Mutants & Masterminds
HQ    ABOUT M&M    SUPER-VISION    GIMMICK'S GADGETS    M&M SUPERLINK    ATOMIC THINK TANK    M&M SHOP
Saving the world, one d20 roll at a time

The League of Extraordinary Persons (OOC)

This forum is the place for Mutants & Masterminds Play-By-Post games. Please read the M&M Game Room rules before starting or joining a game. Enjoy!

Moderators: The Mod Squad, The Justice League

Re: The League of Extraordinary Persons (Recruiting)

Postby Hound » Sun Sep 30, 2012 9:54 pm

Damn it.

All of my favourite cartoons/movies from the 80's or 90's have the following.

Giant Robots, Mutants, anthropomorphic animals, or comic book super heroes.

Very few that actually fit the bill for this exsist. I mean if Lord Fell wont let me play Ash, then I gotta turn to my other favs, why play something unless you love it.

But I mean, Unless I want to Pick a GIJoe, none of them are real heroes.

I mean, try and make a super hero from Johnny Bravo, The Critic, King of the Hill, Simpsons, Daria, Doug, Rugrats, Hey Arnold, Inspector Gadget(Actually this is the only one that I might be able to use), (Ghost Busters has already been called), Maybe C.O.P.S but I think that's too futuristic,

All of my truly favourite shows were like Batman the Animated Series, Super man the Animated Series, Gargoyles, Darkwing Duck, Tailspin, Transformers, Thundercats, Batman Beyond, The Tick, The X-men, Disney's The Gummi Bears, The Rescue Rangers, Duck tales, Teenage Mutant Ninja turtles, Captain Planet...

Gosh Darn it!

I don't know what to do =\

*bangs head on wall* think damn you!
"Whats wrong? You came here expecting to fight a madman, and instead found a god!?"
My Characters
Hound
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby dreamking89 » Sun Sep 30, 2012 9:56 pm

My friend just gave me a cool idea.

The team's financier could be an enigmatic businessman only known as Jack....

It has always been the prerogative of children and half-wits to point out that the emperor has no clothes. But the half-wit remains a half-wit and the emperor remains an emperor.
dreamking89
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby Lord Fell » Sun Sep 30, 2012 10:16 pm

@Hound
Now I feel kinda bad. Uhm... we're definitely not banning Ash. And, I think Roguescribner and I are of different opinions on this, too. For me, I just have the sense that Ash is just too epic to leave room for anyone else to shine. So, while I'd kind of prefer you to submit something else (kind of the opposite problem with Dexter's Lab; instead of not knowing the character, I'm a huge fan of the character), by no means is Ash banned.
Lord Fell
Overlord
Overlord

Postby Adventure Dan » Sun Sep 30, 2012 10:18 pm

Hm... I'm considering a handful of characters. Off the top of my head there is Rocky Balboa, Duke Nukem, the Red Mighty Morphin Power Ranger, Sonic the Hedgehog, and maybe even one of the Powerpuff Girls. I can see why Sonic wouldn't work, since he technically is a talking animal, but not in the same sense that Pinky and the Brain are. Any preferences from either GM?
Adventure Dan
Cohort
Cohort

Postby Lord Fell » Sun Sep 30, 2012 10:54 pm

@Dreamking
re: Called Shots, technically speaking, no.
Such a thing could be "simulated" by (for example) Power Attack. I mean, your Colt .45 isn't going to shoot any harder no matter how much you want to make it do so. However, Power Attack drops your accuracy in favour of increased damage. A Power Attack could be rationalized as "a head shot" -reduce your likelihood of hitting to score more damage.

You can also do such things as Improved Disarm, Improved Sunder to target an enemies weapons.

@Adventure Dan
I think someone else "called" Rocky Balboa, but I think he'd be a good pick. I don't personally care much for Duke Nukem -especially if you consider Duke Nukem Forever as a guide.

uhm.

I realize that this might disqualify me as an arbiter of what's "good" 80s & 90s Pop Culture, but I have a withering disdain for Power Rangers. Waste of air time, seriously. Really, I hate that crap. Oh, look! Peerless Paragenger is recruiting!

