Paradigm Shift: OOC

This forum is the place for Mutants & Masterminds Play-By-Post games. Please read the M&M Game Room rules before starting or joining a game. Enjoy!
RedBstrd
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Re: Paradigm Shift: OOC

Postby RedBstrd » Mon Oct 15, 2012 4:40 pm

If you guys do take it to an open recruitment, I'm toying with a character concept for Dick Grayson: after watching Mafia bosses kill his parents, the young Grayson boy gets taken in by a vigilante and used in the man's personal vendetta against organized crime. Somewhat darker than his mentor, young Grayson kills his first man before the age of 18 (though the incident was certainly self-defense and not intentional). Troubled by the turn of events, he asserts his independence and heads to the Orient to fight his internal demons. Years later, having mastered both martial arts and the darkness within himself, he returns to Metropolis but bears a new name... Eclipse. Shortly thereafter, realities began to collide.

Essentially, the character concept is playing on the fact that Batman was heavily influenced by the pulp hero the Shadow. He'd pretty much have a "What if Dick Grayson became the Shadow instead of Nightwing?" character concept.

I'll look more thoroughly through the threads, see what feedback you gave other applicants, and see which of the characters are still around from initial recruitment, then I'll start to work on the character. If you take the game to open recruitment or if you have feedback on the overall idea, please let me know.

Bladewind
Overlord
Overlord

Postby Bladewind » Tue Oct 16, 2012 10:02 am

RedBstrd's character would be a welcome addition, pending build of course.

I am reopening the recruitment, priority will be given to previous applicants should they chose to re-apply.

For those remaining - we`ve established this is the best time to bring in fresh blood IC. Do you want to wait for the character(s) or start moving out and have a couple of phantoms retcon to characters as we go along?

Walking Dad
Luminary
Luminary

Re: Paradigm Shift: OOC (recruiting 2-3 players)

Postby Walking Dad » Tue Oct 16, 2012 11:28 am

How fits a Martial Artist / Psychic in the Power / Character Guidelines in the first post? How did he got his psychic powers? Natural psychics were not in the guidelines.
English isn't my native language. Have patience, please.

WD's PbP characters (3e)
Martian Manhunter builds

baixiwei
Overlord
Overlord

Postby baixiwei » Tue Oct 16, 2012 11:53 am

Is there a list somewhere of the current PCs who are still in the game, so that people thinking of submitting can see what's there already and what additions might be helpful? (I know there's a list of original acceptees at the top of the thread, but not sure who's in and who's out now.)
Baixiwei's Character Builds and Conversions

If only you could see what I've seen with your eyes.

Bladewind
Overlord
Overlord

Postby Bladewind » Tue Oct 16, 2012 12:08 pm

Walking Dad wrote:How fits a Martial Artist / Psychic in the Power / Character Guidelines in the first post? How did he got his psychic powers? Natural psychics were not in the guidelines.

Don`t worry. Details are being straightened out via PM.

Walking Dad
Luminary
Luminary

Postby Walking Dad » Tue Oct 16, 2012 12:34 pm

Bladewind wrote:
Walking Dad wrote:How fits a Martial Artist / Psychic in the Power / Character Guidelines in the first post? How did he got his psychic powers? Natural psychics were not in the guidelines.

Don`t worry. Details are being straightened out via PM.

Glad to hear this. The above was my only concern and I'm a The Shadow fan (anyone else reading the current comics written by Garth Ennis?).

WD's PbP characters (3e)
Martian Manhunter builds

Lord Fell
Overlord
Overlord

Postby Lord Fell » Tue Oct 16, 2012 12:37 pm

@Baixwei
This Post lists the cast. From the list, Ambush Beetle and Karen Starr are definitely gone, and Rebus may be gone.

baixiwei
Overlord
Overlord

Postby baixiwei » Tue Oct 16, 2012 12:44 pm

Thanks! So, it looks like there might be an opening for a mystic character? Question for the GM or anyone else who knows - how would mystic powers best work with the character background options given? It seems to me strange for an augment to get mystic powers (not impossible, but strange), but not easier to explain as an agent, so maybe paradigm shifted would work best ... but the recruitment post seemed to suggest GM didn't want too many paradigm shifted types, so ... suggestions?
Baixiwei's Character Builds and Conversions

If only you could see what I've seen with your eyes.

RedBstrd
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby RedBstrd » Tue Oct 16, 2012 1:03 pm

Eclipse (Dick Grayson)

Concept: What if Dick Grayson became the Shadow?

