Mutants & Masterminds
HQ    ABOUT M&M    SUPER-VISION    GIMMICK'S GADGETS    M&M SUPERLINK    ATOMIC THINK TANK    M&M SHOP
Saving the world, one d20 roll at a time

Legacy of Doctor Deathstroke: Issue 1 Vangaurd IC

This forum is the place for Mutants & Masterminds Play-By-Post games. Please read the M&M Game Room rules before starting or joining a game. Enjoy!

Re: Legacy of Doctor Deathstroke: Issue 1 Vangaurd IC

Postby Mark Reuter » Fri Oct 12, 2012 7:08 pm

Lady Freedom
HP: 0
Condition: Going for broke

Sarah crosses her arms across her chest. "Well, now that you mention it, we could use a 5' x 5' fireproof airtight container that can hold an insubstantial ball of elemental fire. If you have one of those, you're more than welcome to be here. If not, I am afraid that I am going to have to ask you to step back to the police perimeter that you managed to get through."
Mark Reuter
Overlord
Overlord

Postby Spectrum » Fri Oct 12, 2012 7:11 pm

Ran

Ran speaks up softly but confidently, "There is a bag in my closet in the bungalo.." she turns and looks more fully towards Sterling, actually Looking back towards him and considering. She reaches up, folding her big hand around her hammer necklace. Was it just glowing? She dare not make the assumption that the man would follow the same Old Ways.
Spectrum
Titan
Titan

Postby Ophion » Fri Oct 12, 2012 9:49 pm

Machine Girl

Lee listened while Ran spoke (and completely disregarded both her 'stormy' look and her sheepish one) with a look of incredulousness on her face. "Ran, kiddo", she said in a tone of voice that fell somewhere between scolding and understanding, "if you really want to save its life, then you'd better get fast about it! Because if you 'know something' - and you aren't sharing it - then if that thing is alive and if we do end having to kill it, it won't be anybody's fault but your own..."

Machine Girl chose not to address the Scandinavian beauty's implications that the team was rushing to kill a 'sentient lifeform' because it was a 'monster like all of us' or because they couldn't understand it. Lee had spent her entire life - a far longer span of time than just about anyone else's she might add - as a metahuman and it was simply a part of who she was. When she did think of herself in defining terms (which, admittedly, wasn't all that often) she mostly just thought of herself as a failure, but in those moments when she managed to get over her self-loathing and survivor's guilt long enough to have a realistic opinion about things she thought of herself as a woman first and as someone with a responsibility to help those around her second. That she was also a metahuman only really factored into her equations as a distant third when she was considering career opportunities.

So Lee was not slow to pick up on the fact that Ran had all but declared herself, along with the other members of the Vanguard, to be monsters. Oh sure, Machine Girl recognized that wasn't actually what Ran had been trying to say, but it was certainly what had come out, and it had to have come from somewhere. It also went a long way towards explaining the young woman's assertion - which had sounded like the height of naivety in Lee's ears - that killing a monster should always be a 'last resort': it had simply been her survival instinct kicking in. But, Lee knew, she'd have to learn sooner or later that 'slaying monsters' was her job now, and was what heroes did - what they'd always done since the dawn of time itself.

But she'd have to figure it out some other time, because right now Lee had other things on her mind. Like tweeny-bopper brats with strange names and Armani suits who liked to barge uninvited into the middle of what was either a fresh crime scene or the site of an ongoing emergency (Lee still hadn't made up her mind on that point).

She was about to back up Lady Freedom - with whom she agreed entirely for once - and tell the Sterling kid to either start coughing up any goods he had or get the hell out of their business, when Ran suddenly spoke up again. "There is a bag in my closet in the bungalo...", she said mysteriously, and then turned to give the Sterling kid a look of... well, of something.

For her part, Machine Girl also turned to regard Sterling, then turned to regard Ran again, then back to Sterling, and finally back to Ran yet again. "Holy Christ, I need a drink", she muttered under her breath while massaging the bridge of her pretty nose between the rusted-metal tips of her cybernetic thumb and index finger. She used the same index finger to point at Sterling a moment later as she returned her gaze - now more of a glare, really - his way and said, "You - Sterling - I don't know who the hell you are and I don't care. If you've got something like what Lady Freedom just asked you for then, please, go get it. Otherwise, get lost."

That done, Lee turned her glare on Ran (along with the index finger), and blurted, "As for you: what the #@&$ are you going on about?! 'There's a bag in your bungalow'?! You've got a bag?! Is it a Fendi? Or could it be Dolce and Gabbana?! I simply must know!" Lee's expression most certainly qualified as a 'glare' now, with a fair amount of dumbfounded exasperation mixed in, and she while she wasn't exactly shouting at Ran she was definitely chewing her out.

"I asked you directly if you had something that would help us deal with Sparky the Living Campfire over there half-a-sodding hour ago! If you've got something you think will help then #@&$ing-well get it here, Ran!" Lee continued to glare up at the taller blonde woman for another moment, and then planted one metal hand on her hip and ran the fingers of the other through her hair as she looked away from Ran in frustration. Her gaze shifted in irritated jerks first one way and then the other as she glanced at everyone and no one in particular. "Jesus, Mary, Joseph, and the bleeding donkey", she growled under her breath, "you'd think we were on a school field trip or something..."
Ophion
Comrade
Comrade

Postby cobalt-blue » Sat Oct 13, 2012 5:10 am

Sterling pulled out his cell phone and hit a button. Quickly giving orders into it, he said, "McMasters, we need a fireproof container...," pausing a second he looked over at Lady Freedom and continued, "Five foot by foot?" There was a brief pause, "At the museum. The Vanguard wants to contain something very hot." Again a pause, "They need it yesterday!" Another pause. "That will do. Good." He turned to Lady Freedom and said, "My people are sending over a polyceramic container we used for testing the heat shields on our space plane design."
cobalt-blue
Superhero
Superhero

Postby timothy » Sat Oct 13, 2012 5:56 am

Cerulean
HP - 0
Condition - trying to be helpful...

The blue man, his form obviously returned to solidity, flies from the Kestrel. He has several sheets of paper in his right hand.

As he nears the rest of the team, he begins speaking.

"There are two labs on campus that should have containers that meet our needs. One does work with high pressure molecular chemistry and the other is the high energy physics lab. If we contact them immediately we can have something here..."

He suddenly notices the be-suited young man and hears the end of the conversation.

"Or we could just let his 'people' get it for us.

"Sorry, I must have missed something."

He smiles at the new-comer.

"I'm Cerulean, by the way."
Last edited by timothy on Sun Oct 14, 2012 6:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Here comes the Dog!
Stong and brave!
Here comes the Dog!
The day he will save!
timothy
Zealot
Zealot

Postby cobalt-blue » Sat Oct 13, 2012 6:12 am

The young man smiled and nodded, his azure eyes seeming to gleam in pleasure at meeting Cerulean and said, "I'm Taniel Sterling. It's a pleasure to meet the city's guardians. Whatever resources my company has are at your disposal."
cobalt-blue
Superhero
Superhero

Postby Spectrum » Sat Oct 13, 2012 8:19 am

Ran

Ran frowned in concentration and turned her full attention towards the fire elemental, bringing down all of her energies to bring forth not just water, but the pure Water of the elemental planes, determined that the beast would be put down and washed away as if it never existed..

Broken into two parts for better flow and timing.
Last edited by Spectrum on Sun Oct 14, 2012 1:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Spectrum
Titan
Titan

Postby cobalt-blue » Sat Oct 13, 2012 12:17 pm

The Nordic beauty reached deep inside herself to try to generate "the right kind of water". She struggled with the concept as she concentrated to reach the level of "elemental" water. Digging deeper and deeper she tried to touch the elemental plane of water as she drew on her own inner reserves. As her sight began to fade, she felt something touch her mind. An old man with one eye appeared in her mind, singing a single word: Laguz. An image of a rune burned into her being as suddenly something inside her "clicked".

A surge of energy seemed to pour through tall woman as she sang in a deep melodious voice, with far more of a bass range than normal "Laaaaguuuuzzzz." Suddenly there was a huge ball of steam erupting where the fire was burning away her water. In a flash of hot white vapor the flame disappeared, and the water jet cut a neat hole through the wall." Ran staggered back as the stream of water ended, barely catching herself against the wall of the museum.

Behind the team, Sterling reached for his phone, dialed a number and said, "Never mind about the box."
cobalt-blue
Superhero
Superhero

Postby timothy » Sat Oct 13, 2012 1:50 pm

Cerulean
HP - 0
Condition -concerned

Cerulean turns as Ran acts, his attention caught be the strange, strained word she sings out. Seeing her collapsing, he flies to her side.

Covering the distance in a blink, he wraps an arm around her shoulders to help support her.

His voice is very soft, "That was very brave, but you shouldn't take such risks when they are unnecessary."

