Mutants & Masterminds
HQ    ABOUT M&M    SUPER-VISION    GIMMICK'S GADGETS    M&M SUPERLINK    ATOMIC THINK TANK    M&M SHOP
Saving the world, one d20 roll at a time

The Perfectibilists! Part Three: Paradise, Lost![IC]

This forum is the place for Mutants & Masterminds Play-By-Post games. Please read the M&M Game Room rules before starting or joining a game. Enjoy!

Re: The Perfectibilists! Part Two: Each Thing A Thief![IC]

Postby Nineofspades » Mon Oct 22, 2012 10:12 am

Willow
HP 4

Work proceed as planned, the buildings structure giving way under the onrush of vegetation, being subsumed. In her mind, Willow held a small amusement at the notion. While Eidolon had done no small feat in disabling security, it took nothing more than a glance around to see who truly was in control of this building. Not the security forces or the bankers, Nor Eidolon and his machines. The Green had taken this structure for its own. The Bank belonged to Willow.

For this next bit, I will presume that the roots I extended down through the floor are close enough to the vault troopers and gunfire for me to be able to locate the soldiers with my plant radar hearing/tactile sense, And the same for the barricades around the main floor area, so I can listen in on the conversations up there with the captain. If its not, I'll change my action.

Also, is the bank covered in enough plants yet for me to get my favored environment bonus?

Sounds of energy weapon discharge came from below, along with the whispers of her plants, crying in pain as the sting of the laser blasts struck the branches. They also told her of the Captain, and his insistence that the soldiers would not yield. They told her of Cheshire's banter, and the demonic force he'd conjured up. Whether real or illusionary, perhaps some assistance would be merited. Vines, like a hundred obedient limbs, extend out around the encamped men. With movments which betrayed a clear sentient motive behind them, they reached out, and took from each man their weapons, leaving them with only their fists to fare against the creature Cheshire had loosed upon them, and crushing their armaments into useless scrap

Megavine. Burst Area damaging Move Object disarm and destroy the weapons of the soldiers that Cheshire is approaching. Its perception range, so again, if they are anywhere near my plants, they can be targeted. Treat them as minions, and with my effective strength bonus for move object being quite high, I don't think they stand much a chance.

As a thought, should they take a penelty on their saves against the illusion now that they also have no way to protect themselves from it?

Nineofspades
Luminary
Luminary

Postby Kevin_MacTaggert » Mon Oct 22, 2012 10:46 am

As Cheshire's nightmare beast stalks into the Vault, he hears panicked shouting & the doorway is lit up with an onslaught of laser-fire as the Fed's remaining protectors blast away at the phantasm in vain! The energy bolts pass through the illusion setting the doorway & lower staircase on fire with blazing sparks!

" Take it down! "

" It's not stopping!! "

" It's just walking through it!! "

" Keep firing!!! "

" What in God's name is it!?! "

As Cheshire waits, the surrounding vines come alive, growing and twisting and surging into the Vault - then, more confused shouting as Willow's Mega-vines disarm the officers!

" NOOOOO!!"

" They just took our - "

" We're gonna die!! "

" Fall back to the bunker!! Move!!! "

Kevin wrote:Willow is the only PC who can track the officers' flight through space 22 as they dash for space 21, the Panic Room & she's gained her Favored Environment advantage - Cheshire wasn't quite in view of the Vault due to the laser-fire ...
Kevin_MacTaggert
Mastermind
Mastermind

Postby Kevin_MacTaggert » Mon Oct 22, 2012 2:34 pm

The whole of the Freedom City Fed's interior has been turned into a tangled jungle-like landscape, with vines and vegetation everywhere you can see. Floors, walls, doorways, and ceilings are draped in a maze of plant life. It forces walkers to watch their step as they move to avoid tripping on overgrown roots and shrubbery. The cybernetic scent of industrialization has been replaced with the rich, earthy odor of the natural world - an instant Botanical Garden!

The now-unarmed security officers on the lobby level look to comfort the shaken Fed clients as they eye the blocked exit & their discarded weapons. They again try their radios & finding them still disabled, mutter amongst themselves about maybe forming some plan of action - maybe they could do something ...
Kevin_MacTaggert
Mastermind
Mastermind

Postby Kevin_MacTaggert » Mon Oct 22, 2012 2:58 pm

The team's Commlinks crackle as Essence's otherworldly voice appears in their ears,

" Phase One accomplished ... Vanguard is occupied with my - a LOUD explosion blots out Essence's transmission ...