I don't see any reason why Sonic wouldn't fall afoul the Talking Animal Ban... I mean, it's not something I implemented, but it also means I don't have to worry about Howard the Duck, so I'm good with it.

I do like the notion of the Power Puff Girls, but I'm afraid they might be too "super heroey," even when you consider their lack of costumes, they are Paragons.
Lord Fell
Overlord
Overlord

Postby dreamking89 » Sun Sep 30, 2012 11:50 pm

Dexter

"Ah, what a fine day for science!!"

From a young age, Dexter achieved a level of intellect that many thought was impossible. By the time he was 11 he had an enormous hidden laboratory in his bedroom that rivaled (and in some cases, surpassed) that of the worlds best scientific facilities. It seemed that Dexter could achieve anything if he simply set his mind to it. He built giant robots, traveled to other planets, created a supergrowth formula for plants, discovered Sasquatch, and was even the first human on Mars. The only thing holding him back was his sister Dee-Dee, who's playful antics often caused the destruction of entire sections of Dexter's laboratory.

This all changed, however, when Dexter's sister went off to college. With his older sister gone, Dexter now had one thing holding him back: his rival Mandark. A boy just as smart as Dexter, Mandark's crush on Dee-Dee had kept him from being a serious threat to Dexter or the world. Now that she was gone, Dexter's rival lost the only tie he had to any sort of morals. Mandark was now willing to perform dangerous experiments on animals, plants and even humans, all in an attempt to best Dexter.

Fortunately, Dee-Dee's departure allowed for Dexter to perfect his inventions without anyone smashing them to pieces. When his sister still lived at home, his rivalry had been little more than an overly complex game. Now that human lives were at stake, Dexter besting Mandark not only became a matter of pride, but a necessity.

Now seventeen years old, the Boy Genius's mind is just as sharp as ever. His lab is now even larger in order to make room for the inventions that Dee-Dee was no longer there to destroy. He has begun anonymously 'donating' his creations to various governments, if only as a preemptive attempt to keep people safe from Mandark, who is now considered one of the world's most wanted terrorists. Amazingly enough, Dexter's secret lab still remains a secret to the world, but as Mandark's experiments get worse and worse, it's only a matter of time before Dexter's greatest secret is exposed....

Dexter - PL 6

Strength -2, Stamina 0, Agility 1, Dexterity 1, Fighting 0, Intellect 8, Awareness 3, Presence 0

Advantages
Benefit, Cipher 2, Eidetic Memory, Equipment 8, Favored Foe: Mandark or his creations, Improvised Tools, Inventor, Languages 1, Skill Mastery: Expertise: Science, Skill Mastery: Technology, Speed of Thought, Well-informed

Skills
Deception 7 (+7), Expertise: Science 8 (+16), Insight 7 (+10), Investigation 5 (+13), Perception 7 (+10), Ranged Combat: High Velocity Sphere Launcher: Blast 6 2 (+3), Technology 8 (+16), Treatment 5 (+13), Vehicles 9 (+10)

Powers
Dex-transformer 2.0 (Removable)
. . High Velocity Sphere Launcher: Blast 6 (DC 21)
. . Projectile Reflector: Force Field 6 (+6 Toughness)
Quickness: Quickness 10 (Perform routine tasks in -10 time ranks; Limited to One Type: Mental)

Equipment
Blaster Pistol, Cell Phone (Smartphone), Dexter's Laboratory

Offense
Initiative +8
Blaster Pistol, +1 (DC 20)
Grab, +0 (DC Spec 8)
High Velocity Sphere Launcher: Blast 6, +3 (DC 21)
Throw, +1 (DC 13)
Unarmed, +0 (DC 13)

Complications
Enemy: Mandark: Dexter's childhood enemy and the one of the few people who can match Dexter's genius. As they have grown, so has their rivalry. For six years, the two have played a dangerous, insanely complex chess game. If Mandark learns of Dexter's involvement in the League, he will certainly work against the group simply to spite his rival.
Get out of my Laboratory!!!!!: Dexter has managed to keep his treasured secret lab hidden from his parents, the government and the most powerful organizations in the world. Only a handful of people even know the lab exists, and even less know of it's exact location. Dexter will go to great lengths to make sure it remains that way.

