Mutants & Masterminds
HQ    ABOUT M&M    SUPER-VISION    GIMMICK'S GADGETS    M&M SUPERLINK    ATOMIC THINK TANK    M&M SHOP
Saving the world, one d20 roll at a time

Trinity (OOC: Recruitment Open! 1 spot)

This forum is the place for Mutants & Masterminds Play-By-Post games. Please read the M&M Game Room rules before starting or joining a game. Enjoy!

Moderators: The Mod Squad, The Justice League

Re: Trinity (OOC)

Postby BS Digital Q » Tue Sep 25, 2012 6:45 pm

Well, I'll give it my best tomorrow.

Also! I am opening up recruitment!

I am looking for 1 female mystic/mystically themed blaster/utility character to replace Sibyl/Spellbinder. For those interested, guidelines are in the opening post.
BS Digital Q
Partisan
Partisan

Location: BSDigitalQTV Studios, bargain basement of the airwaves!

Re: Trinity (OOC: Recruitment Open! 1 spot)

Postby Nineofspades » Sat Sep 29, 2012 11:35 am

Ya, Sorry for disappearing. Things in RL got kind of hectic and I just couldn't manage any time to get on here. I totally understand bumping Sibyl, and just wanted to let you know there are no hard feelings.
Nineofspades
Luminary
Luminary

Postby Shock » Sat Sep 29, 2012 9:18 pm

I think I could get into this. I'm thinking of a sorceress who died and had to make a deal with the devil to come back to life.
Shock
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby kenmadragon » Sat Sep 29, 2012 10:03 pm

Hmn...I would be willing to fill the position, but am wondering if the caster HAS to be female. I already have a male caster in the works, a spell casting prodigy originally for freedom city that I can rework to the setting you have here.

As to my case for a male third person, I can pull the precedence of the Marvel Avenger's Trinity, which are male: Iron Man, Thor, Captain America. As I see it, Techardt could be the Iron Man, The Eternal could be the Captain America, and Crescent could be the Thor. That and your example of the Russian knights being a trinity also shows three males. Thus, gender is not that big of an issue. But if it makes a big deal, I have described Teddy as somewhat effeminate looking.

Link to Character Sheet: Mechanics in the works, brining Crescent from PL 10 to 14, then going to revise the entire backstory, making him older, and more well known, maybe including a few enemies for complications.
http://www.atomicthinktank.com/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=45403&p=1050356#p1050356

Name: Crescent
Identity: Secret
Occupation: Master Magician, High Wizard, Lord of the Silver Moon Sanctum
Base of Operations: Silver Moon Sanctum
Height: 6'
Weight: 154 lbs
Eyes: Black (Green flashes when using magic)
Hair: Black

Background: Theodore Moon isn't your average mid-twenties adult. Few know the reclusive librarian of the New York Public Library, fewer know the truth about him. Theodore Moon, Teddy to those close to him, was a child prodigy, with a highly gifted mind. Ever since he was a young boy, he had been able to stump his teachers with his intuition and understanding of the natural world's laws, and had this strange sense to him. It wasn't till he was 7 years of age that even Teddy came to understand what he was capable of. Teddy was a great sorcerer, a wizard of high caliber in the making. He began to experiment as a child, and found he was capable of incredible feats of magic. He began to take school more lightly as he secretively turned his attention inward, to learn more about magic and understand what it was that made him so magical. He began to play hooky from school every now and then, to wander the stranger streets of New York, searching for a place where he might find answers. He found a plethora of knowledge, hiding in the streets of the city. In a world where men used technology for their everyday lives, finding those versed in the arts of magic was difficult. Yet Teddy, the enterprising child found them. He learned from ancient seers and fortune tellers, from traveling Indian fakirs, from the street performers and master of mystic legerdemain, he listened to occultists and sorcerers discuss magic on the streets, and gained knowledge all the while. He began to realize that he was much more powerful than all of them, and feared waking what might be a sleeping giant within him. Nevertheless, he saw that he would need to be free of his obligations to school and his family, and devote himself to mastering his abilities. He proceeded to use magic to aid him in his studies, and graduated from high school when he was 15.

