Mutants & Masterminds
HQ    ABOUT M&M    SUPER-VISION    GIMMICK'S GADGETS    M&M SUPERLINK    ATOMIC THINK TANK    M&M SHOP
Saving the world, one d20 roll at a time

Awakenings (IC)

This forum is the place for Mutants & Masterminds Play-By-Post games. Please read the M&M Game Room rules before starting or joining a game. Enjoy!

Awakenings (IC)

Postby Neo-Paladin » Fri Aug 31, 2012 1:41 am

I know what you are. I can help you. I can offer you a future.
That is the message you have all received. Delivered by (non-electronic) mail, it sports no sender, no posting stamps, not even - to those so inclined to look -fingerprints. But inside is something that makes you all pay attention: photos. Photographs no one could possibly have taken. Photos, some of them obviously taken in the privace of your own homes. Photos that all show one thing: you using your new, unique ability, performing things that should not work, not by any understanding of science humanity has.
And there is an address. A warehouse in an abandoned industrial area in New Jersey. For those who would have to travel further, there is a 1st-class flight ticket included...
Neo-Paladin
Overlord
Overlord
 
Posts: 4580
Joined: Thu May 21, 2009 10:06 am

Re: Awakenings (IC)

Postby sirzanek » Fri Aug 31, 2012 6:05 am

Zach Spencer

Zach couldn't help fidgeting as his train rolled out of South Station. Never having done much traveling, he was agitated, and not only because of the unfamiliar surroundings. As he watched Boston recede in the distance, he pulled the envelope out of his slightly overstuffed backpack. Thumbing through the photos, he mentally kicked himself for being so careless. He was sure he had lowered all of the blinds before he had started any of his experiments, in fact, as he replayed it in his mind he was positive. He must have missed something though, the proof was in his hands. There he was, tracing the entire electrical layout of his apartment in chalk on the walls. Then there were the four really embarrassing photos of his Uncle Fester impression with the light bulb in his mouth and his fingers in the wall outlet...
Six hours later he was in New Jersey. He had hailed a cab and had been dropped off a little under a quarter mile away from the actual address he had been given. Walking up to the building he opened his mind up to the local electric fields as he approached the door. Maybe he was being paranoid, but knowing a little bit about who he was going to meet couldn't be a bad thing....

OOC- Zach will be scanning the area to get a feel for what is using electricity and how generally 'hot' the building is. Paying particular attention to anything that might indicate surveillance or security features. Perception roll of 1d20+12=32!!!! Ok, apparently Zach has been coffee binging on the trip down...
User avatar
sirzanek
Zealot
Zealot
 
Posts: 1093
Joined: Thu Sep 14, 2006 8:13 am
Location: Chelmsford, MA

Re: Awakenings (IC)

Postby Neo-Paladin » Fri Aug 31, 2012 6:17 am

Zach is actually the first one to arrive, only a minute or so before the others. Through the walls, he sees that, despite the run-down look of the place, the building is still wired and there are several very active power sources within, especially on the basement level.
Neo-Paladin
Overlord
Overlord
 
Posts: 4580
Joined: Thu May 21, 2009 10:06 am

Re: Awakenings (IC)

Postby sirzanek » Fri Aug 31, 2012 8:54 am

Zach Spencer

"Abandoned my rosy right butt cheek...." Zach mutters under his breath as he cautiously pushes on the door. Looking around, he makes his way towards anything that looks like a waiting area, meeting room, or just a chair. Before he sits, he slightly shifts the modified cell phone holder on his belt so his weight won't be hindering his access to his trusty stun gun, should the need arise. Feeling confident he isn't in the sights of some robotic machine gun death trap, he shifts his perceptions towards the subtle micro voltage of the human neural system. With no idea what was in store, it seemed like the safest bet...

OOC- And now he waits...
User avatar
sirzanek
Zealot
Zealot
 
Posts: 1093
Joined: Thu Sep 14, 2006 8:13 am
Location: Chelmsford, MA

Re: Awakenings (IC)

Postby Dufresne » Fri Aug 31, 2012 12:42 pm

Casey Lorentz

He knew it was a trap. It didn't take a detective to know that, but they had him by the balls. They had pictures of him at the armored car robbery, pictures of him putting bullets through the brains of six men in a matter of seconds. They brought his parents into it.

