From the Ashes Reborn (IC)

This forum is the place for Mutants & Masterminds Play-By-Post games. Please read the M&M Game Room rules before starting or joining a game. Enjoy!
Locked
Spectrum
Titan
Titan
Posts: 3831
Joined: Thu Jul 05, 2012 1:26 pm

From the Ashes Reborn (IC)

Post by Spectrum » Tue Jul 24, 2012 2:58 pm

OOC thread: http://www.atomicthinktank.com/viewtopi ... 7#p1023397

It was a dark and stormy night. No, that's an understatement, right now, it was so bad you could barely see your feet much less trying to get home. In an area where AC was something that people needed maybe for a week or two of a year this Summer had been unbearable. Between the significantly higher than record temperatures and the rainfall that was challenging the records, it had been a muggy Summer. The city was already hard at work trying to keep people safe, well, safer from the heat. The efforts had redoubled after a few sick and elderly passed away. Even normal people were sometimes seeing things after being heat exhausted. As big as the city was and as hard economically as they were, people still had the sense to try to look after reach other, at least when they weren't trying to strangle each other as tempers flared along with the temperatures.

But, for the moment, you could all be trapped in a far worse place than Remember When. Remember When had opened a few months ago and was still in that awkward are they going to make it or not stage. Clearly the owner, Rachel, didn't have much of a sense of sales presentation. The store was filled with mismatched rack after rack of books, VHS, comics, dvds and random nicknacks. Truth be told, if you were trying to find something through a logical search pattern you better give up before you started, you weren't going to find it. On the other hand, if you reached out and grabbed something at random, chances were you were going to find something that you didn't know that you really wanted. That book from your childhood that you read a hundred times but had forgotten about it as you got older- there. That CD from your new favorite artist that no one had heard of, well, you just laid your fingers on it.

There were other things that kept people coming back to Remember When. Rachel may look like the winds had their way with her, but she Listened to people and remembered. Not just vaguely hearing out of her ear, she actually treated what people said to her like it is important. It didn't hurt that she was cute in an old enough to be your Mom's youngest sister kind of way. Rachel's constant companion was a large brown cat with sweeping elven ears (looks like a caracal), It wasn't unusual for there to be some kind of odd little hot out of oven treat either. They were never what you would see on Martha Stewart either, they were always well.. politely said.. different. Good, but different. In the back rooms, there was supposed to be a small recording studio. A small apartment is upstairs.

The hour goes late, curfews are soon, and the hour of closing is coming soon. On the other hand, the rain isn't showing any signs of lifting anytime soon. Rachel is behind the counter trying, in her scattered way, to look through some job applications and shows no signs of wanting to shoo you out into that mess.
Okay, hopefully set enough of a scene to start you folk off. Plenty of more information is available with the right actions (and rolls). Go!

insaniac99
Firebrand
Firebrand
Posts: 898
Joined: Wed Aug 27, 2008 11:12 am

Re: From the Ashes Reborn (IC)

Post by insaniac99 » Tue Jul 24, 2012 3:54 pm

Name: Edward Norton
Condition: bored
Hero Points: 1

*Sigh* Edward was trying to find something interesting and new in the shelves, but the disorganized nature sure wasn't helping; in fact it kept him rather distracted as he couldn't resist the urge to put some sort of order into the place as he browsed.

A bystander could easily see where he had been solely because of the rafts of neatly organized shelves amidst the sea of disorganized minutiae. One shelf would have everything orderly and sorted alphabetically while those above and below it are completely jumbled as he spotted something that might look interesting and moved onto a different area.

As he continued his random search Eddy listened for some of the other customers to talk about something interesting that he could join in on; he had no desire to go home yet, his downloads wouldn't be done for another hour anyway.

cobalt-blue
Superhero
Superhero
Posts: 1965
Joined: Mon May 18, 2009 6:56 am
Location: Russell, KY
Contact:

Re: From the Ashes Reborn (IC)

Post by cobalt-blue » Tue Jul 24, 2012 4:13 pm

Shannon looked out at the rain and wind coming down in the dark street outside and thought about his little sports car. They say that boys his age hadn't yet developed the parts of their brains that fully recognizes danger so they tended to by hazy in that area. But there were some things that could cut through that haze. The idea of those powerful winds, the heavy rain and driving his Miata home at right now worried him.

