Mutants & Masterminds
HQ    ABOUT M&M    SUPER-VISION    GIMMICK'S GADGETS    M&M SUPERLINK    ATOMIC THINK TANK    M&M SHOP
Saving the world, one d20 roll at a time

The Perfectibilists! Part Three: Paradise, Lost![IC]

This forum is the place for Mutants & Masterminds Play-By-Post games. Please read the M&M Game Room rules before starting or joining a game. Enjoy!

Re: The Perfectibilists! Part Two: Each Thing's A Thief![IC]

Postby Kevin_MacTaggert » Thu Oct 18, 2012 8:08 pm

Above the Sub-Level penetrated by the villains, the twenty Fed clients scattered across the Main level shudder slightly with the impact of Willow's incredible invasion! They look around at each other and check their cellphones, to see their service has been lost! Overhead lights flicker and security personnel snap radios from their holsters, thumbing communication in vain! The two guardians nearest the Liberty Street entrance move to seal the doors, according to protocol, as several clients move towards that exact entrance voicing concerns ...

" Did you ...? What ...? "

" I lost my call - I need to step outside a moment ..."

" What was that ?"

" Doing some renovations, are you ?"

" I'll come back later - I need to - check the meter ..."

Captain Paul Holden, a polished-over, 52 year-old former Special Operations commander who knew things were very wrong strides from the office and raises his hands gently at the clients half-rushing the doorway, " It's okay, folks. Just our construction effort at the lower levels. We're improving our structural capacity to accommodate the demands of our growing clientele. Please relax and help yourself to coffee or water while our staff checks the area for minor aberrations. Thank you. " That's it, Paul thinks to himself - Lie. ' Truth is so precious that she should always be attended by a bodyguard of lies.' Guess that painter, Churchill, was good for something at this moment. The Fed Security czar looked to calm his employer's well-to-do clients as he eyed his officers sternly, his gaze saying all it needed to ... Capt. Holden looked over to the tellers and saw their disease - FEAR - and oh, how contagious a thing ...

... a level below, five deadly-determined "entrepreneurs" and their minions moved with a purpose born of wild anticipation, as the Federal Reserve quivered in their wake ...

Mood
Last edited by Kevin_MacTaggert on Sat Oct 20, 2012 4:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kevin_MacTaggert
Mastermind
Mastermind

Re: The Perfectibilists! Part Two: Each Thing A Thief![IC]

Postby RedBstrd » Thu Oct 18, 2012 10:14 pm

Eidolon
HP 1, Luck 2
Condition: Normal

Eidolon steps out of the tunnel behind the other villains and his armed men, glancing around for any sign that people escaped the grasp of Willow's vines.

OOC wrote:I'll use the first of my pre-rolls for a Perception check: 3+12=15. He's glancing in the doors and so on.

"You four," he orders. "Begin gathering up the money on this floor. We don't need it all." He looks to another set of four men. "You, destroy the computers that way. Then round up hostages. Search and disarm everyone. Check their ankles. You have been trained for this. Don't disappoint me." Pointing ahead at the stairs, he orders the rest forward: "Seize the top floor. No gunfire until the front door is secured by Willow."

The doors seal on the ground level, obeying the commands of Eidolon's nanotech now that the system is firmly in his command.

OOC wrote:Giving such elaborate orders should take up his move action. Ordering his summoned creatures (the nanotech) is his other move action.

The arms dealer then turns on his glider, causing the device to hover next to him.
RedBstrd
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Hound » Fri Oct 19, 2012 9:37 pm

Jack
HP: 1 Luck: 5

Jack smiled, as he watched Willow dig. She disliked him, he could taste her disdain for him. It was sweet, warm, bubbly, like root beer. Jack could drink it in all day long. Yet despite her feelings, she was a true professional.

Jack could not help but watch her with delight. Some might see his smile, and believe he was thinking something lewd, perverted, sexual. In a way they would be right. But it was not like anything a normal man would imagine.

