Deadlands OOC

This forum is the place for Mutants & Masterminds Play-By-Post games. Please read the M&M Game Room rules before starting or joining a game. Enjoy!
kirinke
Cosmic Scion
Cosmic Scion
Location: Behind the mayo, to the left of the cheese, next to the mystery meat leftover from last week

Re: Deadlands style game now recruiting 3e

Post by kirinke » Sun Sep 16, 2012 6:35 pm

Is there anyway to clean up Cass' build some? I'd appreciate some input.

timothy
Zealot
Zealot

Post by timothy » Sun Sep 16, 2012 6:56 pm

As long as you're asking.

She's only hitting pl6.5 on offense and defense.

I'm guessing that she can't be disarmed, but making the array removable could add a little complication (still not disarmable, but could be stolen or taken away out of combat). Also would free up 5 pts.

Stamina is extremely high, but if it fits your concept that's cool & changing it wouldn't alter your cost effectiveness.

Your minion is below pl defensively and breaks pl offensively. Also, I'm not sure where the dc23 comes from. Str 6 is dc 21 & there doesn't seem to be any kind of damage addition purchased. Also not sure why a hooted animal needs to raise dexterity - it probably can't use any of the associated skills. Also the speed might be a bit high - it's something like 4 times faster than any known form of transportation at the time. M tight consider trading some speed pts for water-walking, could fit concept better.

Just a couple things I saw looking the character over.
Here comes the Dog!
Stong and brave!
Here comes the Dog!
The day he will save!

Spectrum
Titan
Titan

Post by Spectrum » Mon Sep 17, 2012 2:01 am

*yawn* I don't think that I got any sleep last night.

A real rascal by the name of Honesty kept telling me these really funny stories of how 'Somebody' was a real trickster and had all these wonderful adventures. *mrrrf, yawn* He wasn't laughing a whole lot about how Somebody was exiled from the Hunting Grounds for a while because he tried to steal the All Father's seed, by pretending to be His wife.

It'll be fun trying to work through the stories to figure out how to put him into the game. I don't think that Honesty will let me sleep otherwise.

Spectrum

kirinke
Cosmic Scion
Cosmic Scion
Location: Behind the mayo, to the left of the cheese, next to the mystery meat leftover from last week

Post by kirinke » Mon Sep 17, 2012 3:49 am

timothy wrote:As long as you're asking.

She's only hitting pl6.5 on offense and defense.

I'm guessing that she can't be disarmed, but making the array removable could add a little complication (still not disarmable, but could be stolen or taken away out of combat). Also would free up 5 pts.

Stamina is extremely high, but if it fits your concept that's cool & changing it wouldn't alter your cost effectiveness.

Your minion is below pl defensively and breaks pl offensively. Also, I'm not sure where the dc23 comes from. Str 6 is dc 21 & there doesn't seem to be any kind of damage addition purchased. Also not sure why a hooted animal needs to raise dexterity - it probably can't use any of the associated skills. Also the speed might be a bit high - it's something like 4 times faster than any known form of transportation at the time. M tight consider trading some speed pts for water-walking, could fit concept better.

Just a couple things I saw looking the character over.
And yes, the stamina and power array are part of her 'blessed gunslinger package'. Something that habitually goes up against horrors should be rather tough and hard to put down in any case. Since the guns were given to her by 'insert deity's represenative of choice here', they're keyed to her, so she can't loose em any more than she can give up being 'the marshal' so it's an array rather than a device.

Alright. I dropped the minion, added "horse" in her equipment as a transport. Added Evasion. Put an extra point in her dodge/parry/will, bringing that up to 7 and added the rest to her ranged combat skills.

timothy
Zealot
Zealot

Post by timothy » Mon Sep 17, 2012 5:58 am

Hmmm.

Like I said, I can see the stamina being high as character concept. Same with the guns being unremovable (or maybe they can be stolen & just return to her when she needs them which would be kinda cool.). Are they individually keyed to her or is it like (comic book) Mjolnir & anyone "worthy" can use them?

