[3e] Batch 9 [OOC]

This forum is the place for Mutants & Masterminds Play-By-Post games. Please read the M&M Game Room rules before starting or joining a game. Enjoy!
Millennium
Mastermind
Mastermind

[3e] Batch 9 [OOC]

Post by Millennium » Mon Jul 30, 2012 12:42 pm

Checking interest in a game. I have to admit that the entire idea isn't mine (it's based on the creation of a guy I used to game with years ago. I've always liked the setting).
It’s been a some time since you discovered you were one of them; you’re a Super.

You’ve practiced with your new abilities, doing your best to keep them under wraps and hiding them from your friends and family, but you're finally ready to do what you're supposed to do; you have to register with the government.

You don't know why you held off for so long, but the decision to finally do it took a weight off your shoulders..The same day you picked up The Form is the same day a package arrived at your home. It was unmarked except for your name and contained a non-descript DVD. Eventually curiosity got the better of you and you stuck it in your player.

When it started all you could see was a flickering fire place, but then the image drew back and you could see a table, upon which was sitting a copy of the very form you’d just picked up. Then a man’s voice cut in.

“I need you to listen to me very carefully. Don’t fill in the form. If I’m right, everything we’ve been told about the Supers is a lie. If you fill out that form then you’re signing your life or your soul away and I don’t want that to happen.

I know the history you’ve been told, but there’s a lot you don’t know.

The first Super you probably ever heard of was The Arch-Angel. The sight of him catching that plane in ’98 was a something to see sure enough, but he wasn’t the first. Nor was he actually called Arch-Angel at the time, but we’ll get to that.

The first reported Super on the planet earth was a man called The American. He appeared in ’38, beating up an entire town of men that were trying to lynch a poor black kid. Mob of 100 men armed with forks, fire and shotguns and he took them all down got the kid to safety. Eyewitnesses put him at over 6’6”, with a shock of white hair. No-one hears about it these days because the furthest the story got was the local paper. The government of the time did everything they could to quash the story and they did a good job. They spent the remainder of the next 7 years trying to hunt him down.

I won’t say how, not yet, but I know there was an incident in ’39 which spooked the American military; The American was more powerful than they thought. I know why The American stayed out of the war because, in a message he sent to the President, he said “…someone like me shouldn’t be controlled by someone like you”. I know in ’44 the government got a positive ID on The American. I know that in June ’45 members of the armed forces were instructed to capture a woman called Rose Connolly and take her to a facility in the Jornada del Muerto desert. I know that in July ’45 they detonated the first nuclear bomb on that very site.

After that, The American was never seen again.

In ’97 a government building in Nebraska, allegedly a training facility for the military medics, blew up. It made enough of a noise to make the national news. The incident was blamed on a group of terrorists so vague in description that it could have been anyone. That year the country went all X-Files, with stories popping up left right and centre of strange activity happening all over.

In ’98 Air America flight 185 started coming down over Los Angeles and a man leapt from the ground and caught it in mid-air, bringing it gently to land. All the official pictures of the incident show him in that white costume of his, but if you actually find an original paper print from the time he was just in jeans and a jacket. Arch-Angel had arrived.

After that Supers began to crop up at an alarming rate; in ‘98 we had 3 officially ‘sighted’ Supers, in ’99 we had 12, in ’00 there were an estimated 52 Supers in the US with one reported in the UK, and by ’01 that number was closer to 200 in the US with 14 others worldwide.

Scientists around the world worked flat out to try and figure out what was happening, but there are very few people willing to become guinea pigs. Evolution got bandied about a lot, with talk of alleles and heredity etc. but the message was confused. People got scared and the government reacted. They asked Supers to register, to make themselves known and sign up to initiatives to help find ways to make them useful to society. In ’01 the woman known as Maelstrom… well, we know what happened that day.

In October 2001 Congress made it mandatory for anyone with Powers to register and hand themselves over the government.

In return Supers were offered a cushy package – government pay and pension, if you enrolled with the 4Colour programme. You got a costume and a mask, becoming part of a ‘police’ force whose entire job was to protect the world against morally bankrupt supers and other large scale threats.

