Mutants & Masterminds
HQ    ABOUT M&M    SUPER-VISION    GIMMICK'S GADGETS    M&M SUPERLINK    ATOMIC THINK TANK    M&M SHOP
Saving the world, one d20 roll at a time

Deadlands OOC

This forum is the place for Mutants & Masterminds Play-By-Post games. Please read the M&M Game Room rules before starting or joining a game. Enjoy!

Deadlands OOC

Postby sweetja713 » Fri Aug 31, 2012 9:20 am

Deadlands/World of Darkness Wild West Campaign

This game would be a Wild West game set in a mashup of Deadlands and World of Darkness specifically Werewolf the Wild West.

In this setting, a gateway was opened to the spirit lands of the Wyrm. To spread fear is to spread its power. The Wyrm has been sending out its servants in an effort to corrupt this world.

The civil war is still raging on though there's currently a truce in effect. There are no overt superheros in this world everything has a supernatural source. For the inventor types, the world is largely steampowered by a strange substance called ghost rock.

There some investigative aspects to this world and one of the goals is after a wyrm spirit is defeated, the characters would spread the news of the victory to lessen fear. Additionally it's ok if you're not familiar with this world as I'm not going strictly cannon and this is a game of discovery anyway.

The year is 1877, there's an unofficial truce between the north and south which is really just an excuse for arm's buildup.

Some character ideas & thoughts for complications might be

Harrowed: Walking dead with a Wyrm spirit inside of them that grants them supernatural abilities but sometimes wrestles with them for control

Hucksters: Mystics whose power is fueled by spiritual war with sprits of the Wyrm that lurk in its world to channel their power. Mystic cards appear in their hands when casting hexes and for that reason most carry a poker deck and pose as gambles. Woe be to those that lose the struggle with the Wyrm spirit.

Blessed: Spiritual folk granted gifts by God. They must act in a selfless manner.

Brave: A powerful warrior who may be enhanced by some gifts from the Wyld. Often they are discriminated against by others in the west.

Shamans: Mystics who channel the Wyld and ask favors of its servants. They are often beholden by sacred pacts and customs.

Gunslinger: A master with a gun. May have a reputation or be challenged to duels

Inventor: A master of machinery and contraptions fueled by ghost rocks. May run out of ghost rock, have it explode, or suffer side effects from prolonged exposure.

Alchemists: Inventors of a different sort, they use ghost rock in all sorts of tonics and other concoctions. Of course creating a chemical compound with ghost rock can have all sorts of complications.

Werewolf: A Garou belonging to a tribe of wolves. May be human or lupine in natural form. Often have gifts from the Wyld Feel free to swipe clan descriptions from the Werewolf Wild West or pm me and we can work out some background. They may have typical werewolf weaknesses.

Changeling: A generic term for any servant of the Wyld. They often have their own inscrutable agenda by they often also have a variety of weaknesses.

These of course are just ideas. Feel free to pitch anything with the following in mind. There are no reformed Wyrm spirits, only those that struggle for dominance with them. I prefer no angels of any sort. Use of the talents & luck profiles for unpowered humans will probably help with creating those character types. You will have a hard time selling me on a construct even with a supernatural background.

Folks for the most part aren't aware and aren't fond of the supernatural so all characters must appear human or have a human form. I know with some concepts that's morph 1 at 5 points but I'm giving you 15 over what the power level normally would be so it shouldn't be a problem for those concepts.

Variable is not allowed. Regeneration costs 3 pts a rank and cannot be taken at a rank over 3. Fearless is not allowed, instead it should be built as immunity to fear (common descriptor) and can only be taken at half effect.

Some common descriptors would be supernatural, wyrm, wyld, weaver, ghost rock, technological, talent, divine, faith. These of course are not the only descriptors, just some information for inspiration.

I would prefer to see about 3-4 paragraph backgrounds with good story hooks there or in your complications. If you don't post a picture with your character write out about 2-3 lines on their general appearance.

PL 7 120 Points 3rd Edition
Now recruiting, open to thoughts and suggestions.

Something else to keep in mind is that the party thus far is composed of 2 shifters and a blessed gunslinger so your character should have some ability to tolerate the supernatural, at least the good ones.

Anything submitted by the early morning of the 30th will be considered. I'll also be recruiting players on standby.

