Mutants & Masterminds
HQ    ABOUT M&M    SUPER-VISION    GIMMICK'S GADGETS    M&M SUPERLINK    ATOMIC THINK TANK    M&M SHOP
Saving the world, one d20 roll at a time

Paradigm Shift IC - Shields Up. Red Alert.

This forum is the place for Mutants & Masterminds Play-By-Post games. Please read the M&M Game Room rules before starting or joining a game. Enjoy!

Re: Paradigm Shift IC - Shields Up. Red Alert.

Postby Adventure Dan » Tue Oct 16, 2012 5:41 pm

Spider
HP: 2
Condition: Normal

Perched on the edge of a flagpole, hundreds of meters above the streets of Metropolis. Peter looked southward at the desolate skyline of the city formerly known as New Angels. He had only just been Augmented less than a week ago, and gazing at Lost Angels served as a grim reminder of what the young man had enlisted in and what dangers. It scared him. He took comfort in knowing that the city had fallen to a worst-case scenario. The chances of ever having to step in Lost Angels, let alone the emergence of two simultaneous invasions, were slim. At least he hoped.

And now, here was Colonel Kent asking the group to investigate the city as a personal favor. Rogers and the Cyborg seemed enthusiastic, which made Spider worry that they would notice his gulp. But... even if he was nervous, what kind of person would he be if he backed out now? Certainly not the one he knew Uncle Ben wanted him to be. Uncle Ben!

"I'll also go into Lost Angels," Spider stepped forward. "Is... is it OK if I make a call real quick? It's important." He made it sound like he might be contacting someone actually important to the current situation. He walked away from everyone. After making sure there was no Science Police or anyone from the team in earshot, he looked at the ceiling and ordered, "Teleporters: bathroom." A pause. "Psh," he mumbled before walking the rest of the way.

"Hi, Uncle Ben. It's me, Peter." He paced the single bathroom, his goggles and bandanna draped around the neck. He was sort of thankful that the answering machine had picked up. "I'm fine. Saw my first real action as an Augment today, though. Nothing big, just the fate of Metropolis is all." He forced a laugh. "I am going to have to head into Lost Angels, however. Yeah, Lost Angels." He repeated it more for himself to help shake the disbelief. "I know this is what I signed up for, I just wanted to say that if I'm not back by tomorrow or however long this takes..." The teen trailed off, not wanting to think about the worst possibility. "I... could you save some leftovers in the fridge for me?" he finished weakly. "Thanks. Bye."

He hung up.

Assume Spider has rejoined the group.
Last edited by Adventure Dan on Thu Oct 25, 2012 10:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Adventure Dan
Cohort
Cohort

Postby Voidrazor » Sat Oct 20, 2012 7:09 pm

Rebis
HP: 1 Condition: recovered from fatigue?

Bladewind wrote:Starrware Towers - Skulld's Mind
Delgado, one of Kent's Lieutenants approaches Rebis. "Impressive work."

Rebis straightens and nods to the lieutenant. "Thank you. If only the earlier incursions could have been stopped so quickly. We shall make this the beginning of a trend, yes?"

Bladewind wrote:Col Kent
He looks over the group again, pausing at Rebis for a moment longer than most, and Beetle a just a little less than that. Whatever he is thinking is interrupted by the Psi Officer.

"Therefore, I ask of you. Will you investigate Star Labs' remains in Lost Angels?"[/color]

Rebis returns the stare through dark glasses. Obviously, earning the colonel's trust would take some time, if it was even possible. But cringing under his gaze would be a disaster. "We would be honored to assist."

Immediately after making the offer s/he starts cursing hirself. Crap, too late to say 'I' would be honored. Perhaps no one will make anything of it. Well, the others will learn the truth soon enough.
Voidrazor
Supporting Cast
Supporting Cast

Postby Bladewind » Mon Oct 22, 2012 6:23 pm

Recap
Dimensional Anchors: Dormant

With Skulld and Lincoln now in custody, the temperatures have started to return to normal and people are working on thawing / saving those that were frozen. It's clear if allowed to melt naturally, they will freeze to death if they're even still alive.

If pressed on the matter, Kent and his team will insist they have it in hand and that you are needed for other work that is just as important, perhaps more so as it pertains to the city.