Normal cops weren’t happy I’ll tell you that much.

Today the US Defense League comprises the 5 big guns of The Arch-Angel, Shimmer, The Signal, Ivory and Thunder. Each state has an official 4Colour team, shaking the total number of government sanctioned Supers out to 255. All their needs are met by The Company. What about everyone else?

I know the government line. A large percentage of the population that register as Super have abilities which are minor at best, most likely to be a nuisance than useful. But we had confirmed sightings of around 200 ‘properly’ powered individuals in 2001. It’s 2012 and not all of the 255 were included in those early numbers.

I think the government is lying about the registration program.

I think the government knows why you are what you are, and I think they’re trying to hide the truth.

I’m going to sound like a conspiracy nut, but I think that the Colours and the Comics and the Commercials are paving the way for something very sinister.

If you believe me, If you’re willing to take the blue pill, If you’re willing to forego registration, ignore The Company dollar and, perhaps, willing to be branded a terrorist, then please come and help me.

All you need to do is take the disc out and snap it in half.

I’ll do the rest.”

PL8 game, 120pp. Characters have to be human and have to have powers. Effectively all Supers are "mutants" Their powers just appeared spontaneously one day but you've got them under control now. The world is as described above. Supers are a new phenomenon that people are beginning to get blown away by - when they first appeared on scene people were scared but now they're starting to become celebrities.

Max trade-off of offense/defense would be +/- 2

List of 'banned' powers:
Anything to do with Time travel or control
No power absorption or mimicry or any kind of control

Inspirations for the feel of the world:
Brian Bendis' POWERS series
Garth Ennis' THE BOYS
(as suggested further down) The computer game PROTOTYPE
Straczynski's RISING STARS

Other Character Notes:
Characters must have powers, the group that's being assembled are all Supers

Preferably the characters haven't operated as 4Colour Masks. The only people allowed to operate as "Heroes" are those registered with the government. If the characters have put on a mask, they will have done so illegally.

A character with a Device or other Super equipment may be allowed, assuming they have a lot of focus on Enhanced intelligence and other 'brain' powers... but if I'm honest that's a very slim chance.
Last edited by Millennium on Thu Aug 16, 2012 2:59 pm, edited 6 times in total.

Mr.Sandman
Superhero
Superhero

Re: Batch 9 [Interest Check]

Post by Mr.Sandman » Mon Jul 30, 2012 1:10 pm

3e? Any problem with a postcog? He has to touch an item to get an impression of events that have happened to the item. When he touches something owned by a super he channels their powers. He can only absorbe 1 set of powers in 24a hours and keeps the powers for the same amount of time. Sound too complicated?

Millennium
Mastermind
Mastermind

Re: Batch 9 [Interest Check]

Post by Millennium » Mon Jul 30, 2012 1:14 pm

Yes it's 3e.

Afraid I'm going to say no to a Power absorber, purely because the interaction with other Powered individuals may vary and I'd prefer everyone to have their own, fully-functioning power set.

Mr.Sandman
Superhero
Superhero

Re: [3e] Batch 9 [Interest Check]

Post by Mr.Sandman » Mon Jul 30, 2012 1:26 pm

Ok, meant to say dead super but i will come up with something else.

Shadow13
Zealot
Zealot

Post by Shadow13 » Mon Jul 30, 2012 8:11 pm

I will have a background up soon.

Probaly a energy controler/paragon. Will see what I can make at PL 8.
[url=http://militarysignatures.com][img]http://militarysignatures.com/signatures/member13977.png[/img][/url]

ursinethemadbear
Zealot
Zealot

Post by ursinethemadbear » Mon Jul 30, 2012 9:28 pm

I am considering a few ideas.

A Teleporter that uses his portals in a variety of ways, including offense and defense.

or

The Repairman, who can fix any broken or damaged object with a touch. (Incidently, the Hoover Dam is well within his size limits for repairing objects, just to give you an idea of the possibilities.)

or

A power nullifier, who will probably be a cop.
Life is what happens while I am busy gaming.
I use DCA, unless I state otherwise, all my posts are for DCA. I assume that 3ed is the same, but might be wrong in specific areas.

