Mutants & Masterminds
HQ    ABOUT M&M    SUPER-VISION    GIMMICK'S GADGETS    M&M SUPERLINK    ATOMIC THINK TANK    M&M SHOP
Saving the world, one d20 roll at a time

2E Martial Arts Game (Interest)

This forum is the place for Mutants & Masterminds Play-By-Post games. Please read the M&M Game Room rules before starting or joining a game. Enjoy!

Re: 2E Martial Arts Game (Recruiting)

Postby speeddemon » Wed Sep 26, 2012 10:58 pm

Sorry for going to quick and saying this was a recruitment thread, I'll change it to interest.
speeddemon
Champion
Champion

Re: 2E Martial Arts Game (Interest)

Postby Hyoseph » Thu Sep 27, 2012 8:11 am

When the time comes that I actualy put this together I will be posting a full on recrutiement thread. For now Im happy to discuss characters, the campaign world and ideas for stories and history that might fill the world or come into play.

Any thoughts on the one I put together?
I'm kinda waiting for some kind of feedback before I put finishing touches on it or start over.

~H
Hyoseph
Bystander
Bystander

Postby catsi563 » Thu Sep 27, 2012 11:02 am

the basics seem ok.

what i notice game wise is the following. the tone might need to be drawn down just a little less monster more fighter persay. Think Streetfighter the video game as the top level as how brutal it is. Sure Zangief might drop you on your noggin but worst case youll end up in the hospital for a day or so and be out in no time.

A Fighter who specilizes in utter savagery that leaves opponents in stiches or specifcally in need of them would rapidly fall as more powerful streetfighters got involved, or someone like Bison came into the scene and said "hey buddy i like your style come work for me... whether you want to or not."

this is not to say mind you that a brutal straight forward style of fighting is a no sell. Muay Thai sagats style isnt exactly a game of patty cake.

Also hes got zero interpersonal or out of ring skills. And in many games i run especialy one fo this nature those always count. not syaing he has to be picasso, or bach, or julia childs or anything but every person picks up knowledge outside of training.

thats what i have so far.
Dr. Silverback has wryly observed that this is like trying to teach lolcats about Shakespeare

The Litterbox

http://www.fanfiction.net/~catsi563
catsi563
Cosmic Scion
Cosmic Scion

Postby kenmadragon » Thu Sep 27, 2012 12:12 pm

That's why I gave Shankar a couple ranks in Medicine. Sure he isn't brilliant, but with a decent understanding of the human body in his martial arts, he can apply it to actual biology and his studies. That and he is still a teenager in school, so he doesn't have high levels of training in too many subjects, so I didn't bother putting ranks into them. He does have a colorful personality, which I figure I can use instead of needing stats like deception. Rather make friends like normal people, than using high leveled stats to force a situation with a roll.
kenmadragon
Mastermind
Mastermind

Postby catsi563 » Thu Sep 27, 2012 12:22 pm

its ok to have a skill thats very good even when young. think of Rin from Blue Exorcist as an example. Fairly typical high schooler--for the son of satan and a slacker-- but an exceptional cook or professional caliber.
Dr. Silverback has wryly observed that this is like trying to teach lolcats about Shakespeare

The Litterbox

catsi563
Cosmic Scion
Cosmic Scion

Postby Nillaman » Fri Sep 28, 2012 10:03 am

I'm thinking of playing up the old sterotype of the martial arts master performing a fairly ordinary job as part of the way he supports himself. In this case, he's not a bartender or a fisherman or a gambler.

He's an accountant.

And his fighting style reflects this choice of job. Originally it was developed to allow merchants to defend themselves against assassins, even when they had to be seen without visible arms or armor. The goal, in the end, is to subdue your attacker without staining your fine silks or causing a scene that might upset your guests.

Ladies, Gentleman, I present the last known student of the Humble Courtier School, Richard Toshiro.
Roster: http://www.atomicthinktank.com/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=47345

Zork is the best onomatopoeia in the world.
Nillaman
Firebrand
Firebrand

Postby Spectrum » Fri Sep 28, 2012 10:20 am

Unfortunately, this style has one fatal, criticial flaw if the opponent knows to look for it. The style tends to attack strictly on the left hand and defend using the right, or vice versa depending on which kata is being used.
Spectrum
Titan
Titan

Postby Nillaman » Sat Sep 29, 2012 9:20 am

Those struck by the legendary secret technique of this style are said to experience a loss of nobility, grace, fortune, and favor with the courts for a full century after being struck. This also applies to all those descended from this person, ensuring that the shame of defeat shall not simply end because the opponent ends their life.
Roster: http://www.atomicthinktank.com/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=47345

Zork is the best onomatopoeia in the world.
Nillaman
Firebrand
Firebrand

Postby Hyoseph » Wed Oct 03, 2012 1:10 pm

Sorry about the delayed response, I'll be working up a new-ish design.

What are your thoughts on weapons?

I'm mainly looking at Vega here and most of the Soul Calibur cast here. Are we handwaving their damage to be akin to getting punched or are they generally not wanted in the game? :)
Hyoseph
Bystander
Bystander

Postby catsi563 » Wed Oct 03, 2012 3:00 pm

weapons users are like Vega and Roland and a few others are few and far between.

theu tend to be limited to the Freestyle rankings (where ironically most of the world warrior tourney takes place)) and only in actual weapons tournaments in the Traditional division.

the tradional divisions are where your usual boxing, MMA and the like happen. Opponents are for the most part 90+% human with no enhancements, and little to no chi ability. Fighters are expected to win on skill and raw abilitiy alone and lose face and honor is they fight beyond those rules. the Kumite from Bloodsport and the last fight in Kickboxer are exmples of the traditional fights.

the freestyle is where things get funky, heres where you start running into grizzly bears that talk shakespear while they maul you. Cyborgs with an electric punch and samurai and ninja throwing shuriken and the like. heres where people start chucking fireballs and sonic booms and wearing battlesuits like C. Vipers.

In short anything goes and while death is VERY Frowned upon it is not unheard of.

Still tone wise the game is more comic nooky not mortal kombat and while someone who gets beaten by vega is likely to look like they had a run in with the business end of a cheese grater they are likely to survive.

in short deaths are most often used as a plot element then an actual in game occurence. a fighter who developed a reputation for lethality would rapidly find himself in traction and possibly in the grave himself depending on which world warrior caught up with him.

basicaly the unwritten rule of the ring is a sort of golden rule. the line is where you draw it, and if you cross it you have no room to complain when your opponent crosses it to get you.

The Litterbox

catsi563
Cosmic Scion
Cosmic Scion

Postby Spectrum » Wed Oct 03, 2012 3:08 pm

Catsi,

I know we're still a fair distance from a campaign.. and *shudder* its 2E, but did you have any thoughts on the telekinetic taiji (tai chi) master? My sifu's taiji sifu was in the school on Monday night and it was incredible to watch.
Spectrum
Titan
Titan

Postby catsi563 » Wed Oct 03, 2012 3:22 pm

No specific objections persay. Taichi is after all based on a root style of kung fu that sped up and applied correctly becomes a strong defencive style.

the tricky part would be balancing how much the character is able to dribble his opponent in a match and how could an opponent get his hands on the character. if an opponent cant touch your character then is broken and would have to be disallowed.

but if they can ko him as any opponent then its open for discussion and development,

The Litterbox

catsi563
Cosmic Scion
Cosmic Scion

Previous

Return to M&M Game Room