Amazon, you are still nagged by the remnants of the images from Skulld's mind. With three buildings out of a whole city clear in the creepy-looking woman's face, it be-gets the question, why? Considering Kent's psychic also mentioned them brings further emphasis on their significance.

Spider rejoins the group, looking... relieved.

Despite all logic to the contrary, it was just suggested that you bring Skulld's staff to the ruins of Star Labs, one of very few buildings still standing in Lost Angels.

The whereabouts of Cythonna are unknown.

Moving Forward.
Dimensional Anchors: Still Dormant

"Ms. Starr." Kent says to the buxom blonde. "I'd like you to stay behind, please.

"As for the rest of you Captain Rogers, Major Prince - command of the unit is in your hands until a proper chain can be established.

"Stone, Rebis, and Spider - I have faith in your abilities."
He pauses, looking over the team that he brought with him, and then you barely notice a sigh as he calls out. Rebis feels that perhaps when hir name was said that the mplied faith was... feigned?

"Please show yourself." He seemingly says to the air, but in reality he is calling to the shadows. to summon Eclipse who had begun to investigate the scene on his own.

"Along with another agent I would like you to consider - assuming he wishes to join the excursion, I believe that an ancient defender of this reality..." He pauses as he touches the comm on his ear, "Indeed, I have word that he is touching down outside.

"Whatever you need, vehicles, supplies, they're yours. Weapons are another matter, but considering your Augmentations, I don't think that will be required.

"Good luck."

"Sir? You don't wish to warn them?" A subordinate points out, and promptly shrinks back from the glare that Kent gives him.

"Very well. I would have thought it not necessary given who these are, but... Horus fits the definition of Paradigm Shifted. Leave your prejudice at the door and understand that you can count on him." Kent knows full well that leaving prejudice anywhere is not easy, and makes you wonder why it would need to be mentioned given what you have all witnessed since the war for reality began...
Bladewind
Overlord
Overlord

Postby Bombaatu » Mon Oct 22, 2012 8:15 pm

Horus
HP: 1 - Cond: normal(-ish... for him)

"O, sweet merciful Horus, I think I'm going to be sick!"
Biti had always dreamt of flying, soaring high overhead without any of the petty concerns of gravity. The reality, it turns out, was far more terrifying than the wish... especially when he wasn't the one in the pilot's seat. It was similar to the roller-coaster he had been on (ONCE!), but without the pesky safety bars or seat belts. Biti could feel muscles he didn't even have flex to beat the powerful, broad wings as he drove through the air, swooping and turning this way and that.

You need not beseech me, Biti Bahur. I am with you as I was with your forefathers; you have nothing to fear!

Images flooded Biti's mind as the being inhabiting his body took in details with its (his) greatly-enhanced eyesight. Here, a squirrel flicked his tail while contemplating a particularly tasty nut; there, a woman concentrated on a small, lit device ("It's called a 'cell-phone'.") while she rapidly moved her thumbs. She went about conversing with friends unseen as a man leared at her passing.

THERE! In that shining edifice before us... the Fabric of All is twisted and rent in that place, stained by the foulness that was there was there. We are needed.

The ground rose up rapidly as Horus alighted on a street sign across from Starrware Tower. Shadows were cast in stark contrast, sharped by the sun-like glow radiating from the winged being. People turned and gazed in shock and horror, shielding their eyes even as they fled from this strange creature.

"This is a terrible idea - we're going to get shot!"

Shot? I see no bows... Why do you fear, Biti Bahur?
Bombaatu
Paragon
Paragon

Postby Lord Fell » Wed Oct 24, 2012 12:24 am

The American Amazon

After listening to the Psi officer's report, American Amazon nods. "I also saw those three buildings in Skulld's mind -that is the woman from the incursion. The keyhole I observed seemed to be above Starr Tower, which is why I focused on that aspect. I'd still like to discuss our findings with a metaphysics expert."

Diana listens to Colonel Kent's request to enter Lost Angels with a great deal of trepidation. Immediately her eyes shift to Rogers and Stone. After a moment, she tilts her head back, pinches the bridge of her nose and starts counting slowly to ten.

