Guild of the Bat [Closed]

This forum is the place for Mutants & Masterminds Play-By-Post games. Please read the M&M Game Room rules before starting or joining a game. Enjoy!
Prof Weird
Champion
Champion

Re: Guild of the Bat [Recruiting 1-2, until spots are filled

Postby Prof Weird » Wed Jul 31, 2013 9:47 pm

Almost afraid to offer up this character, but good sense has never stopped me before, so :

Getrude ('Trudy') Weisz , PL 7, 105 pp

Abilities : STR 8/4 STA 8/3 AGL 1 DEX 1 FGT 4 INT 2 AWE 2 PRE 1 [ 36 pp]

Offense : Ranged +6 to hit, +8 damage (when Bioboost active), Unarmed : +6 to hit, +8 damage; Grab is +4 to hit, +8 to maintain.

Defense : Dodge +6, Parry +6, Tou +8, Fort +8, Wil +6 [ 11 pp ]

Advantages : Equipment 1, Improved Grab, Improved Hold, Ultimate Effort (Tou checks), Takedown Atk, Skill Mastery (Athletics), Tracking, Well Informed, Languages 2 (Romanian base; German, English) [ 10 pp]

Equipment : Compass, Binoculars, Multi-tool, Med Jump Kit (for Treatment Skill),*

Powers (Lifeforce boost, Magic) [ 22 pp] :

Enhanced Trait : Great Endurance [ 1 pp]
Enhanced STA 5 (Permanent +0) [ 10 pp]
Enhanced STR 4, Subtle [ 11 pp] - Sustained effects are NOTICEABLE by default.
    AP : Leaping 4, Speed 4
    AP : Brain Rattler (Fort Resisted Affliction 8 : Dazed/Stunned/Incapacitated)

Skills : Athletics 4 (+12), Perception 4 (+6), Ranged Combat : Throwing 5 (+6), Expertise : Military 4 (+6), Investigation 4 (+6), Insight 3 (+5), Close Attack 2 (unarmed, +6), Deception 4 (+5), Intimidation 4 (+5), Persuasion 3 (+4), Expertise : Wilderness Survival 4 (+6), Vehicles 2 (+3), Expertise : Streetwise 3 (+5), Current Events 3 (+5), Treatment 3 (+5) [ 26 pp]

Abilities 36 + Defenses 11 + Advantages 10 + Skills 26 + Powers 22 = 105

Complications :

Power Loss : Magic nullification. Any effect that nullifies or weakens magic nulls all of her powers as well.
Motivation : Patriotism (does not want to be ASHAMED to be Vlatavian)
Justice : actually believes in law and order
Secret : that she has powers (has a good idea of what will happen to her if some gov't researchers find out she has useful abilities)

Background :

Joined the armed forces SAR (Search and Rescue) Division - people always getting lost in the forests (NOT a good place to be at night), or needing help of some sort. Liked this job.

Offered job as an agent, to search out foreign dissidents plotting to ruin the country. As a loyal daughter of Vlatava, how could she refuse ?

Found out that the greatest threat to her fellow Vlatavians wasn't foreigners, but their own rulers ! Or their own police - when she brought examples of bribery and corruption to the attention of her superiors, she was quickly demoted ! The more she looked, the worse things became. So she resigned and went back to her old job at SAR, but couldn't just let such corruption go unchecked.

Once helped an old hermit find his way out of the mountains. He offered to pay her, but she refused to accept money. So he rewarded her honesty with a blessing. She thought nothing of it at first, but later found out that not only was she tougher and more resilient than before, but she could also summon up quite a bit more physical strength at need. She decided to keep that ability her little secret, not wanting to be a specimen or test subject.

She was smart enough to know that she couldn't do everything herself, and that cleaning up just Vlatavia would make as much sense as cleaning one table in a room but leaving everything else dirty (criminals driven out of one country just go somewhere else and become someone else's problem, which isn't fair to the law there).

