Mutants & Masterminds
HQ    ABOUT M&M    SUPER-VISION    GIMMICK'S GADGETS    M&M SUPERLINK    ATOMIC THINK TANK    M&M SHOP
Saving the world, one d20 roll at a time

Game for pbp rookies!

This forum is the place for Mutants & Masterminds Play-By-Post games. Please read the M&M Game Room rules before starting or joining a game. Enjoy!

Moderators: The Mod Squad, The Justice League

Game for pbp rookies!

Postby bi0philia » Fri Sep 28, 2012 4:37 pm

i've seen some other boards where they run games for pbp beginners.
anyone out there interested in running a game for the guys like us who havent found their way into a game with veterans vying for positions?
bi0philia
Heavyweight
Heavyweight

Re: Game for pbp rookies!

Postby roguescribner » Fri Sep 28, 2012 5:01 pm

While I'm not opposed to the idea conceptually, I'm afraid that the majority of n00bs are unreliable and any pbp game made up of just n00b players will quickly flame out. Here is a recent example. That game barely lasted more than a month before it was shut down for missing or barely participating players.

It's one thing when you're playing in person or via chat or something. But pbp takes a big time commitment from the GM and the players and as someone who GMs on occasion I don't feel like it'd be worth the effort to construct a game knowing chances are it'll flame out in a matter of weeks.

Heck, some games flame out after a few weeks with veteran players. But the odds are even worse with new players.
GM - Age of Heroes Chapter 2
Sarvak - The Injustice Gang
roguescribner
Paragon
Paragon

Postby roguescribner » Fri Sep 28, 2012 5:03 pm

That being said, if you're a newbie, just make yourself known around the boards to give people a sense of who you are. Apply to games. You probably won't make the first few you apply to, but eventually, someone will take a chance on you. When that happens, run with it! :)
GM - Age of Heroes Chapter 2
Sarvak - The Injustice Gang
roguescribner
Paragon
Paragon

Postby FuzzyBoots » Fri Sep 28, 2012 5:13 pm

My advice, as I've posted before in other threads, is to jump in feet first. Apply to games. Post builds on Roll Call. Join discussions on the General board. Write stories for the Story Board. All of them let people get a handle on who you are and what you do.
FuzzyBoots
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby ZamuelNow » Fri Sep 28, 2012 5:50 pm

Hmm...I wonder.

What if there were a few mini-campaigns? Adventures that, if in person, they would be only two sessions or so for the full thing. It would give people the ability to come in and contribute but the games would be structured for rotating casts.

Just a small brainstorm. It may be better to simply try to look for open campaigns to join.
ZamuelNow
Sidekick
Sidekick

Postby Mr.Sandman » Fri Sep 28, 2012 7:36 pm

Zam, my Hatters Heroes game was meant to be that exactly. Rotating players and even rotating Gm's. If someone else would like to pick up a game in it feel free.
Mr.Sandman
Superhero
Superhero

Postby ZamuelNow » Fri Sep 28, 2012 11:28 pm

Glancing at the OOC, that seems a little interesting. However, brainstorming something else to possibly run.
ZamuelNow
Sidekick
Sidekick

Postby SilvercatMoonpaw » Sat Sep 29, 2012 7:07 am

At the speed of some of the threads here even something "one to two sessions" (however long that looks) might still be kind of much.

Even simpler would be to have two threads: an "HQ space station" thread where collected heroes can hang out and roleplay talking about hero stuff or "normal" life as a hero, and a "battle" thread where heroes can teleport down from the HQ into adventures that are basically single battles against enemies no lead-up needed (i.e. one "adventure" is fighting off some invading aliens, next adventure is a running battle through the Evil Overlord's Secret Base, the next is beating down an "unstoppable" fighting machine, etc.).

That way people can jump into either a roleplay or a battle without disrupting a "story", test out the system, practice roleplay, and figure out what posting speed is good for them
SilvercatMoonpaw
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Spectrum » Sat Sep 29, 2012 8:18 pm

I suspect that a new player oriented game run as a convention (or demo) game could go over well. If a GM was willing to 'sell' the game rather than expecting a basic level of gaming experience.

But then again, if someone is here, chances are that they already know the basis.

It does bring up big questions as to what our first month retention rate actually is and what we can do to improve it.
Spectrum
Titan
Titan

Return to M&M Game Room