Mutants & Masterminds
HQ    ABOUT M&M    SUPER-VISION    GIMMICK'S GADGETS    M&M SUPERLINK    ATOMIC THINK TANK    M&M SHOP
Saving the world, one d20 roll at a time

[3e] This Broken Earth [recruiting]

This forum is the place for Mutants & Masterminds Play-By-Post games. Please read the M&M Game Room rules before starting or joining a game. Enjoy!

Re: [3e] This Broken Earth [recruiting]

Postby kirinke » Sun Sep 30, 2012 6:04 am

Hey, is there anyway for giving us more skill points per pp than the usual 2? They're probably the most expensive stuff to 'buy' for PL 8's.

Hmmm. I have in mind a grey jedish/smugglar turned mercenary character from the old republic, someone who could act as a mentor type character (been there, shot that, burnt the t-shirt and salted the ashes) for the Bladewind's character.

NAME Senya Quillian
CONCEPT Gray Jedi/Mercenary
ORIGIN Human/alien
AGE 200 (looks in her mid twenties)
HGT 5ft, 8inches tall
BUILD Slender
HAIR Red
EYES Hazel
SKIN Caucasion

ABILITIES
1 STR
8 STA
1 DEX
1 AGL
4 INT
4 AWE
4 PRE
46 PP

DEFENSES
8(1+7) DODGE
8(1+7) PARRY
8 FORT
8 TOUGH
4 WILL
PP 14

SKILLS
6(1+5) Sleight of hands
6(1+5) Vehicles
4 Insight
4 Perception
4 Persuasion
4 Intimidation
4 Deception
4 Treatment
4 Investigation
4 Technology
Expertise
4 Criminal
4 Current Events
4 Popular Culture
4 History
4 Theology
4 Arcane Lore
4 Science
4 Survival
PP 5

Advantages
Improved Init 2
Luck x2
Equipment x3
Jack of all Trades
PP 8

Force Powers
Force Strike 8 (split attack) Takes the form of two glowing swords of pure blue light
Force Telekiensis 8 (precise)
Force Push 8 (ranged attack)
Force Deflect 8 (Reflect)
Force Healing 8 (stabalize)
Communication 4 anywhere on earth
Senses: detect disturbances in the force, detect force corruption, spatial awareness
force visions (post cognition pre cognition unreliable) detect minds, detect force
PP 23

Independent Powers
Immortality 10
Enhanced Trait Close combat 7 ALT Ranged Combat/Stealth/Acrobatics/Athletics 7
Immunity: aging, posion/disease
PP 24

BACKSTORY
Hmf. You wanna know my story. Why I left the order.
Well... It was a lot of things, mainly me and the council didn't see eye to eye on most things. I was willful, never followed orders the way they wanted me to. Always did what was right in the end, but they didn't like how I did it.

Anyway, as a baby I was tested for force potential and whisked off to the temple as soon as they saw I had it. Trained there, then at the right age I was apprenticed and made Jedi Knight. The final breaking point came when me and my partner were on a stupid, suicidal mission that in hindsight, really didn't mean much, they were sending us out to our deaths.

Well... My partner was torn apart in front of my eyes and I survived the mission needless to say. That was when I finally figured out how damned hard it was to make me stay dead. Anyway, during the mission, I somehow wound up in the backside of beyond, I mean seriously beyond the known regions. I won't go into how I made it back, that requires a lot of liquor, and I ain't paying this round.

Well... When I made it back, I discovered that the guy who had sent us on that idiotic mission was a Sith mole. No one believed me, thinking I was out of my mind. I proved it to them, but what it took doing... Well. It kinda soured me on the council for good, bunch of stuck up, close minded idiots they are and I left the order, made my own way.

Somehow or other I wound up here on this godsbeforsaken rock. I was flying my ship, and hit some sort of turbulance in hyperspace, thought for sure I had gone too close to a black hole or something and got myself killed. Instead, I found myself flying straight for the ground. I managed to pull up in time to keep from splatting myself and my ship all over the landscape, but I still crashed it pretty good. In any case, I've made my living here, and while it's a hell-hole, the folks aren't too bad and deserve some kind of protection. So nowadays, instead of a right good smuggler, I'm a right good merc. It pays the bills and keeps me fed. So. There you have it. My story in all it's sordid details.
kirinke
Cosmic Scion
Cosmic Scion

Location: Behind the mayo, to the left of the cheese, next to the mystery meat leftover from last week

Postby flynnarrel » Mon Oct 01, 2012 4:01 pm

Didn't want this thread to fall by the wayside.