So she got in contact with a few of those "subversive elements" she'd tracked down earlier in her career.
batlh ta'nISlu' net ta' - "One does what one must do. Honorably"

Evolución
Paragon
Paragon

Postby Evolución » Thu Aug 01, 2013 8:24 am

Coyotzin wrote:@Evolución: Let's try breaking the language double-barrier :)

El problema que veo es que el evento que le dio sus poderes debería ser un pasado más distante todavía, Heron ya debe haber tenido oportunidad para reconstruir sus lazos con la sociedad. Cuando digo "dead to the world" me refiero a que todos sus lazos con la sociedad se perdieron en el accidente, el efecto es el mismo ya sea que este vivo y declarado como desaparecido o muerto. El tener un origen tan reciente significa que está descubriendo sus poderes, y la historia de este juego no es así; es más como la película de Los Vengadores que las películas individuales de cada héroe: todos los personajes ya están establecidos en sus personalidades heróicas.

Toma también como ejemplo la historia de la Sociedad de Caballeros Extraordinarios: todos ya tienen sus historias contadas y algunos hasta terminadas, ya tienen vidas independientes de su pertenencia al grupo, y sin embargo encuentran en el grupo algo que les faltaba. La historia de Heron funciona bien como héroe individual o como una historia de superhéroes en la era moderna, pero en este escenario la integración con la sociedad es muy importante, y Heron no tiene una.

Entonces, mi recomendación es que el accidente ya haya sucedido hace tiempo, que Heron ya haya tenido tiempo de rehacer su vida y dentro de ese período pertenecer al Gremio o estar asociado con Lord Wayne. Elimina que hay Cosas que se filtraron, sobre todo porque como lo cuentas, los poderes de Heron tienen poco o nada que ver con asuntos Lovecraftianos. O dale poderes más sobrenaturales y establece que Heron corre el riesgo de ser el portal para las Cosas como una Complicación.

...and finally, don't forget to write it in English :) I may be a native Spanish-speaker, but I think I've already confused everybody else enough :)

That's crystal clear now; hadn't looked at your location, so I was not expecting that! Sorry for all the problems. This is my bio, hope its not too long and boring.

Corinth, 15 years ago.
The Meeting of the European Society of Physics was held that year in Greece. Heron Peripolitas was sharing his research findings on a transdimensional vortex, a portal to another dimension, among other researchers from all around Europe and Middle East mainly. His novel research combined science with some elements of alchemy, hence his view was criticized, but his results, undeniable.
"Pleased to meet you, I'm Dr Perilopitas." the tanned man with a well trimmed dense beard offered a hand in salutation.
"Please to meet you too Dr." the other man gave him a handshake. "I'm Lucius Fox."
Perhaps a causal meeting between two unrelated scientists, but one that would ensure many letters and a work relationship.

Corinth, 10 years ago.
After working intensely for 5 years, Peripolitas had finally come to the stage of a pilot test. Little he knew he had was going to open portal to The Far Realm, a land of chaos and evil, of twistedness and abominations. He turned the machinery on, and after an electric crack like thunder, a portal opened! The Outsiders, powerful entities of the Far Realm cast their gaze through the vortex, and they liked what they saw: Another dimension to corrupt and twist. And how fitting to the door man to be the herald of The Far Realm. They reached out for Heron, as he frantically tried to close the portal. He felt their corruption, the energies of the Other Side taking hold on his flesh. He desperately ripped off his machine, his life work, with new found strength. The portal collapsed, and the door to the Other side was closed, before a huge explosion shattered the place. As Heron looked around at the after-match, he found his laboratory and house trembling, about to collapse. He had no time to look at himself, at how changed he was, before the roof collapsed on him.

