Mutants & Masterminds
HQ    ABOUT M&M    SUPER-VISION    GIMMICK'S GADGETS    M&M SUPERLINK    ATOMIC THINK TANK    M&M SHOP
Saving the world, one d20 roll at a time

Freedom's Avengers: Earth's Unlikeliest Heroes OOC

This forum is the place for Mutants & Masterminds Play-By-Post games. Please read the M&M Game Room rules before starting or joining a game. Enjoy!

Moderators: The Mod Squad, The Justice League

Re: Freedom's Avengers: Earth's Unlikeliest Heroes OOC

Postby American_Patriot » Mon Oct 22, 2012 10:30 pm

Crazyivan777 wrote:I'm hoping all goes well for you, man. I'll say that Best Buy has never been my tech-place of choice, but then again, I was using them pre-geek-squad days, so maybe they're better?

Anyway, this past weekend was long and stressy- opening night for the show- and now on my 'days off', I have to do a major clean of the apartment (inspection on Wednesday) and set up to start chauffeuring my dad around (his ALS has progressed to the point that he doesn't have the physical strength to turn a steering wheel any longer). So... Fun fun fun. :/

I'll keep you both in my prayer my friend. :)

It's been a busy weekend for all of us i guess. the only good thing about busy weekends/weeks is that you don't have time to think about the things that hurts. :) I bought my neice and nephews their halloween costumes this year. and.. when i did that, i saw the costumes that Jack and Zachary would have wanted... and i broke down. the bad thing about those busy times is, that sometimes that hurt catches you when you least expect it. and you spend time wanting to only remember the good things. but those good things reminds you of what you've lost.

Tell your father that I will keep you both in my prayers. and remind him that our bodies my be broken, but as long as we use that the right way... our spirits become unbreakable. and we can do things that others find... imposible. :)
American Patriot (MSG Nathaniel Hale Spaight, US Army - Ret.), American Meta-Human Super-Soldier (PL10/150pp.)
"Sometimes... success is measured just one little victory at a time."
American_Patriot
Zealot
Zealot

Postby Bending Equalist » Tue Oct 23, 2012 8:49 am

Am I still being controlled?
Stuff I've Made - Obligatory Character Thread
Bending Equalist
Sidekick
Sidekick

Postby American_Patriot » Tue Oct 23, 2012 9:00 am

Bending Equalist wrote:Am I still being controlled?

Nope. your character is all yours. :)
American Patriot (MSG Nathaniel Hale Spaight, US Army - Ret.), American Meta-Human Super-Soldier (PL10/150pp.)
American_Patriot
Zealot
Zealot

Postby FuzzyBoots » Tue Oct 23, 2012 6:03 pm

Re: Xeno of Walking Dad.

McGuffin wrote:It's probably best to leave that until he's had time to properly convert it from 3E to 2E. Right now the sheet's still half-finished.

I'll second that. Too many things are essentially unfinished. I'm also a bit edgy on the idea of a dynamic array composed of multiple powers, including a Variable. It seems like that offers too much leeway to pick and choose for the small cost involved.
FuzzyBoots
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Walking Dad » Wed Oct 24, 2012 1:47 am

FuzzyBoots wrote:Re: Xeno of Walking Dad.

McGuffin wrote:It's probably best to leave that until he's had time to properly convert it from 3E to 2E. Right now the sheet's still half-finished.

I'll second that. Too many things are essentially unfinished. I'm also a bit edgy on the idea of a dynamic array composed of multiple powers, including a Variable. It seems like that offers too much leeway to pick and choose for the small cost involved.

Removed some of the multiple power from the dynamic array and the variable entirely from it. Points and specific language should now also be all changed to 2e standard.
English isn't my native language. Have patience, please.

WD's PbP characters (3e)
Martian Manhunter builds
Walking Dad
Luminary
Luminary

Postby FuzzyBoots » Thu Oct 25, 2012 6:57 am

Since I'll be GMing the next sequence, this is a semi-official commentary. :) I haven't sat down and checked the math.