Still recruiting.
flynnarrel
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby bi0philia » Mon Oct 01, 2012 4:41 pm

i'd be interested, but it'll be a day or two till i can get something together. when does recruiting close?
bi0philia
Heavyweight
Heavyweight

Postby kenmadragon » Mon Oct 01, 2012 4:43 pm

Ditto the question above. I have some ideas, but need time to commit them to paper/forum.
kenmadragon
Mastermind
Mastermind

Postby ironperenti » Sun Oct 07, 2012 6:30 am

My apologies if this had already been addressed but how are you handling mundane equipment such as radios, traveling gear, clothes, etc.? I have 4 equipment points left and I just want to direct them properly.

My humble submission follows:

Elijah - PL 8

Strength 2, Stamina 5, Agility 8, Dexterity 0, Fighting 11, Intellect 2, Awareness 8, Presence 0

Advantages
All-out Attack, Animal Empathy, Defensive Attack, Evasion, Hide in Plain Sight, Power Attack, Precise Attack (Ranged, Concealment), Precise Attack (Ranged, Cover), Ranged Attack 9, Tracking, Uncanny Dodge, Well-informed, Equipment 4

Skills
Acrobatics 2 (+10), Expertise: Nature 2 (+4), Investigation 6 (+8), Ranged Combat: Bows 2 (+2), Stealth 0 (+8), Technology 2 (+4), Treatment 2 (+4)

Equipment
Weapons Array 10
1) Bow and Arrow: ranged damage 5; 1 pt
2) Flare Arrow: Affliction 5 resisted by Fortitude; vision impaired, vision disabled, vision unaware; 1 pt
3) Knockout gas arrow: Burst area affliction 3 (resisted by Fortitude; Fatigued, Exhausted, Asleep) 1 pt
4) Net Arrow: Affliction 3 (Resisted by Dodge; Hindered and Vulnerable, Defenseless and Immobilized) 1 pt
5) Stun Arrow: Affliction 5 (Resisted by Fortitude; Dazed, Stunned, Incapacitated) 1 pt
6) Vibro-knife: Strength based damage 3, penetrating 3; 1 pt

Powers
Immortality: Immortality 1 (Return after 2 weeks)
Immunity: Immunity 1 (Aging)
Leaping: Leaping 1 (Leap 15 feet at 4 miles/hour)
Regeneration: Regeneration 5 (Every 2 rounds)
Speed: Speed 1 (Speed: 4 miles/hour, 60 feet/round)

Offense
Initiative +8
Grab, +11 (DC Spec 12)
Throw, +9 (DC 17)
Unarmed, +11 (DC 17)
Bow, +11, Dmg 5
Vibro Knife, +11, Dmg 5

Complications
Hatred: Initially trained by the Coalition as a tracker. While out on a lone mission he was taught to read and shown many of the truths the Coalition hide. He still returned to Coalition territory only to find his mother and father dead and sister in prison because the Coalition thought he had defected. He killed as many as he could that evening before escaping into the badlands.
Motivation: Thrills: Adrenaline junky. He loses himself in action and danger to avoid thinking of home.

Languages
Native Language

Defense
Dodge 11, Parry 11, Fortitude 8, Toughness 5, Will 8

Power Points
Abilities 72 + Powers 10 + Advantages 24 + Skills 8 (16 ranks) + Defenses 6 = 120
ironperenti
Bystander
Bystander

Postby Omega Girl » Sun Oct 07, 2012 12:06 pm

Hi everyone.

Work's been a bit crazy, so I haven't had much time to review new submissions.

I'm going to cut off recruiting on Monday and start reviewing everyone's builds. If you've already expressed interest but haven't had the chance, I'll still give you another day or two to put everything together and post it.

Thanks for your patience.
Omega Girl
Superhero
Superhero

Postby Omega Girl » Sun Oct 07, 2012 12:58 pm

flynnarrel wrote:Concept: Shifter-theif.

Good concept and nice complications. am a little wary about the ability to add "Perception" to any ranged attack, but it doesn't fee like a deal-breaker, considering the rest of the build seems balanced.

Spectrum wrote:Honesty Jones, "Laughs Twice"
Race: Trickster

Nice concept. I wouldn't mind seeing something tying him to the setting or why he'd be working with a team of freelancers.

Also, can you explain what you're aiming to get out of "subtle grapple"?

kirinke wrote:Hey, is there anyway for giving us more skill points per pp than the usual 2? They're probably the most expensive stuff to 'buy' for PL 8's.

Keeping the skill point costs the same.

Also, why would a jedi have 10 ranks in Immortality?

ironperenti wrote:My apologies if this had already been addressed but how are you handling mundane equipment such as radios, traveling gear, clothes, etc.? I have 4 equipment points left and I just want to direct them properly.

Gear that provides some kind of advantage, like a radio, or is a tool kit for using a skill (like a survival kit or mechanical kit) would cost EP. Something purely descriptive (like clothing) is free unless it provides some kind of mechanical advantage.

