Mutants & Masterminds
HQ    ABOUT M&M    SUPER-VISION    GIMMICK'S GADGETS    M&M SUPERLINK    ATOMIC THINK TANK    M&M SHOP
Saving the world, one d20 roll at a time

Trinity (OOC: Recruitment Open! 1 spot)

This forum is the place for Mutants & Masterminds Play-By-Post games. Please read the M&M Game Room rules before starting or joining a game. Enjoy!

Trinity (OOC: Recruitment Open! 1 spot)

Postby BS Digital Q » Mon Aug 27, 2012 11:28 am

TRINITY
Anyone who is familiar with comics may have noticed that there are certain notable trinities of characters. The most notable examples are Superman, Batman, and Wonder Woman for the Justice League, and over at the Avengers, Captain America, Iron Man, and Thor. The premise of this game is simple: the PCs are a trinity of characters. You are not just ordinary heroes you are THE three heroes. Iconic by yourselves, but together one of the most powerful fighting forces for justice in the world. All three of you are among the first heroes to show up, and every hero since your debut more or less has followed your example. You are close friends who have developed a strong bond between one another. You are a part of a larger Justice League/Avengers sort of team, but that group is built around the three of you. You are the core.

This game will be about your adventures together, with some solo action thrown in. It is meant to be epic and widescreen, in the vein of Grant Morrison’s JLA, the early years of the Authority, or JLU/Avengers: EMH at their best. Cinematic. A bit simplistic, but dramatic, accentuated by snappy banter and sarcastic wit (without going too far into unlikeability and assholishness), and a cool confidence (without becoming robotic or incapable of fear/concern).

Guidelines:
MnM Third Edition, with some pending houserules.

Looking for 3 characters. Ideally two males and a female, though if the characters are strong enough I can go for two female characters and one male, or a female, male, and someone with no clear gender identity.

There is no hard PL or PP limit. However, I am generally looking at a range between PL 12.5 and 14.5, and for PPs 250 to 300. Regarding PP, you do not need to be exactly at those limits: if your character ends up at 225 or 305, no sweat. But I’m not really gonna bother with characters who are at 180 or pushing 315 pp. These aren’t hard limits, so feel free to find your comfort zone. I’ll be looking for balance between all three characters though: I’ll be more inclined to choose a pairing of a PL15 costumed detective and a PL13 paragon versus a PL15 paragon and PL13 costumed detective, unless other factors balance them out for me, like PP total (i.e., the PL15 paragon is at 227pp, and the PL13 detective at 308pp, or if the PL13 character has a huge array but lacks the raw power of the PL15 character).

Whatever PL or PP you end up with, bear in mind that your character is one of “the best.” You may be the Fastest Man Alive, or the Unstoppable Juggernaut, or the World’s Greatest Detective. When you construct your character, think in these terms, though don’t think of them as absolutes (I.E., the Flash isn’t exactly the fastest man alive, the Juggernaut *has* been stopped before, and there are people who are better at aspects of detective work than Batman is).

The characters do not need to be pastiches. I’m not looking for a direct lift of the DC or Avengers trinities. The final selection of characters could be a martial artist, a brick, and a speedster, or they could be a gadgeteer, a mystic, and an energy controller. The characters can even cover multiple niches, and in fact I expect characters to cover a few bases (like an energy controller/paragon, a gadgeteer/psionic, or a mystic/battlesuit). Don’t limit yourself to a particular role, though make sure not to make your character too multitalented, so that the other two characters have room to be distinctive and excel in their own ways.

I want relatively short, simple bios, with room for addition. Two to three reasonably sized paragraphs is what I’m looking for, concisely explaining who the character is, why they do what they do, where they come from, and what their powers are. Once I have selected three characters, the players must work together to come up with an origin for the trinity of the characters and their relationship dynamic. I will take suggestions from submitters for who they would like to be partnered with, but only over PM.

I would like the submitters to also include a brief one paragraph description of an archnemesis for their character, and a list of other notable villains in the rogues gallery, with one to two sentences describing each one.