"Flight 26 bound for New Jersey, now boarding first class!"

Sitting on the plane, Casey's nerves started to get to him. This went against every instinct he had; he was the one who set the traps, not the one walking into them. These people knew what he could do, so he couldn't even count on that if it hit the fan. He landed and waited outside for the rental car, taking in a deep breath of the foul polluted air, chuckling to himself.

Could be my last breath of free air, and it's wasted on New Jersey smog. What a way to go.

As he pulled up to the aforementioned warehouse, he felt the small of his back for the knives he'd brought with him. The rest of his arsenal was being sent to a secure location, but his trusty ceramic throwing knives and worn-out deck of playing cards were all he could get through airport security. Outside of the car, he looks and listens for any sounds of activity, and nudges up to the front of the building with his ear to the door.

Perception roll: 1d20+9=13
User avatar
Dufresne
Henchman
Henchman
 
Posts: 241
Joined: Wed Aug 25, 2010 3:45 pm
Location: South of the South

Re: Awakenings (IC)

Postby Walking Dad » Fri Aug 31, 2012 1:25 pm

Chris Mason
Character Sheet - HP: 1 - Luck: 3 - Condition normal

The flight from Florida was uneventful and kind of boring. Chris would have really preferred to swim the distance, but the photos he got all showed him testing his strength, not him under water, doing his new stuff. If he was under surveillance, no reason to show them more than they already know.
It was another boring and long walk from the nearest bus station to the warehouses, but money was tight.
He inhales deeply, immediately wondering if the water around was as polluted as the air.

Being a bit cocky (knowing most handguns not be able to penetrate your skin does that to you) he just stands in the open, waiting for what will happen next.
English isn't my native language. Have patience, please.

WD's PbP characters (3e)
Martian Manhunter builds
User avatar
Walking Dad
Luminary
Luminary
 
Posts: 2599
Joined: Tue Feb 26, 2008 2:51 am
Location: Germany

Re: Awakenings (IC)

Postby Cold Steel » Fri Aug 31, 2012 3:26 pm

Algernon Crowe:

Crowe got out of the yellow taxi and wishing he was somewhere else and having a drink or three.

He had been a businessman for too long not see all this as a thinly disguised carrot on a stick gimmick though he knew not why. He wasn't even sure how a picture of him "ghosting" his hand through the refrigerator to get a beer some weeks ago when he got careless came into being.

At least its not blackmail. Otherwise the pictures would show me with these hookers during that company seminar in Boston. They swore they were both over 18. Good lap dancers though.

Crowe didn't know what to do when he did meet whoever was responsible. He found it easier of late to mentally use his power to focus on becoming intangible while appearing solid if that made any sense.

He noticed others near the building of course and his stomach tighten into knots as he approached them.

Crowe is in "phase form" while appearing solid. The Subtle extra does has its perks.
"Fortune favors the stupid!"
User avatar
Cold Steel
Cohort
Cohort
 
Posts: 256
Joined: Wed Jan 20, 2010 7:43 pm
Location: Anchorage, Alaska

Re: Awakenings (IC)

Postby Neo-Paladin » Fri Aug 31, 2012 3:41 pm

For anyone listening, there is no sound beyond the door. It is unlocked, however, opening into a friendly, small room filled with comfortable chairs, a small table with a bunch of magazines on top and a couple of plants. It looks like a doctor's waiting room....
Neo-Paladin
Overlord
Overlord
 
Posts: 4580
Joined: Thu May 21, 2009 10:06 am

Re: Awakenings (IC)

Postby Dufresne » Fri Aug 31, 2012 9:13 pm

Casey Lorentz

Obviously shocked by the lack of security and the posh furnishings inside, Casey walks in and looks around to take stock of the situation. Finding nothing to arouse his immediate suspicion save a really geeky-looking kid fiddling with his pocket in one of the chairs, he allows himself to relax a little.