Hound
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Post by Hound » Mon Jul 30, 2012 11:08 pm

Gambler, Mind Read, X-ray vision. Thinking of being a gun slinger.

Fun times.
"Whats wrong? You came here expecting to fight a madman, and instead found a god!?"
My Characters

Millennium
Mastermind
Mastermind

Post by Millennium » Mon Jul 30, 2012 11:50 pm

Sorry, no power nullifiers either :-)

insaniac99
Firebrand
Firebrand

Post by insaniac99 » Tue Jul 31, 2012 2:15 am

I'm interested in this. I'm leaning towards a martial artist with healing and maybe chi powers.

Herosyndrome
Cohort
Cohort

Post by Herosyndrome » Tue Jul 31, 2012 2:33 am

I'm interested.

I might make a kind of mentalist character.

Could also go with a darkness manipulator, otherworldly dark powers and such.

Could also go with a low level mystic.
My Blog: Geek Intellectualist -- http://geekintellectualist.wordpress.com/

Millennium
Mastermind
Mastermind

Post by Millennium » Tue Jul 31, 2012 5:53 am

No mystics. All Supers have the same origin of spontaneous power appearance, much like mutants. I've edited the OP to make this clearer

Bluecross
Mastermind
Mastermind

Post by Bluecross » Tue Jul 31, 2012 6:05 am

The team:

James Warden - Optimus Primeval
Nimbus - HeroSyndrome
Crusher - BlueCross
Vector - ZenGypsy
Speed - Timothy
Wildcard - Sweetja713

Updated submissions list; in order of posting.

Any changes or errors please notify me and I'll correct them.

James Warden OptimusPrimieval Tactical Mastermind / Weapon Master

Abigael Nightshade kirinke Electro-Magnetism Controller {{ ?? withdrawn ?? }}

Richard Moss aka Fallout darkslayer Radiation Control powers

Helen Bridge aka Crusher Bluecross Earth-themed Powerhouse

Aquarian Walking Dad Water-themed Warrior

Nimbus HeroSyndrome Light Controller

Calvin Banner aka Transport Ursinethemadbear Teleportation/Portal controller

Dan “Wildman” Savage Hound Shapeshifter

Adriene McConnel aka Tempest kirinke Weather controller

Vector Zen_Gypsy Telekinesis powers

Robert Feuerborn aka Speed timothy Speedster

DOB Spectrum Immortal Amnesiac

Nolan North Adventure Dan Paragon

Wildcard sweetja713 Luck Controller
Last edited by Bluecross on Thu Aug 16, 2012 4:49 pm, edited 10 times in total.
"I know gun fu"

Crusher - Batch 9

Curt Mardis :- Tracer - Albright Institute

Connor MacLeod - LoEP

Minos - Wild Cards

GM for Toledo Knights

insaniac99
Firebrand
Firebrand

Post by insaniac99 » Tue Jul 31, 2012 6:11 am

Millennium wrote:No mystics. All Supers have the same origin of spontaneous power appearance, much like mutants. I've edited the OP to make this clearer
I'm assuming chi powers are out too then? I still plan on a martial artist and some complimentary powers, regeneration perhaps, maybe flight, I might still look as some of the traditional "chi powers" but jsut being a mutant origin.

Millennium
Mastermind
Mastermind

Post by Millennium » Tue Jul 31, 2012 7:57 am

No problem with powers that have a martial arts or chi feel to them... But chi couldn't be the direct source

Arknight
Compatriot
Compatriot

Post by Arknight » Tue Jul 31, 2012 8:43 am

This seems like a very interesting concept for a game and I'm interested.

I'm thinking Density Manipulator. Always seen as a bad kid, grew up on the streets. Life changed after a joyride in a stolen car. Car crashes and character thrown through the front of the car and to safety. As the car catches fire with his friend in it, the police arrive just in time to see the door torn off and lying on the ground with the character pulling his friend out of the fire.

Taken in by one of the officers, he thrived. Until a drunk driver killed his new family. Not knowing where to turn and knowing his abilities, he considers registration and that's when he receives the DVD package. :)

Any idea what city/town the game will be happening in or will it be an all over the place thing at the beginning?