The police surveyed the scene, finding the unconscious scientist trapped among the rubble. His dark sking and black hair had turned withe and hard. They had to employ six people to move him to a hospital, where he recovered. Several physicians ran state of the art analysis on him, finding his cellular structure had been dramatically altered. They had replaced several membrane proteins for dentine, i.e. ivory.
During that time in the hospital, Heron wrote profusely to several of his scientist colleagues, specially Lucius. Eventually, they released Heron, finding his condition would pose no threat to his life. He was a normal healthy Ivory man...
But society is not so giving to a freak of science, and above all, its not so giving to failure. His failed experiment had not only costed Heron personally, he had destroyed many costly laboratory equipment.
He found himself running out of money... Somewhere along the way, between the hunger, the lack of a place to live, the misery, Heron found determination. Hope in the form of a letter. A letter from a friend.
With a little help from said friend, Heron got to work eventually, trying to revert his condition. All his attempts and experiments gave no results. His new physiology was quite unalterable. He made several tests of his new physical capabilities, and was surprised at what he found.
He got a chance to experience his new found powers, as he was taking a night walk, through the narrow streets of Corinth. Unaware of his presence, a duo of thugs tried to rob an elderly couple. Heron held back, as one of the thugs punched the old gentleman in the face, knocking hims out cold. It was impossible not to relate that punch to how his own life had changed abruptly. "Stop!" he said, his voice not the most intimidating ad unsettling. He didn't know what he was doing. The thugs turned to look at him. "Hey Marcus, chalky here got so scared he turned white." on of the thugs told to the other, as he drew a knife. "Let's dance chalky!" and he sprinted forward, driving the knife into Heron's belly. He was frozen in terror for a moment, as he felt the knife in his stomach. The confused expression on the thug's face draw his attention to said knife, which had bent against his hardened flesh. He knew he had to do something, and simply punched the man in the face. He could feel how his nose bone cracked under the weigh of his fist, before the thug went limp and fell to the ground unconscious. Criminals are a supersticious and coward lot. The other thug screamed something and ran off in fear. After that first encounter, Heron took his night walks each time with more enthusiasm.

Gotham, 5 years ago.
Lucius had always been a great support for Heron. His letters kept his spirit up during those hard years after his accident. His latest letter told Heron to travel to Gotham, to meet with his benefactor, Lord Wayne, for a work proposal. Of course he didn't met him directly, but was interviewed by Alfred and Lucius himself. Thomas Wayne was peeking at the interview from the other side of a painting. He knew what he wanted from Heron, and wanted to see it himself. One thing led to another, as Alfred and Lucius asked their questions, and finally, after a side glance at the painting at his right, Alfred said "Welcome to the Guild Dr."
The years that followed under the service of Lord Wayne where for Heron a heaven on earth. He got assigned to many new projects, development of new devices, and he also received training and learnt quite much from other guild members.

On a train to Vlatava, the present.
Heron recieved word that he was needed to track a device called the philosopher engine. Being a bridge between science and alchemy, he had the perfect profile to assign to this case. He wondered the nature of this device, he was told very little before departing. As he was thinking on that, he felt something, a pull, a desire, something unravelling inside of him. A sensation he had never felt before, as if his own soul was resonating with something. He tried to focus on the sensation, trying to identify what was originating it... But a german voice announcing the arrival of the train to Vlatava took him out of his trance. He hastily prepared his documents.

Hound
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Hound » Thu Aug 01, 2013 9:28 am

Updated Doctor Mid-Nite to include the War and Mentoring from Doctor Thomas Wayne.

Everything should be in order now.
"Whats wrong? You came here expecting to fight a madman, and instead found a god!?"
My Characters

Hound
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Hound » Sun Aug 04, 2013 2:03 pm

Coyo do you need me to change anything else?
"Whats wrong? You came here expecting to fight a madman, and instead found a god!?"
My Characters

Coyotzin
Titan
Titan

Postby Coyotzin » Mon Aug 05, 2013 9:28 am

Not likely. I had a rather busy weekend; I'm going to catch up on the boards in the course of the day.