Languages
English, French

Defense
Dodge 4, Parry 1, Fortitude 3, Toughness 6, Will 6

Power Points
Abilities 22 + Powers 19 + Advantages 19 + Skills 20 (58 ranks) + Defenses 10 = 90

Dexter's Laboratory - PL 6

Toughness 10, Size Awesome

Features:
Communications, Computer, Defense System, Dual Size: Fine, Fire Prevention System, Garage, Hangar, Laboratory, Personnel, Power System, Secret 4, Security System 4, Workshop

Power Points
Abilities 6 + Powers 0 + Advantages 0 + Features 19 + Skills 0 (0 ranks) + Defenses 2 + Equipment 0 (0 ep) + Weapons & Armor 0 (0 ep) = 27
Last edited by dreamking89 on Tue Oct 02, 2012 10:53 am, edited 3 times in total.
It has always been the prerogative of children and half-wits to point out that the emperor has no clothes. But the half-wit remains a half-wit and the emperor remains an emperor.
dreamking89
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby Spectrum » Mon Oct 01, 2012 2:50 am

Lord Fell wrote:@Adventure Dan
I think someone else "called" Rocky Balboa, but I think he'd be a good pick. I don't personally care much for Duke Nukem -especially if you consider Duke Nukem Forever as a guide.

Two suggestions if you want someone similar to Duke Nukem:

'Serious Sam' (Duke Nukem expy done by a Croatian programming team)
'Nada' from They Live, the source of the I'm all out of bubblegum quote.
Spectrum
Titan
Titan

Postby Spectrum » Mon Oct 01, 2012 2:51 am

Also, kinda surprised that noone has called Sarge from Doom.
Spectrum
Titan
Titan

Postby kirinke » Mon Oct 01, 2012 4:16 am

Dream king? You can free up a power point by either choosing Eidetic Memory or Jack of trades, not both.
With Eidetic memory, you just gain access to all expertise skills.
With Jack of trades, every skill opens up.
Also with Ranged/close combat, if it is a skill, you need to specify what kind of combat it is, like power array, or guns and unarmed combat and sumsuch.
kirinke
Cosmic Scion
Cosmic Scion

Location: Behind the mayo, to the left of the cheese, next to the mystery meat leftover from last week

Postby Bluecross » Mon Oct 01, 2012 5:00 am

Name: Connor MacLeod / The Highlander PL:5 PP:105

Hero Points:1

Abilities [32pp] + Defenses [11pp] + Advantages [20pp] + Skills [20pp] + Powers [22pp] = 105 pp

Abilities [32pp]
STR 1
AGL 2
DEX 0
FGT 3
STA 3
AWE 2
INT 2
PRES 3

Defenses [11pp]
Dodge (AGL) (2+3) = 5
Parry (FGT) (3+3) = 6
Fortitude (STA) (3+2) = 5
Toughness (STA) (3+1 (DR)) = 4
Will (AWE) (2+3) = 5

Offense
Initiative: +6

Ranged Combat +4

Close Combat: Swords +5
Close Combat: other weapons +3
Unarmed: +3
Damage: Masamune Sword: +5, Penetrating 4

Advantages [20pp]
Languages 4 [English, French, German, Spanish, Japanese, Russian, Chinese, Arabic; base language: Scots Gaelic] 4pp
Well Informed
Jack-of-All-Trades

Expert Swordsman: 10pp
Accurate Attack
Defensive Attack
Improved Disarm
Power Attack
Improved Critical 2: Swords (18-20 = Critical threat)
Improved Initiative
Takedown 2
Quick Draw

Defensive Roll
Uncanny Dodge
Throwing Mastery

Equipment 1 (Cellphone, Trenchcoat, Throwing Knives (Ranged Damage 1))

