Mutants & Masterminds
HQ    ABOUT M&M    SUPER-VISION    GIMMICK'S GADGETS    M&M SUPERLINK    ATOMIC THINK TANK    M&M SHOP
Saving the world, one d20 roll at a time

The League of Extraordinary Persons (OOC)

This forum is the place for Mutants & Masterminds Play-By-Post games. Please read the M&M Game Room rules before starting or joining a game. Enjoy!

Re: The League of Extraordinary Persons (Recruiting thru 9/10)

Postby roguescribner » Sat Oct 13, 2012 2:37 pm

@ sweetja713

Silent Bob! Overall, a solid build. It could probably use some tweaking here and there. I'm not sure if inventor would really play out much for Silent Bob in game, but I could be wrong. I guess a grappling hook could fall under your variable ep. I just love that moment from the movie, ha ha. A potential complication: the weed? I don't want to turn this game into an afterschool special, but it seems like some light weed use could create some interesting situations in game, were this submission to be picked. And yes, I realize I gave Gazman some guff about the heroin addiction, but those two drugs are in different leagues, IMO.

@ sirzanek

Very good MacGyver build. I'm a little iffy on Create. There's a scene edit function of hero points that I wonder wouldn't be more appropriate? Luck 4 would gain you 4 uses of that per "session" and be a lot less mechanically awkward.

@ Ryan M. Danks

Very strong build. Unfortunately, I'm not really up the source material. However, Lord Fell seems to be, so he can fill me in. :P You list Ranged Combat: Pistols 2 (+5), but I don't see the pistols listed under powers or equipment. Was that an edit you didn't fully remove?

Ok, those are my initial reactions to characters (better late than never). Recruitment has closed, but everyone is still free to tweak their submissions as needed while Lord Fell and I review the roster. It's likely half of you won't be chosen, so there will be a lot of hard choices to make soon.

Good luck!
GM - Age of Heroes Chapter 2
Sarvak - The Injustice Gang
roguescribner
Paragon
Paragon

Re: The League of Extraordinary Persons (Recruiting Closed)

Postby Lord Fell » Sat Oct 13, 2012 3:31 pm

@Roguescribner & Ryan Danks
Chun Li is supposed to be a superior marksman, so she should absolutely have ranks in Ranged Combat: Guns. Having said that, she has a focus on Martial Arts, so she has no particular need to carry one.

...actually, what I'd suggest Ryan, is drop your Dex to 0, because it's a useless stat, and put 2pp into Ranged Combat Feat... or, actually 3pp. Your ranged combat is currently +4 not +5. Then you've got 1pp to... uh. Do stuff with.

Similarly, you could drop your Fighting to 4 and save 8pp. 4pp goes into Parry, 2pp goes into Close Combat: Unarmed, and you have another 2pp to spend (3pp total)

...also, I had been kind of meaning that the Quirk: Linked to Movement replace Distracting.
Lord Fell
Overlord
Overlord

Postby Ryan M. Danks » Sat Oct 13, 2012 9:15 pm

I made the suggested changes, although I kept the Fighting up for throws (Trip maneuver).

The Distracting flaw is a -1 point per rank, Quirk is only -1 flat. Since Distracting is giving me a savings of 2 points, a single Quirk wouldn't fill the gap.
Ryan M. Danks
Firebrand
Firebrand

Postby Lord Fell » Sat Oct 13, 2012 10:06 pm

I had kind of intended it to be a full-blown Flaw... M&M3e is stupid about terminology between what constitutes a Flaw and a Quirk. I don't actually mind how you statted that up. As long as you aren't expecting to get more than a single round of continuous flight out of the maneuver... but there's nothing stopping you from declaring your Line Area is straight up, and bird-kicking to the top of a short building.
Lord Fell
Overlord
Overlord

Postby Ryan M. Danks » Sat Oct 13, 2012 10:53 pm

I changed the text to make it clearer that she is just above the ground and not flying through the air.
Ryan M. Danks
Firebrand
Firebrand

Postby Lord Fell » Sat Oct 13, 2012 11:23 pm

Hmm... actually that's not necessary (for me, anyways). I see this as being very much like Wuxia style martial arts (unreal feats, usually done on wires). A Flight of 1 that can only be used in 1 round, normal moves is only marginally more useful than Leaping 1.