" ... need to speed things up a bit - there's more - another loud explosion & the sound of wrenching metal coupled with shouts ...

" ... I'm headed to Jordan International - she's interrupted by a voice!

" Essence! Stop where you are! Dispatch that demon & surrender, immediately!! "

" Doctor Rune. I expected you. I'm sorry, but I can't dispel my pet - you'll have to deal with it, as I have a previous engagement! One more airport ..."

A loud & unusual sound comes across the Commlink & Essence groans in protest!

" Is that the very best you have, Rune ? Let me show you what true power is!! "

There's a low hum across the Commlink - then, communication goes dead!
Kevin_MacTaggert
Mastermind
Mastermind

Postby Hound » Tue Oct 23, 2012 5:19 am

Jack
HP: 1 Luck: 5

Jack sighed in an overly melodramatic way. "All the girls are having all the fun with out me." He pouted like a child, envious of Essence and Willow. In truth, Jack was far smarter than he usually let on, and Eidolon knew it. That man knew many things.

Eidolon knew that Jack was a stickler for contracts and agreements, and Eidolon had been very clear on how he wanted things handled, which required a great deal of restraint on Jack's part.

Jack was half hoping for the League, or Guardians, or what ever they called themselves this week, would show up just to give Jack something to do. "Mr. E, should I slaughter them, or do we still need meat shields?" He asked casually, tossing his large magic murder axe as easily as one might toss an apple in the air. His tone was airy, and delightful, like asking if Eidolon wanted more sugar with his tea. He eyed the group of civilians, he wore a smile a friendly neighbor might wear during a casual greeting, yet his eyes... His eyes! They were deep like the void, the abyss, endless darkness, and staring into them just might cause madness...

Nightmare Gaze
Affliction 10: Progressive, Area Cone, Subtle 2, Sense-Dependent[Vision], 1st Vulnerable, 2nd, Stunned, 3rd Incapacitated, Resisted by Insight (32 PP) Look into my eyes, and see your greatest fears and failures!
"Whats wrong? You came here expecting to fight a madman, and instead found a god!?"
My Characters
Hound
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby RedBstrd » Tue Oct 23, 2012 7:10 am

Eidolon
HP 1, Luck 2
Condition: Normal

Eidolon quickly orders his men to take the disarmed guards and civilians to the vault on the ground level, sealing them in. By the time Eidolon, Tyrannosaur, and Jack get to sub-level one, they are alone with Captain Holden. "Slaughter him," Jack requests, pointing at the bound officer with him. As Tyrannosaur joins in, Eidolon explains: "If your men probably won't surrender, then you're of no use to us..."

Tyrannosaur swipes at the handcuffed man with a powerful swing, trying to take the head off of the officer.

OOC wrote:Being handcuffed, Captain Holden should be Restrained (Hindered and Vulnerable), getting half of his normal movement speed and his Dodge/Parry are half their normal values.

Since we're treating Tyrannosaur like one of my minions at the moment, he'll All Out Attack and Power Attack of 5: 1d20+7=13. Luck re-roll: 1d20+7=24. That's a DC 33 Toughness save (base 15 +13 ranks of damage +5 Power Attack). Also, his attack has Multiattack on it, so if he exceeded the hero's lowered Parry score by 6, the DC raises 2 (DC 35); if he exceeded it by 11, the DC raises by another 3 (DC 38).

"Don't miss out," the saurian villain laughs, inviting Jack to join in on the fun.

Meanwhile, Emmanuel accesses his nano-tech to ensure that his fellow villains have free access to teleport around in the Fed - but that no one from outside has a similar opportunity.

OOC wrote:Round 3 actions: move action to get down to the second floor as indicated by Kevin's narration; standard action to hack: 1d20+19=38.
RedBstrd
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Kevin_MacTaggert » Tue Oct 23, 2012 5:28 pm

The hostages eye Jack, since he means them ugly harm & immediately they begin screaming louder than before! Their howls echo off the Fed walls as they cringe or wave their hands wildly at open air or run for the blocked entrance, pounding on the unyielding doorway for release! It's pure PANIC - their shattered willpower trying to escape itself as Jack turns their minds inside-out!

After a few moments of wild, useless grappling, the hostages are taken by the villains ...