"Colonel Kent, you've read Captain Roger's file, I'm sure. So have I..." She pauses and glances over at Rogers and Stone again. "No offense is intended, Rogers, nor to you Lieutenant Stone..." Diana returns to addressing Kent, and she has resumed an At Attention stance. "Lost Angels was a meat grinder for Roger's unit, and Sir, I am not convinced that either man is fit for duty on account of PTSD. Throw them back into Lost Angels, and absolutely they are not. These two may have been fine soldiers, and they may be one of the few Augmented Resources available to you... but I can't have either one in my Chain of Command -at least not at the scene of the massacre that almost ended them."

Diana gives Kent what might be considered an overly bold look, and belatedly adds one more "Sir."
Lord Fell
Overlord
Overlord

Postby Walking Dad » Wed Oct 24, 2012 2:17 am

Cyborg
Character Sheet- HP 3 - Condition: normal

Cyborg looks sternly at the Major. "may have been fine soldiers" resonates in his thoughts. And what does she consider him now? Even as a human being? He wonders what she has done thus far and what she was willing to sacrifice for her city.
English isn't my native language. Have patience, please.

WD's PbP characters (3e)
Martian Manhunter builds
Walking Dad
Luminary
Luminary

Postby Zen_Gypsy » Wed Oct 24, 2012 5:22 am

Captain Steve Rogers
Hero Points: 3.
Condition: Fatigued.

Captain Rogers straightened himself and stepped up beside the Major. "Your concerns are duly noted, but before you question an officers ability to serve, you should have the respect to do so in private. You question my own ability, and the ability of Sergeant Stone. I will have you know Major, there were more heroes in my unit than are standing in this room today. If you think, for one instance that you are going to prevent me from returning to the Lost Angels to honor their sacrifice, you are sorely mistaken."

He scanned the assembled faces, looking for support from those that he knew, a slight nod of his head towards the familiar Stone, and a pragmatic, stoic face for the rest of his troops.

"Might I remind you, Major." He stressed the rank as he spoke. "That this is a Sci-Pol Operation, our greatest asset is knowledge, and experience. By dismissing those who possess the experience in our theater of operation, you are condemning this task force to failure, and forcing it to walk into the self same meat grinder again, only this time blind. As you've stated, you have read my own file, and the file of Sergeant Stone. Both files are cleared for active duty, has something occurred during this first engagement that calls into question either soldiers ability to command, or follow orders? If it has, I'll be pleased to address it in your debriefing. Otherwise, to honor your request, I will take Sergeant Stone, and the Rebis as an advance scout party, and relay the information and path to our target back to the main unit, where I hope our presence will not offend your delicate sensibilities."

With that, he snapped a salute at Kent, turned and departed the rooftop, throwing a tilt of his head towards both Rebis and Stone.
"If sacred spaces are spared the ravages of war -- make all places sacred. And if the holy people are to be kept harmless from war -- make all peoples holy." -- Norrin Radd (Silver Surfer: Requiem; J. Michael Straczynski)
Zen_Gypsy
Heavyweight
Heavyweight

Postby Walking Dad » Wed Oct 24, 2012 12:23 pm

Cyborg
Character Sheet- HP 4 - Condition: normal

Stone quickly salutes and follows the Captain. These games about jurisdictions and ranks aren't his cup of tea. He knows his place in the command chain, but on the field, they are a band of brothers, working together as a well oiled unit. Or not, as it seems. The Captains suggestion has surely some merit. Perhaps they should take this Horus also into their scout party. The Major seems to have some issues with trusting the commands and assessments of her superiors.
English isn't my native language. Have patience, please.

WD's PbP characters (3e)
Martian Manhunter builds
Walking Dad
Luminary
Luminary

Postby RedBstrd » Wed Oct 24, 2012 2:48 pm

Eclipse
HP: 1
Condition: Normal

Honoring Kent's request, the agent known as Eclipse steps from the shadows. He wears a black fedora hat which went out of fashion decades ago, a black trench coat, leather gloves, a black cape with a red interior which looks like something that a 1930s stage magician might wear, and a red scarf which covers his lower face. His eyes are piercing and display a kind of grim determination.