What's a guy like that doing in a place like this? Casey gives him a nod and sits down beside him. "How's it goin'? You get a letter, too?" he asks with plain curiosity, figuring that his only option now is to wait and see what's going to happen. He shuffles through the magazines to glean what he can about their mysterious summoner.
User avatar
Dufresne
Henchman
Henchman
 
Posts: 241
Joined: Wed Aug 25, 2010 3:45 pm
Location: South of the South

Re: Awakenings (IC)

Postby Belial666 » Sat Sep 01, 2012 10:25 am

EVE
character sheet
HP: 1, Cond: 8)


Interesting.
That was what the redhead had thought when the letter arrived. Interesting - but the pictures were crap. Bad lighting, bad angle, taken when she came back after long hours of work... The apparent blackmail did not annoy her -she had another response to such- but the lack of professionalism was insulting! She could have modeled underwear if the study of life wasn't so exciting and these pictures made her look like an awkward teenager that hadn't even touched her mother's cosmetics once! They would have words, the letter's sended and her...

Made of organically grown nanofiber, the wings weighed barely a kilo each but they extended several square yards and they were strong - very strong. Beating at over two thousand times per minute like those of an overgrown bee, they propelled their cargo upwards at hypersonic speeds. Their cargo -redhead, irish, female, one- shifted from the smugness of having designed something like them to the discomfort of stratospheric flight with indecision. The air was thin and normally cold but even here Mach 7 produced enough friction for uncomfortably high temperatures and its thinness prevented breathing. No matter - her metabolism had adapted to fully anaerobic function a half-minute after takeoff.
As vacuum finally won over atmosphere, the growing smugness thrust aside a brief bout of vertigo. With no air to push against, the wings stilled... and the trillions upon trillions potassium-sodium pumps forming a weblike network across their transparent surface got to work. It was the same mechanism used by electric eels, amplified by orders of magnitude; tens of thousands of volts flowed now through the network. But the network's lines were meticulously aligned, the complex tapestry of currents producing a strong yet adaptable magnetic field. And that field latched against the planet's own magnetosphere and pushed - magnetic levitation overcame the cargo's weight and produced flight!
This is how alien visitors must feel. I wonder... am I half martian perhaps?
Banishing that silly thought, Eabha McCorrigan focused on reentry. Designing and growing the wings had taken a good two hours but a Belfast-New Jersey run had taken a mere twenty minutes, making the whole trip much shorter than commercial flights.
Not to mention sorer; I got aches in muscles I'd forgotten I ever had!
Smiling, if only to herself, she folded her wings and descended towards the city in a controlled fall. Now that she was close, the images she'd studied via Google Maps while waiting for the wings to grow fit reality closer and closer. Nanofiber membrane slowly dissolving against the friction, the redhead kept her fall at less than meteoric speeds. On passing the seven-mile mark, she was no longer winged and she had a terminal velocity of a mere two hundred miles an hour. Making her bones even denser while simultaneously upping their elasticity, she aimed for the empty lot two miles below...



New Jersey had a lot of abandoned industrial areas. The silence in one of them was only momentarily interrupted by a very loud gunshot... that wasn't actually a gunshot. One moment, the parking lot before the old warehouse was empty except for a couple rather ordinary tourists waiting by the entrance. The next, a tall redhead was crouching in the middle of that empty space, a spiderweb network of cracks radiating out of her feet. Cracks in concrete. Her form-fitting, sleeveless top and short (but modest in comparison) skirt were just a bit out of alignment, a detail she corrected with a small smile for her observers. Then, unwrapping a tight, leather imitation bundle, she took out a pair of comfortable yet fashionable low-heeled boots she wore over her bare feet.
Here's to hopin' me entrance didn't alarm ye. she said smirking, a trace of some stranger accent over her english one. I be here for a business meeting concerning... operational security. Checking that her long, wavy red hair had sustained no damage and returning them to a thick braid with practiced ease, she moved closer to the others in an enticingly swaying walk.
Image
User avatar
Belial666
Mastermind
Mastermind
 
Posts: 2423
Joined: Mon Jan 10, 2011 10:45 am

Re: Awakenings (IC)

Postby Dufresne » Sat Sep 01, 2012 6:49 pm

Casey

Before the kid can respond, their uncertain peace is broken by the sound of a sonic boom , followed by a cracking of the concrete outside at almost the same time, like somebody hitting the ground hard right outside the door. If I were an amateur, I might think those were gunshots. What is all this nonsense? The door opened, and in sauntered this beautiful young redhead with a really suspicious smirk on her face. Something was off about her, but besides a young girl showing up in a place like this he couldn't say what it was specifically. She better not have chipped my rental with that flashy entrance.