Captain Holden looks smugly at the villains after Eidolon's decree, " I'll see you all in HELL. "

Being a veteran of combat situations, Captain Holden braces himself for what comes next - not that it helps him much. Tyrannosaur's wicked superhuman blow connects with a " WHOP! " & the security chief sails across the space, some thirty feet, slamming into the wall near the blocked entrance! He falls to the floor in an unconscious heap, blood streaming from his face ...
Kevin_MacTaggert
Mastermind
Mastermind

Postby dreamking89 » Tue Oct 23, 2012 5:55 pm

Cheshire Cat
Condition: Giddy
HP: 3

The master thief struts into the vault floor, still walking on the ceiling as vines and roots break through the walls and floors. He walks over to where his illusion had scared the guards towards and flips off the ceiling, landing on the ground in front of them.

"Having a good morning, guys? Don't mind me, I'm just going to be making a withdrawal and I'll be on my way." He points a finger at the ground and draws a line across the air in front of him. As he does this, layers of illusionary bricks materializes around the trapped guards. Once the wall is finished, Cheshire vanishes along with his 'demon', reappearing in the room with the gold.

Perception check as he enters the 'gold room' (Let's say room 23):1d20+8=23
It has always been the prerogative of children and half-wits to point out that the emperor has no clothes. But the half-wit remains a half-wit and the emperor remains an emperor.
dreamking89
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby Kevin_MacTaggert » Tue Oct 23, 2012 6:25 pm

Cheshire suddenly finds himself immersed - by tons of gold. It's almost as if they speak to him. Calling out in a familiar & friendly tone. Glimmering in the flickering-red darkness - demanding his attention ...

Cheshire had grasped a many treasure, but this ... his eyes were mesmerized - flooded - with intoxicating wealth! Alone in the Vault, Cheshire was the richest man in the world, his every whim an afterthought. What couldn't he have with this bounty ? What door would not open ? What destiny couldn't he pursue ?

The warm bricks of argent passion hummed at him - beckoning irresistibly! Why share them ? Why put them in the hands of simple thugs who could never imagine, let alone understand, his greater ambition ? The priceless soft metal vibrated at his touch & Cheshire wondered if they cast their own special illusion, hoping to steal him away from common sense. And they were everywhere. Four separate and equally-massive stacks of golden POWER, their brilliance shrouded in this subterranean dungeon.

Over 3,000 tons of passionate single-fingered direction gleaming low in the near-infrared lighting that teased with each flicker. It seemed too much for one and overwhelming for even more ...

Kevin_MacTaggert
Mastermind
Mastermind

Postby Hound » Wed Oct 24, 2012 4:11 pm

Jack
HP: 1, Luck: 5.

"Mr. E, you got Big Red here for muscle. I'm going to take a peak outside to make sure we havn't any unwelcomed guests..." Jack tipped his had and bowed from the waste before disappearing into thin air. Or so most would think, he actually turned invisible, before piviting on the spot and walking straight outside, passing through the wall as if it were nothing. Once outside the Spirit began slowly floating around, keeping an eye out for anything wrong.

If he got lucky, a super would appear. Oh how Jack loved killing supers.
"Whats wrong? You came here expecting to fight a madman, and instead found a god!?"
My Characters
Hound
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Nineofspades » Wed Oct 24, 2012 4:30 pm

Willow
HP 4

With the building now secured, and he vault exposed, Willow moved to follow Cheshire into the main repository. The sight of such wealth moved her, if only slightly. It was just ore and metal afterall, lifeless and inert. But it was also a very tangible step forward for the larger goals which. And that was enough to bring forth a very rare sight indeed. Willow Smiled.

"We have the gold now. Let Us begin the extraction. Tyrannosaur, Your needed here if we're to begin moving all of this. My plants have permeated the structure. If the situation changes at all, I'll inform you all of the change"
Nineofspades
Luminary
Luminary

Postby Kevin_MacTaggert » Wed Oct 24, 2012 5:05 pm

Outside the bank, a small crowd of nine people had gathered, a few of whom were trying to peek inside the doorway, which was now overgrown with plant life! There was a low roar of conversation as they crowd discussed what could be going on & a few people were trying to contact the authorities! Most of the pedestrians were well-dressed & could possibly be Fed clients or employees, while others in the crowd appeared in casual attire - maybe people just passing by who decided to be nosey. It was a very sunny morning still & the streets alongside the bank were crowded with vehicle traffic.

Strangely, there were no lumbering, demonic giants downtown, or anywhere nearby ... had Essence forgotten, or failed ? Police sirens could be heard in the distance, but besides a passing ambulance stuck in traffic, there were no squad cars in the area. It was ... unexpected. There should be terror in the streets - helpless civilians running for their lives as buildings were toppled around them by whatever otherworldly monsters Essence had conjured up. But this wasn't the case - at least not at the moment.