His introduction gets cut off before it begins by the exchange between Rogers and the Amazon over the incursion into Lost Angels. As Rogers turns and tilts his heads towards Rebis and Stone, the new arrival finally takes the opportunity to speak. "Good work today," he observes. "You've bought Metropolis a few more grains of sand." Getting to the point, he offers: "If a scout party is what you're after, I'll offer my services. Eclipse. Recruit, Science Police." Offering a better explanation, he states, "We are at war, and I'll do my part to see it through." His tone of voice suggests that Eclipse isn't just offering optimism and youthful dedication; he's simply unwavering and zealous in his pursuit of whatever is driving him.
RedBstrd
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Voidrazor » Wed Oct 24, 2012 11:43 pm

Rebis
HP: 1 Condition: balancing

Rebis eyes the newcomers, particularly Horus, with interest before turning to Kent. "For better or for worse ... I ... will follow the chain of command. In this case that would be following the Captain, Colonel?"
Voidrazor
Supporting Cast
Supporting Cast

Postby Bladewind » Thu Oct 25, 2012 5:50 pm

Metropolis - Starrware Tower
Dimensional Anchors - Dormant

Kent let's the exchange go on for a moment before raising a hand.

"Stop." He says, clearly not amused. From the way his subordinates turn slightly before continuing on with their tasks, it's not a tone he takes very often. "Captain Rogers, stand down. The same for the rest of you.

"Major."
He addresses the Amazon. "Your points are valid, and you did read their files. As have I. It's one thing to question their fitness for duty - I would question yours if you did not. But the Captain is right, there is a time and place - and a way - to do it.

"I doubt very much, however, that you question my fitness."
Some of the edge leaves his voice, and the dressing down that you might have expected is over before it begins. "There are two individuals working for the Augment program that are an asset beyond normal medical personnel. To protect them, they will remain unnamed. It is also why no mention appears in the files of these officers. Suffice to say, if these individuals cleared them, they are ready for duty.

"Does that satisfy your concern?"

You get the impression it is not a question.

"Having said that, I want you to look out for them in Lost Angels."

"I have a craft en route to join us, and the Paradigm Shifted individual I spoke of is arriving now."

While Kent finishes speaking, two men in lab coats carrying what look likeradiation readers arrive. One sets to examining the the confiscated staff, while the other clears his throat softly when Kent stops.

At about the same time, yet another individual arrives, wearing an obvious flight suit without a helmet.

OOC wrote:Horus, you may enter when ready.

As for the Secret, if you prefer, you can be one of the meta-physicists that just arrived.
Last edited by Bladewind on Thu Oct 25, 2012 6:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bladewind
Overlord
Overlord

Postby Bladewind » Thu Oct 25, 2012 6:23 pm

Street Level

Outside the building, while Kent addresses the team, a security force instinctively draw their weapons when the strange bird-like man touches down, seemingly talking to it - himself.

"Move and we shoot ! About half the contingent draws its weaponry.

"No wait! Kent radioed that he's expecting this guy?" Someone else call out.
Bladewind
Overlord
Overlord

Postby baixiwei » Thu Oct 25, 2012 6:38 pm

The Secret

The second scientist, after setting down an official-looking clipboard on the nearest table, approaches the group, offering Kent a salute. "Agent Constantine, reporting for duty, sir."

There's something sardonic in the man's tone - just enough for someone perceptive to notice, but not quite enough for anyone to take issue - and something not quite right about the salute, like a civilian imitating what it looks like in the movies. As the saluting hand passes back down over the man's face, it reveals a blank white mask covering his entire face - was that there before? The hand continues down to brush absentmindedly against a dirty-brown colored trench coat - wasn't he wearing a lab coat a moment ago? It must have been a trick of the light. It's already forgotten.

The man turns to Rogers and Prince. His mouth cannot be discerned to move beneath the white mask, nor are his eyes visible through the cavernous dark eyeholes. "I understand I'll be under your command, Major? It will be an honor, long-time admirer and all that." There's a trace of British accent - affected? Or faded after a long stay abroad? "Will you be briefing us on the mission?"
Baixiwei's Character Builds and Conversions

If only you could see what I've seen with your eyes.
baixiwei
Overlord
Overlord

Postby Bombaatu » Thu Oct 25, 2012 7:56 pm

Horus
HP: 1 - Cond: normal

"Move and we shoot ! About half the contingent draws its weaponry.

"See? That's what I was afraid of."

Horus considered the objects in the men's hands with a cool, emotionless expression, head cocking rapidly as he looked at each man in turn. "Those are guns... like bows but smaller and with a lot more power. I would really like to not know what it feels like to be shot by one."

