Occult Tales (OOC, Closed)

This forum is the place for Mutants & Masterminds Play-By-Post games. Please read the M&M Game Room rules before starting or joining a game. Enjoy!
RedBstrd
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Occult Tales (OOC, Closed)

Postby RedBstrd » Sat Jul 14, 2012 2:47 am

Occult Tales:

Current Lineup
Graham Tyrell - Arthur Eld
Halla DeCroix - Flynnarrel
Chuck LeClarke - Gazman
Kevin Roman - Mr.United
James Smith - Psychopath

Setting information:
New Orleans: a powerful Black Council sorcerer attempted to wipe out the city by tapping into storms and flooding the city. In the resulting chaos, Red Court vampires quickly swept into the city to purchase strategic real estate at low prices and dominate groups of rescue workers to act on their own interests while few significant threats remained in the city. Under this apparent Black Council-Red Court alliance, the surviving non-mundane residents have forged something of a truce among each other to reclaim the city and restore some of the pre-flood vitality to its occult scene. A few years have passed since the flood and some degree of normalcy has returned but as the Black Council-Red Court slowly retreat, the alliance within the city comes under increasing stress.

With the exception of some law enforcement and government, most mundanes will be unaware of the existence of magic or the supernatural in the world. Fey glamours hide the fey-blooded, magi orders don't advertise their sorcery, and vampires don't wish to find themselves on the business end of stakes. Generally, I'll use the setting from Dresden Files with some borrowing from White Wolf games, Lore, Hellboy, and The Unwritten.

Character creation
I envision the player characters as a group of diverse people who have been given great leeway to work with each other in the protection of the city, its magical secrets, and its populace. Mundanes "in the know," Mafia "made men," White Council practitioners, White Court vampires, lycanthropes, werewolves, fey-blooded, and all sorts of other kinds of characters would be possible. Pretty much the only banned concepts would be necromancers/diabolists, Red Court vampires, and so on. Feel free to channel Nocturnals into character concepts if you'd like. While the game will be set in New Orleans for the most part, I'd encourage at least one player to have Spanish as a language and I'll likely have the group venturing beyond the city on a few occasions.

Edit: PL 7 (120 pp)!

The Good Guys (Possible concepts):

Angels - Servants of the higher power (in any of its forms), angels are supernatural creatures made of pure energy. Soulfire is the source of their supernatural abilities. All angels know how to appear as everyday humans when necessary. Archangels lead the ranks of angels but on four known archangels exist.

Changeling - An individual with heritage including some sort of fae creature in ages past, including giants, troll, or kelpie. Most changelings have either human appearance or glamours to hide their inhuman appearance from mundanes. Scions of other lineage - such as half-djinn - are also possible.

Emissary of Power - A mortal bearing the duty of serving an otherworldly or supernatural institution or individual, such as a Faerie Court or one of the true dragons. The Winter and Summer courts each only have one Knight at a time.

Fellowship of St. Giles - A brotherhood of those with some corruption within them, banding together to seek salvation. Many members have been infected by Red Court vampires, but the fellowship utilizes special magical tattoos to help the infected maintain self-control while drawing upon their supernatural powers. The Venatori Umbrorum is a similar order, an organization of monster hunters who rely on information networks, scholarship, finance, heavy weaponry, and other "real world" sources of power.

Knight of God - A wielder of True Faith, a devout individual capable of calling upon blessings of the Almighty, or a knight wielding one of the fabled Swords of Toledo.

Lycanthropes - Contrary to expectations, lycanthropes are not werewolves; they are berserkers who adopt an inhuman pack mind. They are still linked to the phases of the moon and peak in power around the full moon.

Practitioner - A wizard who abides by the White Council's laws of magic, taken from the Unseelie Accords of the faerie Queen Mab. Steering clear of demon magic, blood magic, and necromancy, they rely on artifacts and items of power to supplement their wizardly arsenal. Wardens, or warrior-wizards, hunt after those who break the laws of the White Council or threaten members of its community. Hedge wizards are those who have failed to pass the tests granting membership into the White Council's ranks. They are fairly common but carry less prestige than their successful wizardly counterparts. Most hedge wizards fall within a few specializations: ectomancy (awareness and control of spirits and spirit energy), kinetomancy (telekinesis), Seeing (using the gift of Sight past the mundane world and possibly into the future or past), or telepathy.