Suddenly the walls came crashing down around the team of villains. Jack had missed the signal to move in. Willow had already entangled the guards, stopping them with minimal force, and violence.

Jack frowned, displeased by the lack of blood. But the man, if you could call him that, was nothing, if not a professional. He had made a contract with Eidolon, and he intended to follow through with it.

In a blink of an eye, Jack disappeared and arrived at the entrance of the building and looked at who was waiting for him in the lobby...
"Whats wrong? You came here expecting to fight a madman, and instead found a god!?"
My Characters
Hound
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Kevin_MacTaggert » Fri Oct 19, 2012 10:09 pm

The area the group penetrated is 10'x30'x30' with gleaming white walls and ceiling. A two air vents have vines smashing through them, as shrubbery violently-expands across the blue wall-to-wall carpeting. The five chairs and two large tables within have been shifted closer to the left side of the room, while the half-opened Supply Closet lies on the group's right.

The two security officers are immobilized at the far end of the room, caught in mid-step by Willow's tangle-vines as they burst through the wall! Near the captives, a desktop computer sits on a rectangular black table littered with shift reports. Room temperature is cool, not cold, and other than the activity of the invaders, very still and quiet. Very "santitized" - until now!

Eidolon scans the area and hears the sound of people somewhere on this level - gasps, mumbled conversation, foot steps! The villain dispatches his minions, who race around or out of the space to complete their assigned tasks ...

Jack :

The Woodsman, looking around the lobby, comes to face the main entrance where three groups have bottle-necked; a group of ten security officers are nearest the doors, trying to contain the twenty customers attempting to flee - a second group of ten officers stand between Jack and the customers, doing their level best to maintain calm. None of the officers have drawn a weapon yet, or even noticed Jack's appearance ...

Kevin wrote:Still in Round One here. Jack is on the Main Level map, at the north end of area 2, while the officers and clients are huddled in space 1 ...
Kevin_MacTaggert
Mastermind
Mastermind

Postby Nineofspades » Fri Oct 19, 2012 10:24 pm

Willow
HP 4

Willow cast her gaze to and fro, scanning the floor, making sure that her plants had done there work. And indeed, they had. Wherever she looked, she could see only the tiniest hit of the captives now bound by her vines. A foot here, a hand there, an eye desperately quivering in panic. But all else was still. Least till the mad clown went prancing about looking giddy, before vanishing. If Willow recalled correctly, he was supposed to head upwards, eliminating anyone on the surface level who might alert the outside world. Sending someone as unstable as the woodsman to do such an important job was a risk Willow didn't support. Nor did having him along at all for that matter.

With one hand, the red haired woman reached out to her plants, which responded eagerly, spreading thick branches over each and every corridor which lead to the upper levels. Air vents, doorways, stairwells. All of it covered up and sealed tight.

With the other hand, she directed the roots downward, punching through the floor and wiring, clearing the way down to the next layer of the substructure, and closer to the vault.

"The Green will alert me if any of you attempt to flee or call out for help" Willow said to the gathered masses. "My children speak to me, and I hear them. Be still, be silent or become fertilizer."

Standard action to create object up some barriers, Move action to dig down through the floor. And a free action to get our hostages to shut their mouths and stay put.

Also, taking ten from here on out on perception checks. All of the plantlife in range should give her info on whats going on, and keep us alert to any surprises.
Nineofspades
Luminary
Luminary

Postby Hound » Fri Oct 19, 2012 10:46 pm

Nine, can you use a slightly darker colour please? That bright green on white is hard to read.

Jack

Jack gaze fluttered about the room, eyeing every man and woman in turn. Had he the time, he would play with them. He would force them to run for their lives, like mice in a maze. Give them hope for a chance to live. Lead them on a long and blood path, picking them off one at a time. The last would see daylight. They would breath fresh air. Taste freedom. Inches from escape, it would be torn away, slaughtered to the last. It would be a jolly good time. Lots of laughs.

