness, reduce Defensive Roll to 1. Leaves you with 2pp.
Suggestions: Takedown 2. More Skills. You could also justify a rank of Speed -as Connor has been observed to run quickly.
While you are editing your sheet.... Your Insight skill appears to be +65, so you'll wanna fix that.
Background wise... If Brenda was early 30s in the early 80s, she'd be about 50 now. No reason she couldn't still be in Connor's life. To my way of thinking, if Connor was going to move past Heather and marry again, it would be True Love, and they'd still be together.
Alternatively, since The Gathering has not happened yet Brenda might be someone still in Connor's future.

@Bladewind/Lara Croft
Ok, so, this Covering Fire power of yours... :P
Actually... you did list it in your Offense as +6 Accuracy, but it's a cone area, not a targeted thing.
Mmm'k. I notice that you have Assessment with jack for Insight. I think you could also drop her Benefit: Wealth to a single rank. I also observe that you have a point tied up in Expertise: Writing... I don't think Lara was a writer per se, if she had to write a paper on Archaeology, that would fall under the Archaeology skill, not writing. If you have a few points freed up, put them into skills; as a skill monkey she could use more ranks.

@Mark Reuter/Mr. Hero
Looks like you haven't had time to make the changes we discussed in the suit; re: removing the Device Feats that you don't need. I also noticed that you have your Advantages listed as 9pp, but I only count 8.

@Captain Chaos/Buckeroo Banzai
Can you note your Quickness rank of 1?
...and that's about it.

@Dreamking/Jareth
As per my last post to you, I'd like you to edit out the last change to Jareth's stats that added in the Quick Change ability. Your main character, not the Owl form. In your Crystal Spheres, I notice that the note on the "What spell to use?" power no longer indicates that it is a Blast. Please add that back in.

As for your Owl Form, you've listed the Comprehend power twice. You still need that Activation Quirk on it though, to bring your cost down to 1pp. Also, your Natural Language would still be Goblin.

Side note... from working with you, I'd have to say that your character creation is probably being stunted by a reliance on Hero Labs. I'm guessing that every build you've made so far is locked into Hero Labs, and if Hero Labs doesn't like what you put in, you're lost. You need to start learning how to develop builds and manipulate numbers without relying on a computer program to do your math for you... or you'll never get proficient at builds.

@Sweetja/Silent Bob
Could I get you to drop a couple of points in your Technology skill? I'm thinking like... even 2 would do it. Just so that it's clear that Buckeroo is clearly "the inventor" of the team; that's his niche. I envision Silent Bob's inventions to be just a bit haphazard, which hardly justifies the Doctoral level of Tech he's got now. Maybe switch it into Stealth... he is Silent, after all.

@Ryan Danks/Chun Li
Good news! You're under-spent on skills. You can add 2 ranks of non-combat skills without changing your costs.
Lord Fell
Overlord
Overlord

Postby Ryan M. Danks » Fri Nov 02, 2012 1:20 am

Lord Fell wrote:@Ryan Danks/Chun Li
Good news! You're under-spent on skills. You can add 2 ranks of non-combat skills without changing your costs.

Sweet! I'll add 2 points to something.
Ryan M. Danks
Firebrand
Firebrand

Postby Bladewind » Fri Nov 02, 2012 4:53 am

Lord Fell wrote:As far as I know, all the characters are pretty much stable, so I wanted to go over them "one last time" and get the last nicks polished out.

@Bladewind/Lara Croft
Ok, so, this Covering Fire power of yours... :P
Actually... you did list it in your Offense as +6 Accuracy, but it's a cone area, not a targeted thing.
Mmm'k. I notice that you have Assessment with jack for Insight. I think you could also drop her Benefit: Wealth to a single rank. I also observe that you have a point tied up in Expertise: Writing... I don't think Lara was a writer per se, if she had to write a paper on Archaeology, that would fall under the Archaeology skill, not writing. If you have a few points freed up, put them into skills; as a skill monkey she could use more ranks.