The members of the Trinity will be part of a larger team of heroes in the vein of the Justice League or Avengers. Suggestions and ideas are welcome as I develop these NPCs.

I’m looking at one week of character submission. I recommend interested parties submit more than one character concept/build, but it is not a requirement, just an ideal wish. I will give another week afterwards to decide on who I want and allow folks to tweak their characters. The game will begin as a one-shot arc; if things work out, we will continue from there.

Any questions or comments, ask them here or PM me. House rules are forthcoming. I am also looking for a backup GM, someone to help support me and even run the game if I must be gone for a period longer than a day or two.

HOUSE RULES
1. Skills are 3 ranks per pp.

2. No RAW Regeneration. Instead:
Regeneration
Cost: 4 per rank
Action: Reaction
Type: Defense
Duration: Permanent

You recover quickly from damage. After you take damage, on your next turn you may make a Regeneration check to recover from damage against DC 10. Each degree of success heals one Damage condition, starting with toughness penalties and then the subject's worst condition, working down from there. If the check fails, you may make another check on your next turn, unless the damage is Incurable. Regeneration is PL balanced against Toughness.

Basically, Healing with Reaction, Limited to Self.

3. Incurable is ranked. 1 ranks adds +1 to the Regeneration check DC, and checks can only be made every other round. 2 ranks adds +3, 3 ranks adds +5 and checks may only be made every 5 rounds, 4 ranks doubles it to 10 rounds. Incurable 5 on damage effects nullifies Regeneration unless the Persistent power advantage is taken.

4. Persistent is also ranked. 1 rank reduces the Incurable penalties by 1, 2 ranks by up to 3, 3 ranks by up to 5, and 4 ranks by up to 10. Persistent 5 completely negates all ranks of Incurable. Persistent only operates as a counter to Incurable, and does not in any way add to the Regeneration/Healing ranks or reduce the default DC.

5. Impervious works like in 3E, except effects higher than half the Impervious' ranks are reduced by half their rank, i.e., on Impervious 10, effects 6-10 are reduced to 3-5.

6. On Area effects: 1 or 2 degrees of success from a dodge halves damage; 3 degrees results in no damage.

7. Knockback occurs on a 2nd degree or more failure on Toughness checks. Distance is calculated as:
Damage Rank - Toughness Rank - Size Rank - Additional Modifiers

The Trinity are...
1. The Eternal (Neo-Paladin)
2. Spellbinder (Nineofspades)
3. Techardt (EPIC)
Last edited by BS Digital Q on Tue Sep 25, 2012 6:46 pm, edited 14 times in total.
BS Digital Q
Partisan
Partisan

Location: BSDigitalQTV Studios, bargain basement of the airwaves!

Re: Trinity (Interest)

Postby EnigmaticOne » Mon Aug 27, 2012 11:32 am

I'm definitely interested... going to have to give it some time and thought though. Actually, I'm probably going to submit different versions of some old PCs, 2-3... I like the idea.
Impeach the peach!

EnigmaticOne
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Belial666 » Mon Aug 27, 2012 12:05 pm

Definitely interested. Will think of something unusual to build by tomorrow.
Belial666
Mastermind
Mastermind

Postby Neo-Paladin » Mon Aug 27, 2012 12:50 pm

Interested as well. Do you want several fully föeshed out sheets or basic concepts pitched at you first?
Neo-Paladin
Overlord
Overlord

Postby BS Digital Q » Mon Aug 27, 2012 12:55 pm

Neo-Paladin wrote:Interested as well. Do you want several fully föeshed out sheets or basic concepts pitched at you first?
Either way is fine. Having several sheets will make my decision take longer, but it'll be give me a better way of gauging which characters I like than a concept pitch. I just don't want mega long bios thrown at me. I read an old recruitment thread for an Authority-style game on another board, and it was a nightmare to read because every concept being pitched was practically essay or even dissertation-length.
BS Digital Q
Partisan
Partisan

Postby Shadow13 » Mon Aug 27, 2012 12:59 pm

This sounds good, I have a couple concepts I could pitch. Now just have to decide what build n backstory I want to use.
[url=http://militarysignatures.com][img]http://militarysignatures.com/signatures/member13977.png[/img][/url]
Shadow13
Zealot
Zealot

