Mutants & Masterminds
HQ    ABOUT M&M    SUPER-VISION    GIMMICK'S GADGETS    M&M SUPERLINK    ATOMIC THINK TANK    M&M SHOP
Saving the world, one d20 roll at a time

Age of Heroes II: Gods and Monsters (IC)

This forum is the place for Mutants & Masterminds Play-By-Post games. Please read the M&M Game Room rules before starting or joining a game. Enjoy!

Moderators: The Mod Squad, The Justice League

Re: Age of Heroes I: Fire in the Sky (IC)

Postby knitcat » Thu Sep 27, 2012 6:05 pm

PANYA

Panya thinks to herself, "Oh crap. I didn't think that Hound would actually leave."

Panya realizes that she is now alone with the Pharinas. "This could go poorly. Kepi just got what she wanted, and that will probably play against me. Best not to let her continue with that." Panya's decided her plan, then and there. "Keep Kepi off her game. Let her continue to need to adjust."

What to do?

Panya smiled at the sisters. "I obey our most beloved Pharaoh, and he has commended me to keep you safe. If I am occupied with another task, such as assisting you with your dress, my attention will be diverted. I MUST stay focused on your personal security. Once Hound returns, I will assist."
knitcat
Bystander
Bystander

Postby roguescribner » Fri Sep 28, 2012 5:32 pm

Panya

Kepi's eyes harden as you neglect her order. "I do not wait for the dog to beckon before I act," she says icily. "Come sister, I shall assist you where this one will not." Kepi leads Inetkawes behind a screen and helps her change into her sleepwear.

"It has been so long, Kepi," Inet says airily. "Remember when we were but girls in the palace, gossiping and giggling into the night? Oh, to share a bed once more, if only for a night."

"Yes, Inet," the younger pharina responds. "So much darkness has crept into our lives recently. Let us make sure this will be a night to remember."

"Your turn!" Inet exlaims playfully. From behind the screen, you can see the elder pharina begin to undress Kepi.

"Yes," Kepi exhales. "My turn."
GM - Age of Heroes Chapter 2
Sarvak - The Injustice Gang
roguescribner
Paragon
Paragon

Postby knitcat » Sat Sep 29, 2012 6:09 pm

PANYA

Panya shifted her placement so she could see behind the screen.

"Your Highnesses. I will be unable to protect you if you are out of my sight."
knitcat
Bystander
Bystander

Postby Coyotzin » Thu Oct 04, 2012 11:06 am

Kifi
HP: 1 Luck: 1 Cond: Holding it together.

Gazman wrote:"Salih. Captain of the palace guard. I thought him a friend. I thought him a true subject of Pharaoh. But one of those belts is his. He is part of this. Just like those jackals Zuberi and Husani. Husani has been with Kepi as well. His partner nearly told me as much himself. There is a dread corruption at work in this place. "

"And we know who stand at its center." Kifi sighed, rubbing the bridge of her nose. This was getting more complicated. "Husani and Zuberi are but victims of circumstance and their own folly, but it may be safe to assume Salih was the one to open the gates. We must make sure the prisoners are safe and will not die mysteriously in the night, and conduct our own interrogations before Salih has a chance to intimidate them. Come, let us go to the prisons. Some of your friends in the army may know whose is the other belt."

She began to walk in the direction of the dungeons, there was so much to do and the day was ending.

"Let's hope Panya and Hound can block Kepi from getting in touch with any of her puppets." She spoke to Jabari in hushed tones "Kepi is smart... she has made sure nothing can point to her in a decisive way; even if we cut the limbs of her conspiracy, she will simply grow new ones later. She is cunning, but also impatient, else she would have waited longer after Nassor's death... which I now suspect she also had a hand in, but have nothing but intuition, but it was my intuition that led me to suspect her of the Eye's theft, so I will trust it again in this."
Coyotzin
Titan
Titan

Postby Gazman » Fri Oct 05, 2012 2:27 pm

Jabari
HP: 1 Condition: Conferring

Jabari walks alongside Kifi as they head towards the palace's cells. His heavily tanned knuckles turn white with the grip on his sword hilt. "You are not wrong, I think. The coward Zuberi suggested her poor hand maiden, Ahti was used as Kepi's catspaw in the Prince's murder. " The young man curses, "Set take it all. This makes a fearsome knot. Maybe now my lord father will understand why I shun politics."
Gazman
Zealot
Zealot

Postby Hound » Fri Oct 05, 2012 11:00 pm

Hound
HP: 2

The young hunter smelled the two long before he laid eyes upon them, with his keen sense of smell, Hound found the healer with ease.