Cast
Cassandra White Kirinke, Blessed Gunslinger
Honesty Jones Spectrum,
Nuwisha (with pants!)
Wynona Stalks-from-Shadow Bladewind, Homid Silent Strider Theurge

Submissions thus far
Cassandra White Kirinke, Blessed Gunslinger
Li Jun(Jun Lee) Mark Reuter, Shaolin Priest
Dog Timothy, Dog
Honesty Jones Spectrum, Nuwisha (with pants!)
"Brimstone" Bill McDowell bi0philia, Blessed?
Wynona Stalks-from-Shadow Bladewind, Homid Silent Strider Theurge
Wanekia Background Crazyivan777, ghost-dance ritual shaman
Last edited by sweetja713 on Tue Dec 18, 2012 4:56 pm, edited 13 times in total.
sweetja713
Daredevil
Daredevil

Re: Deadlands style game interest check

Postby Walking Dad » Fri Aug 31, 2012 12:59 pm

Played some Deadlands and got the Werewolf cross-over dime novels. Which edition will you use for this game?
English isn't my native language. Have patience, please.

WD's PbP characters (3e)
Martian Manhunter builds
Walking Dad
Luminary
Luminary

Postby Spectrum » Fri Aug 31, 2012 1:23 pm

On the subject of werewolves? Will those actually be affordable between shapeshifting, cross dimensional travel, Gifts, Rites, Fetishes, and all the other fun stuff?

For that matter- the usual question, which edition?
Spectrum
Titan
Titan

Postby sweetja713 » Fri Aug 31, 2012 4:08 pm

3rd ed i know werewolves will be a bit expensive but that's why I'm giving extra pp and i wouldn't expect a direct translation of a wod werewolf i would probably cut the dimension travel as if you're in the umbra you're basically in deep already
sweetja713
Daredevil
Daredevil

Postby Walking Dad » Sat Sep 01, 2012 12:29 am

Travel to the Umbra and back is worth 2 points and would enable them to fight possession spirits in their home real for example. IMHO, not an effective place to save points.
English isn't my native language. Have patience, please.

WD's PbP characters (3e)
Martian Manhunter builds
Walking Dad
Luminary
Luminary

Postby sweetja713 » Sat Sep 01, 2012 7:18 am

Actually that's a good point that I hadn't thought of. That's definitely a doable tactic, even though you're now in a hellish battle ground. In this world the umbra doesn't have a lot of good places, you can still find them, but almost everything in there is wyrm influenced now.
sweetja713
Daredevil
Daredevil

Postby Spectrum » Sat Sep 01, 2012 8:18 am

Memories of my short lived Deadlands character are starting to come back to me. Sadly, he's probably too horribly unPC to be acceptable on the boards. Also, as I'm typing this up, it seems that he might be a little too close to D from WD's street level game. I didn't realize at the time how much influence had carried across.

Jeremiah is a real Southern baptist type that was Called to preach. In particular, he was called to preach to those yeller heathens out in San Fran who needed to be taught about the word of Jesus rather than the false ways that they were taught back in China. So he packed up his family and moved west. Travel was hard back in those days, and he lost his wife and his son, but it was just the Devil trying to tempt him away from his righteous cause. When he arrived, he was mostly dead from exhaustion and sickness and nursed back to health by God's will and maybe some yeller nonsense. As time progressed, he found the Chinamen not so bad folks, good hard working folks, even if they did worship the Devil and his minions. Maybe, their Buddow had sumpin in common with Jesus. As he preached on the streets, he learned a few things himself, like how to kick @$$ righteously in the Lord's name. He ain't too fond of the Cathlicks either, knowin that God's Word is meant for each man rather than a false prophet.

So again, horribly horribly unPC, but he was fun to play around with for the short campaign. I hope that I didn't offend anyone too much.