Skills [20pp]
Acrobatics {Agl} (2+3) = +5
Athletics {Str} (1+4) = +5
Close Combat:Swords {Fight} (3+2) = +5
Ranged Combat: Throwing weapons 2 {Dex} (0+4) = +4

Deception 2 {Pres} (3+6) = +9
Persuasion 3 {Pres} (3+7) = +10
Insight {Awe} (2+4) = +6
Investigation 2 {Int} (2+6) = +8
Perception {Awe} (2+4) = +6

Stealth {Agl} (2+3) = +5

Expertise {Int}
Art (2+4) = +6
History 2 (2+6) = +8
Streetwise (2+4) = +6

Powers [22pp]
Masamune Sword [7pp]
Strike 4 [Str-based damage; Penetrating 4] 8pp
Concealment 2 [Normal sight; Flaws: Passive; Limited: the Sword only, when it’s put away] 1pp
Easily Removable [-2pp]

One of the Immortals [15pp]
Regeneration 5 [remove -1 Toughness every second round; Persistent] 6pp
Immortality 2 [Flaw: Limited, only if not decapitated; 1 week to resurrect] 2pp
Environmental Adaptation: Immunity 5 (all environmental conditions), Limited: one environment at a time [3 pp]
Immunity:Aging [1pp]
Detect: Immortal beings [Mental] [1pp]
Speed 1 [1pp]

Feat: The Quickening [1pp]
When Connor McLeod slays another Immortal in combat, he is infused with that Immortals essence, gaining a great deal of power for a short duration.

Complications
Honour: Cannot fight on holy ground such as in churches

Enemies: Connor MacLeod is one of the Immortals. Other Immortals will seek to find him and kill him… …permanently.

Who wants to live forever?: Connor has lived far longer than is wise or healthy. He is somewhat prove to ennui, world-weariness, and cynicism.

Background

Heather was gone. They’d had many good years together, he supposed he should be grateful for that, but like everyone in the end, she was gone. Time had worn her life away like the sea eroding the land. Sometimes Connor wished it could be the same for him. Immortality – the dream of so many – was as much a burden as a blessing.

Since Heather's passing, Connor hadn't met anyone he'd really connected with. He'd lost an anchor, a point of contact with society. For a long while he wandered, rootless. There were still a few places he’d not been to, and travelling to them in a way brought peace to his mind. Eschewing the modern modes of transport, he travelled on foot, horse, and by boat where needed. It wasn’t like he’d had to hurry. A few years in South America were followed by extensive travels in Africa and then Asia. Eventually he found himself in Western Europe, tired of travel like much else.

Settling for a time in Germany, Connor found work as an independent, on-call, ‘problem solver’ for various known and unknown government agencies, taking trips into the Balkans and the former Soviet Union. He was known as Wyatt MacLeod – a sign of respect to Brenda – and was involved in such tasks as rescuing downed NATO pilots in the former Yugoslavia, tracking down ‘missing’ nuclear weaponry in the Ukraine, dealing with Russian Mafia, and negotiating with Chechen rebels. The kind of work suited him, mostly using his wits and persuading, with the occasional danger to keep things interesting; and it had the advantage of allowing him to keep his background somewhat mysterious and vague. No doubt some people in agencies like the CIA, MI6 and the FSB had heard of him – perhaps even hired his services – but none had pried too far into his background, at least, as far as he knew.

There was one thing that was constantly in the back of his mind, however. The Immortals. After the traumatic events in New York, Connor had gone for years without sensing or hearing of any others. Yet he still felt that there were other Immortals still out there, and kept himself in shape and ready for an encounter.

Updated some minor changes and a typo picked up by Lord Fell. Added Takedown 2, Speed 1; Reduced Defensive Roll by 1 and a point spent on Toughness.

Added a background up to circa 2000. Left Brenda (from the movie) out... I've ignored the continuity of the movie sequels and TV series because (a) the movie sequels suck and (b) I'm not too familiar with them or the TV series. Also I've tried to leave things open for the GMs to introduce what they want once the game starts...

Traded off Parry for Toughness; added Flaw on Immortality

Removed Diehard and the Ranged on Detect: Immortals; added a second rank in Expertise: History and Investigate.