Shapeshifters - Werewolves and other were-creatures. Most have complete control over their changes and are not affected by phases of the moon. Some shapeshifters rely on magic or talismans (in the case of hexenwolves) to perform their changes. Almost all, save for the Loup-Garou, transform into ordinary animals of a specific type (wolf, bear, tiger, goat). The Loup-Garou are much more rare and cannot be killed save for silver and magic. Dragons are also powerful shapeshifters but true dragons are extremely rare and are creatures of tremendous power. Dragons are not alone, however, among the ranks of the non-human which shapechange; wolfweres are wolves which can assume the shape of a man. Parallel entities exist for animals other than wolves.

White Court Vampires - Not infectious like the other vampire courts, white court vampires are the incubi and succubi of legend. They feed off of the emotions of others, sometimes to the point of killing their victims.

Faeries - Split between two major "nations" (the Seelie Summer Court and the Unseelie Winter Court), the fae are a populous kind of supernatural creature from the Nevernever. Fae often possess powers of invisibility or have other glamours to keep them unseen by mundane humans. Vows are important to the fae; if someone breaks a vow to the fae, they are giving the creature power over them. Likewise, if a fae declares a vow three times, it is bound by the agreement. Iron is poisonous to the fae. Despite some basic commonalities, the fae can be as diverse as Gruff goat-men or goblinoids.

The Bad Guys (Banned Concepts):

Black Court Vampires - Vampires mirroring Bram Stoker's classic story. They are immoral and murderous creatures, but fortunately few in number.

Red Court Vampires - Inhuman, bat-like creatures which feed on blood. They have venomous fangs which can infect victims with their vampiric status. They hide behind flesh masks and bear some weaknesses to the traditional vulnerabilities of vampires. The Red Court controls a great deal of power through their role in international finance.

Ghouls - Zombie-like creatures which are slightly smarter than their popular culture counterparts, ghouls are a species which consumes flesh of humans or animals to survive. They are extremely difficult to kill and serve as muscle for the Black and Red Courts. Ghouls can appear as normal, though brutish, humans when it suits their purposes. Classic zombies also exist but are most often under the control of necromancers, having been created by magic and not the result of a zombie virus.

Hecatean Hags - Freakish and ugly women with supernatural strength and durability as well as access to some of the blackest of magic. They have bulletproof skin and sharp claws, often laced with poison.

Black Circle - Magi dedicating themselves to the destruction of the White Council. They are either opposed to the Council because of personal reasons or, more likely, because they engage in forbidden types of magic, such as demon summoning or necromancy. The Black Circle is not the same thing as the much more numerous ranks of cults; demon-worshipers and those touched by Outsiders are common plagues upon the supernatural world, while the Black Circle is merely a suspected organization operating behind the scenes in some of the world's more sinister dealings.

Fallen Angels - Angels who rebelled against God and were cast down, they possess the bodies of mortals in pursuit of their own selfish and human-hating goals.

Outsiders - Entities from outside of our universe, the outsiders are inhuman and chaotic enough to warp the mind of mortals who encounter their alien demeanor. They are the rank and file servants of the Old Ones, entities of destruction and madness.

Demons - The native creatures of hell and similar planes of existence, demons are dangerous creatures without much resembling positive human personality traits such as love, mercy, or sympathy. Demons sometimes inhabit inanimate objects, making them mobile constructs. Others possess the bodies of humans or animals. Demons rarely appear in their natural form on Earth. Summoning demons is outlawed under the White Council's laws.

Fallen - Angels cast out of Heaven in ages past, their power on Earth is drastically restricted. The Fallen are unable to act unless bound with a human. In such cases, they have access to a range of dangerous unholy abilities.
Last edited by RedBstrd on Thu May 02, 2013 2:34 am, edited 5 times in total.

Arthur Eld
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Re: Occult Tales (OOC, Full)

Postby Arthur Eld » Sat Jul 14, 2012 10:08 am

RedBstrd wrote:
Arthur Eld wrote:I'm still having trouble with my White Court build actually. There's a lot of basics to go into the 'template' as it were, which doesn't leave much for the specific character concept, especially for a skill monkey type, which are already expensive in 3E.

I can try to help trim it down for you. How many pp would you need to build your ideal White Court build? If I need to do so, I could revise the number of pp to get us where we want to be for the builds.

Figured I'd respond to this here.

As is, my build is more or less finished, and I'm 16 points over. I could trim that down to 105, but I'm not sure if it would still have the feel I'm going for.

I will note that having 15 extra points in Hong Kong Action was fun, and speaking personally, I never felt like any characters were overpowered or stepped on each other's toes in combat-which can be a problem as high points for their PL characters tend to branch 'out' instead of 'up.'

However, I don't wanna ask for more points just for myself, so I'll wait and see how other people's builds and concepts shake out.