Chun Li in action (Street Fighter, YouTube)
Lord Fell
Overlord
Overlord

Postby kirinke » Sun Oct 14, 2012 5:52 am

I'd actually go with just leaping 2. That'd fit the style of a Wuxia style martial artist better than Flight 1.
kirinke
Cosmic Scion
Cosmic Scion

Location: Behind the mayo, to the left of the cheese, next to the mystery meat leftover from last week

Re: The League of Extraordinary Persons (Interest)

Postby roguescribner » Sun Oct 14, 2012 9:44 am

MATH CHECK
(and other oddities)

@ flynnarrel

Non-combat skills are 3 ranks per power point. Close/Ranged Combat are still 2 ranks per power point. So your total skill cost is actually [(25/3=8.33) + (5/2=2.5) = 10.83 ~) 11 pp. I know you had to do some point shaving since summon rank determines PL, but shouldn't RC Planes and Trucks have the controlled extra? It's not like they're a summoned creature who can make decisions for themselves (even on a limited basis). Other bad news: there's no cost savings making shrinking permanent. Permanent only applies to continuous effects so after buying that up and then applying permanent it's a +0 modifier.

The good news is, you list immunity - fortitude as costing 40 pp when it should only be 30 pp (unless I missed something somewhere?). So you have (10 - 1 for the skills = ) 9 extra pp to play with on your main build and 3 pp for your RC Planes. RC Truck has some cost problems, however. Between the +0 savings on Shrinking and the miscalculation with the skills (see above), you're actually over by 8 pp. Suggestion: use the RC Truck as the Gadgets array default effect and raise its rank by 1. That will give you some extra pp to play with and be able to flesh it out within PL. That will only cost you 3 more pp on the main build, so you still have a few more points to play with.

I agree with Lord Fell that having so many grenades on the planes seems a bit much. If you want to designate 2 types for each plane that would work so you still have them as options. So it's mainly math you have to worry about. Increase the summon rank for the truck and add controlled to both and it should be a matter of just making little tweaks here and there and you should be good to go! Let me know if I need to clarify anything.

And since that took longer than I thought, more will come later! :)
GM - Age of Heroes Chapter 2
Sarvak - The Injustice Gang
roguescribner
Paragon
Paragon

Postby flynnarrel » Sun Oct 14, 2012 10:45 am

Hey Guys. I'm withdrawing Johnny 5. I do this because I see other characters submitted that I'd rather see chosen over my own character in his niche (smart inventor person). There are some really cool submissions for that and I didn't think Johnny stacked up. I note that we don't really have a spy type. Maybe the game wouldn't need one but I thought it'd be a cool choice for the GMs. Hope the last-minute change isn't jarring.

Remember that movie where they shrunk Dennis Quaid and injected him into Martin Short? Sure it had Martin Short in it, but it was a cool concept otherwise, and a decent movie.

It could have been a 'safe' date movie if you hapened to be dating in 1987 - light-hearted comedy with enough action bits that your date could jump and nestle into your arm but not so many that you could be accused of trying to elicit that very reaction.

I speak of Innerspace. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Innerspace

Down-on-his-luck naval aviator Lt. Tuck Pendleton volunteers for a secret miniaturization experiment. He is placed in a submersible pod, and both are shrunk to microscopic size. They are transferred into a syringe to be injected into a rabbit, but the lab is attacked. The experiment supervisor escapes with the syringe and, after being fatally shot in a nearby shopping mall, he injects Tuck and the pod into Jack Putter, a hypochondriac grocery store clerk. Hilarity ensues.

At the end of the Movie, Putter proclaims he's 'cured' of being a hypochordriac AND a wimp and leaps into a dangerous situation to save a restored Lt. Pendelton.

Well, in this version, the FBI realize that Putter and Pendelton make a great team and recruit them to address matters of national security. After extensive training though, Putter has a 'relapse' of hypochondria and wimp-ism. They are not the FBI's topmost asset and the team are constantly finding waysd to improve their standing with their superiors.

Maybe they are the ones that find out about and reinstate the League project (like Scully did in the picture).

Jack Putter, FBI

PL6 90

str 0
sta 2
agi 2
dex 0
fgt 1
awe 3
int 2
pre 0
[20pp]

Skills [14pp]: Treatment 4 (+6), Perception 8(+11), Deception 11, insight 6(+9), stealth 7(+9), Investigate 8 (+10),
Combat Skills [5pp] : Close Unarmed 4(+5), Ranged Pistol 6

Advantages[10pp]: Set-up, improved Defense, Benefit (FBI Agent), Defensive Roll 3, Equipment 3, improved init

Equipment: Heavy Pistol w/sights (blast 4, accurate)
First-Aid Kit
Cell Phone
Flashlight
laptop
mini tracker
1 unspent

Defenses:
Toughness 5
Dodge 7 [4pp]
Parry 7 [6pp]
Will 6 [3pp]
Fort 6 [4pp]

Offenses:
Heavy Pistol +8, DC19
Adrenalized punch +5, DC22

Powers:
Putters powers mostly come from Tuck floating around in his blood stream manipulating muscles and organs and nerves directly with his very sophisticated pod.

