Mutants & Masterminds
HQ    ABOUT M&M    SUPER-VISION    GIMMICK'S GADGETS    M&M SUPERLINK    ATOMIC THINK TANK    M&M SHOP
Saving the world, one d20 roll at a time

Paradigm Shift: OOC

This forum is the place for Mutants & Masterminds Play-By-Post games. Please read the M&M Game Room rules before starting or joining a game. Enjoy!

Re: Paradigm Shift: OOC (Choosing Replacement Players)

Postby Lord Fell » Mon Oct 22, 2012 11:08 pm

Well, now that you've changed the font, it's already 1000% better. I had noticed everything Horus was saying was confined to it's own separate paragraph:

Biti could feel muscles he didn't even have flex to beat the powerful, broad wings as he drove through the air, swooping and turning this way and that.

You need not beseech me, Biti Bahur. I am with you as I was with your forefathers; you have nothing to fear!

Images flooded Biti's mind as the being inhabiting his body took in details with its (his) greatly-enhanced eyesight.

Where as, I'd consider "normal format" something like:
Biti could feel muscles he didn't even have flex to beat the powerful, broad wings as he drove through the air, swooping and turning this way and that.

You need not beseech me, Biti Bahur. I am with you as I was with your forefathers; you have nothing to fear! Images flooded Biti's mind as the being inhabiting his body took in details with its (his) greatly-enhanced eyesight.

When it was Large and Bold, being all by itself really made it punch a reader in the face. With the smaller size, and non-bold font makes it much less an issue.

For my own colours, I've been using a Netbook instead of a lap top for ages... and one of the things I've noticed is that the colour mapping on it doesn't match up to my old PC (which died) well at all.
Lord Fell
Overlord
Overlord

Postby Voidrazor » Tue Oct 23, 2012 12:29 am

Lord Fell wrote:Kind of Awkward...
Voidrazor/Rebis posted to the IC. No post here, so I don't know where sie is at in terms of reliability as a player.
:?:

My apologies for holding things up for so long. Rather than make excuses, I'll simply strive to keep on top of things from here on out. I look forward to interacting with the new characters. They seem pretty cool.
Voidrazor
Supporting Cast
Supporting Cast

Postby Lord Fell » Wed Oct 24, 2012 12:48 am

I'd just written you off by the time Bladewind was getting around to picking submissions is all.

@Zen Gypsy & Walking Dad
Major Prince making a big deal of Rogers & Stone's place in the command chain is entirely character related. Earlier when Diana was doing research on what she was being recruited for, she read your character's files and came to the conclusion that they were probably not fit for duty yet, because of the damage they took in Lost Angels... Having Rogers as her second in command inside L.A. just isn't going to fly for her... You guys took that as Complications, right?
Lord Fell
Overlord
Overlord

Postby Bladewind » Wed Oct 24, 2012 4:26 am

@Bombaatu - although his normal direct self, Fell did make a valid point. Thanks for adapting.

@Fell - thanks for the reminders. Take a HP for staying in character.

@Rogers/Stone - you each get a HP.

@Eclipse - I will address your presence this morning if all goes well.
Bladewind
Overlord
Overlord

Postby Zen_Gypsy » Wed Oct 24, 2012 5:29 am

You guys took that as Complications, right?

Actually apparently I did, because when I slapped Rogers together, I was thinking Champions, where you state your Reputation, not that it's immediately a bad thing. But it works, and while I've come to realize Fell is direct, he isn't disruptive to a group, so I knew the question was entirely in character, I just don't have many ways to address it ...

I don't want to make an issue of jurisdiction or anything else that would affect the group like that, so we'll just go with what I posted and see what happens. ::shrugs::
"If sacred spaces are spared the ravages of war -- make all places sacred. And if the holy people are to be kept harmless from war -- make all peoples holy." -- Norrin Radd (Silver Surfer: Requiem; J. Michael Straczynski)
Zen_Gypsy
Heavyweight
Heavyweight

Postby RedBstrd » Wed Oct 24, 2012 5:53 am

Bladewind wrote:@Eclipse - I will address your presence this morning if all goes well.

Sounds good. I'll keep an eye on the threads.
RedBstrd
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Bladewind » Wed Oct 24, 2012 6:42 am

Lord Fell wrote:@Zen Gypsy & Walking Dad
Major Prince making a big deal of Rogers & Stone's place in the command chain is entirely character related. Earlier when Diana was doing research on what she was being recruited for, she read your character's files and came to the conclusion that they were probably not fit for duty yet, because of the damage they took in Lost Angels... Having Rogers as her second in command inside L.A. just isn't going to fly for her... You guys took that as Complications, right?

Just wanted to throw something out there... Kent is testing the members of the group and challenging how they will interact. Amazon may not think they are fit for duty, but they`ve obviously been cleared...
Bladewind
Overlord
Overlord

Re: Paradigm Shift: OOC

Postby Zen_Gypsy » Wed Oct 24, 2012 7:08 am

Also, as an FYI, Rogers would not be your second in command. The Major's rank is US Navy, whereas Rogers is a Captain in the Science Police. And since this is a Science Police Operation, the Major would be a liason, but not in command of the Operation, unless something has changed.
"If sacred spaces are spared the ravages of war -- make all places sacred. And if the holy people are to be kept harmless from war -- make all peoples holy." -- Norrin Radd (Silver Surfer: Requiem; J. Michael Straczynski)
Zen_Gypsy
Heavyweight
Heavyweight

Postby Bombaatu » Wed Oct 24, 2012 9:35 am

Zen_Gypsy wrote:Also, as an FYI, Rogers would not be your second in command. The Major's rank is US Navy, whereas Rogers is a Captain in the Science Police. And since this is a Science Police Operation, the Major would be a liason, but not in command of the Operation, unless something has changed.