But then again, his mom had been on him about switching to the private school in upstate New York. He wasn't sure why she wanted him to go away to school, but it was starting to irritate him. At least his dad was backing him up for now. However, breaking curfew right now might not endear his situation to his mom any more than it already was. Taking out his cell phone, he sent a text to both of his parents- easier to text than explain: Storm outside awful. Safe at Remember When. Will be home as soon as the rain and wind let's up. Love ya. S-

Smiling to himself, he went up to the counter to see if Rachel had any more of those weird apple spice cookies, and to get another soda. At least there was something worth reading here. He'd found a book that was a mixture of Danish folklore and history that reminded him of the tales his Granddad used to tell. He was especially liking the tale of Queen Sigridtha- a strong woman who refused to back down and when slapped and called a name, had dealt with the man rather succinctly.

Stopping at the counter, scratched the brown cat under the chin and waited until Rachel shifted one application from her hand to another before asking, "Do you have any more of those cookies? And could I get a soda?" He lay a five on the counter.

Nareik123
Zealot
Zealot
Posts: 1088
Joined: Thu May 08, 2008 12:42 pm

Re: From the Ashes Reborn (IC)

Post by Nareik123 » Tue Jul 24, 2012 4:24 pm

Andrew Johnson
HP 1/1
Condition: Trying to find his stuff

When Andrew saw the rain outside, the first thing he did was seek shelter in Remember When. The second thing he did was to hold a mental funeral for his jeans, which would probably end up soggier then a dog practicing his Doggy Paddle on the way home in said rain. Andrew knew he should probably buy some overtrousers, but... Music! And Games! and FILMS! At this current stage, Andrew was loitering with intent. He knew he could find a Disturbed CD here somewhere. Or, if he was lucky, maybe a Within Temptation CD. Pfft, music he liked being sold in a Store?! That was a funny joke these days.

While Andrew's mind was working over time, Andrew himself was keeping a low profile, in that he was working in shelves further away from the centre of the store, poking his head out occassionally to keep track of the other occupants, then poking his head down quickly. He was just quietly browsing, keeping his eye out for anything unusual as always. He has been surveying the room, listening his iPhone playing loudly.
OOC: Perception test to scan the store for anything not usual in a store.
Result: 7 Sooo... I guess very little.
Demacia! (Garen, The Might of Demacia)
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Nareik123s Heroes

User avatar
timothy
Zealot
Zealot
Posts: 1020
Joined: Wed Mar 14, 2012 7:55 am
Location: ottawa, ks, usa

Re: From the Ashes Reborn (IC)

Post by timothy » Tue Jul 24, 2012 4:35 pm

Tommy
Condition: contented

The store hadn't been open long, but had already become Tommy's favorite hangout. Huge piles of books haphazardly stacked and shelved hid an uncounted number of surprises, Rachel was happy to let him hang around and the broken-down old armchair in the back fit him like a glove.

Tonight he was engrossed in an old copy of 'Robin Hood', the Creswick version with illustrations by NC Wyeth. Some former reader had left copious notes in the margins regarding the historical accuracy of the tales. Tommy found them fascinating and had already made a dozen mental notes about secondary sources he needed to look into.

Like a rabbit in a meadow, Tommy looked up every few minutes, instinctively scanning his surroundings for possible threats. He smiled slightly to himself watching Eddy compulsively trying to impose order on chaos.

The smile faded, though, when he looked out the big front window. If the storm didn't calm down soon he was going to have to walk home in it. Dad wouldn't come get him and Mom was probably far enough gone by now that she shouldn't be driving. Oh, well, he was sure something would come up.

His head went back down into the book and his mind went back to Sherwood Forest and the storm was forgotten.
Here comes the Dog!
Stong and brave!
Here comes the Dog!
The day he will save!

Spectrum
Titan
Titan
Posts: 3831
Joined: Thu Jul 05, 2012 1:26 pm

Re: From the Ashes Reborn (IC)

Post by Spectrum » Tue Jul 24, 2012 4:53 pm

Edward, please give me a nice little awe+(perception or technology) roll (something nicely computery). Let me know which one.
Shannon: Rachel smiles, though it doesn't reach her eyes at first, "Sure Shannon." She carefully places the small stack of papers to the side as she walks over to the small counter. She pauses a moment, turning her back to you, "Help me a moment? There's something that I've been meaning to do." She carefully lifts the tray and nods at the table the cookies were on. "Go ahead and put it just outside the shelf?" With a free hand she grabs an old pewter mug, upends it over the mess she calls a desk and waits to follow you out. "I don't know if it means much, but I have a feeling that your parents were glad to hear that you're safe."