"And just what might you be? Young girls don't exactly come crashing down from the sky every day..." he looks unimpressed, like a child who's been to too many circuses to enjoy the show.
User avatar
Dufresne
Henchman
Henchman
 
Posts: 241
Joined: Wed Aug 25, 2010 3:45 pm
Location: South of the South

Re: Awakenings (IC)

Postby Cold Steel » Sat Sep 01, 2012 8:20 pm

Algernon Crowe:

Crowe entered inside and saw the room. He was about to sit down when he heard a god awful sound outside and then suddenly this girl entered. Her accent made him oddly homesick for his native Scotland.

"Well, will someone please tell me what's going on? Did one of you bloody gits send me a letter about my err... condition or not?"
"Fortune favors the stupid!"
User avatar
Cold Steel
Cohort
Cohort
 
Posts: 256
Joined: Wed Jan 20, 2010 7:43 pm
Location: Anchorage, Alaska

Re: Awakenings (IC)

Postby Walking Dad » Sat Sep 01, 2012 11:59 pm

Chris Mason
Character Sheet - HP: 1 - Luck: 3 - Condition normal

Chris was totally stunt by the girls entrance... not her looks. He felt totally outclassed and cautiously follows inside, just to hear the question with the Scottish accent. "Uhm, no sir, I'm completely clueless what's going on. I got a letter myself." He responds a bit hesitantly as he looks around.
This really looks like a waiting room! He just hopes they are not going to be some guinea pigs.
English isn't my native language. Have patience, please.

WD's PbP characters (3e)
Martian Manhunter builds
User avatar
Walking Dad
Luminary
Luminary
 
Posts: 2599
Joined: Tue Feb 26, 2008 2:51 am
Location: Germany

Re: Awakenings (IC)

Postby Dufresne » Sun Sep 02, 2012 8:34 am

Casey

In reply to the older foreign gentleman, Casey fished into his pocket, stood up and pulled out his own letter for all to see. "Quite a situation we've all gotten ourselves into, I guess. Whoever has the answers, they better be good." From his tone, he's obviously prepared to back up his statement. That guy, there's something off about him, too... I never heard his footsteps.

If they were going to have to wait for answers, he figured they might as well start piecing the puzzled together themselves. "Name's Casey, everybody, I'll leave it to you to decide whether you want to tell me yours. Since we're all here, though, and I'm betting we're all here for the same reason," he pauses, giving a knowing look across the room, "So I figure we might as well get to know each other if we're all gonna be on the same boat for a while, you know?"
User avatar
Dufresne
Henchman
Henchman
 
Posts: 241
Joined: Wed Aug 25, 2010 3:45 pm
Location: South of the South

Re: Awakenings (IC)

Postby sirzanek » Mon Sep 03, 2012 4:31 am

Zach Spencer

Coming to this meeting was rapidly seeming like a worse and worse idea. Whatever that noise was outside did not bode well, and the weird combination of hostility and confidence in the room had him very much on edge. Not to mention the really strange neural readings he was getting off of some of these people. Zach rubbed his eyes and focused back on reality, shutting out the electric world for the time being. Fishing the letter back out of his back pack, he introduces himself "Zach. Look, I have no idea why I'm here." He surveys the assembled group, spending a little more time on the redhead than was absolutely necessary. "I'm just a computer tech. So I'm guessing by your question, sir, that we've all noticed some.... unusual talents surfacing lately?"
User avatar
sirzanek
Zealot
Zealot
 
Posts: 1093
Joined: Thu Sep 14, 2006 8:13 am
Location: Chelmsford, MA

Next

Return to M&M Game Room



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests