Mutants & Masterminds
HQ    ABOUT M&M    SUPER-VISION    GIMMICK'S GADGETS    M&M SUPERLINK    ATOMIC THINK TANK    M&M SHOP
Saving the world, one d20 roll at a time

Legacy of Doctor Deathstroke: Issue 1 Vangaurd OOC

This forum is the place for Mutants & Masterminds Play-By-Post games. Please read the M&M Game Room rules before starting or joining a game. Enjoy!

Moderators: The Mod Squad, The Justice League

Re: Legacy of Doctor Deathstroke: Issue 1 Vangaurd OOC

Postby Zen_Gypsy » Thu Sep 27, 2012 3:04 am

Would it be possible to spend a Hero Point and use my speed (Currently Flight 11; Descriptor Hyper-Velocity) against Pacers speed, in an attempt to counter his attack, basically making it a speed vs speed thing, even taken off guard (But not surprised due to Uncanny Dodge), my hyper fast reactions blocking his incoming flurry of blows? As per the Counter rules? Or even throwing a clashing punch for every punch he is trying to land which could be even cooler visually!

You can spend a hero point to attempt to counter another power as a reaction, without the need to ready an action to do so.

If an opponent attempts to use a power you are able to counter, use your countering effect as your readied action. You and the opposing character make effect checks (d20 + rank). If you win, your two powers cancel each other out and there is no effect from either. If the opposing character wins, your attempt to counter is unsuccessful. The opposing effect works normally.
"If sacred spaces are spared the ravages of war -- make all places sacred. And if the holy people are to be kept harmless from war -- make all peoples holy." -- Norrin Radd (Silver Surfer: Requiem; J. Michael Straczynski)
Zen_Gypsy
Heavyweight
Heavyweight

Postby cobalt-blue » Thu Sep 27, 2012 3:19 am

Do you HAVE a hero point?
cobalt-blue
Superhero
Superhero

Postby Zen_Gypsy » Thu Sep 27, 2012 3:24 am

I still have one, I didn't counter the effects of my first turn heroic effort, and therefore at reduced Speed, Flight 11 rather than Flight 12.

Pffft! Power Attack last round duh! Good call Cobalt!

Imma get pasted by a DC 29 attack! (As an FYI was his attack a multi-attack that just hit really well, or is it really an effect 14 attack? Slam maybe?)
"If sacred spaces are spared the ravages of war -- make all places sacred. And if the holy people are to be kept harmless from war -- make all peoples holy." -- Norrin Radd (Silver Surfer: Requiem; J. Michael Straczynski)
Zen_Gypsy
Heavyweight
Heavyweight

Postby Mark Reuter » Thu Sep 27, 2012 11:16 am

How does interpose work in 3e? I know it is a reaction that can be used once a round, but does it take the place of a normal action or does the character still get an action on his/her initiative? Anyway, I'd like for Lady Freedom to try and interpose between Redline and Pacer.
Mark Reuter
Overlord
Overlord

Postby Zen_Gypsy » Thu Sep 27, 2012 12:57 pm

Thanks Mark! But man is this highlighting the difference between shifted characters ... with three team mates hitting plus/minus five shifts, it means Redline can't reasonably expect to go toe to toe with any more than 40% of baddies, so I will have to spend some XP to shore stuff up.

I think my first purchases will be: Favored Environment: High Speed, Luck & Defensive Attack. Then Power Attack for Slams, and just use the distance I can put between me and the baddies as a buffer.

As an FYI, I will delay my description of Redline's Toughness check in case it is ruled whether Freedom can interpose or not, just to avoid confusion.
Zen_Gypsy
Heavyweight
Heavyweight

Postby Ophion » Thu Sep 27, 2012 10:06 pm

Interpose happens as a Reaction, which means that it takes even less time than a Free action and does not tie up any of your Move or Standard actions. It does move you to an area adjacent to whoever you're using Interpose for however, so it may (or may not, depending on the PC) use up all of the ground your PC can cover in a round or otherwise limit the sorts of actions or attacks you can take thereafter.
Ophion
Comrade
Comrade

Postby Ophion » Thu Sep 27, 2012 10:37 pm

Hey cobalt-blue, do we know if Rage is caught in Machine Girl's grab attempt and, if so, to what degree? If he's Vulnerable his Defenses are halved, while if he's Defenseless then anyone attacking him has the option of using the Finishing Move maneuver.

Also, if anyone's wondering how I'm managing to post right now; my flight out of the Third World seems to be experiencing the same problems as my flight in did.... :roll: So for now I'm stuck sitting in Tulear, Madagascar at our hotel, using its bad wifi connection and swatting at all the flies. Hopefully I'll be able to begin my travels back to America some time this evening, but that's still up in the air at this point.
Ophion
Comrade
Comrade

Postby Mark Reuter » Thu Sep 27, 2012 11:35 pm

Thanks, Ophion! One interpose coming up.
Mark Reuter
Overlord
Overlord

Postby cobalt-blue » Fri Sep 28, 2012 2:21 am

Yes, he is currently captured by Machine Girl's hold.
cobalt-blue
Superhero
Superhero

Postby timothy » Fri Sep 28, 2012 4:29 am

Is Rage defenseless or vulnerable? Need to know for Cerulean's action.
Here comes the Dog!
Stong and brave!
Here comes the Dog!
The day he will save!
timothy
Zealot
Zealot

Postby Mark Reuter » Fri Sep 28, 2012 8:56 am

Does Ultimate Effort work differently in 3e? I thought if you spent a hero point, it gave you a result of 20 on your die roll without the need for rolling.
Mark Reuter
Overlord
Overlord

Postby Ophion » Fri Sep 28, 2012 10:03 am

I think he may be questioning whether you have an HP to spend. Lady Freedom used extra effort early in the fight and you declared your intention to use your HP to remove her Fatigued condition. You haven't been listing her Condition as Fatigued - or otherwise treating her as if she's Fatigued - since then so he may simply be wondering where the second HP is coming from. ;)

Other than that though your understanding of how Ultimate Effort works is correct: spending an HP gives you an automatic 20 on your related Save.
Ophion
Comrade
Comrade

Postby Mark Reuter » Fri Sep 28, 2012 11:01 am

Technically, she doesn't become fatigued until her initiative, which hasn't occurred yet. So since she isn't technically fatigued yet, she hasn't spent the HP yet, leaving it available for the use of Ultimate Effort: Toughness. Now, if she expends the HP, she can treat her save as if she had rolled a 20.
Mark Reuter
Overlord
Overlord

Postby Spectrum » Fri Sep 28, 2012 1:09 pm

Probably just beating a dead horse..

Hero Handbook p. 86 wrote:INTERPOSE GENERAL
Once per round, when an ally within range of your normal movement is hit by an attack, you can choose to place yourself between the attacker and your ally as a reaction, making you the target of the attack instead. The attack hits you rather than your ally, and you suffer the effects normally. You cannot use this advantage against area effects or perception range attacks, only those requiring an attack check.
Spectrum
Titan
Titan

Postby cobalt-blue » Sat Sep 29, 2012 3:38 am

Mark Reuter wrote:Technically, she doesn't become fatigued until her initiative, which hasn't occurred yet. So since she isn't technically fatigued yet, she hasn't spent the HP yet, leaving it available for the use of Ultimate Effort: Toughness. Now, if she expends the HP, she can treat her save as if she had rolled a 20.

But did you have the extra HP to spend was my question.

Sorry for the delay. Slowly getting back to feeling normal.
cobalt-blue
Superhero
Superhero

PreviousNext

Return to M&M Game Room