Changed the Immunity powers to Variable Environmental Adaptation {from Talesin’s post here} + Immunity to Aging and Disease.

I think that better represents his Immortality - he will take some time to adapt to a new environment (underwater, Arctic, etc..) but will basically be OK.

Added 'The Quickening' as a Feat - something for the GMs to play with, perhaps? :wink:

Added Jack-of-All-Trades to round out the build.
Last edited by Bluecross on Fri Nov 02, 2012 9:49 pm, edited 11 times in total.
"I know gun fu"

Crusher - Batch 9

Curt Mardis :- Tracer - Albright Institute

Connor MacLeod - LoEP

Minos - Wild Cards

GM for Toledo Knights
Bluecross
Mastermind
Mastermind

Postby sirzanek » Mon Oct 01, 2012 5:27 am

This one looks like too much fun to pass up. And since a true '80s TV icon has not yet been spoken for, I'm going to grab the genius responsible for this line:

For the past seven years I have done nothing but travel around the world getting shot up, locked up, blown up... and all I have to show for it are a couple of empty rolls of duct tape.

The man, the myth, the mullet wearing legend; Macgyver.

I could see him filling the sabateur/stealth/infiltration kind of role. I'll try to get him stated up as soon as possible.
sirzanek
Zealot
Zealot

Postby roguescribner » Mon Oct 01, 2012 5:40 am

@dreamking

Called shots don't really exist in M&M, but can be simulated by power attack and/or improved critical.

@Hound

Ash is not banned. I think Lord Fell was saying if you're going to submit him, you better bring your A-game. :)

Adventure Dan wrote:Hm... I'm considering a handful of characters. Off the top of my head there is Rocky Balboa, Duke Nukem, the Red Mighty Morphin Power Ranger, Sonic the Hedgehog, and maybe even one of the Powerpuff Girls. I can see why Sonic wouldn't work, since he technically is a talking animal, but not in the same sense that Pinky and the Brain are. Any preferences from either GM?

Sonic won't work, I'm wary of a Power Ranger (mostly tone-wise, I want the game to be light and fun but not necessarily silly). I don't really know anything about the Powerpuff Girls. Rocky and Duke would be okay.

@sirzanek

Macgyver is a good choice. :)
GM - Age of Heroes Chapter 2
Sarvak - The Injustice Gang
roguescribner
Paragon
Paragon

Postby timothy » Mon Oct 01, 2012 6:08 am

Hmmm. Not sure that Sledge is really 'heroey' enough...

So -

Dr. Jonathan Chase... wealthy, young, handsome. A man with the brightest of futures. A man with the darkest of pasts. From Africa's deepest recesses, to the rarefied peaks of Tibet, heir to his father's legacy and the world's darkest mysteries. Jonathan Chase, master of the secrets that divide man from animal, animal from man...
Manimal!

Basically a PL6 take on the shapeshifter archetype. Or, would it be better to go with metamorph with the hawk and panther (his primary choices) and powerstunt other forms?

Would he be an acceptable choice? And which mechanic would you prefer?
Here comes the Dog!
Stong and brave!
Here comes the Dog!
The day he will save!
timothy
Zealot
Zealot

Postby kenmadragon » Mon Oct 01, 2012 7:10 am

Take about three-four ranks of morph with the metamorph extra, then allot a couplet points to growth and shrinking, then go to town. Variable is a great power if you have a lit of points to spend, but only useful if you are going to do something different with it every time. Arrays aren't that bad, but by your description, morph and metamorph suit your needs.

Also, I like the Dexter and Highlander builds. I do have to wonder why Dexter doesn't have a variable power with the removable and slow flaws to represent his plethora of gadgets. IIRC, he had some new crazy gadget nearly every episode, and I figured he would have that.
kenmadragon
Mastermind
Mastermind

Postby Spectrum » Mon Oct 01, 2012 7:16 am

Wow, getting impressively obscure there Timothy :)

How about: The Wizard, Misfits of Science, Automan or Turbo Teen?
Spectrum
Titan
Titan

PreviousNext

Return to M&M Game Room