Enhanced Advantage: Eidetic Memory, Well Informed, Die Hard, [3pp]
The Pod's onboard computers are extensive and can record anything comming through the optical and audio connections.

Senses: Extended Hearing 2,Radio Senses, Low-light Vision. [4pp]

Regeneration 1 [1pp]
Th Pod and Pendleton are constantly stimulation the Body's healing processes and repairing things from the inside. It's still a slow process

Enhanced Strength 7 [14pp +2AE]
{Pendleton stimulates the adrenal glands, This does give Putter the Aggressive Complication temporarily.}
AE: Morph Rank 3 (Humaniods same size) pr 3, Quirk - not hair
{This manipulates the facial and vocal muscles to match anyone on file}
AE: Healing, Restorative, Move action, Self-only, Temporary, pr 6
{Tuck stimulates the release of Endorphins so Putters wounds don't seem to afect him.}
AE: Linked to Unarmed Damage, Electrical Discharge, Affliction, Cumulative, (Resist by Fort, Daze, Stunned, Incapacitated) pr 7
{The Pod floats close to the surface of Jack's hand and can Discharge back-up batteries into an opponent.}

[attrib 20+ Skills19+Adv10+def17+powers24 = 90

Complications:

Hypochondriac - he's wary of germs and the like, convinced he will contract some imminently fatal disease very soon.

Talks to self - Jack can only communicate with Tuck through talking, it can make him seem like e's talking to himself.

Not a brave man - Jack is still hesitant about going into danger, it can sometimes take some convincing by Tuck

I was planning to play the Gestalt of Jack of Tuck, writing conversations in his head, times when Tuck says things to Jack that no one else can hear, etc.
flynnarrel
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Lord Fell » Sun Oct 14, 2012 11:20 am

@Flynnarrel
Truth be told Johnny 5 was giving me dilemmas. I have that nostalgia, and can perfectly recall that charming metallic voice proclaiming "Number Five... is Alive!" But your build was giving me antipathy.

Honestly, I have a new dilemma. I would certainly accept a switch to your Tuck-Putter Gestalt... however we're already elbow deep in deliberations. For me, I'm kind of feeling that your agent would be up against skill-monkey types while at the same time stepping into the more fantastical "super hero" turf and I don't know that he is going to fare well in either niche.
Lord Fell
Overlord
Overlord

Postby flynnarrel » Sun Oct 14, 2012 4:39 pm

With submissions like Jack Burton versus a suited Greatest American Hero you get to decide what kind of story you'd like to tell... Go you guys.

I tried to put forth a fun character.

If you would rather I not put forth Jack Putter at this late stage I'll understand.
flynnarrel
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Bladewind » Sun Oct 14, 2012 4:47 pm

Me, I'm hoping for a scenario where Lara Croft gets a chance to ask Chun Li for fighting lessons... :shock:
Bladewind
Overlord
Overlord

Postby sweetja713 » Sun Oct 14, 2012 5:27 pm

Took off inventor, adjusted skills and added a bongsaber and complication.

Silent Bob
sweetja713
Daredevil
Daredevil

Postby Mark Reuter » Sun Oct 14, 2012 5:55 pm

Ok to answer some questions, I see Postcognition being different from Remote Sensing. Remote Sensing lets Ralph see what is going on in real time at a distant location. Postcognition allows Ralph to see past events to enable him to see what happened. I believe I remember an episode where Pam had been kidnapped. Ralph used Postcognition to see that she had been kidnapped from her home and the picked up her lipstick to see where she was using Psychometry.
Mark Reuter
Overlord
Overlord

Postby Mark Reuter » Sun Oct 14, 2012 6:02 pm

I am thinking of adding Unreliable to all of Ralph's powers except for his protective powers. I will try to do this in the next few days (I start rehearsal tomorrow so my schedule is going to be extremely tight till the show opening (November 1).
Mark Reuter
Overlord
Overlord

PreviousNext

Return to M&M Game Room