Walking Dad wrote:Shapeshifter: Shapeshift 1 (5pp) • 8 points

Just as a general thing with Variable, what do you see as the extent of what he can do with this?

Walking Dad wrote:Natural Telepath: Super-Senses 2 (Mental Awareness, Radius) • 2 points

That will make you able to detect the use of Mental powers, not to detect minds. Is that your intent?

Walking Dad wrote:• Density: Enhanced Strength 20, Impervious Toughness 13, Sustained • 1 point

It probably goes without saying, but gradations of the form will have to buy proportional amounts of each when scaling. I'm also a bit uneasy at allowing Impervious that far over power level. Would you be willing to cap it at 10 ranks of Impervious? That would also make it nicely proportional to the strength increase.

Walking Dad wrote:• Ghostform: Insubstantial 4 (Selective, Subtle 1), Concealment (Visual) 4 • 2 points

Just noting that since neither of these powers have a "fewer ranks" setup, you'll be using 30 pp of your array any time you have this active.

Walking Dad wrote:• Mind Scan: Super-Senses: Detect (Minds) ranged (2) [Radius (1), Accurate (2), Acute (1), Analytical (1), Extended 4, Rapid 4]) • 2 points

As with Ghostform, just noting that this power, too, doesn't really break up, so it's 15 pp any time you use it.

Walking Dad wrote:• Mental Broadcast: Communication 4 (Mental, Worldwide, Extra: Area, selective, Subtle, Feature: Two-Way) • 2 points

Communication 4 is "1 mile" in 2E, but given it only costs you 3 x rank + 2 pp (Selective is a feat, not an Extra and Two-way is an Extra, not a Feat), you have the capability to push it up to Communication 11 if you put all of your points into it. Communication 9 is the breakpoint for covering the Earth. As a side note, technically speaking, you can't turn Extras on and off and Selective requires specifying who you don't want to use the power on, so area broadcasts may be a bit hard to screen from others unless you have specific cases in mind. That said, talking is a free action, so you're probably in decent shape in most cases.

Walking Dad wrote:Feats: All-Out Attack, Attack Specialization (Unarmed) 4, Improved Initiative 2, Luck 2, Power Attack, Uncanny Dodge (mental)

In case I forget to mention it below, your attack specialization takes you over caps when using your Density form, taking your unarmed bonus to +12 with +12 damage. I'm guessing that the AoA/PA is meant to take advantage of greater strength/toughness in your Density form, but it seems a bit odd that a peaceful scientist would be sporting feats usually paired up with berserker warriors. Lastly, unless you have your Detect (Minds) power up, you have no mental sense to detect anything not related to mental powers, so your Uncanny Dodge may not come into play quite as often.

Walking Dad wrote:Skills: Bluff 6 (+6), Craft: Electronic 2 (+3), Disguise 6 (+6), Drive 1 (+1), Investigate 4 (+5), Language 3 (English, Hindi, Lor), Notice 5 (+8), Pilot 1 (+1), Search 4 (+5), Sense Motive 2 (+5), Stealth 2 (+2)

Again, commenting on the engineer/scientist background, he doesn't seem to sport many skills related to who he is. He's also, in general, a bit light on his skills. As a side note, you could probably address this by indicating that the process did something to him mentally, either obscuring his memories or simply making him more bestial.

Walking Dad wrote:Combat:
Initiative +0
Attack Bonus: +4
Force Vision -, Perception, Damage 10
Unarmed +8, Close, Damage 2/12
Defense +7, Toughness +13
Fortitude +9, Reflex +7, Will +11

Your saves are a bit on the high side compared to the others, but probably not too far off. As noted above, unarmed adds to your melee range attack bonus, so your Attack Specialization puts you over caps when using your Density. Changing Attack Specialization to Attack Focus (Melee) would be an easy fix which also lets him use close-range weaponry at full bonus. You could also reduce your number of ranks in Attack Specialization down to 2.