Andrew: You manage to find a pile of nicely absorbent towels that were left conveniently (as in if you weren't looking, you'd trip over them) near the door. While you don't easily find those two artists, two more pop up which catch your eye. (OOC: two suggestions Voltaire's Almost Human and Emelie Autumn's Opheliac). Odd choices to be certain but maybe, just maybe worth it.

Tommy: Mr Tiffles (the big cat) wanders past you, rubbing past your legs. With an arched brow it looks up at you quite demandingly.

cobalt-blue
Superhero
Superhero
Posts: 1965
Joined: Mon May 18, 2009 6:56 am
Location: Russell, KY
Contact:

Re: From the Ashes Reborn (IC)

Post by cobalt-blue » Tue Jul 24, 2012 6:03 pm

Shannon did as she asked, moving the table and nodded. He was careful however to keep his shoulder's slightly hunched as he moved the table, not wanting his shirt to stretch across his chest. "I don't want to worry them but to be honest, my little car is just a little light to be driving in winds like this. I'd had to to get blown off the road from this Nor'easter. It's not like we have school tomorrow, and sleep and I haven't exactly been friends lately."

insaniac99
Firebrand
Firebrand
Posts: 898
Joined: Wed Aug 27, 2008 11:12 am

Re: From the Ashes Reborn (IC)

Post by insaniac99 » Tue Jul 24, 2012 6:26 pm

Spectrum wrote:It takes Edward a moment, and even then, he's probably not sure that he's actually seeing the impossible. The shelf is running a sort algorithm against him, trying to narrow down on what he's looking for based upon from his perspective invisible set of variables- but its coming closer.
waitaminute... that book wasn't there before, was it? Edward took off his glasses and cleaned them on his shirt, rubbed his eyes to clear them for good measure then looked again. That bin had changed it's contents. Edward made a mental note of this and continued browsing, after making a mental note to look this kind of thing up when he gets home. He wished he had a smartphone so he could look it up right now; his parents had promised one as a reward for his grades (straight As again, like always) but they insisted on doing the research themselves and were taking their time about it.

It occurred to Edward to try to observe the other patrons' browsing habits to confirm if it was just him, or if the place was doing this to the other people; there was NO WAY he was going to bring this up, people would just think he was even weirder than they already did.

Edward's mind is wandering and not looking for anything specific, so one moment he is looking for a manga, the next a classic sci-fi novel, the next a romance anime, and so on. This is most likely how he noticed the phenomenon, it would cause havoc on any algorithm because he changes what he is looking through half-way through. Though this would also prevent him from noticing the pattern right away through his own actions...

Perception roll (1d20+2=19) I'm assuming I notice that this is happening to others, if not, I'll edit my last paragraph

Anyone paying attention can notice Ed staring at them for a moment before moving on to another person, he is not being subtle at all
Editing this paragraph out as per GM's note Edward blinked, wiped his glasses again, and stared as he noticed the areas around people resorting themselves as the patron looked for something. I've got to figure this out, there must be some pattern or logic behind this Edward increased his pace in the shop as he rummaged around, consciously trying focusing on looking for items then changing his mind and looking for something else as he goes back over where he has just been. Edward has already forgotten the other people there and to the outside observer he is looking almost frantic in his actions as he rummages.
Last edited by insaniac99 on Tue Jul 24, 2012 9:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Spectrum
Titan
Titan
Posts: 3831
Joined: Thu Jul 05, 2012 1:26 pm

Re: From the Ashes Reborn (IC)

Post by Spectrum » Tue Jul 24, 2012 6:39 pm

insaniac99 wrote:
Spectrum wrote:It takes Edward a moment, and even then, he's probably not sure that he's actually seeing the impossible. The shelf is running a sort algorithm against him, trying to narrow down on what he's looking for based upon from his perspective invisible set of variables- but its coming closer.
Perception roll (1d20+2=19) I'm assuming I notice that this is happening to others, if not, I'll edit my last paragraph

Anyone paying attention can notice Ed staring at them for a moment before moving on to another person, he is not being subtle at all
Roll is a little too low to pick up on the subtleties to the system (if there is one) but go ahead and get a HP for the good idea. Also, that is moving a little further than I'd like before we get everybody on board.