Spectrum
Spectrum
Titan
Titan

Postby sweetja713 » Sat Sep 01, 2012 11:57 am

Trying for something more pc than that. Actually, I'm kind of vague on something and would appreciate input. I know indian's been used in a negative light but with team names still using the term, does anyone think it would be violating board rules to use it?
sweetja713
Daredevil
Daredevil

Postby arcaric » Tue Sep 04, 2012 2:23 am

I'm interested, I've been wanting to something set in deadlands or a similar world. I think I'd want to play some form of gunslinger, possibly a harrowed.
arcaric
Supporting Cast
Supporting Cast

Postby sweetja713 » Tue Sep 04, 2012 10:49 am

It's a very deadlandish world. The only reason I won't say it's pure deadlands is because I'm blending it somewhat with werewolf wild west and I don't remember where my copy of deadlands is in my vast realm of storage. Moving can be so hard on finding books you haven't touched in 5 years.
sweetja713
Daredevil
Daredevil

Postby kirinke » Thu Sep 06, 2012 6:35 am

Hmm got a concept that might work. An immortal gunslinger blessed by god to fight evil and protect the innocents and cursed by old scratch himself to bring damned souls straight to hell. Think of her as a classic marshal type paladinish character.

Backstory
Well t'begin with mah name is or was Cassandra White. While ah was on a train bound fer San Fran, there were this bright flash of light. Time seemed to kinda stop fer me and this fella came to me. He was dressed like a cowboy, but all in white, cept for a black duster and cowboy hat, like some dime-store novel writer's idear of a good-guy gunslinger.

He smiled at me and then I knew. "Time's up Cassandra White. The world ain't full of roses and sugar, tea and buskets an there be things that go bump in tha night, bad things that need tah be stopped. We're pickin you to be the one to stop it. You got it in you, to see the wrong things made right, tah put the bad-things put back in their place. You is the one Cassandra White. Now you're the Marshal, the one that stands betwix heaven an hell, between tha livin an the dead. Your job is to bring the bad-uns back to hell and protect the innocent. It tain't an easy job, but we know you kin do it. Are ya ready t'be strong?" he asked, holdin out a bright, shiny Marshal badge and a pair of six-shooters, one white and one black.

Ah took em.

And mah life was changed ferever.

Now Ah'm the Spirit of the West, the Lady Justice, The Marshall betwixt heaven an hell. Mah job is to remand angels and tha things out thah that most folk don't want to meet an greet that the rules are thah foh a reason an tah punish the guilty pahties. Folks round these parts call me either Lady Marshal or the Heavenly Marshal. That's when they bein polite. And they always polite 'round me.
Last edited by kirinke on Thu Sep 06, 2012 6:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
kirinke
Cosmic Scion
Cosmic Scion

Location: Behind the mayo, to the left of the cheese, next to the mystery meat leftover from last week

Postby kirinke » Thu Sep 06, 2012 6:42 am

sweetja713 wrote:Trying for something more pc than that. Actually, I'm kind of vague on something and would appreciate input. I know indian's been used in a negative light but with team names still using the term, does anyone think it would be violating board rules to use it?

Natives, short for Native American would work. But if this is a period piece, um I'd get with the mods to see what would be acceptable in such circumstances. I mean back then, terms we'd call derogatory now was perfectly acceptable speech and we'd be viewed as weirdos for thinking it to be bad.
kirinke
Cosmic Scion
Cosmic Scion

Location: Behind the mayo, to the left of the cheese, next to the mystery meat leftover from last week

Postby Atriden » Tue Sep 11, 2012 11:13 am

I also might be interested, but I am not familiar with both worlds. Is it enough to create a character on the information you put here or do I need to read up on something?
Atriden
Hireling
Hireling

Postby FuzzyBoots » Tue Sep 11, 2012 1:23 pm

kirinke wrote:
sweetja713 wrote:Trying for something more pc than that. Actually, I'm kind of vague on something and would appreciate input. I know indian's been used in a negative light but with team names still using the term, does anyone think it would be violating board rules to use it?

Natives, short for Native American would work. But if this is a period piece, um I'd get with the mods to see what would be acceptable in such circumstances. I mean back then, terms we'd call derogatory now was perfectly acceptable speech and we'd be viewed as weirdos for thinking it to be bad.

*blink* I'd never heard of "Indian" being offensive. Mildly confusing given people might think you're talking about someone from India. It's names like "Redskins" and "Savages" that people get up in arms about. :)
FuzzyBoots
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Spectrum » Tue Sep 11, 2012 1:27 pm

Curiously enough I've seen several articles where members of various Native American tribes are asked about their feelings regarding various sports teams- they just wish that they'd win more often.
Spectrum
Titan
Titan

Next

Return to M&M Game Room