Mutants & Masterminds
HQ    ABOUT M&M    SUPER-VISION    GIMMICK'S GADGETS    M&M SUPERLINK    ATOMIC THINK TANK    M&M SHOP
Saving the world, one d20 roll at a time

Valor Unlimited: Issue 5, A Different World

This forum is the place for Mutants & Masterminds Play-By-Post games. Please read the M&M Game Room rules before starting or joining a game. Enjoy!

Re: Valor Unlimited: Issue 3, Passing of an Era

Postby flynnarrel » Sun Sep 30, 2012 3:11 pm

Split Second

Derek quickly hides a doodle he was doing concerning Valor Unlimited action figures.

He clears his throat. "At some point I should go over the benefits of public image and merchandising and all of that. But that's a talk for another time. There is fascinating psychological research on the subject."

If he noted the look, he doesn't register it.
flynnarrel
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Project Icarus » Tue Oct 02, 2012 9:32 am

Flare

Flare glanced back and forth between Nova and Split Second. "Yeah, I don't think we need to go into merchandising details right now - like Split Second said, a discussion for another time. But in the meantime, I agree with the principles of Mr. DNA's proposal. Just as long we have ultimate control of the company, giving someone else the reins for day-to-day stuff will help us focus on what we need to do in the field."
Project Icarus
Daredevil
Daredevil

Postby flynnarrel » Tue Oct 02, 2012 10:26 am

Split Second

Derek considers for a moment longer, which really means he's spent subjective hours of thinking of other concerns of this new business.

"Also on topics for another day: what level of liability and corporate insurance we buy, how big do we expand and what criteria we use for vetting newbies, how do we choose clients and how do we assign resources (i.e. us) to jobs in a fair way that we all get a chance for work. For example, if Flare hasn't been assigned to a job in a while but the next job is against the blind mole men of Tanzita, should he be assigned even though his powers would be less useful? No, that's not meant as a slight on his abilities, I, for example, fully admit that I'm of limited use against purely flying opponents. Since the money we get paid is partly based on what jobs we are a part of, it's a concern that the best suited resources be assigned to jobs in some logical means."

"Eventually I can see Valor Unlimited as a clearing house for supers. We pay a nominal retainer to powered or talented individuals, or.... conglomerates in Mr. DNA's case, didn't mean to be... 'singulist' there, in order to assign them to various jobs that come our way. Oooh, we'll need a selection process for jobs too. In order to make sure we aren't just another 'do anything' mercenary company. I mean we're all heroes here, right?"

Throughout his speech, his words had been gradually speeding up, becoming higher in pitch until he sounded like a chipmunk.

He seems to realize this and stops to clear his throat, his voice returning to normal.

"But those are problems for the future. Do we have anything on our docket for today? Did I see people from the police here earlier?"
flynnarrel
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Lord Fell » Tue Oct 02, 2012 4:56 pm

Mr. DNA

Mr. DNA shrugs. "As per Jack's Will, if we accept positions as Partners our pay-structure will actually be unrelated to in-field work. That may be a flaw in what Jack's Will proposes, as our positions in Valor Unlimited is really contingent on our ability to do field work, as opposed to any skill in Administration. If we find later, that the current structure isn't fair or conducive to the operation of Valor Unlimited, as Partners we'll have to discuss and change it."

Multitasking, he's also skimming files on his data slab. He frowns at what he's found. "Our insurance appears to provide adequate coverage. Naturally, the associated expense is... staggering."

"As to vetting new superhero employees, I think that is something we will do collectively as Partners, but we can cross that bridge when we come to it. Aside from the individuals in this room, we have few employees who are Field Capable. Given our current sales projections, we may actually be overstaffed in that regard."

Pausing to look around the room, Mr. DNA continues. "I haven't heard any dissenting votes in regards to my proposal. Can I add it to the Minutes as passed?"
Lord Fell
Overlord
Overlord

Postby CaptainChaos » Wed Oct 03, 2012 5:41 pm

Nova

The silver clad young woman sits and thinks for a moment, digesting all that has been said and presented.