After he was freed of the need for school, Teddy began to travel the world, seeking lore and knowledge about the mystic arts and everything pertaining to them. His travels lead him to the strangest of places, the catacombs of an Indian city, the peaks of the Himalayas, the wild jungles of the Amazon, the African bush, the Arctic Circle, the ancient tombs of Egyptian pharaohs, the Acropolis of Athens, everywhere where myths of magic thrived. It was in one of these places that Teddy found what he was looking for. He was in England, searching for the lost isle of Avalon, in hopes that the legendary Green Knight would have the answers he was searching for. He did not find the fabled isle, though it was the supposed head quarters of a Mistress of Magic by the name of Sibyl Spellbinder. Instead, he found himself walking though a small countryside village, when he met a rather strange lady. He could feel immense magical power from her, but she had apparently suppressed it to approach him. "I can sense a great power from you...ancient..." The cryptic woman warned. Teddy turned to face her, curiosity apparent. He hoped that she would have the answers he sought, but after years of travel, he was skeptical. "Ancient?" He scoffed. "Why...I'm only eighteen years old!" "Not age...you have the powers of an ancient sorcerer...a sorcerer I have not seen in centuries...You have his gifts..." the lady responded. Curiosity took over Teddy, who responded, "Whose gifts? Who am I?" The old lady paused. "You are my former master, reborn in mortal form. Or, you at least have his powers. Your gifts, they are those of the ancient sorcerer of King Arthur's court, the famed Merlin the Magician! You have his powers! Centuries after his death, you finally come to be his successor!" The lady laughed strangely, but joyously. Teddy, overwhelmed, stepped away, and gave it a moments consideration. It made no real sense. Sure, Merlin had been one of the first Master Magicians, but Teddy? His successor? It made little sense. Nevertheless, the old woman clearly had the gift of magic, and was powerful to boot. Perhaps there was some truth to her words. Teddy wasn't sure of being the incarnation of Merlin, but his successor? Perhaps that could be his purpose.

Theodore Moon decided that he was done wandering. Though he was still unsure of the truth of the lady's words, he decided that he would nevertheless succeed Merlin, and become Master Magician of his world. He established himself in his newfound home, the Sanctum of the Silver Moon, a castle that resided in a private pocket dimension, and decided to become a hero. To become Master Magician, he needed the public's approval. But he couldn't risk his family being hurt by his actions. None of them had his gifts, and if he made any enemies, he didn't want them to get hurt. So Theodore Moon decided to adopt an alter ego. He returned to New York City, and got himself an easy and flexible job at a library. Then, at night he adopted the guise of the costumed magician. Cresent. The growing moon, the Crescent became his name. For years he combated evil and vile magics, parlaying with beings from other worlds and dimensions, keeping the order in the world, and guarding it against mystical threats that the world could not handle. He guarded the dimensional gates, and defeated several mystic villains. For a while, he was an unknown hero, a rumor among the occult fanatics, a whisper of a strange hero in the public ear, no one of consequence. It wasn't until Crescent found himself face to face with Professor Blackburne, a demonologist and necromancer of significant power, who managed to bring the undead demon prince, Orcus, from the Abyss to wreak havoc to the world. As Orcus attacked the world, Crescent was seen battling the beast, and with the news coverage of the entire debacle, Crescent's masked face was plastered all over the world. The strange, powerful superhero. Few bothered to understand what his powers were or who he was, but the knowledge of a hero was out there, and the name came up from the rumors that suddenly had credence. Crescent. His exploits in beating the Demon Prince back to the Abyss also earned Crescent a reputation with otherworldly beings, and Teddy found that he had become a celebrity in his world. He sought out several powerful beings, those who had benefited from his banishment of Orcus back ot the Abyss, and had them make his name less known. Though the name Crescent was still heard in rumors, his face was obscured, and his fame decreased. He became a reclusive hero once more. The media did not pester him as much, though he never lost his notoriety with the magically inclined, and other heroes began to take notice of the power of the young magician.