He approached the two and bowed deeply from the waste, respecting their station above him, "Healer Kifi, the Pharina request a sleeping draught to ease their minds and to rush them off to sleep. I trust no one else except the Healer Kifi, or her Master Imhotep to create such a thing for consumption by the royal family." He kept his head bowed, while on more than one occasion Kifi had expressed kindness towards the boy, the Guard Captain was another matter. He knew how important he was, and how unimportant Hound was. Risking insulting him was not worth it.
Last edited by Hound on Fri Oct 12, 2012 7:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Whats wrong? You came here expecting to fight a madman, and instead found a god!?"
My Characters
Hound
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby roguescribner » Fri Oct 12, 2012 11:07 am

Panya

As Inetkawes finishes draping the night clothing over her baby sister, Kepi snorts incredulously at you. "Do you mean that I should fear my dear sister? I would eliminate such thoughts from your mind lest you force my family to reconsider your presence in the palace. Or Memphis."

Before you can answer, something appears in your peripheral vision. Standing meekly in the doorway is Ahti. The guard that was posted outside is nowhere to be seen. "Evening," Ahti bows. "I am here to attend my mistress."

Hound, Jabari, Kifi

The smell of festering wounds, sweat, and grime permeate the air as you approach the cells in the rear of the palace complex. Numerous servants aid the few guards in the area with tending to the dozens of prisoners crammed into the cells. Occasionally, screams burst from a small room in the back.

Hound appears seemingly from nowhere and addresses Kifi. The pharinas require a potion to aid in sleep. Yet Imhotep still has yet to appear in the palace.
roguescribner
Paragon
Paragon

Postby Coyotzin » Fri Oct 12, 2012 3:25 pm

Kifi
HP: 0 Luck: 1 Cond: Multi-tasking.

Kifi smiled at the boy as he arrived, but then noted his demeanor and frowned slightly. When he relayed the pharina's request she had to frown. Surely she wouldn't try to poison Inetkawes so soon, would she?

"Does she, now?" Kifi kept her brow furrowed in thought, then turned to Jabari. "It seems you will have to conduct interrogations without me. Try to first locate an officer, he is the most likely to know things... but soldiers may be privy to rumors, and more eager to cooperate."

"Now, come with me, Hound." She spoke gently. "I'm going to need your talent to pursue another avenue of investigation while I prepare the draught."

She nodded at Jabari and signaled Hound to follow.

She led him to Imhotep's wing, silent but not out of haughtiness, but because she was putting together an elixir in her head, something that might yield definite evidence and protect Inetkawes for one more night. Once in the medicine laboratory, she sighed and looked at Hound.

"This is very important." She said. "I need you to tell me on which jars in this room can you sense Ahti's scent while I prepare the elixir. You will then take it to Kepi and leave her alone with it, and tell Panya I guarantee it's perfectly safe to do so. And, this is very important... whatever Kepi uses to serve Inetkawes, you must bring it back to me."

She then sought one of the attending priestesses and asked her to check on Ahti's state, and then picked the herbs and substances with quick efficiency.

OOC: Finally using my Apothecary advantage to make an elixr invention using Treatment instead of Technology :) Since an invention would take too long, I'll jury-rig it by spending a HP:

Poison Trap Elixir: Immunity 1 (poison, Subtle 2: undetectable) + Senses 1 (Detect Poison; Feature: leave residue on container, identifiable with Treatment or appropriate Expertise) + Feature: Regular sleeping aid elixir. 6pp; Invention DC 16, jury-rig DC 21., takes 6 rounds to mix.

Treatment invention check (1d20+14=23)
Coyotzin
Titan
Titan

Postby Gazman » Fri Oct 12, 2012 3:40 pm

Jabari
HP: 1 Condition: Following Up

Jabari wrinkles his nose with distaste as the healer and the servant boy go off together. Humph. The way I recall such things, Jabari is a Captain of Charioteers and Kifi is the Apprentice to Imhotep." He considers the situation and adds to himself, "Still, it is not bad advice and what I had planned to do anyway."

As the young solider continues on to the cell complex, his nose wrinkles more and his face screws up as well. "Gah. What is the use of having all the powers of a storm if I must be plagued by odors such as these."

Jabari fixes his face and strides confidently over to the guards. "Ho, guardsman! I am Jabari, Captain of Charioteers and Known to Pharaoh. I am on assignment from the King of Kings himself. You will aid me in retrieving information from some of the Settites captured today."