"Valor Unlimited should continue to operate. I wish to continue to be a part of it but at this moment, I am unsure how much time I can commit to it. The answer to that will depend on what I decide to do in my personal life. I have several things I need to think about over the next day or so. I plan on meeting Dr. Levy to talk to him about his research even if I don't try to get a job working for him. His research might be useful to you Mr. DNA. You indicated that you and Mr. Kamikaze were the result of alternate reality experiments. What if Dr. Levy somehow manages to recreate a similar incident by accident and it brings unfriendly beings into our reality? Having some information on the nature of his research might prove useful in a situation like that."

She pauses for a moment before continuing.

"As I stated, I will continue to be a part of this team. I just need a little time to think about a few things before I can give you an answer regarding my time commitment to the team."
CaptainChaos
Mastermind
Mastermind

Postby Kaisius » Fri Oct 05, 2012 6:47 pm

Jackson Wright

"We should make sure we can keep the lights on month to month before we talk about bringing anyone new in.", Jackson says. "The only question I have, I guess, is what Aya's legal status is. Assuming it's legal, or at least not illegal, to have an Artificial Intelligence "employed" as a Operations Manager, and assuming Aya wants the job, I would be in favor of it."
"I am not a big, fat panda....I am THE big, fat panda."-Po, Kung Fu Panda
Otakumon in New Freedom League.
Jackson Wright in Valor Unlimited.
Kaisius
Partisan
Partisan

Postby flynnarrel » Sat Oct 06, 2012 12:44 am

Split Second

"Corporations have automated systems that run aspects of productions all the time. I'm... not comfortable with the idea of 'paying' a computer program." Derek frowns at the thought.
flynnarrel
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Kaisius » Sat Oct 06, 2012 7:36 pm

Jackson Wright
Split Second wrote:"Corporations have automated systems that run aspects of productions all the time. I'm... not comfortable with the idea of 'paying' a computer program." Derek frowns at the thought.

"I...actually hadn't thought of that...but, it does go back to my point about Aya's legal status. We, or rather Mainframe, can't just make her do the job, that would be wrong.", Jackson replies to Split Second. "My original concern (really just a point of order, I guess) was if there was a potential legal issue with having a...a disembodied intelligence as our accountant. I have no problem with it, but its one of those legal things that no one thinks about when they're reading comic books." Realizing that he's about to send this discussion off on another tangent, he adds, "But, as far as creating the General and Operational Manager positions and beginning the hiring process, I vote in favor....(Say, who's taking the minutes?)"
"I am not a big, fat panda....I am THE big, fat panda."-Po, Kung Fu Panda
Otakumon in New Freedom League.
Jackson Wright in Valor Unlimited.
Kaisius
Partisan
Partisan

Postby Lord Fell » Sat Oct 06, 2012 9:49 pm

Mr. DNA

Leaning back in his chair, Mr. DNA seems to be thinking about something. Much like Split Second, the speed at which Mr. DNA's mind works equates this with a considerable internal debate. "I think I need to withdraw my proposal. First, I'd rather the motion pass unanimously, and Nova has expressed uncertainty. Jackson also raises a few points which I'm not comfortable with."

"If we consider to be Aya to be a sophisticated computer program, we can proceed as I originally outlined. However, Aya has expressed that she is sentient, her actions are consistent with that argument, and the likelihood is, that Mainframe would be capable of creating an AI." Mr. DNA pauses for a second, and you can almost see the gears turning as to whether he could duplicate the feat. "My concern is that we do not yet have a legal basis to define Aya's prospective employment with Valor Unlimited. If she is sentient, I feel that we would have to compensate her in some way. If we do not, then that is comparable to slavery."