ShatteredFaith
Sidekick
Sidekick

Postby ShatteredFaith » Sat Jul 14, 2012 10:24 am

Im still trying to track down my buddys 3e book he got a while ago before i call it a lost cause and buy my own.

RedBstrd
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby RedBstrd » Sat Jul 14, 2012 2:32 pm

Arthur Eld wrote:
RedBstrd wrote:
Arthur Eld wrote:I'm still having trouble with my White Court build actually. There's a lot of basics to go into the 'template' as it were, which doesn't leave much for the specific character concept, especially for a skill monkey type, which are already expensive in 3E.

I can try to help trim it down for you. How many pp would you need to build your ideal White Court build? If I need to do so, I could revise the number of pp to get us where we want to be for the builds.

Figured I'd respond to this here.

As is, my build is more or less finished, and I'm 16 points over. I could trim that down to 105, but I'm not sure if it would still have the feel I'm going for.

I will note that having 15 extra points in Hong Kong Action was fun, and speaking personally, I never felt like any characters were overpowered or stepped on each other's toes in combat-which can be a problem as high points for their PL characters tend to branch 'out' instead of 'up.'

However, I don't wanna ask for more points just for myself, so I'll wait and see how other people's builds and concepts shake out.

Let's shoot for PL 7 (120 pp) for now and we'll see how all of the builds flesh out. Characters will be more versatile than standard PL 7 (105 pp) characters, but as long as the concepts are diverse, we should be fine.

RedBstrd
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby RedBstrd » Sat Jul 14, 2012 2:36 pm

ShatteredFaith wrote:Im still trying to track down my buddys 3e book he got a while ago before i call it a lost cause and buy my own.

I wish you luck!

flynnarrel
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby flynnarrel » Sun Jul 15, 2012 2:30 am

Any thoughts on My playing one of the diminutive fae folk?

Or perhaps a spirit?

RedBstrd
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby RedBstrd » Sun Jul 15, 2012 7:25 pm

flynnarrel wrote:Any thoughts on My playing one of the diminutive fae folk?

Or perhaps a spirit?

You may play either. I'm not done listing all of the suggested character concepts and it's not meant to be restrictive (unless people are trying to play as bad guys).

flynnarrel
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby flynnarrel » Mon Jul 16, 2012 9:55 am

is this game 2E or 3E?

RedBstrd
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby RedBstrd » Mon Jul 16, 2012 1:38 pm

flynnarrel wrote:is this game 2E or 3E?

3e

Mr.United
Mastermind
Mastermind

Postby Mr.United » Mon Jul 16, 2012 3:08 pm

Alright. Since my top three were evil (my bad). I have found another group which sounds like it'd be a fun to play. Either a solider of Venatori Umbrorum. Or just a Venatori. Being either sounds like fun to me. Anything I should know about this. I read up on them and they don't seem evil (If you don't count assassination).

Gazman
Hero
Hero

Postby Gazman » Mon Jul 16, 2012 9:13 pm

I was initially coming at this from a Dresden Files perspective, but I just noticed that you're also mixing in White Wolf. As you can see in my profile pic, I'm big into werewolves. So what's the story with the Garou and the Changing Breeds? :D

RedBstrd
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby RedBstrd » Tue Jul 17, 2012 12:13 am

Gazman wrote:I was initially coming at this from a Dresden Files perspective, but I just noticed that you're also mixing in White Wolf. As you can see in my profile pic, I'm big into werewolves. So what's the story with the Garou and the Changing Breeds? :D

I'll get something on it up tomorrow. I've been somewhat busy and unable to update as frequently as anticipated the last day or two.

RedBstrd
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby RedBstrd » Tue Jul 17, 2012 12:15 am

Mr.United wrote:Alright. Since my top three were evil (my bad). I have found another group which sounds like it'd be a fun to play. Either a solider of Venatori Umbrorum. Or just a Venatori. Being either sounds like fun to me. Anything I should know about this. I read up on them and they don't seem evil (If you don't count assassination).

Sounds good. You could have a cultured, Mafia-esque or Assassin's Creed-y monster hunter if you want.

ShatteredFaith
Sidekick
Sidekick

Postby ShatteredFaith » Wed Jul 18, 2012 12:51 pm

Can you highlight any major changes from Dresden Files? As Gazman said, the impact on werecreatures and such?

RedBstrd
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby RedBstrd » Wed Jul 18, 2012 2:01 pm

I did another round of updates, so the information should be much more complete on the list of character concepts and how they fit into the world.

Return to “M&M Game Room”