Walking Dad wrote:Complications:
Identity: Visitor maintains a human identity as Ajay Sidhu, an Ind-American scientist, and wants to protect both his own secret and the fact that the real Ajay Sidhu perished some time ago.
Motivation—Responsibility: Visitor strongly believes it is his responsibility to user his powers to help others.
Prejudice: Visitor’s alien appearance and origins sometimes provoke mistrust and hostility.

^_^ Given you don't have Morph to indicate that he can look like Ajay, which means you've got this insectoid creature going around in a labcoat with a nametag of "Ajay" and hoping no one notices the difference...
FuzzyBoots
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Walking Dad » Thu Oct 25, 2012 12:14 pm

FuzzyBoots wrote:Since I'll be GMing the next sequence, this is a semi-official commentary. :) I haven't sat down and checked the math.

Walking Dad wrote:Shapeshifter: Shapeshift 1 (5pp) • 8 points

Just as a general thing with Variable, what do you see as the extent of what he can do with this?

Changing to a specific human to get a quick disguise, stretching arms, growing claws for Improved critical and changing the damage to slashing. Maybe getting an animal-like supersense (dog-nose, hawk-eyes)...

Walking Dad wrote:Natural Telepath: Super-Senses 2 (Mental Awareness, Radius) • 2 points

That will make you able to detect the use of Mental powers, not to detect minds. Is that your intent?

Yes, it is the intend. Not very useful, but any psychic character should have this.

Walking Dad wrote:• Density: Enhanced Strength 20, Impervious Toughness 13, Sustained • 1 point

It probably goes without saying, but gradations of the form will have to buy proportional amounts of each when scaling. I'm also a bit uneasy at allowing Impervious that far over power level. Would you be willing to cap it at 10 ranks of Impervious? That would also make it nicely proportional to the strength increase.

No problem, I will cap it to 10.

Walking Dad wrote:• Ghostform: Insubstantial 4 (Selective, Subtle 1), Concealment (Visual) 4 • 2 points

Just noting that since neither of these powers have a "fewer ranks" setup, you'll be using 30 pp of your array any time you have this active.

So I cannot only activate one of the powers? Seems like I will have to get 2 more pp somewhere...

Walking Dad wrote:• Mind Scan: Super-Senses: Detect (Minds) ranged (2) [Radius (1), Accurate (2), Acute (1), Analytical (1), Extended 4, Rapid 4]) • 2 points

As with Ghostform, just noting that this power, too, doesn't really break up, so it's 15 pp any time you use it.

that is fine.

Walking Dad wrote:• Mental Broadcast: Communication 4 (Mental, Worldwide, Extra: Area, selective, Subtle, Feature: Two-Way) • 2 points

Communication 4 is "1 mile" in 2E, but given it only costs you 3 x rank + 2 pp (Selective is a feat, not an Extra and Two-way is an Extra, not a Feat), you have the capability to push it up to Communication 11 if you put all of your points into it. Communication 9 is the breakpoint for covering the Earth. As a side note, technically speaking, you can't turn Extras on and off and Selective requires specifying who you don't want to use the power on, so area broadcasts may be a bit hard to screen from others unless you have specific cases in mind. That said, talking is a free action, so you're probably in decent shape in most cases.

Cannot selective work the other way around? Specifying who you want to contact? And sorry about the ranks, this is a 3e-ism :(

Walking Dad wrote:Feats: All-Out Attack, Attack Specialization (Unarmed) 4, Improved Initiative 2, Luck 2, Power Attack, Uncanny Dodge (mental)

In case I forget to mention it below, your attack specialization takes you over caps when using your Density form, taking your unarmed bonus to +12 with +12 damage. I'm guessing that the AoA/PA is meant to take advantage of greater strength/toughness in your Density form, but it seems a bit odd that a peaceful scientist would be sporting feats usually paired up with berserker warriors. Lastly, unless you have your Detect (Minds) power up, you have no mental sense to detect anything not related to mental powers, so your Uncanny Dodge may not come into play quite as often.

