Mutants & Masterminds
HQ    ABOUT M&M    SUPER-VISION    GIMMICK'S GADGETS    M&M SUPERLINK    ATOMIC THINK TANK    M&M SHOP
Saving the world, one d20 roll at a time

The League of Extraordinary Persons (OOC)

This forum is the place for Mutants & Masterminds Play-By-Post games. Please read the M&M Game Room rules before starting or joining a game. Enjoy!

Re: The League of Extraordinary Persons (Recruiting thru 10/12)

Postby Bladewind » Tue Oct 09, 2012 3:52 pm

Although pleased with my own submission... I came up with some ideas for characters:

Magic User: Willow Rosenberg: More fun IMO than the Slayer, the Wican sorceress with an addiction to her own magic...

Pyrokinetic: Charlene "Charlie" McGee Drew Barrymore's character from Firestarter....

Brains: Egon Spengler The Ghostbusters have been mentioned already, but still. Proton pack, EKG detector... too much fun to be had.

Artillery Guy: Burt Gummer from Tremors

Secret Agent Type: Agent L MIB
Bladewind
Overlord
Overlord

Postby Ryan M. Danks » Tue Oct 09, 2012 5:24 pm

Is this still open? It sounds like a cool idea.

I'd like to try The M.A.N.T.I.S. I haven't seen it in a while (before high school, in fact), but I did love that one season that it was on the air.
Ryan M. Danks
Firebrand
Firebrand

Postby Lord Fell » Wed Oct 10, 2012 2:48 pm

@Ryan Danks
Recruitment is open until Friday. You need to have at least a partial build up by the time I roll my ass out of bed on Saturday morning. I remember Mantis... I don't think I ever watched it more than a time or three. The character concept brings something different to the mix. I'm a little bit tentative towards it; but I think a good build could bring me around.

@Sirzanek
First... a confession: I wasn't ever really interested in MacGyver. However, I really don't see that as a problem. MacGyver was truly iconic of the period. I joked about Duct Tape, and MacGyver is the duct tape master. This is exactly the type of character we're looking for here -the kind of build transcends my like, dislike or indifference of a character source.

Let's see here... I find it a little odd that his Awareness is higher than his Intellect, but since I've admitted I didn't often follow the show, maybe you're a better judge.

What are your final combat numbers/DC? Your physical defenses are at PL, Saves are close... what can you get your damages to?

I think your skill cost is 25, rather than 28...

I think it could be argued that Quickness limited to Invention is a single task (which would be a -2 Flaw) but... I think I am happier with a -1, because you're doing both Mental and Physical tasks. I am wondering if I shouldn't get you to drop the level though.
I'm not entirely sure how I feel about your uncontrolled Create. By strictest, textbook description, it's an ability that could allow him to suddenly find a taxi cab in his prison cell. I mean, it's uncontrolled, so the GMs could make that call... but it seems like an odd convention. I'm not sure, but I wonder if making it Removable wouldn't be appropriate... but at the same time it might perpetrate the conceptual problem I'm having with it. Also, why is it Split?
Your Healing power seems reasonable...
All three of those abilities could probably be combined under a "Crazy Inventor" Array.
Lord Fell
Overlord
Overlord

Postby Ryan M. Danks » Wed Oct 10, 2012 3:50 pm

I think you're right. After I posted about it I started thinking that he'd be great for a vigilante superhero game, maybe even 4 color, but I don't think he'd fit in with what you have going here.

I can't think of anything else right now, so good luck. :)
Ryan M. Danks
Firebrand
Firebrand

Postby kirinke » Wed Oct 10, 2012 4:39 pm

t... a confession: I wasn't ever really interested in MacGyver. However, I really don't see that as a problem. MacGyver was truly iconic of the period. I joked about Duct Tape, and MacGyver is the duct tape master. This is exactly the type of character we're looking for here -the kind of build transcends my like, dislike or indifference of a character source.

Wrongo on that'un Fell. Macgyver is the Patron Saint of Duct-Tape and crazy jury-riggers everywhere. :wink:
kirinke
Cosmic Scion
Cosmic Scion

Location: Behind the mayo, to the left of the cheese, next to the mystery meat leftover from last week

Postby Spectrum » Wed Oct 10, 2012 6:12 pm

Another idea that would be fun but couldn't pass muster: Spider Murphy from Transmet
Spectrum
Titan
Titan

Postby Lord Fell » Thu Oct 11, 2012 5:21 pm

@Ryan Danks
You've got another day an' a half. A couple of different people have posted suggestions as inspiration, including me. I'd still be happy to see some more builds.

@Kirinke
A rhetorical question for you... what did you really hope to accomplish by posting that?

@Spectrum
Never heard of Transmet, so it would probably not be a good submission.
Lord Fell
Overlord
Overlord

Postby Ryan M. Danks » Thu Oct 11, 2012 8:09 pm

Okay, let me give it another shot...

