Mutants & Masterminds
HQ    ABOUT M&M    SUPER-VISION    GIMMICK'S GADGETS    M&M SUPERLINK    ATOMIC THINK TANK    M&M SHOP
Saving the world, one d20 roll at a time

Paradigm Shift: OOC

This forum is the place for Mutants & Masterminds Play-By-Post games. Please read the M&M Game Room rules before starting or joining a game. Enjoy!

Re: Paradigm Shift: OOC

Postby Bladewind » Thu Oct 25, 2012 4:27 am

Oi.

Last night, about thirteen hours ago, I finished homework with the kids an and decided to lie down for a few minutes.

That was THIRTEEN hours ago... needless to say I am behind everywhere...

My plan is to post as characters to the games i am in (OOC as well if needed).
Then I will post to the game i have going.
Then i will post here.
Last edited by Bladewind on Thu Oct 25, 2012 12:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bladewind
Overlord
Overlord

Postby Bladewind » Thu Oct 25, 2012 7:11 am

Lord Fell wrote: :arrow: Well, I like the idea that Diana's military rank was Major.
:arrow: To maintain the correct military rank, I think the easiest thing to do is change her organization to Marines from Navy. I don't really have a strong notion of how the two are different, but if there is such a thing as a Marine Pilot, then I'm down with that.

As to the specific organization to which Diana has been recommissioned to, I'd still like to put the ball into your court.

So... you're the GM, your job is to adjudicate... so... adjudicate. :P
[/i]

Um, in truth, military rank wasn`t something high on the list of my priorities. I did not want a character becoming de facto leader due to a naming choice not related to a quantifiable ability.

Carol Danvers is/ was SHIELD and was your handler. She could easily be part of two organizations.

Don`t change your posts. It makes no sense to do so.

For future reference: Amazon is a Major in the Marines, currently on Special Assignment to SHIELD.
Bladewind
Overlord
Overlord

Postby Lord Fell » Thu Oct 25, 2012 10:34 am

@Zen Gypsy
Well... being all hostile isn't going to improve forward progress. We might need to retcon my post or something, just to get us to a playable point.

When I posted for Amazon, I was merely posting as appropriately as possible from her point of view. Just as your post having Rogers storm off was also appropriate as possible from his point of view. Of course, that also blocks forward progress here. I mean, can we discuss and resolve this? No, Rogers has excused himself. So there we are.

Now... what I said (here in OOC) is that the only real post I can make regarding Rogers and Stone via IC, is "told you so." You'll note that I didn't make that post. There would be no reason to do so. It would not be helpful, I did not make that post. This "dick move" you speak of, is one that I'm specifically not making.
aside: Why are you willing to say dick, but not cock? One's short for Richard, one's a male bird, both are euphemistic of penis... and I'm not going to be offended by either. Whatever...

Anyways... maybe my problem is in what I believe Diana's reasonable perception of Stone & Roger's history is. What I'm thinking (from what I've read of your histories) Steve and Vic walked into an ambush, their unit was completely massacred, Rogers was blinded, and half of Vic's body was vaporized, and it took two days to crawl their way back to safety. My sense of the time-line, is that this happened less than two months ago. Now, Diana has seen combat, she's been in command... looking at that history, she is just not going to believe that Rogers and Stone are going to be psychologically ready for combat. I'm thinking Diana would look at a psych report and disbelieve a clean bill of health. She's seen combat, and probably lost partners... but can't imagine suffering that kind of trauma and losing an entire unit at the same time.

Maybe my perception of that is off (or maybe the details need to be adjusted a bit).

Anyways... I'm willing to do some jumping through hoops to get this sorted out, and we might need to do some retcon, starting with my post.
Lord Fell
Overlord
Overlord

Postby Bladewind » Thu Oct 25, 2012 10:37 am

Thanks for that Fell.

I did the first few things on my plans - namely got myself caught up to where I want to be in the games I`m playing in.

This one requires just a wee bit more concentration and detail to move forward... It will have to be done this evening. Considering I slept 13 hours last night so I should be able to stay alert enough to post tonight ! :mrgreen:
Bladewind
Overlord
Overlord

Postby RedBstrd » Thu Oct 25, 2012 11:41 am

One solution would just be to have Amazon's superior officer pull rank and just tell her to swallow her reservations. Alternately, Kent could suggest that Eclipse's power of minds could help someone snap out of a mental panic if things go wrong. Eclipse could recommend it himself for IC reasons, but he's the new guy and it would be a little presumptuous, even for him.
RedBstrd
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby RedBstrd » Thu Oct 25, 2012 11:42 am

Bladewind wrote:Oi.

That was THIRTEEN hours ago...

Epic! 8)
RedBstrd
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Walking Dad » Thu Oct 25, 2012 12:27 pm

Lord Fell wrote:...

Anyways... maybe my problem is in what I believe Diana's reasonable perception of Stone & Roger's history is. What I'm thinking (from what I've read of your histories) Steve and Vic walked into an ambush, their unit was completely massacred, Rogers was blinded, and half of Vic's body was vaporized, and it took two days to crawl their way back to safety. My sense of the time-line, is that this happened less than two months ago. Now, Diana has seen combat, she's been in command... looking at that history, she is just not going to believe that Rogers and Stone are going to be psychologically ready for combat. I'm thinking Diana would look at a psych report and disbelieve a clean bill of health. She's seen combat, and probably lost partners... but can't imagine suffering that kind of trauma and losing an entire unit at the same time.