Yes he can fight. Were is the "peaceful" from? And I have seen many 2e Spider-man builds with Danger sense (mental). Why does this work, but not Uncanny Dodge?

Walking Dad wrote:Skills: Bluff 6 (+6), Craft: Electronic 2 (+3), Disguise 6 (+6), Drive 1 (+1), Investigate 4 (+5), Language 3 (English, Hindi, Lor), Notice 5 (+8), Pilot 1 (+1), Search 4 (+5), Sense Motive 2 (+5), Stealth 2 (+2)

Again, commenting on the engineer/scientist background, he doesn't seem to sport many skills related to who he is. He's also, in general, a bit light on his skills. As a side note, you could probably address this by indicating that the process did something to him mentally, either obscuring his memories or simply making him more bestial.

You are right, I will take a second look at the background.

Walking Dad wrote:Combat:
Initiative +0
Attack Bonus: +4
Force Vision -, Perception, Damage 10
Unarmed +8, Close, Damage 2/12
Defense +7, Toughness +13
Fortitude +9, Reflex +7, Will +11

Your saves are a bit on the high side compared to the others, but probably not too far off. As noted above, unarmed adds to your melee range attack bonus, so your Attack Specialization puts you over caps when using your Density. Changing Attack Specialization to Attack Focus (Melee) would be an easy fix which also lets him use close-range weaponry at full bonus. You could also reduce your number of ranks in Attack Specialization down to 2.

Will do the later and shift the points toward science skills.

Walking Dad wrote:Complications:
Identity: Visitor maintains a human identity as Ajay Sidhu, an Ind-American scientist, and wants to protect both his own secret and the fact that the real Ajay Sidhu perished some time ago.
Motivation—Responsibility: Visitor strongly believes it is his responsibility to user his powers to help others.
Prejudice: Visitor’s alien appearance and origins sometimes provoke mistrust and hostility.

^_^ Given you don't have Morph to indicate that he can look like Ajay, which means you've got this insectoid creature going around in a labcoat with a nametag of "Ajay" and hoping no one notices the difference...
Able to shapeshift to a human and having ranks in disguise should help a bit, right? :wink:
English isn't my native language. Have patience, please.

WD's PbP characters (3e)
Martian Manhunter builds
Walking Dad
Luminary
Luminary

Postby FuzzyBoots » Thu Oct 25, 2012 1:25 pm

Walking Dad wrote:Changing to a specific human to get a quick disguise, stretching arms, growing claws for Improved critical and changing the damage to slashing. Maybe getting an animal-like supersense (dog-nose, hawk-eyes)...

Ah. I forgot about the possibility of using the points from Variable for his Morph. That would apply towards my comment about his appearance under complications. :)

Walking Dad wrote:So I cannot only activate one of the powers? Seems like I will have to get 2 more pp somewhere...

:-D If that were allowed, then you could put all of your powers into one dynamic array slot and then swap points between them. I'll have to check core references, but I believe it's always been a thing that if you have multiple powers in a dynamic array slot, you can't choose to "just not use" some of them. I personally go for requiring proportional use thereof to avoid what I feel is almost as much a dodge as above with all the powers in one slot.

Walking Dad wrote:Cannot selective work the other way around? Specifying who you want to contact? And sorry about the ranks, this is a 3e-ism :(

If American Patriot is alright with that, I guess I would be too. That would mean that you would include those people you can locate when you choose Selective (which means that you have to be able to accurately perceive them as I understand the rules).

Walking Dad wrote:Yes he can fight. Were is the "peaceful" from? And I have seen many 2e Spider-man builds with Danger sense (mental). Why does this work, but not Uncanny Dodge?