After a few years, Crescent was recruited and invited to be a part of a superhero team, Vigilance. After serious thought, Crescent accepted. Though he wielded mighty magics, he was still mortal, and recognized the value of being part of a team. Even the mightiest of magicians needed friends to aid them, and Crescent was no exception. He became a part of Vigilance, and protected the world with his new friends, both from otherworldly forces, and from the world itself.
Last edited by kenmadragon on Sun Sep 30, 2012 8:24 pm, edited 3 times in total.
kenmadragon
Mastermind
Mastermind

Postby Mark Reuter » Sun Sep 30, 2012 8:58 am

Name: Arkane
Public Identity: Arianna Kane
PL: 14

Arianna Kane is a 26 year-old archaeologist who inherits two artifacts from ancient Egypt that imbue her with great magical power. MOSAIC (Medallion of Secrets and Infinite Conjurations) is a sentient necklace that rapidly imprinted on her, teaching her the secrets of wielding magical power and altering her body to withstand the rigors of spellcasting. More to follow.
Mark Reuter
Overlord
Overlord

Postby CelticREI » Sun Sep 30, 2012 8:16 pm

How about a spellcaster that though her magic is that of horrors, she uses it to battle that which she summons?

Been re-reading "Chainer's Torment" a Magic the Gathering novel and thought having a Dementia Summoner as a good guy could be really fun ^_^
*Owl throws down a smoke pellet to cover escape*
*FLUME OF SLEEP GAS*
*THUD*
Owl: "zzzzzzzzzZZZZZzzz"
Batman: *facepalm*

GM - The Organization On Hold
Celt's Builds, and characters for other games
CelticREI
Luminary
Luminary

Postby BS Digital Q » Mon Oct 01, 2012 9:58 am

Nineofspades wrote:Ya, Sorry for disappearing. Things in RL got kind of hectic and I just couldn't manage any time to get on here. I totally understand bumping Sibyl, and just wanted to let you know there are no hard feelings.
Welcome back. Know how it feels, as I'm going through my own rough patch right now, thanks to midterms, which has really thrown off my creative ability big time.

If you still want to be in this game, let me know.
BS Digital Q
Partisan
Partisan

Location: BSDigitalQTV Studios, bargain basement of the airwaves!

Postby Nineofspades » Mon Oct 01, 2012 12:18 pm

If you'll still have me, I'll stay in.
Nineofspades
Luminary
Luminary

Postby EPIC » Mon Oct 01, 2012 2:56 pm

Noce illusion... devious, but clever.

I think you need to make a mond reading check to create an illusion from his memory though "as he was before he had powers".
EPIC
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Nineofspades » Mon Oct 01, 2012 5:42 pm

got the psychic extra on my illusions, which, if I'm reading it right, means that I can leave an illusion 'open' and have the targets mind fill in the extra details. I didn't think a check was needed.
Nineofspades
Luminary
Luminary

Postby EPIC » Mon Oct 01, 2012 6:38 pm

You're half right. The means by which you come to the results of what the extra does is simply descriptor, whether it's him filling in the gaps you consciously doing it. The point is the extra adds a roll to do what you wish to do, making him see what you want him to expect to see..

Yeah...looking back on that..doesn't make a great deal of sense. In the context in which you are using the power, I'm not even fully sure you can USE illusion the way you are. Create illusions they expect to see..I'm certain he doesn't expect to see himself as reverted to when he had no powers unless otherwise tricked into thinking that's what has happened... kind of a double bind there.

Anyways, here's the extra in any case. the bold part is what you missed.

Psychic: You can “tailor” Illusions with this modifier,
creating just what the subject expects to perceive. In
particular, this power lets you create illusions based on
information known to the subject but not to you, such
as the voice or appearance of a loved one, or the impression
that you have proper documentation or authorization
in-hand. Treat the modifier rank as a Mind
Reading rank (Hero’s Handbook, page 117) and make
an opposed check (modifier rank versus target’s Will)
to determine the degree of information. You can only
“read” information from a subject in order to create an
illusion, although you could potentially (with the right
illusion power) create projected “shows” of a subject’s
thoughts or memories.
A well-placed illusion generally
grants a circumstance bonus for related skill checks,
particularly interaction skills, and may void the need
for a check altogether in some circumstances (such as
appearing to be an authorized person or carrying the
proper ID). +1 cost per rank.
EPIC
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Nineofspades » Wed Oct 03, 2012 3:40 pm

Nineofspades
Luminary
Luminary

Postby Neo-Paladin » Thu Oct 04, 2012 1:50 pm

Ok, is the GM still with us? I am not ready to give up on the game yet!
Neo-Paladin
Overlord
Overlord

Previous

Return to M&M Game Room