Why did she even had to know the contents of the debriefing? I'm not sure how open Rogers' part is, but Cyborg's needs Purple level clearance, not something I would assume a Major from another military branch to have.
And Rogers left after Amazon questioned openly Kent's orders.
English isn't my native language. Have patience, please.

WD's PbP characters (3e)
Martian Manhunter builds
Walking Dad
Luminary
Luminary

Postby Lord Fell » Thu Oct 25, 2012 3:04 pm

I have no idea what "Rank" of Security Clearance "Purple" would require. Regardless, Diana has Security Clearance, and multiple avenues of government agencies to follow leads through. My first IC post I indicated that she'd done a search and had a look at your files. I wasn't contradicted, so I assumed that was canon. We'd pretty much need to retcon back to the first page to change that.

Pretty much every one of my posts where Diana needs to interact with Rogers I've added her reluctance regarding his fitness for duty, even if she didn't question him during Action, she was absolutely thinking about whether Rogers should be in command of anything.

I just don't think bringing that up at this point is actually valid.
Lord Fell
Overlord
Overlord

Postby Bladewind » Thu Oct 25, 2012 3:20 pm

I see two solutions, one of which will get me lynched;

1) Kent pulls rank and tell Diana to shut the aych see double hockey sticks up (or words to that effect - I'll be nicer) and move on

2) I pull an "end program" in the sense that this was a training exercise...

Of course, i can go somewhere on between...

I will likely go option 1 and bring in the xpert Diana requested.

BTW Fell, did you catch my post bout the rank?
Bladewind
Overlord
Overlord

Postby Lord Fell » Thu Oct 25, 2012 3:29 pm

I'd accept either problem solution.

Regarding the Rank... if I read that right, that means Diana is ranked in the Science Police also..? Which (yay me) means Diana gets to be team leader over a pair of officers she just ostracized..?

Can we actually clarify how long it's been since Rogers and Stone were rescued and recovered? A bit more perspective on how long they've had to recover would help.
Lord Fell
Overlord
Overlord

Postby Voidrazor » Thu Oct 25, 2012 3:37 pm

Personally, I don't think that a retcon is needed. In terms of developing the story and the relationships between characters, I think the best way to go forward is to have Kent say something along the lines of, "Your orders are to work together Major Prince. I have every confidence in Captain Rogers. That said, you have final authority on this mission. Just keep in mind that that authority does not override the order to work cohesively. Are we clear?"

That should maintain the interesting IC tension while incentivising cooperation. And it would mean that Amazon needs to catch up to Cap and make things works, before he gets to far. OOC, can we take it down a notch? I'm not blaming anyone. I just think a little more effort to get along and assume the best of our fellow players will make it more fun for all.
Voidrazor
Supporting Cast
Supporting Cast

Postby Bladewind » Thu Oct 25, 2012 5:19 pm

Lord Fell wrote:I'd accept either problem solution.

Regarding the Rank... if I read that right, that means Diana is ranked in the Science Police also..? Which (yay me) means Diana gets to be team leader over a pair of officers she just ostracized..?

Can we actually clarify how long it's been since Rogers and Stone were rescued and recovered? A bit more perspective on how long they've had to recover would help.

You read that right. :twisted:

Seriously, being Team Lead is not required. You could go with democratic methods. It does require suspending disbelief of the World as We Know It just a tad, but I think it works. The players work out their plan, and then act on it. It's what happens anyway from what I see on most games. Someone is named leader and it's a title and little more in the actual grand scheme of things.

As for Rogers and Stone... here's a little means of dealing with it:

It has been six months since The Incident. (Yes, that's a Retcon.)

However, two of the therapists assigned to Rogers and Stone were also Augments in their own right. Their augmentations, however, are not entirely beneficial on the field of battle... Thus they've been assigned to psychotherapy and reintegration for major psychological trauma. They have the power to heal minds. (No, I'm not statting that up!)

Does that help?

I will move the IC forward, should it not work we'll do a holodeck End Scene. It should though, as the players all displayed willingness to move forward....
Bladewind
Overlord
Overlord

Postby Bladewind » Thu Oct 25, 2012 5:53 pm

Instead of editing the previous post, I'll simply add in the following:

I posted IC what I think should get us back on track with the opportunity for all PCs to post.
Secret, Horus and Eclipsie, thanks for your patience.
Rogers and Stone, I've given you the means to return without retconning your posts or losing face...

For the record - to avoid further slowdowns - the new arrivals are at least one metaphysicist and potentially the Secret. The other arrival is a pilot ready to take the team via a stealth craft ready to lift off.

Did I mention that the pilot has a red shirt on? :twisted:
Bladewind
Overlord
Overlord

Postby Lord Fell » Thu Oct 25, 2012 7:26 pm

Just wanted to check in with Zen Gypsy and Walking Dad... are you guys on board with this?

I'm onboard myself. The notion of a Augment Therapist that can provide elevated/efficient healing to body and mind really removes the legitimate concern factor. I'll make some posts showing Diana appropriately apologetic, and everything should be straightened out.

There may be some lingering doubts on Diana's end, and some reciprocal resentment on Vic & Steve's part... but at a level that's below-simmer; enough for dramatic tension, not conflict.

Anyways. It was never my intention to derail the game, and I'm excited to have a complement of interested parties back on board... now... onward?
Lord Fell
Overlord
Overlord

Postby Bladewind » Thu Oct 25, 2012 7:58 pm

Bomb isn't the only one to think we're back on the roof - I had us a few floors down.

I have no issue with us being on the roof at this point.
Bladewind
Overlord
Overlord

PreviousNext

Return to M&M Game Room