I think that it was the characterization of his race as being "peaceful" and his primary job being engineer/scientist. :) Admittedly, that was before the Grue invasion, so things may have changed. As regards Uncanny Dodge, that and Danger Sense specify that it works against targets not concealed from that sense. By default, Mental has a personal range, which suggests that Uncanny Dodge would only apply in cases where the attack has a mental component. *wry grin* And yeah, a lot of people use Mental as a sense type for Uncanny Dodge or Danger Sense, both because it somewhat fits genre (characters more often say "I've got a bad feeling about this" than "something smells funny..." in the comics) and because it's so seldom counterable (how often do you see someone with Mental Concealment by itself versus Aural or Visual Concealment? Plus, Mental might not be blocked by most obstacles and it's debateable as to whether a Stealth check does anything to prevent mental detection). My feelings on it is that Uncanny Dodge can't protect against what it can't detect, thus the need for a touch to ranged mental sense that would apply to the attack.

Walking Dad wrote:Able to shapeshift to a human and having ranks in disguise should help a bit, right? :wink:

^_^ Indeed, when he's spending Shapeshift points towards Morph, he probably hides decently well (+5 bonus for each rank of Morph means that if he bends all of his Shapeshifting to Morph (one form), he gets a +25 to his Disguise check. As mentioned above, I hadn't considered that aspect.
FuzzyBoots
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby American_Patriot » Thu Oct 25, 2012 6:22 pm

Hi everyone... i have good news and bad news.

Bad news first, my laptop is gonna need to be put in the shop for at least three days. thanks to the problems with money thanks to everyone in the family needing help this past month, so i will be taking the laptop to the Best Buy on the first. the upside was that they think the problem is in the hardware and not the software... and that my warranty covers hardware issues.

Now for the good news...

MY SHIELD ARRIVED TODAY!

My friend in Canada created the Shield used by American Patriot for me. :) :does the Snopy happy dance:

I'll do what i can to get some pictures of it as soon as I can. Will be trying to get back online as quckily as i can. sorry for the problems with my laptop. :( if it does turn out to be an issue of a virus or maleware i will be so upset. I've done everything i can to keep up with the updates.

If Thunderer & Hex Mistress can post their actions... i will post what happens next. :)
American_Patriot
Zealot
Zealot

Postby FuzzyBoots » Sun Oct 28, 2012 12:21 pm

American Patriot emailed me, said that he should be able to post late this afternoon and get us going again. I've also run my idea for the next adventure arc past him and he's good for it. Should dovetail nicely.
FuzzyBoots
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby FuzzyBoots » Sun Oct 28, 2012 8:43 pm

Anyone else feel like one of the New Warriors in the Stamford Incident?
FuzzyBoots
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Bending Equalist » Mon Oct 29, 2012 8:22 pm

Yeesh!
Bending Equalist
Sidekick
Sidekick

Postby Crazyivan777 » Mon Oct 29, 2012 8:52 pm

Not familiar with that. Details?
Crazyivan777
Zealot
Zealot

Postby FuzzyBoots » Mon Oct 29, 2012 9:01 pm

Crazyivan777 wrote:Not familiar with that. Details?

To make a long story short, the New Warriors closed in on a group of villains in Stamford which included Nitro, who could explode over a small area. When they moved in, he instead went off in an explosion sufficient to destroy much of the surrounding area. The New Warriors were labeled as having caused the explosion for rushing in, sparking the beginning of the Marvel Superhero Registration Act. Ultimately, it turned out the encounter was rigged. Someone had set Nitro up with a chemical to enhance the explosions and was ready to make sure there was a disaster no matter what so that they could put their political machinations in place.
FuzzyBoots
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Bending Equalist » Mon Oct 29, 2012 10:04 pm

By the way, I'll be posting full blast tomorrow. Sorry for the delay.
Bending Equalist
Sidekick
Sidekick

PreviousNext

Return to M&M Game Room