Also, how does a Coalition-trained scout gain the ability to come back from the dead?
Omega Girl
Superhero
Superhero

Postby kenmadragon » Sun Oct 07, 2012 1:02 pm

Glamdris Al'benin'oris

PL 8
+3 Attack/-3 Damage; +3 Dodge/-3 Toughness

Abilities: 34
STR 0
STA 2
AGL 4
DEX 2
FTG 4
INT 1
AWE 4
PRE 0

Skills: 25
Acrobatics 9 (+13)
Athletics 8 (+8)
Close Combat 7 (+11)
Expertise (arcana) 6 (+7)
Insight 4 (+8)
Perception 5 (+13)
Stealth 9 (+13)
Treatment 2 (+3)

Advantages: 16
Accurate Attack
Agile Feint
Ambidexterity
Animal Empathy
Defensive Attack
Equipment 3
Evasion
Hide in Plain Sight
Improved Disarm
Improved Initiative
Instant Up
Move by Action
Quick Draw
Ritualist
Tracking
Uncanny Dodge

Powers: 33
Elven Countenance 7p
-Senses 1 (dark vision)
-Immunity 2 (aging, sleep)
-Enhanced Skills (Perception 4)
-Immortality 1 [flaws: Limited(can die by lodestone)]
-Movement 1(Sure footed)
Blade Magic [flaws: Limited~half without weapons in hand] 8p
BE: Shield of Blades Deflect 10
AE: Wraith Steps Concealment 4 (all visual) [feats: Subtle 2]
AE: Flying Slashes Strike 5 [extras: Shapeable]
AE: Flash of Dawn Dazzle 10 (Will resist) [flaws: Reduced Range(Close)]
Seven League Boots Speed 5; Movement 3 (Trackless, Wall Walking 2) Enhanced Advantages(Improved Initiative, Instant Up) [flaws: Removable] 8p
Hand of the Magi Move Object 3 [feats: Subtle 2; flaws: Removable] 4p
Mithril Chain Protection 3 [flaws: Removable] 2p
Art of the Sword [feats: Innate; flaws: Limited-half without weapons in hand] 4p
BE: Multiattack 5
AE: Penetrating 5
AE: Homing 5

Equipment
Twin Swords Damage 10, 19-20 critical [feats: Split] 8ep
Dagger Damage 1, 19-20 critical 2ep
Silk Rope 1ep
Grappling Hook 2ep
Multitool 1ep
Survival Gear 1ep

Defenses: 11
Toughness 5
Dodge 11 (7p)
Parry 6 (2p)
Fortitude 4 (2p)
Will 4

Combat:
Attack +11 close, +2 ranged
Damage 0 unarmed, 1 dagger, 5 swords (2 attacks per round, 1 w/ each)
Initiative +8

Abilities 34 + Skills 25 + Advantages 16 + Powers 33 + Defenses 11 = 119 PP

Elves are immortal creatures, gifted by the gods with longevity and grace, masters of magic, and warriors of extraordinary caliber. Glamdris was once such an elf, a strange being to humans, who feared him for his skill with the sword and adeptness at magic. There was once a time when he lived in a large elven city of crystalline melded into massive trees, where the buildings seemed to have been made form the forest itself, hidden and protected, yet massive and beautiful, where the elves were peaceful and content. Glamdris was the son of an elven warrior, a duskblade of the elven court that resided within this city. Glamdris was raised to be like his father, a warrior in the elven sense of the word, who was skilled with the blade, and could use his masterfully created blades to dance upon the field of battle, swaying this way and that, swords singing through the air, slashing and piercing and whirling in a dance of blood and combat, a true art. Glamdris was a natural. He could swing and slash his way through any obstacles, and was considered to be a master of the blade at a very young age. Not only was Glamdris schooled in the art of the blade, but in the arts of magic as well, and was taught the art of blade magic, able to weave his magic through his weapons and use them to work magic into the steel. With both the mastery of the blades, and the use of magic in his dance of battle, Glamdris thought that he was ready for the outside world. Most elves rarely venture outside the forest, for it is their home, but wanderlust grips the mind of every young elf, and Glamdris was no exception. Yet unlike other elves who suppress that wanderlust to tend to other matters, Glamdris decided to act upon his thoughts, and set out into the world. He strapped on his grandfather's Seven League boots to carry him, and took his mother's amulet, a crystal gem on a finely wrought chain, in case he needed any telekinetic trickery, and set off for the world outside the forest.

