Mutants & Masterminds
HQ    ABOUT M&M    SUPER-VISION    GIMMICK'S GADGETS    M&M SUPERLINK    ATOMIC THINK TANK    M&M SHOP
Saving the world, one d20 roll at a time

The League of Extraordinary Persons (OOC)

This forum is the place for Mutants & Masterminds Play-By-Post games. Please read the M&M Game Room rules before starting or joining a game. Enjoy!

Moderators: The Mod Squad, The Justice League

Re: The League of Extraordinary Persons (Recruiting thru 9/10)

Postby kenmadragon » Mon Oct 08, 2012 5:02 pm

I'm gonna agree with Fell on Jareth. 5 points on morph is better than 7 on a flawed alternate form. That and magic array seems a better fit to a goblin king who runs a labyrinth. Another possible alternate power could be teleport with a limited flaw to only in the labyrinth. Another one could be a 'baleful teleport' in d&d terms which forcefully teleports an enemy creature somewhere, which is basically like a teleport with the attack modifier limited to only into and out of the labyrinth.
kenmadragon
Mastermind
Mastermind

Postby Bladewind » Mon Oct 08, 2012 5:13 pm

Lord Fell wrote:@Bladewind
re: Covering Fire... remember that for a power Range and Area are two different things. Environment is both Ranged and Area; meaning that you can project the Area away from yourself. A cone has no range; the pointy end of the cone starts at you, always. Also, the problem with a Visibility is that it effects Perception checks; which... is kind of useless; anyone you'd use it on already knows where you are.

Try this: Covering FIre Environment 2; Extra: Second Condition, Intense, Selective; Flaw: No Range, Area is Cone; Concealment (-5 to ranged checks), Hinder Movement (-2 Move ranks) {linked} Damage 3 Extras: Cone, Selective
...The way Environment looks and is written up in the books is kind of kooky, because there's a lot of different factors that power level could be defining; how far the power effects, the area it effects, how many effects you have, and whether the effect is normal or intense. I'm not even sure if my notation is correct, but the points add up.

Well, visibility is the descriptor. :D
I like it. Build edited.

Just one question - the "Intense Extra." Does that represent the -2 movement ranks?

Lord Fell wrote:I think the clarification I was looking for was "human(oid) languages." The one thing about being able to speak a language, or perhaps I mean learning to speak a language with only a native speaker as a source, is you need to actually spend (x) time with that subject to master their language... which might not be possible. Having it take a scene also cuts down horribly on the usefulness.

Yeah. Not liking that particular quirk myself now that I think about it... what about the cultures/ archaeology check requirement (a full flaw, giving her a full three ranks - understand/speak/read humanoid languages) ?

Changed that into the sheet too.
Bladewind
Overlord
Overlord

Postby sweetja713 » Mon Oct 08, 2012 6:08 pm

Silent Bob
PL6

Abilities
Strength 3, Stamina 2, Agility 0, Dexterity 0, Fighting 3, Intellect 3, Awareness 1, Presence 0

Powers
Telekinesis:
Telekinesis: move object 2 [Concentration]
(2 points)
Where do you get those wonderful toys?:
Feature 2 [10 points of unallocated gear, may be switch once per scene]
(2 points)
Very expressive without words:
Innuendo: Feature 1 [Deception +5; Limited: Innuendo only]
(1 points)
Inspiration:
Inspired: Luck Control 2 [Give another character luck point, Force reroll (worse of 2); Luck 2]
(8 points)

Equipment
Equipment
Baseball Bat: Damage 2 [Str Based], Trenchcoat: protection 1, Odor eliminating spray: Nullify 2 [Olfactory]

Advantages
Beginner's Luck, Close Attack 4, Defensive Roll 2, Equipment 1, Fast Grab, Improved Grab, Improved Initiative, Improved Hold, Improved Trip, Improvised Tools, Inventor, Luck 3, Takedown, Prone Fighting, Uncanny Dodge

Skills
Athletics 2 (+5), Close Combat: Unarmed 2 (+9), Deception (+0), Expertise: Law 1 (+4), Expertise: Philosophy 4 (+7), Insight 6 (+7), Intimidation 6 (+6), Perception 5 (+6), Persuasion (+0), Sleight of Hand 4 (+4), Stealth 5 (+5), Technology 6 (+9)