Coyotzin
Titan
Titan

Postby Coyotzin » Wed Aug 07, 2013 11:02 am

@whiteprofit: Lucius will take a few moments to cross the cars towards Helena Bertinelli's. Thing is... Barbara and Cassie are just a few doors away from it :) Depending on what they do in the next few posts, Lucius might just cross them.

@Applicants: I haven't forgotten about you! I just had my freelance workload double (who knew I'd be asked to draw Ancient Greek Giant Robots :D ) and my regular job landed me a long assignment that I don't want to slack too much from, so I haven't been able to review your characters in enough detail to make a decision. I will only choose two, and they'll begin play in Vlatava proper, not the train, so there's still time before the team reaches their destination.

whiteprofit
Titan
Titan

Postby whiteprofit » Wed Aug 07, 2013 11:23 am

oooooh, I thought we were in different ends of the train and they had found someone from another car. I will return to our own room where blackstone is, with the things they will be eating... :twisted: I'm sure he can come up with something to do with them to help us.
Family of Supers -Kit Andersen/ GravityBoy!

Coyotzin
Titan
Titan

Postby Coyotzin » Wed Aug 07, 2013 11:50 am

You ARE on opposite ends of the train :) Barbara and Cassie headed forward towards the engine, and Lucius headed in the opposite way:

Back - Cargo cars - Service Car (Lucius) - Pullman cars (your cabin, a few cars, then Bertinelli's, where Barbara, Cassie, usher and goon are) - Third-class cars - Engine.

Shock
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Shock » Wed Aug 07, 2013 7:34 pm

WP, let's hold off on blowing up the train for a bit ;}

At least until Barbara makes a complete mess of everything.

EnigmaticOne
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby EnigmaticOne » Wed Aug 07, 2013 7:37 pm

Shock wrote:WP, let's hold off on blowing up the train for a bit ;}

At least until Barbara makes a complete mess of everything.

Yeah, you have no idea how irritated Cassie is right now. She's being treated like a child when it seems no one else has the slightest clue.
Impeach the peach!

Coyotzin
Titan
Titan

Postby Coyotzin » Wed Aug 07, 2013 7:48 pm

@Shock: Barbara would also notice that it's impossible for Cassie to slip by the usher and the thug unseen. The corridor is just too narrow and there's just no place to hide, even if Cassie became Spidergirl and was able to walk on the ceiling. If Cassie is to advance without being seen, there must be no one to see her.

Of course, there's an alternative, but I'm leaving it to EnigmaticOne to figure it out ;)

Shock
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Shock » Thu Aug 08, 2013 5:08 am

Coyotzin wrote:@Shock: Barbara would also notice that it's impossible for Cassie to slip by the usher and the thug unseen. The corridor is just too narrow and there's just no place to hide, even if Cassie became Spidergirl and was able to walk on the ceiling. If Cassie is to advance without being seen, there must be no one to see her.

In that case, can I keep my HP and just look like an idiot?

Coyotzin wrote:Of course, there's an alternative, but I'm leaving it to EnigmaticOne to figure it out ;)

Yeah, you gotta think outside the box ;}

EnigmaticOne
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby EnigmaticOne » Thu Aug 08, 2013 5:37 am

Shock wrote:Yeah, you gotta think outside the box ;}

Buddy, I figured it out within 15 minutes of Coyotzin's post last night. :roll: Just been waiting on you to see what you'd change if any.
Impeach the peach!

Shock
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Shock » Thu Aug 08, 2013 5:45 am

I shoulda known ;}

Actually, yeah. I'll make a change since there's no obvious way to get by them it doesn't really make much sense. No more man-handling the goon.

Coyotzin
Titan
Titan

Postby Coyotzin » Thu Aug 08, 2013 9:45 am

You can definitely keep your HP :)

Return to “M&M Game Room”