Deadlands OOC

This forum is the place for Mutants & Masterminds Play-By-Post games. Please read the M&M Game Room rules before starting or joining a game. Enjoy!
FuzzyBoots
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Re: Deadlands style game interest check

Post by FuzzyBoots » Tue Sep 11, 2012 1:48 pm

Spectrum wrote:Curiously enough I've seen several articles where members of various Native American tribes are asked about their feelings regarding various sports teams- they just wish that they'd win more often.
:-P It's very seldom the minorities themselves that get all riled up over it.

Now what surprised me was finding out as an adult that "squaw" is a Country Matter. Boy does that make that one joke about the Pythagorean Theorem awkward...

sweetja713
Daredevil
Daredevil

Post by sweetja713 » Tue Sep 11, 2012 5:43 pm

Atriden wrote:I also might be interested, but I am not familiar with both worlds. Is it enough to create a character on the information you put here or do I need to read up on something?

The info I put up would be enough. I'm still fleshing out the meld in my notes and if this goes to the recruiting stage would put up more info.

Mark Reuter
Overlord
Overlord

Post by Mark Reuter » Tue Sep 11, 2012 6:48 pm

Would a concept like Quai Chang Caine (Kung Fu) be permitted?

kirinke
Cosmic Scion
Cosmic Scion
Location: Behind the mayo, to the left of the cheese, next to the mystery meat leftover from last week

Post by kirinke » Tue Sep 11, 2012 7:08 pm

I think, just from a player viewpoint, somethin like that'd rock! It's a classic fer an old western type game.

Spectrum
Titan
Titan

Post by Spectrum » Tue Sep 11, 2012 7:12 pm

What's amusing is that the legendary Bruce Lee was involved in the original design of the tv show. There were even significant plans to have him play Caine. It was decided by network executives that he was too 'ethnic'.

Crazyivan777
Zealot
Zealot

Post by Crazyivan777 » Tue Sep 11, 2012 7:20 pm

2nd ed or 3rd? I'm more a 2nd ed type, but this sounds good enough that I might take a gander at 3rd.

And how does a *cough* 'former patient' *cough* of Dr. Leonidas Gash sound?

Demonicuss Krinn
Hireling
Hireling

Post by Demonicuss Krinn » Tue Sep 11, 2012 7:55 pm

Reading the list, I was also going to bring up if Scrappers would be allowed.

For that matter regarding background and metaplot, are you using the background of Deadlands Classic, or Deadlands Reloaded? Things got updated 'n changed when they made the jump to Savage Worlds.

sweetja713
Daredevil
Daredevil

Re: Deadlands style game interest check 3e

Post by sweetja713 » Thu Sep 13, 2012 9:15 am

It'd be 3e, I'm using hazy memories of the original deadlands and werewolf wild west so expect some things to not match up to cannon. A kung-fu type would be fine. I don't know what a scrapper is but unless it's wildly out there I doubt it would be a problem. If we get a couple more people interested then I'll open up for recruiting and flesh out the world a in the op.

Walking Dad
Luminary
Luminary

Post by Walking Dad » Thu Sep 13, 2012 11:43 am

Scrappers are the steam/ghostrock cyborgs originally from Salt Lake City/Deseret.
English isn't my native language. Have patience, please.

WD's PbP characters (3e)
Martian Manhunter builds

Demonicuss Krinn
Hireling
Hireling

Post by Demonicuss Krinn » Thu Sep 13, 2012 12:20 pm

Speaking of Scrappers, would the other rareish/lesser known types, such as Whateley Blooded, Metal Mages, or the variant types of Shaman (Aztec and ...will edit in the names later, they're the group mentioned in the Lost Angels supplement) be allowed?

And veering towards the WoD side of things, I had a thought. Feel free to ignore or incorporate.

The Savage West of Werewolf: Wild West has the original tribes, but changed a bit to reflect they're in the West. For instance, the Glass Walkers, the Garous who use tech and magic to connect themselves to the cities?

They're called Iron Riders. And they ride the rails.

With the Great Rail Wars one of the more memorable parts of Deadlands, how much of a kick would it be to have the Iron Riders be one of the sides competing?

Sakuro
Cosmic Scion
Cosmic Scion

Post by Sakuro » Thu Sep 13, 2012 2:08 pm

What type of story did you have in mind for this? Would PCs be mercs, would they work for a specific faction, or will there be a lot of investigating involved?
Roll Call thread: Character Cache

sweetja713
Daredevil
Daredevil

Post by sweetja713 » Thu Sep 13, 2012 8:17 pm

Basically if it's got a supernatural, ghost rock, or western theme to it, I'm likely to allow it. The whately's I probably wouldn't allow seeing as how they're right evil bastards and I'm looking for heroes. As far as how the pc's meet it'd probably initially be chance but then the Pinkertons or Texas Rangers would seek them out. I also love plenty of good hooks in character's backgrounds. It looks like we have enough interest so I'm going to open this up to recruiting and update the op tomorrow with more information.

sweetja713
Daredevil
Daredevil

Post by sweetja713 » Thu Sep 13, 2012 8:19 pm

Another note geared towards scrappers and the like is character's should have a nominally human appearance. Don't wanna increase the fear level through the unnatural. I'm not outright forbidding it but it'd have to be done in a clever way.

Crazyivan777
Zealot
Zealot

Post by Crazyivan777 » Thu Sep 13, 2012 8:36 pm

In general, scrapper tech is huge honkin' steam-powered limbs, so if that's out I'll start working on another concept.

kirinke
Cosmic Scion
Cosmic Scion
Location: Behind the mayo, to the left of the cheese, next to the mystery meat leftover from last week

Re: Deadlands style game now recruiting 3e

Post by kirinke » Fri Sep 14, 2012 4:08 pm

Is teleporting allowed or is this by yer own two feet or pony-back?