Persuasion (1d20+9=10)
:( Guess everybody is fed up with this long day.
Gazman
Zealot
Zealot

Postby Hound » Fri Oct 12, 2012 7:47 pm

Hound

Hound's nostrils flared, and his small round eyes narrowed on the older woman. "Why would I do such a thing? I was sent for a sleeping daughter. What games are you playing?" His posture subconsciously grew more aggressive, and his muscles tensed. More than once the woman before him had stood up for him, spoke to him like a person.

She had supported him in ways no others had ever done so... Yet now she wanted him to take a bunch of random potions to his master? His Pharina? Simply because the airhead Ahti touched them? There must be some mistake, there is no way Kepi would know the correct thing to give to Inetkawes.

Hound may know very little of healing, but he knew that the wrong potion for the wrong ailment can cause more harm than good. Why would she risk such a thing? Could she wish harm on the royal family? Could she be the spy?

Of course! If she was a barbarian spy, of course she would think a lowly dog like Hound deserves respect, it would be the same as saying those savages who attacked the kingdom deserved respect.

"Tell me what is going on." His normally submissive tone had changed, it was strong, commanding. Anyone with excellent insight like Kifi could read the unspoken threat in his tone.
"Whats wrong? You came here expecting to fight a madman, and instead found a god!?"
My Characters
Hound
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Coyotzin » Sat Oct 13, 2012 1:03 pm

Kifi
HP: 0 Luck: 1 Cond: Convincing.

Kifi raised an eyebrow, noticing Hound's change in attitude, no longer the meek servant, but the fierce guardian.

She stopped what she was doing and gave her full attention to the boy.

"You can trust me." She spoke earnestly. "You can trust that I have the safety of the Pharaoh and the empire topmost in my mind."

"I will tell you what is going on." She continued. "But when I'm done, you will live in a much more complex and dangerous world. You will have to decide by yourself where your loyalties lie, and who do you want to be."

"What we said in the throne room is true. The person behind the invasion is inside the palace, and in this short time we have been untangling the knots of this conspiracy. We know now, from their own mouths, that Husani and Zuberi were ordered to steal the artifact that gave us all our gifts. We know that Kepi has taken Husani to her bed, or close to it. I'm sure you'll be able to smell it."

"Also, from Husani, it was probably Kepi's idea that Inetkawes went to the market without protection today, of any day. Also in Kepi's closet, I found two belts belonging to men, one of them is Salih, and it was probably him who opened the gates to the palace."

"The problem with Ahti..." She continued, her voice level. "We also know Kepi used her to get things from this place. Things that could have poisoned Nassor. Which is why I need to know which bottles Ahti handled, so I know what poison was prepared and whence the knowledge may have come from. You won't take any of them to Kepi; you'll just take the elixir she asked for."

She then pointed at her worktable.

"What I'm preparing will indeed help the Pharinas sleep, but it will also protect Inetkawes from poison, if Kepi is bold enough to try."

"So there you have it, Hound." She sighed and looked at him straight in the eyes. "We have not told the Pharaoh because we have no solid proof, but everything we have discovered points to her. Husani is convinced he will have a place at her side when her plans comes into fruition; he's in love with her and is now wandering somewhere in the spirit world. You cannot let him get near her, or he will tell her all we have discovered, and Inetkawes AND the Pharaoh will be in grave peril."

She held his gaze.

"What else do you want to know?"
Coyotzin
Titan
Titan

Postby Hound » Sat Oct 13, 2012 8:37 pm

Hound

In a matter of only a few moments, Kifi had dropped a metaphorical sand storm on top of Hound. A flurry of information seemed to strike him from every direction. She made many claims about many things, all of which focused on his master, the Pharina, Kepi.

She accused Husani and Zubari, royal guards, trusted with the life of the Pharina, of treason. What was worse, she made claims that Kepi orchestrated all of the events of today, and had even laid with several men, possibly dozens. Everyone knew her purity was, by law, saved for her future husband, a man selected by the Pharaoh himself.

She continued to claim Kepi had poisoned Nassor, and might try to poison her sister. Kepi's own beloved sister.

Kifi spoke of such things with such calm and ease, it was hard to comprehend what she was saying was treasonous. The mere mention of the daughter of the Pharaoh having anything to do with any of this was more than enough to lose one's head.

Hound had no idea what to think, his entire life was service to the royal family. Any idea other than serving and praising them had long since been beaten out of him. How could this girl think such things and remain so calm and relaxed? Why was she not struck down by the gods for even saying such things?