Offense
Initiative +0
Baseball Bat +7, Damage 5

Defense
Dodge 6, Parry 6
Toughness 4 (Def Roll 2), Fortitude 5, Will 7

Power Points
Abilities 24 + Powers 13 + Advantages 21 + Skills 14 + Defenses 18 = Total 90

Complications
Silent – As his name implies Silent Bob is silent (for the most part) and communicates mainly through gestures and facial expressions
Big Heart – Silent Bob has a big heart and likes to help anyone he can
Idiot Best Friend – Though he doesn't hang out with Jay as often since he got involved with Justice, Bob will still support him whenever he can
Enjoys Herbal Medication - Silent Bob almost never refuses a chance to get high
Background
Silent Bob grew up in New Jersey and mostly served as a sidekick to a foul mouthed miscreant known only as Jay. As Jay's friend he found himself involved in a variety of adventures including stopping angels exiled to earth from destroying the world and getting involved with a gang of jewel thieves. At the end of a wild trip to Hollywood, Jay found a steady girlfriend and Silent Bob found himself adrift with little to do. That was when the league contacted him.
Last edited by sweetja713 on Tue Nov 06, 2012 8:00 pm, edited 8 times in total.
sweetja713
Daredevil
Daredevil

Postby Lord Fell » Mon Oct 08, 2012 6:16 pm

Bluntman?
He might need a variable equipment pool ("Where do you get these wonderful toys?")
I'm not entirely sure how Roguescribner feels about the character. I'm a Kevin Smith fan, so I can appreciate it. My sense is that he's more of a joke submission... but at the same time, he might fit into a final group. As long as you're pleased to add him to your stable of characters, and won't be too upset if he gets passed over.

@Bladewind
Environment is supposed to cost 1pp for the milder degree of the environmental effect, and 2pp per rank for the more intense rank. There isn't really a good established way to write that out, so I represent it as the Intense extra whenever I stat up Environment.
Lord Fell
Overlord
Overlord

Postby sweetja713 » Mon Oct 08, 2012 6:44 pm

Yep not too concerned if he get's passed over but I figure he'd be fun to play. How would you work out a variable equip. Just take variable limited equipment?
sweetja713
Daredevil
Daredevil

Postby Lord Fell » Mon Oct 08, 2012 6:46 pm

As a Feat, Equipment 1 (5ep "gear" undefined).
Once you spend ep to get a piece of gear, it's set for the round and you can't change it.
Lord Fell
Overlord
Overlord

Postby dreamking89 » Mon Oct 08, 2012 10:23 pm

To answer Lord Fell's questions:

1) I changed around Jareth's build. I feel it's a lot better, and hopefully you do too. :D

2) The child from earth, the man riding a snail and the black void destroying the Labyrinth are all references to Neverending Story. It is implied in both Labyrinth and Neverending Story that the Labyrinth and Fantasia exist because of mankind's dreams and fantasies, so I figured Jareth's realm was just as susceptible to the Nothing as Fantasia. I dunno how you feel about crossing the streams of nostalgia in our backgrounds, but I think it's kinda badass.

3) My build for the Labyrinth and Jareth's goblin minions are also there as well.
It has always been the prerogative of children and half-wits to point out that the emperor has no clothes. But the half-wit remains a half-wit and the emperor remains an emperor.
dreamking89
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby Lord Fell » Tue Oct 09, 2012 12:07 am

@Dreamking
Lots better... but still needs work.
Obviously, I haven't seen Never Ending Story... I'm aware of it, of course. I'm actually quite happy for you to merge the sources. The eventual game we come up with will be a pastiche, and starting to mix in other elements into your own backstory (in a way that makes sense) is very good.

I've got a couple of problems with your Minion Power. The Horde extra lets you summon your maximum number of Minions all at once... that number, is 1. You haven't purchased extra minions. Also, with a Summon power of 3, your Minions are PL3. Jareth typically had only one minion at a time anyways. I think I'd do something like:
Summon 4 (Extra: Active, Flaw: Indifferent, Limited Use: Only at Night) [4pp]

I've got a different Barn Owl related problem now... Morph 1 doesn't actually "cut it." You still need to tie the Morph to Shrinking and Flight... your Flight should also have Subtle -wings are flappy, but owls are noiseless. Your Magic rank is PL6 (12pp) so you should still have 7pp to spend adding flight and Shrinking.