Trademark quote: [Ominous laughter]

Abilities: Strength 2, Stamina 3, Agility 6, Dexterity 0, Fighting 6, Intellect 3, Awareness 4, Presence 4

Advantages:
Connected, Contacts, Defensive Roll 4, Equipment 5, Evasion, Hide in Plain Sight, Move-by Action, Power Attack, Precise Attack (Ranged, Concealment), Quick Draw, Ranged Attack 10, Takedown, Uncanny Dodge

Skills:
Acrobatics 3 (+9), Athletics 3 (+5), Close Combat: Escrima Sticks 4 (+10), Deception 4 (+8), Expertise: Streetwise 4 (+7), Insight 7 (+11), Intimidation 5 (+9), Investigation 3 (+6), Perception 6 (+10), Persuasion 1 (+5), Ranged Combat: Pistols 4 (+16), Stealth 8 (+14)

Powers:
Mind Reading 8 Eclipse Knows... (DC 18; Subtle; Limited to Surface Thoughts) • 9 pp
AE: Affliction 8 My Will Is Your Will (1st: Dazed, 2nd: Compelled, 3rd: Controlled, Resisted by: Will, DC 18; Accurate +2, Increased Range: Ranged; Sense-dependent: Hearing) • 1 pp
Concealment 4 Power to Cloud Mens' Minds (All Visual Senses; Limited: Requires Minds, Quirk: His shadow is visible in brightly lit rooms) • 3 pp
Senses 2 (Darkvision) • 2 pp

Equipment:
Costume (Protection 1) • 1 ep
Grappling Hook (Leaping 3: 60 ft., Movement 3: Safe Fall, Swinging) • 7 ep
Suction Pads (Wall Crawling 1) • 2 ep
Twin Pistols (Ranged Damage 4, Accurate +2) • 11 ep
AE: Damage 6 Escrima Sticks (Strength-based, Accurate +2) • 1 ep

Favored Paradigm: Noir - Any Golden Age settings where the dark outweighs the light.

Dimensional Anchor: Variable Pool - 5 pp; Limited to Invading Paradigms, Assigned by GM.

Dimensional Anchor: Quick Change 2

Paradigm Device - Dick's device attaches to his face as a red bandana when in his Eclipse persona. Otherwise, it serves as a red ring on his left hand.

Offense:
Initiative +6
Mind Reading (DC Will 18)
Escrima Sticks: Strength-based Damage +12 (DC 23)
Affliction +12 (DC Will 18)
Pistols +16 (DC 19)
Throw +10 (DC 17)
Unarmed +6 (DC 17)

Complications:
Identity - Dick Grayson spends much of his free time as the costumed hero Eclipse.
Jerk - Grayson didn't read his Kant. People are often pawns to him, which he justifies because the stakes are so high.
Rivalry - Eclipse's mentor likely still survives. The two are not hostile with each other but Grayson feels a need to assert his independence.
Uncompromising - Grayson knows who the good guys are and who the bad guys are. If you're a bad guy, the gloves are off.

Defenses: Dodge 12, Parry 12, Fortitude 8, Toughness 8/3, Will 12

Power Points: Abilities 56 + Powers 15 + Advantages 28 + Skills 26 (52 ranks) + Defenses 25 = 150

Build Notes: At the core, he's built around a stripped down version of the DCA build for Nightwing with some basic powers from the Shadow tacked on. Given that he's PL 10 (150 pp), he can't hit all of the high points that either Nightwing or the Shadow have (no minions, loss of tech mastery, and so on). Still, he's well-rounded and a bit of a skill monkey without being a scientific genius or master detective.

His Concealment is not passive so it functions even during combat, which is handy since he's Defense-shifted and doesn't have a lot in terms of defensive utility powers. He's also attack-shifted but easily disarmed. His weapons are the best of what Metropolis can provide, being perfectly balanced and weighted for his use. Given his relatively high attack:damage ratio, he'll use Power Attack 4 with his pistols on most occasions.

His Affliction is Ranged and Sense-dependent so it requires an attack roll from him but the defender does get a Dodge roll against it as well as the Will save. His Mind Reading is subtle, making it difficult even for the target and people with exotic senses to detect.

His build does not reflect the foreign languages he undoubtedly knows, so I'll spend Hero Points to get them if necessary.

History:

After watching Mafia bosses kill his parents, the young orphaned Grayson boy was taken in by a vigilante and used in the man's personal vendetta against organized crime. As part of his overall training, Grayson learned criminology, firearm use and maintenance, strategy, and language skills. His period of training ended poorly, however. Somewhat darker than his mentor, young Grayson killed his first man before the age of 18 (though the incident was certainly self-defense and not intentional). Troubled by the turn of events, he asserted his independence and headed to the Orient to fight his internal demons. There, he became a master of martial arts, fencing, Asian languages, stealth, and many secret kinds of wisdom known only in Tibet. Years later, having faced the darkness within himself, he returned to Metropolis but bore a new name... Eclipse. Shortly thereafter, realities began to collide. Realizing that men on their own would soon end up dead, he quickly offered his services to agencies fighting against dimensional incursions. He joined the Science Police, acting as a field agent against the invaders in times of crisis. During times of relative quiet, his duties generally involve reconnaissance and undercover work - duties aided by his ESP and near-invisibility.

