Mutants & Masterminds
HQ    ABOUT M&M    SUPER-VISION    GIMMICK'S GADGETS    M&M SUPERLINK    ATOMIC THINK TANK    M&M SHOP
Saving the world, one d20 roll at a time

3E Time of Crisis OOC

This forum is the place for Mutants & Masterminds Play-By-Post games. Please read the M&M Game Room rules before starting or joining a game. Enjoy!

Re: 3E Time of Crisis Recruiting closed

Postby Zen_Gypsy » Fri Sep 28, 2012 5:30 pm

An updated build.

Legacy

Realized a few things, while Assessment & Favored Foe was neat (And I looked at it as being only a single opponent at a time), it was not a defining ability, so dropped it. Since I was unable to make targettable mental powers work RAW, I went with Extraordinary effort to kick up the DC by two on my mental array. And since the array, other than the communication, was all attack abilities, I changed the slots from Dynamic. Removed the the Limitation on my Precognitive Reactions, and otherwise trimmed points.

While not opposed to starting as a team, I do like the idea of a few people knowing a few others. I'm down with knowing Polymath, based on the twinned psyche, Kaldor would find that fascinating! And seeing as the Grue invasion which catapulted Legacy into the 37th century, on his return, I am sure he would seek out others touched by that event, such as Rescue. If baixiwei & Omega are ok with that.

Thanks for the invite to your game Arthur, and looking forward to running it with my new crew.
"If sacred spaces are spared the ravages of war -- make all places sacred. And if the holy people are to be kept harmless from war -- make all peoples holy." -- Norrin Radd (Silver Surfer: Requiem; J. Michael Straczynski)
Zen_Gypsy
Heavyweight
Heavyweight

Postby Ysariel » Sat Sep 29, 2012 5:08 am

Warp would probably know Polymath. She's not much of a tech girl, but Digital Kid was the mastermind of the group, and he favored stuff like stem cell research theft and laser blaster smuggling. Warp might have heard of his research (it sounds like the sort of thing DK would love to have for himself :)) and if baixiwei doesn't mind I'm going to say they've fought each other before, probably over her trying to rob the same corporation Polymath was trying to dig up dirt on.

They have hit defense contractors related to the military before so Rescue or Fletch may have known them through any contacts they had. Other than that, if any of your characters have been active in Freedom City for the past year or so they may have encountered Warp and her gang.
My stuff • I GM Emerald City Knights, Adventures Assemble! (with kenseido)
Ysariel
Paragon
Paragon

Postby badpenny » Sat Sep 29, 2012 6:04 am

I'm going to say that with Fire KIn's nature, she'd be in FC either to meet an old colleague or is simply passing through at the beginning of the adventure--IOW, a coincidence.
badpenny
Overlord
Overlord

Postby Bladewind » Sat Sep 29, 2012 7:12 pm

Arthur Eld wrote:Gladius has a few problems-undercapped on defense, more ranks of impervious than toughness, burst area rank 12 effect.

Most of it's an easy fix. I say raise Stamina to 8, give him protection 3, impervious 11, and fix the burst area. I'm assuming the shield others is a deflect effect, or maybe affects others protection. Like I said, easy.

Fixed.

I actually left the Stamina and Protection as is. I did fix the Impervious and the Shockwave. (I also had to fix other things in the Tactile TK array to make them fit as AP of the Strength Score.)

Pasting the revised character into my former post now.
Bladewind
Overlord
Overlord

Postby baixiwei » Sun Sep 30, 2012 9:32 am

Zen_Gypsy wrote:While not opposed to starting as a team, I do like the idea of a few people knowing a few others. I'm down with knowing Polymath, based on the twinned psyche, Kaldor would find that fascinating!

Sounds good. Maybe we have done some mission before? How about we cooperated to take down a religious cult which spread through transmission of a psychic virus?

I guess we are probably accustomed to communicating mentally rather than by speaking given that we both have mind-reading. Maybe we sometimes even forget to speak out loud in consideration for other people in the room?

Ysariel wrote:Warp would probably know Polymath. She's not much of a tech girl, but Digital Kid was the mastermind of the group, and he favored stuff like stem cell research theft and laser blaster smuggling. Warp might have heard of his research (it sounds like the sort of thing DK would love to have for himself :)) and if baixiwei doesn't mind I'm going to say they've fought each other before, probably over her trying to rob the same corporation Polymath was trying to dig up dirt on.