User avatar
timothy
Zealot
Zealot
Posts: 1020
Joined: Wed Mar 14, 2012 7:55 am
Location: ottawa, ks, usa

Re: From the Ashes Reborn (IC)

Post by timothy » Tue Jul 24, 2012 7:04 pm

Tommy
Condition- contented

Tommy smiles at the big cat, they had become quite good friends over the past few weeks. Since he had never been allowed a pet at home, Tommy had become sort of a visiting uncle to the big tom.

Tommy moved the book, allowing Mr. Tiffles to leap into his lap. Glancing around surreptisiously, he pulled the small packet if cat treats he'd bought earlier from his pocket.

"This is just between us, buddy.", he said as he shook a bunch out into the palm of his hand.

After the cat had finished the treats, it curled up in his lap. Almost unconsciously, Tommy stroked the purring cat as he went back to his book.
Here comes the Dog!
Stong and brave!
Here comes the Dog!
The day he will save!

Mr.Sandman
Superhero
Superhero
Posts: 1817
Joined: Sat May 05, 2012 9:58 am
Location: chicago 1924

Re: From the Ashes Reborn (IC)

Post by Mr.Sandman » Tue Jul 24, 2012 8:35 pm

Catherine McMars
condition: Good
Location: Remember When
HP 1

As much as she liked the rain catherine knew she should find someplace to wait out this storm or be lost in it. The awesome shop nearby worked perfectly. She walked in the front door, shook herself off a bit and looked around. There were some kids she knew from school there, probably with the same idea she had. She didn't know any of them very well so instaid of striking up a conversation she wandered the isles for a bit searching for something from Zeppelin or The Rolling Stones.

Her search brought her close to a few of the other kids and she politely said hello before continuing her search. When she found something that looked good she stopped and sat down, not too far from everybody else but not right next to anybody either. She quickly sent a text message off to her parents about going into Remember when to escape the storm before texting Jess to see if she got home safely.

User avatar
Coyotzin
Titan
Titan
Posts: 3675
Joined: Wed Jun 24, 2009 2:28 pm
Location: Mexico
Contact:

Re: From the Ashes Reborn (IC)

Post by Coyotzin » Tue Jul 24, 2012 8:59 pm

Hypatia "Pat" Burgess

Pat had already called home saying she was taking refuge at Remember When. She just came from one of the drama club rehearsals, where she was helping them adapt a play from a longer work, and with the costumes. She was a regular of the store, and actually one of the job applications that Rachel was reviewing was hers. She spent so much time here she might as well get paid, no?

This evening, however, she was deeply immersed in a research project that had just come to her as she walked home.

She was glad to see Tommy there and greeted him promptly, exchanged some polite words and just left each other to their mutual interests. Hypatia had commandeered one of the two coffee tables, and her notebook was open as she took notes. A small stack of assorted books was around her, one for the titles she was actually going to buy, and another for those she was just using for reference.

There was an open notepad too, filled with sketches she was doodling in between her comparing things among books and the computer. At one point she huffed and got up to wander the aisles.

"Hey, Eddie." She greeted the nerdy boy as she stumbled on his fruitless attempt to put some order into the shelves. "What are you... WHOA! Wait! What's that?!"

She leaned down to snatch a book that Ed had pulled down.

"Oh, my god!" Her excited voice clearly carried over the soft music playing in the background. "A Dragon Age artbook?! They actually published one?! Thanks, Ed! I wouldn't have found this treasure if you hadn't taken it out! Be right back!"

She forced herself not to run to the counter.

"Oh, hi, Shannon! Rachel! This!" She held out the book she'd found. "I can't find the price on this one! How did you get it?! I didn't know they'd published it! Oh, wait, no matter, it's MINE NOW!"

And like a little giggling tornado she returned to her improvised work table near Tom.

"Awesome..." She whispered to herself as she leafed through her find. "Oh, boy... it was the full character designs for both games! Hey, Tom! What do you think? I want to make a costume for GenCon, my dad's taking me this year. Which one would you pick, Morrigan or Isabela?"

She flipped between the character illustrations, showing them both to her friend.

"I'm not as skinny as Morrigan, but I love her hair, and I can keep the vest thingie for other stuff. I'm not anywhere near as tanned as Isabela, tho', but working on the jewelry looks like a fun challenge."

User avatar
timothy
Zealot
Zealot
Posts: 1020
Joined: Wed Mar 14, 2012 7:55 am
Location: ottawa, ks, usa

Re: From the Ashes Reborn (IC)

Post by timothy » Tue Jul 24, 2012 9:44 pm

Tommy
Condition- flustered

Tommy had said hi to Pat and then returned his attention to his book.