For his abilities to hide himself to near invisibility and exert power over the weak minded, Grayson initially relied on skills acquired in the Orient. With the dimensional incursions, though, somehow planes of the spirit world and realms of magic are closer to Metropolis. Eclipse is finding that his training in the monasteries of TIbet and elsewhere set the stage for him to perform nearly supernatural or superhuman feats of mental trickery now that the world itself has changed.

Edits wrote:1. With his Concealment limited to Requires Minds, he had some free points. I raised his Agility back up to what Nighwing has and lowered the level of Accurate on his weapons, purchasing attack bonuses for the weapons through Skills.

2. I added a reference to the origin of Eclipse's powers. A Paradigm Shift origin for the powers seems more appropriate than an agent augment. That said, if the arrangement doesn't work for Bladewind, then Grayson could be a straight-forward augment. In the comics (particularly the new Ennis ones), the Shadow works along with military intelligence so working that angle into his power origins is entirely feasible.

3. The background is now more clear on Eclipse's relationship with the Science Police.
Last edited by RedBstrd on Thu Oct 18, 2012 9:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.

RedBstrd
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby RedBstrd » Tue Oct 16, 2012 1:05 pm

Walking Dad wrote:I'm a The Shadow fan (anyone else reading the current comics written by Garth Ennis?).

I am. I'm a huge Garth Ennis fan. I don't think he's quite found his voice yet but the series just started. I expect good things from Ennis so it should work out as he gets used to the character.

Bladewind
Overlord
Overlord

Postby Bladewind » Tue Oct 16, 2012 1:20 pm

baixiwei wrote:Thanks! So, it looks like there might be an opening for a mystic character? Question for the GM or anyone else who knows - how would mystic powers best work with the character background options given? It seems to me strange for an augment to get mystic powers (not impossible, but strange), but not easier to explain as an agent, so maybe paradigm shifted would work best ... but the recruitment post seemed to suggest GM didn't want too many paradigm shifted types, so ... suggestions?

I have no issue with a Paradigm Shifted character. At this point, if you were with Kent (and the rest of the group at the moment) it would be very easy to say you`ve been vetted.

My initial... aversion... to Paradigm Shifted characters was because I honestly thought everyone would go that route...

@Eclipse - I take it back, he doesn`t have to be an Augment. He can also have gained his powers during a Shift.

Walking Dad
Luminary
Luminary

Postby Walking Dad » Tue Oct 16, 2012 1:31 pm

Peer review of Eclipse (if desired, if not, just ignore it):

Concealment 4 Power to Cloud Mens' Minds (All Visual Senses; Quirk: His shadow is visible in brightly lit rooms) • 7 pp
This should also have the Limited to Minds flaw from mental powers, as this is a psychic ability, right? Will reduce the cost of the power to 3 pp.

His Affliction is Ranged and Sense-dependent so it requires an attack roll from him but the defender does get a Dodge roll against it for diminishing the DC of the Will save.

No, a successful Dodge save will negate the need for the will save:
The target gets a Dodge resistance check. Success means the target has managed to avert his eyes, cover his ears, etc. and the effect doesn’t work.

His Mind Reading is subtle, making it difficult even for the target and people with exotic senses to detect.
Actually, masking the effect from a target is the insidious extra and 1 rank of subtle makes it only detectable with an exotic sense or requires a DC 20 Perception check.

WD's PbP characters (3e)
Martian Manhunter builds

EnigmaticOne
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby EnigmaticOne » Tue Oct 16, 2012 1:58 pm

Well, I'm interested as well, I would like to see a list of characters currently in as well to get some perspective on what is available and how to fit the theme.
Impeach the peach!

Adventure Dan
Cohort
Cohort

Postby Adventure Dan » Tue Oct 16, 2012 2:19 pm

Bladewind wrote:PM is already sent. 8)

Dan? Dad? Gypsy? Your thoughts?

I suppose it's a little too late now to offer input, but I just wanted to say that I don't have any strong feelings one way or the other about recruitment. You're the GM here, so if you want more players, go right ahead (as you have). Now seems like the best time for it, before heading into Lost Angels.

Also, I'll have a post up soon.

@ EnigmaticOne

Lord Fell wrote:@Baixwei
This Post lists the cast. From the list, Ambush Beetle and Karen Starr are definitely gone, and Rebus may be gone.

EnigmaticOne
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby EnigmaticOne » Tue Oct 16, 2012 2:38 pm

Thanks Dan. Hmm, what would people think of a gadgeteer character modeled off of one of one of the Flash's Rogues? Someone - maybe like Mirror Master- who makes devices that can't possibly work, but do according to his/her theme?
Impeach the peach!

Return to “M&M Game Room”