That sounds good. Warp's only just now sort of turned light side, right? So Polymath would only know her as an enemy so far, though perhaps more in the Batman-Catwoman sense where we aren't *that* serious about fighting each other?
Baixiwei's Character Builds and Conversions

If only you could see what I've seen with your eyes.
baixiwei
Overlord
Overlord

Postby Ysariel » Mon Oct 01, 2012 9:08 am

baixiwei wrote:That sounds good. Warp's only just now sort of turned light side, right? So Polymath would only know her as an enemy so far, though perhaps more in the Batman-Catwoman sense where we aren't *that* serious about fighting each other?

I don't know Batman or Catwoman well enough to get that one... but yes, while she wouldn't be friendly at first, she wouldn't be that serious about fighting you either. :)
Ysariel
Paragon
Paragon

Postby Omega Girl » Mon Oct 01, 2012 11:15 am

I've updated Rescue's build a bit,pushing her more in the direction of Captain Marvel to help differentiate her from Gladius a bit more. The original concept I had for the character was "Ms. Marvel plus the Night Nurse", so some more refinement never hurts.

As for contacts, being a veteran and a super mean's she probably knows Fletch and has worked with him once or twice for those sorts of jobs AEGIS prefers non-civilians on. Otherwise, she's a bit of a public figure in Freedom City, though less so than any Freedom league member. Any heroes FC heroes on the wrong end of a beatdown have met her at least once, though they might not know her by name. Anyone who takes a beating regularly, or who causes a lot of collateral damage, she's aware of.
Omega Girl
Superhero
Superhero

Postby Arthur Eld » Mon Oct 01, 2012 12:31 pm

Alrighty, lets say another day or two for everyone to finalize things, and then we'll get started. I really like the various ways you're all coming up for your characters to know each other, that's really cool.

But don't feel pressured if you want your character to start out as a loner or an outsider, though.
Arthur Eld
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Ysariel » Mon Oct 01, 2012 12:36 pm

Arthur Eld, do you think you'll let me drop 1 toughness and play Warp as a PL 9.5? Her main attack is already 1 effect rank below caps.

I kind of like the idea of playing the versatile but less powerful character.
Ysariel
Paragon
Paragon

Postby Arthur Eld » Mon Oct 01, 2012 12:56 pm

Well, maybe. But first, I should point out that the ranks of your teleport, while they do have an impact on how much damage you can get with your teleport attack, its one of those things that isn't really capped by the damage they take. Its capped by the DC to resist being teleported.

This is why you can have a teleport who teleports people into the sun at a PL like 10 or so. Obviously, subjecting somone to the damages of the sun is way above something most PL 10s could withstand (and many other high level characters unless they have specialized Immunities). However, if I have Dimensional Movement 3, Dodge DC 20, with +10 to hit, I can send someone to pretty much any dimension-including Hell, or where Lovecraftian elder gods live, or a world of evil butterflies.

As much as I'm for playing creatively and relying on versatility over raw power, this adventure is fairly combat heavy, and against some powerful foes. It might be a good idea to hit your caps in at least defense or offense. However, Warp does meet her offensive caps (+12 to hit for teleport attack, DC 18 Dodge). Plus, while teleporting someone straight up 120 feet can do rank 8 damage, suppose you're in a plane or something-you teleport someone sideways out of the plane and they start falling, so they will then take DC 31 damage-max falling damage is 16, and it tops out around 1,800 feet (way below what most planes fly at).

However, if you're just looking to drop points on defense so you have more points to spend elsewhere, you can probably get them in other ways.
Arthur Eld
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Ysariel » Tue Oct 02, 2012 4:13 am

I'll stick with your advice and keep the defenses at PL. That said, I would love to know where you think I could save points. Outside of merging both her arrays (which I really don't want to do for a variety of reasons) I really can't come up with anything. :)

I made some last-minute changes. Warp now has Fighting 4 and Presence 2, and her spatial awareness is a standalone power again. I also added a rank of accurate to her teleport-punch thing to bring it up to PL and renamed some attacks to try and make them all short one-word names.
Ysariel
Paragon
Paragon

Postby Zen_Gypsy » Tue Oct 02, 2012 5:37 am

Sounds good. Maybe we have done some mission before? How about we cooperated to take down a religious cult which spread through transmission of a psychic virus?