I also wish I knew what your individual powers cost, because it's a pain in the ass to try and figure out if your costs add up. It looks like you've built him in Hero Lab, so it should work out, but I have no way of verifying that.

Your Magic has an undefined base power "Magic 6" for generic energy control powers, the base power is a Blast. I don't at all mind that Jareth has Magic (blast) 6, because it gives him some basic offense, but he has no Ranged Combat: Magic skill. My suspicion is you didn't realize that you had this as a specific power. This same Skill could also be used for his Affliction (which doesn't have one).

Dodge 6, Parry 0, Fortitude 2, Toughness 2, Will 0
Your defenses are... way to low. These numbers should be close to caps.
Lord Fell
Overlord
Overlord

Postby dreamking89 » Tue Oct 09, 2012 1:38 am

I am using Hero lab, and I'm not having any trouble with your suggestions save the Barn Owl form. I can't seem to make a good build of the power with the points I have left. If anyone can help, that'd be awesome.
It has always been the prerogative of children and half-wits to point out that the emperor has no clothes. But the half-wit remains a half-wit and the emperor remains an emperor.
dreamking89
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby Bladewind » Tue Oct 09, 2012 4:41 am

dreamking89 wrote:I am using Hero lab, and I'm not having any trouble with your suggestions save the Barn Owl form. I can't seem to make a good build of the power with the points I have left. If anyone can help, that'd be awesome.

I'm not sure what the GMs will think of these ideas, but I think they fly...

What about morph 1, metamorph 1? At a cost of 6 pts, you can have a seperate set of stats and it's easy to requisition the necessary points from areas that are not available in owl form. I don't know the source material on this one, but I'm thinking of the sorceress from He-Man... outside of Grayskull she was just a bird...

Shape shift (with appropriate flaws) can also accomplish the same thing with a similar cost if done right...
Last edited by Bladewind on Tue Oct 09, 2012 7:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bladewind
Overlord
Overlord

Postby Bladewind » Tue Oct 09, 2012 4:43 am

Lord Fell wrote:@Bladewind
Environment is supposed to cost 1pp for the milder degree of the environmental effect, and 2pp per rank for the more intense rank. There isn't really a good established way to write that out, so I represent it as the Intense extra whenever I stat up Environment.

Thanks!
Bladewind
Overlord
Overlord

Postby CaptainChaos » Tue Oct 09, 2012 7:36 am

CaptainChaos
Mastermind
Mastermind

Postby sirzanek » Tue Oct 09, 2012 8:00 am

Ok, getting in under the wire. Work has been kicking me in the sensitive bits this last week or so. Last time I agree to be stage director and technical director... Apologies for lack of a fancy photo. That will come later, time permitting.

MacGyver has been enjoying an extremely early retirement from the Phoenix Foundation. Having set up at a fishing cabin in Minnesota, he intended to spend his retirement getting to know his son. That plan sort of collapsed when his boy joined the military. Volunteering to go to Iraq created a rift with his father that would never end up being healed. Wanting better than a soldier’s life for his son, Mac couldn’t hear his son’s arguments about duty and wanting to try to help in a horrible situation. His son storming off held the last words they would share and they were angry. In a cruel twist of fate, Mac’s son was killed by an IED, something that his father could have whipped up in a heart beat. Now, retirement is just time to dwell on past mistakes for the mullet wearing miracle mechanic. So, when the recruiter turned up on his cabin doorstep, he was eager to get back out in the field to distract himself.

MacGyver is basically the same that we know and love, if not a bit older, a bit wiser, and a bit sadder. He is still affable and a wizard with a roll of duct tape, but his distrust of the military has sharpened, as well as his personal aversion to fire arms. He could very well slip into a more paternal roll for younger members of the team, subconsciously looking to replace his lost boy.