What?! More changes?! lol.

The accuracy thing was a holdover that I forgot to edit out of the sheet.

The backgrounds that I've read and my recollection of the character suggest she sells tales of her adventures on the side. Any suggestions for skills?
Bladewind
Overlord
Overlord

Postby Lord Fell » Fri Nov 02, 2012 9:21 am

I kind of think Lara's a little low in a lot of her skills... I'd definitely give her a bit more in Archaeology.
Lord Fell
Overlord
Overlord

Postby Mark Reuter » Fri Nov 02, 2012 11:08 am

OK I made the changes to Ralph. I had forgotten to adjust the cost of my advantages under the advantages themselves but the math at the bottom was correct. I added the variable power to the suit (5 pp) for those quirky powers that sometimes spring up, uncontrolled, of course. I think all of the math and all of the modifications are now correct. I have a performance tonight, two tomorrow, and two Sunday before my "weekend" (Monday and Tuesday the theatre is dark). So I apologize if I am a slow poster until then.
Mark Reuter
Overlord
Overlord

Postby Bluecross » Fri Nov 02, 2012 9:51 pm

Lord Fell wrote:As far as I know, all the characters are pretty much stable, so I wanted to go over them "one last time" and get the last nicks polished out.

@Bluecross/Connor MacLeod
You can't actually by straight Toughness. Normally you'd buy Defensive Roll... which you have 2 ranks of already. Oooops. Your Character is actually over-caps Defensively, because his total Toughness is 6. So, remove that purchased Toughness, reduce Defensive Roll to 1. Leaves you with 2pp.
Suggestions: Takedown 2. More Skills. You could also justify a rank of Speed -as Connor has been observed to run quickly.
While you are editing your sheet.... Your Insight skill appears to be +65, so you'll wanna fix that.
Background wise... If Brenda was early 30s in the early 80s, she'd be about 50 now. No reason she couldn't still be in Connor's life. To my way of thinking, if Connor was going to move past Heather and marry again, it would be True Love, and they'd still be together.
Alternatively, since The Gathering has not happened yet Brenda might be someone still in Connor's future.

I think the +65 in Insight might have been a typo... possibly... :)

Other changes made as you've suggested.
"I know gun fu"

Crusher - Batch 9

Curt Mardis :- Tracer - Albright Institute

Connor MacLeod - LoEP

Minos - Wild Cards

GM for Toledo Knights
Bluecross
Mastermind
Mastermind

Postby Bladewind » Sat Nov 03, 2012 6:41 am

Lord Fell wrote:I kind of think Lara's a little low in a lot of her skills... I'd definitely give her a bit more in Archaeology.

The sheet is updated for the 29th.

(That wasn't sarcasm - I checked the edit count. :shock: )

I was also looking at her Deadly Aim - and I think it's priced the way it should be.
The way it's written implies I overcharged her for points. I also think that we hashed this out though... Just for clarity...

Deadly Aim (12 pts total)
Damage (1 pt/ rk), Ranged, Perceptions (2 pts/ rk), Precise, Split (Flat 2 pts) = 17
Easily Removable -6
Requires Firearms This would imply another flaw.

To me this is double dipping on an existing flaw. At best it's a quirk worth a -1. However, I just want it clear which way you want to go. Going with the fact that I purchased equipment, it might be worth considering.
I am fine with the way it's currently charged and am not looking for extra points..

In light of the most recent video games, an argument could be - but won't be - made to change the "requires firearms" to "requires ranged weapon" as she is also pretty good with a bow. I intend to represent that, if ever it comes up, with a little creative (or not-so-creative) use of Beginner's Luck.