I notice you have three separate ranged combat skills - if you were to remove them and buy an advantage level of ranged attack you'd free up a skill point.

Don't feel like you have to change things you like. Any ideas I post are just ideas.
Here comes the Dog!
Stong and brave!
Here comes the Dog!
The day he will save!

Demonicuss Krinn
Hireling
Hireling

Post by Demonicuss Krinn » Mon Sep 17, 2012 3:22 pm

sweetja713 wrote:Also krinn if you are interested in playing at all, I'd be more than happy to help you with character generation. This is my first gm'ed m&m game so I'll have the book open with me for most posts and would be happy to help with understanding of rules through pm's and the like if you're not sure what you can do.
Thanks for the offer, Sweetja. I thought of some character concepts, so later on I'll run them by y'all. There's one I dig the most, but odds are it's too far out (or at least I thought it was too far out, but we got a dude who statted out a dog), so later on I'll post my char ideas (my main, and two backups if necessary).

bi0philia
Heavyweight
Heavyweight

Post by bi0philia » Mon Sep 17, 2012 3:39 pm

I played in a deadlands game a couple years ago using the savage worlds system and it was a lotta fun.

I have an initial concept for a traveling blues guitar player with devilish powers and a heart of gold, with a sound akin to Mississippi Fred Mcdowell and other early american hills blues players. Of course the classic "sold his soul at the crossroads thing could work, signing away his eternity to old scratch for longevity and an unearthly way with the blues. This could probably translate into him being a huckster, but my memory on how they work exactly is not very keen. If the gm is alright with it, i could possibly write him up with some assorted supernatural abilities(i.e. longevity, enhanced skills/toughness, perhaps some mind affecting things related to the blues,) this is all very vague, but i'm very open to suggestions on how to flesh out the concept side and mechanics as well. I suppose he could work as a harrowed but i'm not sure, suggestions will be appreciated, thanks.

kirinke
Cosmic Scion
Cosmic Scion

Post by kirinke » Mon Sep 17, 2012 5:03 pm

T'were a good idear mistah timothy. I shifted ranged combat into her advantages and freed up 2 points. How about that? Put them back into her skills. So now she has some decent stealth and perception.

Yeah, I think they're individually keyed to her and always available to her, though if a hero point were used in a tight spot and the fellah was worthy (an the plot called for it,) I could see em being borrowed for a round. Liken if she were knocked out. Sorta like buying the mimic power temporarily like.

Spectrum
Titan
Titan

Post by Spectrum » Mon Sep 17, 2012 6:12 pm

Do we have another weekend to put this all together? I have a feeling that Honesty is going to tell me a few more stories tonight while I try to sleep.

Though based on the first version of this post, might actually get some sleep tonight.

sweetja713
Daredevil
Daredevil

Post by sweetja713 » Mon Sep 17, 2012 6:33 pm

I wasn't planning on ending recruiting till at least next monday possibly later if there's a few that put in concepts but don't get them done by the weekend.

bi0philia, I'd be fine with the sold his soul concept but he should be actively trying to get it back somehow. Makes a good plot hook.

As for everyone else submitting characters could you include some stuff about long term goals your character wants to achieve. I'm one of those gms that really likes to bring character backgrounds in as much as possible.

kirinke
Cosmic Scion
Cosmic Scion

Post by kirinke » Mon Sep 17, 2012 7:23 pm

Hmm, sweetja, I was thinking about adding a complication prophetic dreams for Cass: Since she's a blessed character, sometimes she'd get her marchin orders straight from the source of her powers so to speak, so she'd get a dream about a town and an urge to go there, to find that it's sufferin from an infestion of some sort of unnatural unpleasantness or other or some trouble she'd need to solve. That sort of thing. Totally GM plot driven though.