Yet now was not time to play with one's meal. "Ladies and gentlemen!" Jack announced, drawing the attention of the masses. "Jack be nimble. Jack be quick."

Suddenly he teleported beside the nearest guard, his magical axe swung and took the man's head clean off. His head bounced off the floor and rolled before the body could even collapse to the ground. "Jack the Ripper. Jack the bloody."

He ported to another and swung his axe with such force, it split the man completely in half, from the top of his skull down to his crotch. "Jack has fun. You all die."

"Hack and Slash" Alternate Effect: Strength Based Damage 4: Multi-attack, Penetrating 8, Incurable, Affects Insubstantial 2, Improved Critical 2(18-20), Innate (1 PP)

Taking a 10 on attack, giving a 22 to attack. For most minions that should be more than enough to hit. Base DC is 23.

Using Teleport, turnabout, and Takedown 2 to slaughter as many as I can.
"Whats wrong? You came here expecting to fight a madman, and instead found a god!?"
My Characters
Hound
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby dreamking89 » Fri Oct 19, 2012 11:17 pm

Cheshire Cat

Condition: Confident
Hero Points: 3

As Jack vanishes and Willow tunnels through the ceiling of the room, the two Cheshire Cats vanish, reappearing in front of Eidolon. "Well, while they're off having fun," the two Cats say in unison, "Shall we help ourselves to the prize?" Cheshire and his doppleganger both gesture in unison towards the door out of the room and to the rest of the compound. With that, both of them vanish, reappearing out in the hallway by the staircase.

Cheshire looks at his copy and grins his trademark grin, "There's a few million dollars somewhere on this floor, buddy. Go get your fill." With a nod and a smile, the illusion of the master thief runs down the hallway, off to 'loot' the international currencies room and distract any guards who might make it past Jack or Willow. After his copy turns a corner and out of view, the real Cheshire Cat begins to stroll down the stairs, the glee of taking the gold right from under the Vangard's nose apparent from the grin on his face.

CC is heading downstairs, while his illusion is off to exemplify the meaning of distraction.
It has always been the prerogative of children and half-wits to point out that the emperor has no clothes. But the half-wit remains a half-wit and the emperor remains an emperor.
dreamking89
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby Hound » Sat Oct 20, 2012 6:25 pm

Jack

The man in green raised his hand to the communicator, provided by the local Tech nut. "Eidolon, good sir. I have killed the security in the Lobby and secured the main entrance. I have about a dozen civilians for shields if you need them. Some have soiled themselves, but they are unharmed for the moment." He informed the armored man.

"I have obtained half a dozen security key cards from the men, incase security turns back on, and if you want, I can even get you a few thumbs and eyeballs." The delight in his voice was obvious as he spoke of mutilation. "For now I have used the hand cuffs on the security to lock the metal gates shut. The police will have to use explosives or a cutting torch to get the door open. Either way, we'll hear them."

Despite Eidolon's inability to see him, Jack came to attention and mock saluted the air, "Standing by for further orders." He then laughed in to the communicator.
My Characters
Hound
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby RedBstrd » Sun Oct 21, 2012 5:21 am

Eidolon

Emmanuel St. Cloud rides his glider up to the ground floor, taking in the scene of Jack's carnage.

OOC wrote:We're not sure yet exactly what happened with the results of Jack's actions in round one, nor are we aware of any NPC responses. Still, unless something wildly unexpected happened, Eidolon still plans to perform some crowd control in round 2. If everything goes as planned, the civilians will be good hostages that Eidolon's men and Tyrannosaur can herd along to an easily sealed off room, freeing everyone up to focus on the vault level.

Round 2 actions: Move action to get upstairs. I'll use my second pre-roll you sent me for my Perception check as I get in the area. 2+12=14. Not great, but I should be able to spot most clear dangers remaining.