"Also, as Jackson pointed out, perhaps we need to see how the company operates before we make concrete staffing and structural decisions." Mr. DNA has been typing on his data slab as he speaks, keeping minutes. "We should continue to operate as we have in the past month. I'll take on the the bookkeeping, and write the cheques to pay the bills. I'll keep all transactions above board and transparent. Once we've had a sense of how viable the company is, in terms of stability and profit, we can revisit the matter of a corporate structure. This will also give everyone a chance to consider their current and future role in the company."
Lord Fell
Overlord
Overlord

Postby Neo-Paladin » Tue Oct 09, 2012 12:50 am

Justitia

HP:2

Condition: Normal

After her return, Justitia had simply been sitting there, letting all the legalese and corporate talk drift by her without really paying attention. She was so bored that she almost overheard the question after new business.
" Some time ago, Valor Unlimited was paid a visit by some former colleagues of mine. Apparently, there is a new drug in town, one that grants short-term superpowers. Strength, agility, toughness...pretty much what I can do. They wanted to ask if we could look into it since it really starts giving them trouble."
Neo-Paladin
Overlord
Overlord

Postby Project Icarus » Tue Oct 09, 2012 7:31 am

Flare

Flare found Justitia's new comment fascinating, compared to the dry business talk the meeting had mostly been comprised of. "So instead of getting high, users get... super? We could have dozens more supers walking around at any given moment, is what it sounds like you're saying. I mean, can you imagine if those guys down in the 'hood were selling powers instead of dope? The police would be overwhelmed! This sounds right up our alley."
Project Icarus
Daredevil
Daredevil

Postby CaptainChaos » Tue Oct 09, 2012 7:44 am

Nova

"It also sounds extremely dangerous for the average person including the police. Image the death and destruction these new super powered individuals could cause. It's bad enough the drug dealers and other criminals running around with high powered guns. Take these same people and suddenly give them the ability to rip someone's head off or worse? This definitely sounds like something we should investigate. Perhaps if we can obtain a sample of this new drug, then either Mainframe or Mr. DNA could analyze it and come up with a counteragent for it." Nova mentioned.

Turning to face Justitia,

"Any idea on how long this stuff has been on the street or in what quantities?"
CaptainChaos
Mastermind
Mastermind

Postby flynnarrel » Tue Oct 09, 2012 8:54 am

Split Second

Derek processes the thoughts. "And what are the negative side effects of the drugs? I imagine the effects are only temporary, but even so... I mean, people are people, right? Why aren't there vigilante groups forming, getting dosed on this stuff, and going our and fighting crime? Have you seen some of the 'I wish...', 'If only I had...', and other *wannabee* posts on Capewatch.com?"
flynnarrel
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby RedBstrd » Tue Oct 09, 2012 10:28 am

GM Post:

OOC wrote:As of yet, the team hasn't given a firm commitment to the police, so they don't have a very thorough source of information on the drug. In her capacity as an officer, Justitia did get a little briefing on the drug: its side effects have been limited so far because of the small numbers of people taking it. One apprehended subject, however, exhibited pretty severe withdrawal symptoms, akin to coming off harder narcotics. A hospitalized individual confided to the doctors that he took the drug as well. His withdrawal involved loss of body mass and his immune system wasn't working properly. Apparently, his body's reconfiguring of his genetic code wasn't 100% up to speed and he has been suffering a lingering weakness.

In both cases, the police/doctors haven't been able to observe long enough to know too much for certain. There are probably dozens of cases of users experiencing little to no side effects.

For the police to be aware of the drug, it's been around for at least a month. Police have been aware of it to some extent for at least a couple of weeks.
RedBstrd
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Neo-Paladin » Tue Oct 09, 2012 1:00 pm

Justitia

HP:3

Condition: Normal

" About a month or so. As for the side-effects...what little we know so far is that this drug reconfigures the genetic code of those who take it. There are some cases where the user suffers from severe withdrawal symptoms after only a few doses...and there is at least one where the user's genetic code regenerated wrongly, confining him to a hospital bed", Justita continued her report.
And the more I hear myself talk I realize I MUST talk to Juan as soon as possible and if I have to get Sylvie to clobber him over the head if he tries to leave...
Neo-Paladin
Overlord
Overlord

PreviousNext

Return to M&M Game Room