Speaking of Beginner's Luck... question. Since non-combat skills are 3:1 does that advantage give the normal 5 ranks regardless to both combat and non-combat skills? I don't see why it should, but I figure an out of context question is better than a question when the advantage comes into play...
Bladewind
Overlord
Overlord

Postby Lord Fell » Sat Nov 03, 2012 10:46 am

re: Beginners Luck
I think that the Feat should definitely give 5 ranks for combat abilities. The question is, should it give more ranks for a non-combat ability? I'm tempted to say no. A +5 to a skill is still an expert level of skill. Increasing non-combat skills above that seems unnecessary... and I'd also stipulate that combat skills would still be limited by PL. I don't think people normally use Beginner's Luck for combat skills, as they already have their character's combat styles mapped out.

re: Deadly Aim & Covering Fire
I just can't see you using Covering Fire with a bow, ever. It just isn't feasible. It's a bit of a stretch to do it with a normal semi-automatic pistol, but super-normal heroics is all about stretching normal abilities. As for Deadly Aim, since Lara has no specific facility with bows at all, I don't see this applying either.

I'm also comfortable with the way it is written up. Easily Removable is usually a Flaw associated with a Device; here, there is not a specific device, rather "requires firearms" denotes that it's an ability usable with any handgun.

@Bluecross
I'm content with your changes... does Connor still own the antique store?

@Dreamking
Waiting on your action to move the events at the compound forward.
Lord Fell
Overlord
Overlord

Postby Bladewind » Sat Nov 03, 2012 11:01 am

Point of order old chap... that particular rant about beginner's luck, the bow et al were simply musings. I have no intention of putting them in the build or requesting them.

So, regarding the build... we're good as is?

Good point about the bow. I'd be hard pressed to see a Bow being used for covering fire. Nailing anyone who sticks their head out is another matter entirely... hence Beginner's Luck. :lol:
Bladewind
Overlord
Overlord

Postby Lord Fell » Sat Nov 03, 2012 12:01 pm

Bladewind wrote:Good point about the bow. I'd be hard pressed to see a Bow being used for covering fire. Nailing anyone who sticks their head out is another matter entirely... hence Beginner's Luck. :lol:

I don't think this should matter, but I should probably lay it out anyways. The Deadly Aim power specifies firearms, and is a Power describing a beyond normal facility in using them. Using Beginner's Luck to give you temporary facility with a bow is just not going to account for this level of skill. Using a HP to power stunt Deadly Aim with a Bow doesn't really fit, for me, because we still go back to Lara not having any specific talent with a bow.

So... I think it's a moot point, but I also wouldn't allow it.

I didn't recheck your character, but I assume that you just shifted some things around to account for my suggestions, so I'm not worried about that.
Lord Fell
Overlord
Overlord

Postby Bladewind » Sat Nov 03, 2012 12:03 pm

Um, Fell?

I'm suggesting using a HP to get 5 ranks of Ranged Combat. Not Deadly Aim with a bow. 8)
Bladewind
Overlord
Overlord

Postby Lord Fell » Sat Nov 03, 2012 12:07 pm

Yes, you can do that. I just wanted to make sure that you understood that you still couldn't use it with Deadly Aim.

...and I'm counting exactly 23pp of Skills, you've got another 1pp to spend somewhere.
Lord Fell
Overlord
Overlord

Postby Bladewind » Sat Nov 03, 2012 1:05 pm

Oops. Forgot to add the point that I had spent. It was for Deception.
Bladewind
Overlord
Overlord

Postby dreamking89 » Sat Nov 03, 2012 1:37 pm

Crap! I'm sorry, I thought I had longer to go before my action.

I've posted in the IC thread though.
It has always been the prerogative of children and half-wits to point out that the emperor has no clothes. But the half-wit remains a half-wit and the emperor remains an emperor.
dreamking89
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby Lord Fell » Sat Nov 03, 2012 4:19 pm

Great. I'm going to continue bugging you to fix your sheet until you actually do it though.
Lord Fell
Overlord
Overlord

PreviousNext

Return to M&M Game Room