The evil genius raises his voice at the assembled civilians: "By now, you must be aware that we control your entire security network. No help will come for you, no one can escape. We have downloaded your personnel files and your names, pictures, and addresses are being sent to the rest of our men. You have one chance to survive: do everything we say. If you do, no more of you will die. If you anger us in any way, your families will be held accountable. Decide which future you want. We can access one single vault and you all live, or you could try to cross us and then one day, maybe today, maybe many years from now, you will return home to find your loved ones dead... and worse. So if any of you have concealed weapons or anything else, now is the time to drop them. Otherwise, Jack here might be bowling with the heads of your children by lunchtime."

OOC wrote:For his big action, he is using his third pre-roll that you sent me on Intimidate to coerce all NPC minions who can see and hear him on the ground floor. 20+9=29. The natural 20 gives me a critical success (one degree of success more than usual) and Eidolon probably has circumstance bonuses from having his men, Tyrannosaur... and the scenery from Jack's actions.
RedBstrd
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Kevin_MacTaggert » Sun Oct 21, 2012 9:28 am

Main Level :

Kevin wrote:Eidolon's Intimidation result of 29 gets a Circumstance Bonus of +5, due to the ... circumstances! So, a wild success!

As Jack attacks the Fed security, the citizens inside respond - in terror! They begin screaming and rushing at the large doors, even as vines explode, smashing away metal, glass, and stone to form a twisted, wooden barricade! They were trapped! The sound of the massive vines extending into the area is horrific - metal rending and glass shattering accompanied by a low vibration as the very foundation shifted!

Then, Eidolon & the others emerge onto the scene, with the criminal mastermind addressing the horrified crowd - which draws more screams and shouts as the clients howl for someone to help them! Several people drop the marble floor, nearly paralyzed with terror & even the security officers seem stunned into inaction, as they stare wide-eyed at the villains!

Seeing their world turning upside-down, Captain Holden eyes Jack and orders the remaining officers to take position between the villains and the bank's terrified clients! There's still eighteen officers, but only three draw their automatic handguns, but their weapons are shaking badly as fear washes over them! One of the clients, a younger, well-dressed man, vomits near the door! A security officers wets himself as his hands fumble at his holstered weapon!

To a person, they're all shaken with fear - except for Captain Holden, who steps out in front of his officers & speaks, " Just take it easy ... you don't need to kill anybody else! We'll comply! " He looks at the group near the door, ordering his men to put their weapons away & the few who drew handguns quickly holster them - but one officers drops his weapon & eyeing Jack, leaves it lying on the ground, too afraid to move!

Captain Holden looks again at Eidolon & says with a kind of veiled confidence, " You want the gold - take it. But, since you disabled our Comm - which should've been impossible - I can't contact my other men on the lower levels. They're trained to die in defense of that Vault & rather than see you butcher them, I need to tell them to stand-down. So, I need our radios activated ...."

... the veteran security man eyes Eidolon ...

Kevin wrote:Give me DC15 Insight checks & any of the PCs on this level can respond ...
Kevin_MacTaggert
Mastermind
Mastermind

Postby Kevin_MacTaggert » Sun Oct 21, 2012 11:10 am

Cheshire descents the flight of stairs downward & before he reaches bottom, hears a loud explosion as Willow's vines blast into the upper level overhead! The blast is followed by a cascade of screams, probably coming from people on the main level! Vines wrapped the staircase as if this bank had been buried in some forgotten jungle at the far end of the Earth - beautiful flowers and wicked looking thorns slowly spring from the tapestry of vegetation as Cheshire passes downward - then, ZAWK! VERY LOUD gunfire!

More like LASER-FIRE! Bolts of blinding energy streak out the 10' doorway striking vined-over stairs & walls! The blast impacts send sparks flying at Cheshire's feet! Vault security was supposed to be well-armed, but laser weapons were unexpected & the shooters seem to be firing at anything that approaches the doorway! The walls are titanium alloy & while they withstand the blasts, the stairs & vines are left with a small burning patch wherever blasts connect! It's dark in the stairwell & a low red lighting flickers from the Vault space beyond the doorway. More blasts strike the stairwell, creating a small fire on the last few steps, with the smell of burning metal & wood drifting upwards! As slight smoke vapors drift across the stairwell, a voice barks from the Vault, just beyond Cheshire's field of view ...