A few minutes later, Pat rushed back with a large book featuring a dragon design on the cover. It took Tommy a moment before he refognized it as the cover art from a video game.

Pat, meanwhile, was showing him pictures of two of the characters, rather scantily clad females. As she excitedly asked Tommy's opinion on cosplaying them she failed to notice the deepening red on Tommy's cheeks.

"Um, I don't really know much about video games. Dad thinks they're for, uh, 'losers and fat kids', so I never really get the chance to play them.

"Not that I'm calling you a fat loser, that's what my Dad says.

"Well, um, not about you of course. I mean, he doesn't even know you and, uh, if he did I'm sure he wouldn't call you fat. Or a loser.

"Uh, I gotta go to the bathroom."


Tommy stands up suddenly, Mr.Tiffles falling from his lap with a squall of outrage, and rushes towards the back of the store.

Oh., yeah. Just strike me down now, gods, it ain't gonna get any worse...
Here comes the Dog!
Stong and brave!
Here comes the Dog!
The day he will save!

Nareik123
Zealot
Zealot
Posts: 1088
Joined: Thu May 08, 2008 12:42 pm

Re: From the Ashes Reborn (IC)

Post by Nareik123 » Wed Jul 25, 2012 4:46 am

Andrew Johnson
HP 1:1
Condition: Did someone say Dragon Age?!


Andrew was quietly changing his song on his iPod when he heard Pat mention Dragon Age. Immediately his mind went into super overdrive as he recalled his last time playing Dragon Age 1, and how frigging hard it was near the end. He remembered his faithful tank being taken out in a about 30 seconds, he remembered his amusement at what Morrigan consindered battle worthy dress.
Good times Andrew thought to himself. Then he cursed himself as he heard Pat mention about cosplaying. His active imagination immediately accepted the challange and visually rendered a mental image of Pat in Morrigan's not so decent attire. Andrew quickly pumped up his music to wash away the images. They were rather pleasing, but it was so unlikely that Andrew would even see the side of Pat that he didn't like to torture himself with the thoughts. Andrew sighed and returned to his search, seeing if there was any decent games or films around. As he was searching, he caught a glimpse of something and his mouth dropped open.

There! There it was! Something Andrew had been looking for, for AGES!

A leather trench coat!

Andrew quietly strolled up to it and tried it on, admiring at how it fell to his motorbike boots. Now that was bad ass! But... probably too expensive. With regret, Andrew hung it up. As he did, Andrew realised that he had made himself noticed! He had been compromised! Andrew sighed quietly, well he couldnt make them un-see him now. So he just offered a nod to Shannon and Ed, a very very very slight half smile to Pat and just kept an eye out at Catherine.
Well... this is awkward Andrew thought to himself.
Demacia! (Garen, The Might of Demacia)
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Nareik123s Heroes

cobalt-blue
Superhero
Superhero
Posts: 1965
Joined: Mon May 18, 2009 6:56 am
Location: Russell, KY
Contact:

Re: From the Ashes Reborn (IC)

Post by cobalt-blue » Wed Jul 25, 2012 5:57 am

Shannon nodded to Catherine as she entered and started browsing. He hoped that the girl hadn't decided to write him off completely just because of a misunderstanding. He really did wish that he had her talent for growing things. Last month he managed to kill one of his mom's favorite Golden Zebra plants because he thought it needed more sun. Nobody ever told him that they were a shade plant! Who ever heard of a plant that LIKED the shade!?

As he set the table in place he smiled at Pat and her antics over finding a book she liked. "Hiya Pat," he said. "Not a fit night out for man nor beast, nor teenagers out there huh?" He overheard the mention of cosplay and sighed to himself. That sounded like a lot of fun, but he realized that with his current condition, it wasn't likely to be something he could pull off- not without revealing too much- literally and figuratively.

He smiled when Tommy got tongued tied around Pat. She could do that to people without even trying. It was primarily due to her over enthusiastic personality, but he recognized more than just a little feminine wiles involved too- unintentionally of course. He looked down grabbed a few cookies and a coke and left the five on the table before heading for one of the coffee tables near where Tom was sitting.

Sitting down, he looked at the stack of books that Pat had and asked, "Is all that for your research paper for Mr. Ross?"

Locked