Kifi's last words had barely left her mouth when Hound suddenly drew his blade with lighting speed. He did not strike at the woman, but took a few steps back, remaining defensive in the event she was truly mad and lashed out at him.

"Are you mad?!" He roared at the top of his lungs. "How can you even dare think Kepi could be responsible?!" His voice cracked as he spoke. "You are insane! She is the daughter of a living god! How dare you question her? I should cut your lying tongue from your mouth and present you to the Pharaoh for punishment! You would be lucky to simply have your head cut clean from your shoulders."

"I have seen what they do to people who dare speak ill of the Royal family! I have seen men tortured, women beaten and raped, for saying even one word out of line!"

The young boy shook his head, "I trusted you! I trusted you!" he roared again and again. "You were kind to me! No one is kind to me. I should have known there was something wrong with you! She is the Pharina! The Pharina"

Hound began to back away, as if scared by the healer. His eyes began to water as he struggled with what he had been told...
My Characters
Hound
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Coyotzin » Mon Oct 15, 2012 4:17 pm

Kifi
HP: 0 Luck: 1 Cond: Soothing.

Kifi was startled for a moment when Hound drew his blade and backed off, but her heart filled with a certain sadness when he exposed his thoughts.

"Hound..." She spoke quietly and knelt to be level with him. "The gods themselves strife and plot against each other, why would their earthly children be any different?"

"It is hard for me to believe such things, but my loyalty is to the Pharaoh first, his family second, and my master Imhotep taught me to live in the river of life not as a fish, but as an ibis, and thus I see the currents that the fish cannot see for they are inside it."

"I truly hope I'm wrong. Let the gods punish me for these thoughts if I am, but I cannot afford to not see what my eyes show me. What if I am right, though? If the Pharina Kepi ascends the throne instead of Inetkawes, what do you think her rule will be like? Will the entire people of Egypt be treated as Ahti and you? Will Djoser weep in sadness from the Underworld at the mistreatment of his people?"

"I have explained to you all that I know, and why it has led me to think this way. If you think I am a traitor, strike me down now, cut my tongue and present it to the Pharaoh, but if by great misfortune I am right... then it will be your responsibility to steer Egypt back to its proper course. You do not understand it yet, but you are Chosen of the Gods now; you may think yourself a lowly dog, but now you're a Heavenly Hound; the gods have chosen you to hunt that which threatens their land. Will you forsake their calling?"

She opened her arms, exposing herself to Hound, her voice low and honeyed, but not a single lie or deception tinting it. She spoke as she believed, and there was also a hungry yearning interwoven with her words, a maternal twinge that only desired to hold Hound protectively, to heal the damage his soul had suffered in all the years of abuse.

OOC: Taking 10 on Persuasion to Fascinate DC 25, or DC 30 if Attractive 2 applies. How Hound reacts to the words depends entirely on the character, tho'; the roll is only to keep him from leaving so he hears Kifi out.
Last edited by Coyotzin on Mon Oct 15, 2012 6:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Coyotzin
Titan
Titan

Postby knitcat » Mon Oct 15, 2012 5:23 pm

PANYA

Panya doesn't like this one bit. How did Ahti get past the guard? If more people enter the room, the unknowns grow exponentially. And Panya hates the unknown.

"Pharoah, forgive me," she muttered under her breath.

Panya twisted the top half of her body toward the doorway and extended her arm in a gesture so quick that it was barely visible to the others. "No visitors," she nearly growled.

Panya busts out a Flinging Gust to push Ahti back out of the room.

hero point re-roll

knitcat
Bystander
Bystander

Postby roguescribner » Mon Oct 15, 2012 6:05 pm

Jabari

"Sit on a scarab, boy," the gruff guard responds wearily. His burly companion laughs heartily at the slight. The guards continue to move prisoners about and try to keep everyone under control. Once again, a scream echoes from a small room in the back.

GM wrote:Persuasion is a DC 15 skill, failed by one degree, the guard moves from indifferent to unfavorable.

Panya

With minimal effort you command the winds themselves to knock Ahti out of the room, slamming the door shut. Inetkawes and Kepi both appear from behind the screen and look wildly about the room. A deep thud can be felt from outside the room. "What just happened?" the elder sister asks you.

GM wrote:Reminder of the house rule with that power.

Ahti's save: 1d20+10=12
Effect rank 8 - (1 mass rank + 3 for 2nd degree failure = 4) = 4 ranks of total effect, or 500 ft. Obviously, interior walls of the palace will interfere...
roguescribner
Paragon
Paragon

PreviousNext

Return to M&M Game Room