Unlike the Army, Air Force or Marines, the US Navy does not have a rank of 'Major'; its O4 rank is Lt. Commander (same in the Coast Guard). Naval Captains are O6 (same as a Colonel in the other branches, one step down from flag rank), whereas Captain is an O3 in the USAF, USA & USMC.

Side note: while a Marine Captain (O3) is aboard a ship, he is given a courtesy (title-only) promotion to Major - only one person aboard ship is addressed as 'Captain'.

US Military officer insignia
Bombaatu
Paragon
Paragon

Postby Lord Fell » Wed Oct 24, 2012 12:01 pm

Thanks for that... I was unsure whether someone who served as a pilot on an aircraft carrier would be considered Airforce, Navy or Marines. Probably I assumed that Major was the rank I wanted, because pilots in Top Gun had that rank. Wondering if I shouldn't just change her to Marines.

Something I've discussed with Bladewind OOC but I still don't have an answer, and was planning for Diana to push Kent on the issue IC... is that Diana knows that her rank has been recommissioned. She does not know to which branch or organization she has been recommissioned to. She was augmented out of the FBI, not a military group. We did discuss SHIELD, but there doesn't really seem like there's a SHIELD presence in the game.
Lord Fell
Overlord
Overlord

Postby Bladewind » Wed Oct 24, 2012 12:14 pm

@Lord Fell: I completely forgot about that

SHIELD made the most sense to me when I started things out, and honestly I did not attribute all that much in terms of importance. However, it has become important to the group dynamic.

Here are two options:

Science Police (which were developped out of the remnants of the SHIELD unit in Metropolis when the shield was commissioned)

Navy The heirarchy of the navy could have been what Amazon was assigned to before Metropois was cut off from the rest of the world.

To me, the most important is that the chain of military command be established as it relates to this city... but then I thought about it so I need to make it consistent because [spoiler]I do envision leaving the city at one point, which entails encountering other groups/ survivors and the like.[/spoiler]
Last edited by Bladewind on Wed Oct 24, 2012 12:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bladewind
Overlord
Overlord

Postby Lord Fell » Wed Oct 24, 2012 12:18 pm

Mmm... you kind of told me to pick. I took a contrary point: you're GM... you pick! I mean, I initially planned to go SHIELD, but I think if I had, I'd have been kind of disappointed -there just doesn't seem to be a SHIELD presence here. Maybe if I had gone that way, there would be? I don't know...
Lord Fell
Overlord
Overlord

Postby Bombaatu » Wed Oct 24, 2012 1:37 pm

Lord Fell wrote:Thanks for that... I was unsure whether someone who served as a pilot on an aircraft carrier would be considered Airforce, Navy or Marines. Probably I assumed that Major was the rank I wanted, because pilots in Top Gun had that rank. Wondering if I shouldn't just change her to Marines.

No, those were Navy guys (another side note: they refer to themselves as 'Naval Aviators' instead of 'pilots') - Goose and Maverick were both Lieutenants, Viper was a Commander & Jester was a Lt. Cmdr.

Marine pilots can and do operate off of carriers, but a carrier's assigned Air Wing will be navy personnel.

BTW, that's one of the myriad reasons I had joined the Air Force: nobody ever sank an air base... ;)
Bombaatu
Paragon
Paragon

Postby Lord Fell » Wed Oct 24, 2012 11:58 pm

So, I was waiting for more info from Bladewind...
Last edited by Bladewind on Wed Oct 24, 2012 11:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
Postby Lord Fell » Wed Oct 24, 2012 11:18 am

...so you were editing while I was posting.

:arrow: Well, I like the idea that Diana's military rank was Major. Somehow, somewhere, it's ringing a bell for me that that's the "correct" military rank for Diana Prince/Wonder Woman, so that's the rank I want.
:arrow: I don't think I want to go through the hassle of changing every post in which Diana ever gives her rank (most of them) and replacing Major with Lt. Commander. A lot of work without any reasonable pay out.
:arrow: To maintain the correct military rank, I think the easiest thing to do is change her organization to Marines from Navy. I don't really have a strong notion of how the two are different, but if there is such a thing as a Marine Pilot, then I'm down with that.

As to the specific organization to which Diana has been recommissioned to, I'd still like to put the ball into your court. I had always intended that to be the case, actually. I indicated that Diana's handler during Augmentation was Carol Danvers, and that she was with SHIELD, but I just don't know where Diana should be now.

So... you're the GM, your job is to adjudicate... so... adjudicate. :P

As for where we're at in the IC thread, I don't want to disrupt the game. I don't mind some character conflict -and Diana doesn't know Vic or Steve at all... but right now, the only place I have to go with the IC is "told you so."
Lord Fell
Overlord
Overlord

Postby Zen_Gypsy » Thu Oct 25, 2012 12:52 am

I don't mind some character conflict

A little character conflict would be pulling Rogers and Vic aside, and telling them that "Despite your records, I don't think either of you is fit for active duty, so until you prove to me that you are I am taking sole lead of this joint task force."

Your IC stunt has c&$k-blocked forward progress, by continuing on your notion that somewhere in their files it says Unfit for Active Duty, which is does not, and by disobeying a direct order to work with Rogers from Kent. And then when I proceed in the only manner I can see to keep both forward momentum, and allowing people to move ahead with the story rather than wait for two months worth of psyche evaluations, you sit back and say "I told you so?"

Dick move bro.
Zen_Gypsy
Heavyweight
Heavyweight

PreviousNext

Return to M&M Game Room