sweetja713
Daredevil
Daredevil

Post by sweetja713 » Mon Sep 17, 2012 7:52 pm

Gives me a way to start an adventure so that's always a good thing. Plus I kinda saw the character as getting a calling from above occasionally anyway.

kirinke
Cosmic Scion
Cosmic Scion

Post by kirinke » Mon Sep 17, 2012 8:15 pm

sweetja713 wrote:Gives me a way to start an adventure so that's always a good thing. Plus I kinda saw the character as getting a calling from above occasionally anyway.
Heh. We're on the same page then. Though if'n she does get a vision of that sort, I do expect a hero point outta it. ^_^

Complications kin be fun.

Oh an did ye get my pm?

sweetja713
Daredevil
Daredevil

Post by sweetja713 » Mon Sep 17, 2012 8:58 pm

Yep got your pm and I'm considering your points but as of right now I'm still open to it depending on the concept. As far as hp go, I think I'll be one that errors on the side of generosity with them anyway. After all in a weird west game there better be all sorts of cool stuff happening on the player side of things. And it lets me toss in tougher foes. Muhhaaahah

Demonicuss Krinn
Hireling
Hireling

Post by Demonicuss Krinn » Mon Sep 17, 2012 9:17 pm

So here's my main character idea. Later on I'll try to find a copy of MnM 3 and try to get some rules crunch down.

Name: Simon "Bisquick" Bisquetti

Simon a man with problems. Big problems. He's currently roaming the West since he got here, working odd jobs, trying to figure out what happened to him, and how to get back home.

Where's his home? Carson City, Nevada.

So what's the problem, you might ask. Can't he just go back to Carson?

There's the trick. His home is Carson City, Nevada - in the year 2097.

Yep, poor Simon's a Future-Boy. And if anyone's curious if the future has rocket cars and apartments like the Jetsons, I should point out that the second game in the Deadlands line is called Deadlands: Hell on Earth. Yeah, the Wasted West Simon roams isn't that fun. Think "Mad Max meets supernatural evil". Simon's kinda living proof of the nastiness of the Wasted West - he's a mutant. Exposure to irradiated ghost rock does strange things to a person. The good news, if you can call it that, is that Simon was taught something about the radioactivity that warped him. How to channel it for powerful effect, to protect those in need. He is a Doomsayer, a Radioactive Cleric of the Glow.

The grand joke is here, in the "past" of the common Weird West, since there's no wastelands formed by irradiated ghost rock bombs, there's no levels of background radiation to tap into. Which means Simon's powerless. Whoops!

How did he get here? As one of the good guys, he helped a posse of heroes deal with a very nasty creature - so powerful that it had to be killed both in the material plane, and in the spectral realms of the Hunting Grounds. Obviously something happened that wasn't in the plan, and now Simon's stuck in 1887.

To make things worse for Simon, while he does recall some ancient history, what he's found here doesn't match up. He's never heard of anything "Wyld", and thinks "Wyrm" is another slang term for a Mohave Rattler. He's getting the bad feeling either the history books were all wrong, or this past doesn't mesh up with his future.

Well, it may not be his home, his time-frame or even his past, but there's still bad things lurking in the darkness, and while he doesn't have his powers, he still needs to do something. And maybe, if the Fates, Gods, and the Glow look out for luckless fools, he'll find a way back to the future.

So that's my main idea - a man from the future, stuck in the past. No powers, no nifty future tech (other than a pistol (and while it's from the future, it's still just a pistol, works like the pistols in the Weird West - just looks funny is all) )and the futuristic equivalent of an iPad - and that can't be recharged here, so once it's out of juice it's a paperweight), and no way of getting home, but still driven by the need to help and protect.

Let me know if this is okay. If not, I'll post a secondary idea. If so, ...until I learn the MnM ruleset, I think maybe the best chance to get him created is to stat him up in DL:C rules, PM'em to Sweetja, and he can help port over the guy to MnM.