MacGyver

Strength: +1 Dexterity: +2 Agility: +2 Fight: +2 Stamina: +3
Awareness: +5 Intellect: +4 Charisma: +2

Close Combat: +2 (+5 Unarmed or with improvised weapons)
Ranged Combat: +2 (+5 with Unorthodox projectiles)
Parry: +7 Dodge: +7
Will: +5 Fortitude: +3 Toughness: +3

Skills-
Technology 10 (+14), Athletics 4 (+5), Acrobatics 2 (+4), Close Combat Unarmed 3, Ranged Combat unorthodox Projectiles 3, Perception 6 (+11), Expertise: Cryptography 2 (+6), Expertise: Spycraft 2 (+6), Expertise: Physical Sciences 6 (+10), Deception 5 (+7), Insight 6 (+11), Investigation 7 (+11), Persuasion 6 (+8), Sleight of Hand 7 (+9), Stealth 7 (+9), Vehicles 5 (+7)

Advantages-
Benefit: Phoenix Foundation Clearance, Improvised Tools, inventor, Improvised Weapons, Skill Mastery Technology, Ultimate Effort Technology, Equipment 3, Second Chance: Demolitions Disposal

Powers-
“Clock is Ticking”: Quickness 10 (Limited to Invention) 5pts. This is MacGyver’s ability to whip together his MacGyverisms in very little time. Something done so routinely didn’t seem to fit the hero point cost for Jury Rigging.
“There has to be something I can use…”: Luck 4 for purposes of Dramatic Editing.
“Give me a minute, I can get this running again”: Healing 4 (Affects Objects, Limited Objects Only, Temporary, Subtle, Quirk-Takes a number of rounds equal to the number of damage conditions already on the object) 4pts. This is MacGyver’s ability to get anything up and running, even if only for a little while.

Equipment: (Duct Tape 1, Multi Tool 1, Binoculars 1, Flashlight 1, Cell Phone 1, Motorcycle 10)

Abilities 42 + Skills 28 + Advantages 10 + Powers 15 + Defense 10 = 105

Complications:
No guns: MacGyver will never fire a gun, and only begrudgingly even hold one. There is always a non lethal alternative in his mind, you just have to find it.

Distrust of the Military: Losing his son did nothing to help his opinion of the military. Most people in the armed forces are going to be viewed as a shoot first ask questions later gun monkey. It is very hard for the older Mac to hide his disdain for that kind of blind obedience and willingness to kill.
Last edited by sirzanek on Mon Oct 15, 2012 4:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
sirzanek
Zealot
Zealot

Postby Bladewind » Tue Oct 09, 2012 11:20 am

sirzanek wrote:Apologies for lack of a fancy photo. That will come later, time permitting.

Bladewind
Overlord
Overlord

Postby Lord Fell » Tue Oct 09, 2012 12:18 pm

Attention Supplicants!

I received a PM from Roguescribner this morning. It would seem that flamboyant shit-gremlins have loaded a belt-fed machinegun with fecal rounds and are firing full-auto at his rotary impeller. He has had, from his account, a pretty craptastic weekend. He will probably not have the emotional energy to give a rusted nickle about your imaginary people until next week.

As you may know, I did not sign on to GM this. Mostly, I wanted the opportunity to be mean to people... I am happy to tell you your concepts are infantile babbling and your mechanics are barely legal catastrophes. I'm not prepared to actually come up with interesting ideas of my own, or actually plot out an adventure that might hold your interest for more than a few days... you know, actually doing something that would be constructive.

Here's what's gonna happen...
I'm still not comfortable making final picks, and I think this kind of recruitment should be a joyful cheese fest. I'd like to see more Gouda, Cheddar, and even Camembert flying around here. Recruitment is going to stay open until Friday; by that time, if you want to be considered you have to have at least an attempt at a build posted by that time. Your build doesn't have to be finished, or even very good... but at least a starting point to show us what direction you were planning on taking your iconic 80s or 90s reimagination. Over the weekend, I will continue to nitpick your builds heartlessly until you either get it right, or withdraw in teary-eyed frustration. I will make my final recommendations to Roguescribner on Sunday (or we'll converse behind the scenes (talk shit about your submissions)) throughout.

Hopefully, he will be ready to make his final picks around Monday, and start the IC Wednesday-ish.

Thank you for your continued patience and enthusiasm.
*Large portions of this missive were posted with at least a smidge of irony.
Lord Fell
Overlord
Overlord

PreviousNext

Return to M&M Game Room