Postby Neo-Paladin » Mon Aug 27, 2012 1:04 pm

Pshew...that will take some time :)
Neo-Paladin
Overlord
Overlord

Postby Nineofspades » Mon Aug 27, 2012 1:09 pm

I'm totally up for this. Smaller groups are far more entertaining to play than larger groups, In my opinion. It means each character needs to be interesting and engaging. So, once you open this up to start submitting builds, I'll jump right in.
Nineofspades
Luminary
Luminary

Postby BS Digital Q » Mon Aug 27, 2012 1:13 pm

Okay, enough interest has been generated that I am opening this up for recruitment.

Hopefully, this will vindicate some of my past efforts. :lol:
BS Digital Q
Partisan
Partisan

Postby Mark Reuter » Mon Aug 27, 2012 1:13 pm

I would be interested as well. I will probably submit a speedster and perhaps a mystic. Perhaps a mystic speedster. Hmmmmmm......
Mark Reuter
Overlord
Overlord

Postby MrMellow » Mon Aug 27, 2012 1:15 pm

Doesn't matter whether if one plays or not; I'll be looking forward toward the reading.
“That all men are equal is a proposition to which, at ordinary times, no sane human being has ever given his assent.”
MrMellow
Sidekick
Sidekick

Postby EnigmaticOne » Mon Aug 27, 2012 1:41 pm

Ok, here's my first one. I may add more to the Rogue's Gallery though.
--

JORDAN EON - PL 13, 279 pp

Abilities
Strength 1, Stamina 3, Agility 2, Dexterity 2, Fighting 2, Intellect 5, Awareness 5, Presence 2

Advantages
Artificer, Ritualist, Close Attack 8, Ranged Attack 8, Power Attack, Defensive Attack, Evasion, Instant Up, Luck 3, Languages 4, Improved Initiative 3, Uncanny Dodge, Takedown 2, Taunt, Quick Draw, Move by Action, Improved Tools, Well-Informed, Contacts, Assessment, Skill Mastery (Expertise: Magic), Skill Mastery (Insight), Skill Mastery (Perception), Skill Mastery (Deception)

Languages
English [native], Spanish, Chinese, Japanese, French, Arabic, Russian, German

Skills
Athletics 9 (+10), Deception 12 (+14), Expertise: Magic 18 (+23), Insight 10 (+15), Investigation 9 (+14), Perception 10 (+15), Persuasion 8 (+10), Stealth 13 (+15), Vehicles 8 (+10)

Powers
Traveler of the Multiverse: Immunity 1 (Aging); Movement 6 (Dimension Travel 3, Time Travel 3) [Descriptors: Temporal]
Imbued Clothing: Protection 9 (Subtle 2) [Descriptors: Magical]
Daedalus Wing Harness: Flight 9 [Descriptors: Technological, Magical, Divine]
Amulet of Safe Being: Immunity 10 (Life Support) [Descriptors: Magical]
Magic-Sensing Spectacles: Senses 7 (Accurate, Acute, Analytical, Counters Illusion Magic Awareness) [Descriptors: Magical]

Multiverse Magical Arsenal (57 Array of points + 2 Alt Effects)
- The Sword of Gabriel: Damage 14 (Accurate 1, Multiattack) Linked to Cumulative Affliction 14 (Resisted by Will; Visually Impaired, Visually Disabled, Visually Unaware) [Descriptors: Divine, Magical, Light]
- The Black Kusanagi: Damage 12 (Accurate 2) Linked to Weaken Toughness 12 (Resisted by Fortitude; Affect Objects, Incurable) Linked to Affliction 12 (Resisted by Fortitude; Dazed and Hindered, Defenseless and Immobile; Limited to Two Degrees, Extra Condition) [Descriptors: Darkness, Magical]
- Staff of Ka'Leh: Ranged Damage 16 Linked to Ranged Affliction 12 (Resisted by Fortitude; Dazed] Stunned, Incapacitated)[Descriptors: Magical, Cosmic]

