Mutants & Masterminds
HQ    ABOUT M&M    SUPER-VISION    GIMMICK'S GADGETS    M&M SUPERLINK    ATOMIC THINK TANK    M&M SHOP
Saving the world, one d20 roll at a time

Trinity (OOC: Recruitment Open! 1 spot)

This forum is the place for Mutants & Masterminds Play-By-Post games. Please read the M&M Game Room rules before starting or joining a game. Enjoy!

Re: Trinity (OOC)

Postby EPIC » Wed Sep 12, 2012 12:33 pm

Gonna guess because we were not yet in initiative and you couldn't legally prepare an action before you've actually had a turn?

If were to always prepare actions before init was rolled, it would be constant free attacks from the onset, which is against the spirit of the game.

But that's just my guess.

Also, yes Digital, it had bbc code, but it shows up in a whole banner.. which is kinda overkill, but still, it is what it is.
Last edited by EPIC on Wed Sep 12, 2012 12:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
EPIC
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby BS Digital Q » Wed Sep 12, 2012 12:37 pm

IIRC, Eldritch Bolt has Triggered on it, so I believe that is valid, assuming its a Free/Move action to do so (which I can't check until I get home this evening). I just overlooked that part of the post.

That said, shouldn't Sibyl have to roll an attack roll for that?

EDIT- Okay, based on what EPIC's telling me, its not a valid attack. Sorry Nine.
BS Digital Q
Partisan
Partisan

Location: BSDigitalQTV Studios, bargain basement of the airwaves!

Postby EPIC » Wed Sep 12, 2012 12:49 pm

Setting a triggered power requires the same action to use the power normally, though the trigger itset goes off as a reaction to the triggering condition being met. Any attack roll would technically not matter being made as the trigger is set or as the trigger goes off. I prefer personally as the trigger goes off to prevent any metagaming
EPIC
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Nineofspades » Wed Sep 12, 2012 12:53 pm

I'll spend a hero point to surge it. An then regain a hero point from your bumping Onslaught to the top of initiative. Valid Now?
Nineofspades
Luminary
Luminary

Postby EPIC » Wed Sep 12, 2012 12:56 pm

Is there a surge option to act out of turn in 3E?

The main problem with the action was trying to get in a free hit before your turn came up and jump the init order, thusbgetting two turns in one round effectively.

If there is a surge option to act out of turn, thay would work. But the only way i know to do that is using Seize initiative to go first, off hand that is.
EPIC
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby BS Digital Q » Wed Sep 12, 2012 12:59 pm

Well, without the book with me, I can't verify, but my current assumption is along EPIC's lines: only with Seize Initiative. I don't recall reading that a Hero Point could be used to get a standard action outside of an Initiative order.
BS Digital Q
Partisan
Partisan

Postby Nineofspades » Wed Sep 12, 2012 1:03 pm

Forget it then. This isn't worth the frusteration. It just ends up making Spellbinder look like an idiot for rushing in without a plan.
Nineofspades
Luminary
Luminary

Postby EPIC » Wed Sep 12, 2012 1:11 pm

Nineofspades wrote:Forget it then. This isn't worth the frusteration. It just ends up making Spellbinder look like an idiot for rushing in without a plan.

You mean like everyome else who didn't try to prepare an action before combat started?

You know preparing and triggered powers are obvious right? You were effectively sayimg we could talk it over while shoving a magic bolt under his nose. Well... actually, I think a triggered power gets a notice check.. but you said prepared.

In any case, we all landed amd waited for init to be rolled. It doesn't mean we don't have a plan, nor did we "rush in" any more than you aside from you landing a few steps away which is irrelevent since he went with big area attack, which makes sense given how outnumbered he is.

Seriously, she doesn't look like an idiot for the lack of having a string of attacks ready to go before battle even starts.
EPIC
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Nineofspades » Wed Sep 12, 2012 1:20 pm

No, an idiot for putting the spellcaster with minimal close range combat abilities, in melee range of the giant angry punching man. That Is what I was referring to.
Nineofspades
Luminary
Luminary

Postby EPIC » Wed Sep 12, 2012 1:22 pm

you did thst irregardless of the prepared attack. So she looks just as much an idiot you deem her to be on thay criteria because she landed there anyways whether the attack was valid or not.
EPIC
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby EPIC » Wed Sep 12, 2012 3:29 pm

Quick question: i assume all three effects, the damage, affliction and move object are all area effects... so would making the dodge check vs area not half the effect for all three?

Could I ask that you post the actual power you're using rather than just the dcs? It will make life much simpler since based on what you posted, I'm not fully convinced you have us making all the rolls we need here. (I think you missed saying what roll was needed for the area affliction, much less what the conditions for failing are)
EPIC
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby BS Digital Q » Wed Sep 12, 2012 3:44 pm

I was going off memory when I posted that. Figured I was missing something. Its a pretty involved effect. I'll edit in what I can verify now that I'm with my books.
BS Digital Q
Partisan
Partisan

Postby EPIC » Wed Sep 12, 2012 3:48 pm

Well, from what i figure, it three linked effects in an area. If that is correct, then the one dodge effect for the area would reduce the effect ranks for all three effects since you makes saves of the same type together, in this case, the three area dodge checks would be handled by a single dodge check for all three.
EPIC
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby BS Digital Q » Wed Sep 12, 2012 4:06 pm

Yeah thats pretty much right. Updated the post.
BS Digital Q
Partisan
Partisan

Postby BS Digital Q » Thu Sep 13, 2012 7:50 pm

Okay, seeing that everyone's posted, I'll get to posting up for Lightspeed tomorrow, then Techardt's turn.
BS Digital Q
Partisan
Partisan

PreviousNext

Return to M&M Game Room