What did happen was exactly what the villainous crew had planned against: the loud rumble of a custom Harley Davidson motorcycle echoed across downtown Freedom City & a mysterious figure draped in dark-gray leather wheeled around the corner of Liberty Street, coming directly for the Fed! Even at low speed, Stranger's long leather trench-coat flowed behind him & after coasting between vehicles, he came to a stop directly in front of the Fed! His gloved hand guns the engine & the crowd turns to look at him, causing several of those gathered to move away from the bank entrance - but they don't approach Stranger - they've heard the stories! The gray-leather Stranger was not to be trifled with ... & whose side was he on anyway ?

Stranger! If any vigilante monicker fit it's candidate, it was this enigmatic crusader. He patrolled the streets of Freedom City, usually at night, bringing his own special & deadly form of "justice" to any criminal that dared to break the law! Stranger had established a reputation for being "heavy-handed", leaving a trail of bullet-ridden corpses that caused media frenzies ... & gave FCPD nightmarish headaches. Underground rumors hinted he might be the son of a U.S. Ambassador assassinated under mob orders & Stranger was a man driven mad in his pursuit of revenge against organized crime. Another rumor was, the vigilante was actually a former mob assassin who, after nearly being killed by his former "employer", turned against the Mob in retaliation. But, due to the fact that local & federal law-enforcement hadn't brought him in, many criminals thought Stranger might be a cop or special agent turned loose by the authorities to eliminate those crooks the legal process had failed to handle. Regardless of who he was, Stranger was now sitting on his motorcycle outside the under-siege Federal Reserve ... just staring at the crowd ... then the building ... nothing else ... yet.

Kevin wrote:Stranger's a well-known vigilante akin the Marvel's Punisher, except his I.D. is a well-kept secret. He tends to be fairly unpredictable & always works alone, but once he takes action - he's a heart attack for any but the most powerful opponents! he uses a combination of martial arts & an arsenal of hand-held weapons to wreak havoc on targets, often taking down large groups of Mob enforcers in seconds! Jack sees everything described above & Willow "senses" it, due to her plants ...
Kevin_MacTaggert
Mastermind
Mastermind

Postby Hound » Wed Oct 24, 2012 5:19 pm

Jack
HP: 1 Luck: 5

Jack tapped the small communicator device given to him by Eidolon. "Gentlemen and Lady. Essence has failed. We will have party crashers soon. I will keep them entertained, please use this time to move the party else where..." His tone was joyful as he contacted the entire crew. He new Eidolon would handle things inside.

With that the spirit casually landed about 20 feet from the Stranger, whom still straddled his noisy, smelly machine. Logically Jack should attack from stealth, surprising the man. Jack however was here to buy time. To play with the man.

All at once, Jack was visible again to the world around him. Some of the on lookers jumped back in surprise. Jack was a hard man to ignore with his bright neon green suit, and he had never been shy in front of cameras. No doubt it would not take long for the Stranger to notice him.

Jack bowed, and gently tipped his hat before standing up right, replacing his head dress and smiling brightly, "Mr. Stranger. Good day to you. My name is Jack. I assume you have heard of me? Well, I have heard much of you. I was flying by and spotted you, and thought, were in a similar business you and I. Would you like to get a spot of tea and talk shop? I hear they have an excellent earl gray at the shop two blocks over."
My Characters
Hound
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby RedBstrd » Wed Oct 24, 2012 10:37 pm

Eidolon
HP: 1, Luck 2
Condition: Normal

Hearing of the arrival of a vigilante, Eidolon acknowledges the message over his commlink, then orders all of his men down to the vault level. He begins the process of shrinking the gold.

Tyrannosaur gathers up the shrunk golden bars.

OOC wrote:He can move down to the vault level and shrink one of the rooms full of gold right now. Each of the other three rooms will take him a round. Once he has all four, he can use the teleporter to get the group out (unless he decides to stay to set up a bomb).
RedBstrd
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Nineofspades » Wed Oct 24, 2012 10:43 pm

Willow
HP 4

Willow Raised her vines up, grabbing gold bars by twos and three's each, multiplied by dozens of such limbs acting in concert. With the arrival of the hero, she wished to speed up the final stages of the plan. Though she should have likely gone to lend aid to Jack, the woman remained where she was. Firstly, because Stranger represented a rather small threat to the overall plan, in her eyes. Second, because the laughing murderer was difficult to be rid of. And third, she just didn't like Jack.

Megavine with burst area, moving the gold bars, as many as I can carry. Move Object Strength 14 burst area
Nineofspades
Luminary
Luminary

PreviousNext

Return to M&M Game Room