" IDENTIFY YOURSELF! THIS FEDERAL FACILITY IS IN LOCK-DOWN MODE & IF YOU FAIL TO IDENTIFY YOURSELF, YOU WILL BE FIRED UPON! "

Kevin wrote:I need a DC15 Insight check, then Cheshire can proceed ...
Kevin_MacTaggert
Mastermind
Mastermind

Postby Hound » Sun Oct 21, 2012 11:13 am

Jack

Insight: 1d20+15=16 (Natural 1 an still pass!)
My Characters
Hound
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby RedBstrd » Sun Oct 21, 2012 12:46 pm

Eidolon

Eidolon sighs at Captain Holden. "... and you were doing so well. Jack, if he suggests anything else that stupid. Please exit the premises immediately, kill his family, and kill the family of every one of his security guards." The villain turns to the guards who holstered their pistols. "You are signing the death warrants of many loved ones, gentlemen. I won't ask you again. Drop your weapons."

OOC wrote:Insight: 1d20+8=27

"Here's what we'll do," Eidolon informs the disobedient man. "You will accompany us downstairs, handcuffed. You will not have radio access. If your men do not stand down, well, family reunions will be a lot less sparsely attended around here..." He then orders: "Hold out your hands." To Tyrannosaur, he advises: "Take this one by his wrists."
RedBstrd
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby dreamking89 » Sun Oct 21, 2012 10:33 pm

Cheshire Cat
Condition: :twisted:
HP: 3

Despite the warning shot from the vault guard, Cheshire Cat's grin only leaves his face for a second. He puts a hand to his ear, activating the communicator. "Gentlemen and lady, The Cat says as he walks to the edge of the stairwell, beginning to walk up the wall, then across the ceiling as confidently as if he was the only person who knew gravity had been wrong this whole time, I don't know what you're all doing up there, cause the real party is about to start down here." With that, he cracked his neck and began to work his magic.

"NO!! DON'T!!! PLEASE, AAAAAAAAA- the guard in the vault hears the voice of someone on the stairs get cut off by an inhuman roar and the wet crunch of a body slamming against a wall.

The guard looked as a huge, horrific, black foot steps down the stairs, revealing a huge demonic scaled monstrosity covered in blood. It's arms were as big around as tree trunks and ended in wicked curved claws, it's head was topped with rams horns and it scanned the room with glowing red eyes. The nightmarish creature grinned, revealing a mouth filled with jagged, bloodstained sharp fangs and roared again.

The guard needs to make a Will roll and beat a DC 20.
It has always been the prerogative of children and half-wits to point out that the emperor has no clothes. But the half-wit remains a half-wit and the emperor remains an emperor.
dreamking89
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby Kevin_MacTaggert » Mon Oct 22, 2012 6:48 am

When Eidolon makes his final command to the security men, they all place their weapons on the floor of the bank lobby, but still try to maintain a wall of defense between the villains & bank clients. Captain Holden presents his hands & Tyrannosaur snags both hands in his one gigantic red-scaled paw! The security chief is handcuffed & the group begins its short journey to the "mother lode"; the Fed Vault containing $150 Billion in gold! Then the shooting starts! Willow, Eidolon & the rest hear unusual weapon fire coming from the lower levels - and Cheshire contacts them with an explanation.

Captain Holden looks around at the villains as the group moves for the nearby staircase, " I told you. They wont surrender the Vault - maybe not even under orders. The wealth of over 140 nations is held here ... are you sure you've thought this through ? Why throw your lives away like this ? "

Kevin wrote:Holden is giving it his best shot trying to persuade the villains, but the team hasn't met a significant threat, as yet - Players can post
Kevin_MacTaggert
Mastermind
Mastermind

PreviousNext

Return to M&M Game Room