There may be some overlap with other characters here. I'm just throwing out ideas that sound interesting to me and see where your interests may match.

Streetfighter/Mortal Kombat/DoA/Tekken character (various, it's pretty much the same concept)

Solid Snake (Metal Gear Solid), or the cyber ninja from that game

Indiana Jones

Knight Rider

A Power Ranger

...that's all I got. So, waddaya think?
Ryan M. Danks
Firebrand
Firebrand

Postby Lord Fell » Thu Oct 11, 2012 10:01 pm

Indiana Jones was 80s and 90s movies, but set in the 30s and 40s... not Era appropriate.

Neither Roguescribner nor I are at all enthusiastic about a Power Rangers submission.

Knight Rider... the bit problem I see with this, is that the real Hero of the duo was Kitt, and Michael Knight was almost the running joke of the series. Unfortunately, I think a vehicle as a submission would be difficult to stat up, and would still pose a lot of problems for game play (anywhere inside is off limits).

I remember playing Metal Gear, but I don't recall there being any personality to the character at all. Did they ever add a show or cartoon to that? Actual story that I'm not aware of?

For me... the option that most appeals as a venue for a character from your list, is Street Fighter. I think your best bet would be one of the original Street Fighter II characters: Ken, Ryu, Guile, Dhalsim, E. Honda, Chun Li, Zangief... but less so Blanca. They've got some back story, personality, and that type of Martial Artist is currently missing from the submission list.
Lord Fell
Overlord
Overlord

Postby Ryan M. Danks » Thu Oct 11, 2012 10:15 pm

Sounds good to me.

Initial thoughts...

Ryu would bring the tough guy, iconic martial arts badass with the cool motivation of trying to master the combative arts. Being the wandering Japanese student in search of a worthy opponent is a cool way to bring him in and out of adventures and is always a favorite story of mine.

Ken would be suave and a ladies man, getting into trouble as often as not. He would also have the resources to give the group some support in that department.

Chun Li, beyond being just awesome, is an Interpol agent in some versions of her story, and a cop in others. She would have some contacts that could get things started and would have the necessary investigation skills to help out in non-combat situations.

Those are the most interesting Streetfighter characters to me. I'd say the strongest pull right now are Ryu and Chun Li. I'll figure out which one I like best (or maybe you have a preference) and start on the build.
Ryan M. Danks
Firebrand
Firebrand

Postby Lord Fell » Thu Oct 11, 2012 10:20 pm

I was actually thinking along the same lines. Ken & Ryu are from Street Fighter I, so they're "even more" iconic, if that makes sense. Of the two, I prefer Ryu. I kind of feel that everything I said about American Ninja applies to Ken. As for Chun Li, I kind of think that this campaign is low on female character submissions.
Lord Fell
Overlord
Overlord

Postby Ryan M. Danks » Thu Oct 11, 2012 10:22 pm

Iconic vs Token Female

READY...

FIGHT!

Honestly torn. I'll have to surprise you.
Ryan M. Danks
Firebrand
Firebrand

Postby Ryan M. Danks » Thu Oct 11, 2012 10:40 pm

I think Ryu would be a one-dimensional character to play. Always training and talking about training and fighting and then training. He is deeper than that, but not very.

Chun Li would be more interesting in that her story is driven by revenge for her father's murderer (Cammy, in most instances), a need for Ryu to recognize her as a legitimate fighter (as well as a romantic interest) and the compassion that lends to a great sense of justice, especially where abused women or children are involved.

Her story has much more potential. I'm going to go with her.

Build to come.
Ryan M. Danks
Firebrand
Firebrand

Postby dreamking89 » Thu Oct 11, 2012 11:31 pm

Ok, I'm working on Jareth's Owl power. I'm thinking of doing Morph 1 with Metamorph.

The problem with this is that I basically have a 90 point Owl form, which I honestly think is overkill point-wise. Otherwise, I'm solid.

Should I just fill out the Owl form to the point where I think it's adequate?
It has always been the prerogative of children and half-wits to point out that the emperor has no clothes. But the half-wit remains a half-wit and the emperor remains an emperor.
dreamking89
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby Lord Fell » Fri Oct 12, 2012 12:34 am

@Ryan Danks
Chun Li is still a very iconic figure. She's the first female designed for a fighting game, making her the "first lady of martial arts." I'm looking forward to the build.

@Dreamking
I'm glad you're still chipping away at a build. You've got numbers up, so you're welcome to continue to tinker on your build right up until the last minute -and beyond if you're picked.
It's legal to spend all your points... but since you're building to fit a the character, it might be better to stop when it "feels right." At the same time, there's nothing stopping you from giving your Owl Form some crazy good perception powers, stealth powers, and making sure your defenses are maxed out. This was Jareth's travel and spy form, so by all means you should push those numbers as far as you can afford to.
Lord Fell
Overlord
Overlord

PreviousNext

Return to M&M Game Room