Glamdris encountered your average country, granted that it was set in a swords and sorcery style world in the dark ages, and found that the humans made up the majority of the population. Monsters ran rampant everywhere though, so Glamdris was able to make a living as a monster hunter. He set himself up as a sell-sword, a mercenary, though he always made sure that the job was clean and just. He traveled from town to town, never really settling down, always curious about new things, looking for some excitement. He managed to keep himself out of trouble at times, though he wasn't always that lucky. He was on one of those usual jobs, teaming up with a bunch of other sell-swords, a few warriors, a healer, a magician, a roguish cut-throat, and an annoying bard, sent by a baron to evict a powerful, and evil, wizard from a tower so that the people could travel across the countryside without worry, when things went weird. It went as things usually went, with the wizard firing off spell after spell as Glamdris and the others were able to get by the spells and fight the wizard, when the wizard fled. Glamdris, his Seven League Boots allowing him to move faster than the wind, was on the wizard's heels in no time. Of course, he didn't count on the wizard leaping through a massive glowing archway filled with various swirling colors that radiated a rather obvious magical aura. Now, most adventurers like Glamdris know better than to just jump through strange magical archways, but Glamdris was curious, and wondered what was on the other side. He leaped through, and found himself in a strange world. It was a blasted wasteland, and things just felt...wrong. Nevertheless, Glamdris quickly located the mage. Before the evil wizard could react, Glamdris slew the wizard where he stood. Unfortunately, Glamdris did not count on the portal back to his world disappearing when the wizard died, and when Glamdris went back to where the portal was, he found that he was stuck in this desolate world. Cursing his lack of foresight, he decided to search for another portal back to his home. Hey, he was curious about this strange, devastated world, and he would need to explore this world to find a portal back anyways. Who knew, maybe this world would be interesting enough to satisfy his wanderlust.

Motivation:
~Looking For A Way Back Glamdris has ended up in this strange world, and is stuck here. And though there are many interesting things and places in this world, he still feels like a stranger to this world, and constantly seeks a way back.

Other Complications:
~Curiosity Glamdris is ever curious, and always wishes to learn more. Though this can sometimes get him in trouble, Glamdris sometimes finds that his curiosity always helps him enjoy his life and makes it much more interesting.

~Not From Around Here Not only is Glamdris an elf in a world filled with humans, but is actually not from this world. As such, he has those idiosyncrasies that others find strange and out-of-place. This sometimes leads to a lot of misunderstandings and awkward situations with many people as he does things 'wrong'.

~Wanderlust Glamdris is a great elf, nice and kind, and also a loyal friend, but he just can't stick around all the time. For some reason, he is plagued by this wanderlust that he can't seem to satisfy. He feels like he can't stay in one place for too much time, and has to keep moving. However, after seeing the state of this world, he feels that if he wanders this world in search of a portal back home, and upon doing so, his wanderlust would be sated. At least, that's what he hopes.
Last edited by kenmadragon on Wed Oct 10, 2012 8:35 pm, edited 16 times in total.
kenmadragon
Mastermind
Mastermind

Postby Spectrum » Sun Oct 07, 2012 2:17 pm

Honesty got accepted into the Deadlands game, so might need to be withdraw.

The subtle on the grappling represents something similar to drunken style kungfu, not looking like he's actually in combat.
Spectrum
Titan
Titan

Postby kirinke » Sun Oct 07, 2012 2:28 pm

Omega Girl wrote:Also, why would a jedi have 10 ranks in Immortality?

One of her parents was an unknown alien (that looked human) with immortality. She inherited that from the alien parent.
kirinke
Cosmic Scion
Cosmic Scion

Location: Behind the mayo, to the left of the cheese, next to the mystery meat leftover from last week

Postby Ryan M. Danks » Sun Oct 07, 2012 2:46 pm

Just found this. I'd be interested in building a mecha pilot character. Maybe with a transforming ship...or maybe IS a transformer! (sounds really cool!)

Has something similar to that been done? Is there time? Can I play a transformer? :D
Ryan M. Danks
Firebrand
Firebrand

Postby ironperenti » Sun Oct 07, 2012 6:34 pm

To Omega Girl: D-bees and mutants abound. However, if you were born human, look human, and were raised human you would not even know something was different. At this point it is kind of like unbreakable. Other than the fact that he heals faster than normal and he is an excellent athlete, he is unaware of the age immunity or the immortality. The immortality is tagged mostly to his regeneration. Therefore if he were incinerated then there is nothing to grow back and hence dead.
ironperenti
Bystander
Bystander

Postby kenmadragon » Sun Oct 07, 2012 6:54 pm

I believe that I am just about done with my app. I have about 5 points left to spend, and am wondering what to spend them on. Any ideas?
kenmadragon
Mastermind
Mastermind

Postby flynnarrel » Sun Oct 07, 2012 7:21 pm

group mount or vehicle? base of operations?
flynnarrel
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby kenmadragon » Sun Oct 07, 2012 7:41 pm

Well, Glamdris is a wanderer from another world. He is also plagued by wanderlust, so base of operations is out. He has the seven league boots do he doesn't need a vehicle. That and a minion would be too much of a hassle, and I would have to work it into the background. I'm looking for improvements to the build or anything I might be missing.
kenmadragon
Mastermind
Mastermind

PreviousNext

Return to M&M Game Room