"Fear not, my children, for I have returned as was promised. Put away your weapons for they are not needed and would avail you naught. Long and long has it been since last I soared in this world's pleasant skies. Would that we should reunite under more pleasant circumstance."
"No wait! Kent radioed that he's expecting this guy?" Someone else call out.

Horus fixed his unblinking gaze on the man that spoke. "YOU! Where is this 'Kent' of whom you speak?" The officer started to stammer a reply - "He's uhh... he's... oh, crap, it's looking at me.. *gulp* He's up..." Horus held up his hand in a silencing motion, twisting his head around to gaze at a pigeon that just landed. It coo'd for a couple seconds and begin to peck at the ground as pigeons are wont to do. Horus nodded as if in answer and cast his eyes towards the roof - there he could see swirling hawks and a drifting of cold-induced fog. "Upon the roof of this monument, you say? Thank you... feast well."

Horus spread his wings and launched himself into the air, each sweep of his wings thrusting him higher and higher. Clearing the roof's edge he could see the gathering of people and the aftermath of battle. "Some of those look like soldiers - the one in the armor appears to be the one in charge, but I really can't be sure."
Horus hovered a moment before touching down.
"My blessings upon you all. Who among you is 'Kent'?"
Bombaatu
Paragon
Paragon

Postby Adventure Dan » Fri Oct 26, 2012 12:05 am

Spider
HP: 2
CND: Normal

"Please show yourself."

Spider nearly jumped to the ceiling in fright when a sullen man clad in black seemingly materialized from the darkness; he introduced himself as Eclipse. Peter was able to suppress a nervous gulp, at least until another one of the new group members came forward. Agent Constantine, who with a wave of his hand produced a n eerie white mask devoid of any features (or did he have it on to start with?). The two men together put Spider off. THESE are who we'll be working with? Did the Science Police put up an ad in the paper? "WANTED: Creepy people to fight paradigm invasions. Trench coats will be provided."

The teenager pulls himself out of his thoughts to focus on the argument between American Amazon and Captain Rogers. Spider felt a tinge of guilt for his previous thoughts about Cyborg. There was no way for him to have known that Rogers and Stone were nearly killed in Lost Angels. Were Stone's robotic enhancements done in an effort to save his life? Peter had thought before that he volunteered to take part in the Science Police's new Six Billion Dollar Man project or something.

"If you think, for one instance that you are going to prevent me from returning to the Lost Angels to honor their sacrifice, you are sorely mistaken."

And right there, Spider emphasized completely with the Captain's case. The soldier stormed off, signaling for Cyborg and Rebis to join him; the former does so. Peter stepped up beside the Major, turning his head up to talk to the towering woman.

"You know, it may be hard to believe, but I think I understand exactly were Captain Rogers is coming from. About honoring those we've lost, I mean."

Peter was sitting in a psychiatric office across from a man in a black suit who scribbled furiously on the notepad in his hand. The boy had not yet been Augmented, and he was undergoing mental evaluation to prove whether or not he was fit to serve; they couldn't just hand out superpowers to anyone who asked for them, after all.

After shifting through some papers,the doctor said, "I see here that your aunt recently passed away." Crap. Peter was sure that this would come up. "May Reilly Parker-Jameson. Murder victim. Suspect still at large." He read the last part with a furrowed brow. He looked up to stare intently at Peter.

Here it comes...

"Son, why exactly do you want to be Augmented?"

Yep.

The teen looked down at his feet, unable to meet the eyes of the analyst. "I know what you're thinking," he started slowly. "That I'll take the Augmentation and run. Try to find my aunt's murderer and get revenge." Peter looked up, a fierce determination now in his moist eyes. He spoke more surely and louder, "But you're wrong. Do you know what it's like for someone you care for to die, and feel like it's your fault? To know that if you'd done something more, that person would still be with you? In that kind of situation, you can't even be angry at the killer; you can only be angry at yourself. I know that revenge will do nothing for me, because it's not him I'm angry at. I know that I can only honor my aunt's memory by becoming a greater person. By taking on a greater responsibility in this world.

"And I also know that you're just doing your job, but don't stop me from doing mine. I'm willing to go through all the battling. This is something I need to do, and who's got the right to stop me? Who's got the right..."

"...to tell him, 'No,'? Who? Nobody."
Adventure Dan
Cohort
Cohort

PreviousNext

Return to M&M Game Room