His skin is cool to the touch, almost stone-like, and his touch causes a strange tingling that raises goosebumps and stands hairs on end.
Last edited by timothy on Sun Oct 14, 2012 6:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Here comes the Dog!
Stong and brave!
Here comes the Dog!
The day he will save!
timothy
Zealot
Zealot

Postby Spectrum » Sun Oct 14, 2012 12:48 pm

Ran
HP: 5 L: 2
Condition: On her way to the land of Nod (fatigued)

Ran reached out with all of her power, reaching in deep.. "Laguuuuuuuuuz.." and began to fall over.

As she falls away, a curious smile is upon her face, somewhere between absolute shock and rapture.. not that they're necessarily all that far apart. The face of a small child utterly proving that Santa Claus exists..

The last words words as she falls away into a deep slumber, "Thank you Big Blue.." her eyes dropping away..

Amazing the snoring sound that such a big woman can make.
Spectrum
Titan
Titan

Postby timothy » Sun Oct 14, 2012 2:25 pm

Cerulean
HP - 4
Condition - concerned

He catches Ran as she fades into unconsciousness, quickly slipping an arm beneath her knees. Despite her size, he holds her as easily and gently as he would hold a baby.

Turning from the group, he flies her to one of the ambulances.

"My friend is in need of your assistance. Please do what you can for her."

He stands silently in the air, watching as the EMT crew moves to assist the brobdingnagian beauty.
Here comes the Dog!
Stong and brave!
Here comes the Dog!
The day he will save!
timothy
Zealot
Zealot

Postby cobalt-blue » Sun Oct 14, 2012 6:58 pm

One of the EMTs- the male- just stared at Cerulean. The other, the female jabbed him in ribs and the two sprang into action to give the Nordic beauty first aid. They went to immediate work taking her vitals. The woman looked at Cerulean and asked, "What happened to her?"

In the meantime, Sterling looked toward Lady Fredom and asked, "Exactly what happened? What was that thing?"
cobalt-blue
Superhero
Superhero

Postby Zen_Gypsy » Sun Oct 14, 2012 7:55 pm

Redline
Hero Points: Four.
Condition: Fatigued ... anyone hungry cuz I brou ... RAN!

"I am certain that a chemistry or physics laboratory would have an air-tight container capable of resisting the flame's heat long enough to suffocate it. Redline could locate one and have it here in moments."

A flash of red and gold Redline comes screaming back to the scene, coming to a sudden stop at the charred hole where the fire was. Quentin looks around and is all of a sudden very conscious of the now empty milkshake and four bags of take out he is hiding behind his back.

"So, I've been all over this campus looking for a vacuum sealed fire proof canister and ... it must have taken FOREVER!" Redline quickly looks around, smiling sheepishly. "Well, more like three seconds ... before I realized I had no idea what I was looking for. Not a science major! And then my cell rang, Bay City Burgers had my order and since I figured orbit has GOT to be tiring ...

All of a sudden he realizes the flame is gone, or extinguished, or in orbit ... maybe? What he does realize is that Cerulean is standing beside an ambulance that has a whole lot of shapely leg extending from the rear of gurney. A blur, his armful of takeout momentarily forgotten. "Hey Blue? What happened? Is she going to be all right? What can I do? First aid? CPR? Umm, boil water?" His concern obvious as his questions are fired out at machine gun speed.
"If sacred spaces are spared the ravages of war -- make all places sacred. And if the holy people are to be kept harmless from war -- make all peoples holy." -- Norrin Radd (Silver Surfer: Requiem; J. Michael Straczynski)
Zen_Gypsy
Heavyweight
Heavyweight

Postby EnigmaticOne » Mon Oct 15, 2012 3:57 pm

Bass
HP: 3

"I don't know what Ran did, but it worked." Bass looked concerned though. "Hope she recovers quickly."
Impeach the peach!

EnigmaticOne
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Spectrum » Wed Oct 17, 2012 3:05 pm

Your faith was strong but you needed proof
You saw her bathing on the roof
Her beauty in the moonlight overthrew you

Ran
Hp 5 L 2
Condition: Sleeping peacefully

Ran is a big girl, a really big girl. Her arms and legs having a hard time staying on the bed. Its a bit like the tale of Procrustes, hopefully without the messier parts. Still, she looks comfortable, serene even. its the sleep of someone that has done a good hard job rather than the fitful unconsciousness of trauma.

The day has been eventful for all of the heroes, meeting their new teammates and their first encounter. They hadn't done perfectly, far from it, but they were starting to come together as band mates and maybe that was the most important part. Kids were saved, fewer bad guys on the streets and hopefully coming to learn something from it.
Spectrum
Titan
Titan

PreviousNext

Return to M&M Game Room