With the majority of the cult being innocent victims, infected by a psychic virus from their cult leader, some sort of grue-human hybrid survivor from a recent invasion. During the final confrontation, the cult leader infected a two city block radius of the population with a primal compulsion towards violence. Subduing the cult leader, and the mass rioting brought out Rescuer to assist in bringing down the rioters without physical or lasting psychological trauma.

I guess we are probably accustomed to communicating mentally rather than by speaking given that we both have mind-reading. Maybe we sometimes even forget to speak out loud in consideration for other people in the room?

I feel that, even though his communication is in an array, Kaldor prefers using Psionic Contact to spoken language. A spoken word cannot convey the shared experiences of the human condition as effectively as a direct telepathic connection.

Yup, yup, this sounds awesome. Can't wait!
"If sacred spaces are spared the ravages of war -- make all places sacred. And if the holy people are to be kept harmless from war -- make all peoples holy." -- Norrin Radd (Silver Surfer: Requiem; J. Michael Straczynski)
Zen_Gypsy
Heavyweight
Heavyweight

Postby Bladewind » Tue Oct 02, 2012 6:11 am

For Gladius, he`s a student at Claremont and just coming into his own as a hero. He has a lot of potential and is seen as Centurion`s legacy. In stark contrast to the Superboy that came out of Reign of the Supermen in 90s, Gladius has no desire to claim the title or mantle of Centurion.

Having said that, from what I see he is the youngest member of the group and I`d welcome any thoughts of any who have met him before. It`s entirely possible to have crossed paths with him alongside of the Alterniteens as they are the people he identifies most with given that they are extradimensional...
Bladewind
Overlord
Overlord

Postby Arthur Eld » Tue Oct 02, 2012 8:27 am

Ysariel wrote:I'll stick with your advice and keep the defenses at PL. That said, I would love to know where you think I could save points. Outside of merging both her arrays (which I really don't want to do for a variety of reasons) I really can't come up with anything. :)

I made some last-minute changes. Warp now has Fighting 4 and Presence 2, and her spatial awareness is a standalone power again. I also added a rank of accurate to her teleport-punch thing to bring it up to PL and renamed some attacks to try and make them all short one-word names.

Well, you could put a Quirk on her Enhanced Defenses-only against targets that have lower initiative than Warp.

And if you don't want to merge her arrays for design puproses, I could see that. However, I feel at least some of the powers complement each other descriptively. So you could possibly make your Speed a Dynamic AE of your base Teleport. That way you could use both in the same round for things like, if there's a building with a roof 200 feet up, Warp could Jaunt up there with 3 ranks of Teleport and then use all 10 ranks of Speed to explore the roof. That would save you like 8 points right there.

Of course, making your Speed a DAE of your Teleport array also means you could get a lot more ranks of Speed-up to 22 (2 ranks more then the Flash), which I probably wouldn't allow. But its food for thought.

Also, Turnabout and Move-by Action are basically the same thing, except Move-by Action is better. So you could drop Turnabout from your Teleport power.

However, looking at Blink if you add Accurate it breaks caps (because it would give you a total +14) to hit, unless I'm reading the power wrong and you took Alternate Resistance (Dodge) as a flat +0 Extra. Which I would have to give some lot, but I might allow it. If so, then Blink and Jaunt would be cheap enough that you could add Accurate to their array slots and drop some of your Skill ranks with them, saving you points.

None of this is stuff you have to do, though (except fix Blink-as is, it s costing 23 points by my math, barring what I mentioned earlier, plus Accurate breaks caps), just suggestions on how to get more points, if that's want you want.
Arthur Eld
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Ysariel » Tue Oct 02, 2012 3:21 pm

Wow! That's a lot of food for thought, but I don't want to hold up the story with my tinkering. If you'll allow it, I might fiddle with her powers again when we get more pp. For now I'll just fix her blink and see how she plays out.

It's now Blast 5 [STR-based] (Accurate 1, Alternate Resistance: Dodge 6, Indirect 2) which, with her +12 attack bonus, should give +14 attack and 21 save DC and cost 19pp.
Ysariel
Paragon
Paragon

PreviousNext

Return to M&M Game Room