Defenses
Dodge 14, Parry 14, Fortitude 13, Toughness 12, Will 13

Offense
Initiative +14

Power Points
Abilities 44 + Powers 118 + Advantages 46 + Skills 29 (87 ranks) + Defenses 42 = 279

Complications
Motivation- Thrills: Jordan is a good person on the whole, but she became a superhero because it was even more challenging and fun than her previous time-space travels and thievery.
Relationships: Jordan is a long-time ally of [insert the PCs and NPC team here]
Shiny Things: Though she is in collection size, richer than a million collectors, Jordan remains tempted when finding a weapon or item that draws her interest.
Fame: One of the world's greatest heroes.
Enemies: See Rogues' Gallery.

Background

Jordan Eon was a time-space traveling and dimension hopping adventurer who wasn't that bad despite a habit of taking with her souvenirs... some of them stolen. These tended to be items of mystical, holy, more than mundane nature. Since she had grown up bored in a technological utopia, magic and the arcane mysteries had drawn her preference over cold, mundane

After a particularly harrowing escape from a holy dimension equivalent to Heaven (Jordan had poached the Sword of Gabriel, you see), time, she arrived in this Earth and went to ground with a small cache of resources which she made into a base beneath Mexico City. Observing the state of the city, and having seen previous worlds with superheroes and supervillains, she remembered how the near constant battles were like a constant source of adrenaline and effort. Plus there were more goodies that she could confiscate from the villains, all these reasons encouraging her to take up the mantle of the 'cape.'

Powers: Jordan Eon has the power to 'bend' time and space enough to allow herself to travel through dimensions and time, basically full access to the multiverse, and through a painstaking amount of effort fashioned and controls an extra-dimensional stasis bubble, which contains a staggering array of weapons and other items, magically-empowered in some manner. Her travel acquisitions are of such size that Jordan has displayed only a tiny fraction in use in her career. Incidentally, she does not age either.

Rogues Gallery:
Vladimir Mendez: Dracula, was not the first vampire, but remains certainly one of the most powerful in existence. Unlike many other Draculas, the one going by Vladimir Mendez has played the subtle game. Having set up shop as a reclusive but very wealthy tycoon in Mexico City, Jordan and he soon picked out each other for potential threats. Unfortunately, Vlad is a veritable Lex Luthor in terms of money, connections, and legal support, plus his own powers - so neither one has triumphed over the other.

Speed Devil: A speedster who has little more ambition than powered thievery, Speed Devil is still incredibly fast and like a bad penny, keeps turning up.

Prospero: An aging wizard with a penchant for speaking 'Shakespearean' style and possessing dark magic.

The Chrono King: Another time traveler like Jordan, the King comes from a far future timeline, and has tried to conquer this 'primitive' era. Unlike her, he focuses on the use of technology.
Last edited by EnigmaticOne on Sat Sep 22, 2012 11:19 am, edited 5 times in total.
Impeach the peach!

EnigmaticOne
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Re: Trinity (3e: Open for Recruitment)

Postby BS Digital Q » Mon Aug 27, 2012 1:42 pm

Also, a personal request from me: when folks start posting character concepts/builds, please, for the love of god, do not use an image of a character from an anime, videogame, or some sort of photograph. I've found this practice by some builders to be personally annoying, as it takes me out of the experience of imagining them as a unique, living breathing character. That, and I can't really reconcile the differents aesthetics from superheroes. Thanks.
BS Digital Q
Partisan
Partisan

Re: Trinity (3e: Open for Recruitment)

Postby Nineofspades » Mon Aug 27, 2012 1:48 pm

I'm thinking of doing an Archmage/Sorcereress Supreme character. My thought was that the character would have been an Apprentice to Merlin, and after his death, taken up the roll as Protector of all magic, and since served in that Position for the past few hundred years.
Nineofspades
Luminary
Luminary

Postby badpenny » Mon Aug 27, 2012 2:39 pm

- withdrawn -
Last edited by badpenny on Sun Sep 30, 2012 9:20 am, edited 3 times in total.
badpenny
Overlord
Overlord

Next

Return to M&M Game Room