Valor Unlimited (3e, OOC: Full)

This forum is the place for Mutants & Masterminds Play-By-Post games. Please read the M&M Game Room rules before starting or joining a game. Enjoy!
Hound
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Re: Valor Unlimited (3e, OOC: Full)

Postby Hound » Thu Aug 22, 2013 4:10 pm

RedBstrd wrote:I finally had a chance to look over Mainframe's new build. The only thing I see that doesn't work for me is his Ranged Affliction power:
• I think I've noted earlier that I'm capping Improved Critical at 3 ranks for balance reasons. It's one of those modifiers like Multiattack that is designed to break PL caps at least some of the time, so I don't like to see it raised too high or it can get abusive.
• Since the power has Limited Degree, it shouldn't have Paralyzed/Incapacitated.
• Limiting it to physical actions doesn't seem like a valid flaw since that doesn't take away half of the power's utility - almost all actions are physical (at least in the Invincible universe). If you want to keep the limitation, please feel free to make a case for why it should be OK, or perhaps explain somewhat how you see the limitation functioning. You don't need this limitation for it to work in terms of points, so you can safely remove it without changing anything else. I'm just raising the issue now in case you develop the power further later and cost does become an issue.

1. Sorry about that, I will drop my critical down. I was worrying too much about using ALL the points. my Bad
2. I forgot to delete the Limited Degree part while I was editing it. it went through a couple of revisions.
3. It's suppose to be large metal bands constricting and impairing movement. The idea is, if you're a speedster, or a pure brick like elephant, this will mess you up bad. But if you are someone like Atom Eve, this means nothing to you.

Her powers are all mental/special/magic/what ever. She doesn't need free hands to make the metal disappear off her, or to fly. Invincible flight wouldn't be affected. So while flying he could say, head butt me and it wouldn't be affected.

But if invincible was trying to run at me, or pick up a car and throw it at me, this would all be hindering him and stop him.

Likewise, Monstergirl would be hindered trying to attack with these metal bands squeezing her, however the Shapeshifter martian would be able to auto-break this because the descriptor is a binding, and he can become a liquid which auto-escapes.

Neo-Paladin wrote:We are PL 11 now? Did I miss something?

end of chapter The reward is "PL 11 with 165 points"
"Whats wrong? You came here expecting to fight a madman, and instead found a god!?"
My Characters

Neo-Paladin
Overlord
Overlord

Postby Neo-Paladin » Thu Aug 22, 2013 4:25 pm

But it's not happened yet, right?

Hound
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Hound » Thu Aug 22, 2013 4:41 pm

Neo-Paladin wrote:But it's not happened yet, right?

correct
"Whats wrong? You came here expecting to fight a madman, and instead found a god!?"
My Characters

Hound
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Hound » Thu Aug 22, 2013 4:49 pm

"Non Lethal Restricting Bands" [Ranged Affliction 12]: (1st: Hindered/Impaired, 2nd: Immobile/Disabled, 3rd: Paralyzed) Extra Condition, Cumulative, Limited to Physical Actions, Accurate 5, Increased Critical 2, Improved Aim (1 PP)

How does this look now?
My Characters

RedBstrd
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby RedBstrd » Fri Aug 23, 2013 12:35 pm

Hound wrote:3. It's suppose to be large metal bands constricting and impairing movement. The idea is, if you're a speedster, or a pure brick like elephant, this will mess you up bad. But if you are someone like Atom Eve, this means nothing to you.

Her powers are all mental/special/magic/what ever. She doesn't need free hands to make the metal disappear off her, or to fly. Invincible flight wouldn't be affected. So while flying he could say, head butt me and it wouldn't be affected.

But if invincible was trying to run at me, or pick up a car and throw it at me, this would all be hindering him and stop him.

Likewise, Monstergirl would be hindered trying to attack with these metal bands squeezing her, however the Shapeshifter martian would be able to auto-break this because the descriptor is a binding, and he can become a liquid which auto-escapes.

Ok, if you want it to leave people like Atom Eve free to act (but still make them immobile), then that's a valid Flaw.

RedBstrd
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby RedBstrd » Fri Aug 23, 2013 12:45 pm

Hound wrote:"Non Lethal Restricting Bands" [Ranged Affliction 12]: (1st: Hindered/Impaired, 2nd: Immobile/Disabled, 3rd: Paralyzed) Extra Condition, Cumulative, Limited to Physical Actions, Accurate 5, Increased Critical 2, Improved Aim (1 PP)

How does this look now?

Mechanically, that works but it is over the cost (33 pp) that you have for the AP.

Before, it was:

Affliction 12 (Ranged +1, Extra Condition +1, Limited Degree -1, Power Feats +8) for a total of 32 pp.

Now, it is:

Affliction 12 (Ranged +1, Extra Condition +1, Cumulative +1, Limited -1, Power Feats +8) for a total of 44 pp.

In other words, with the Flaw: Limited to Physical, you can get rid of the Limited Degree or add Cumulative, but not both yet.

RedBstrd
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby RedBstrd » Fri Aug 23, 2013 12:45 pm

Neo-Paladin wrote:But it's not happened yet, right?

Correct, he's just planning ahead because he's cool.

RedBstrd
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby RedBstrd » Fri Aug 23, 2013 12:53 pm

While I'm planning out the next set of story arcs, feel free to send me private messages if there's a specific direction you'd like your character's story to develop over the near future. We haven't fully explored some subplots but I'll have to steer the plot away from certain things. For example, since Lord Fell is on hiatus from the boards, for now I won't develop anything related to whatever is going on between Dora and Blake Walker unless flynnarrel wants to continue his interactions with the troubled man.

Hound
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Hound » Fri Aug 23, 2013 3:44 pm

RedBstrd wrote:
Hound wrote:"Non Lethal Restricting Bands" [Ranged Affliction 12]: (1st: Hindered/Impaired, 2nd: Immobile/Disabled, 3rd: Paralyzed) Extra Condition, Cumulative, Limited to Physical Actions, Accurate 5, Increased Critical 2, Improved Aim (1 PP)

How does this look now?

Mechanically, that works but it is over the cost (33 pp) that you have for the AP.

Before, it was:

Affliction 12 (Ranged +1, Extra Condition +1, Limited Degree -1, Power Feats +8) for a total of 32 pp.

Now, it is:

Affliction 12 (Ranged +1, Extra Condition +1, Cumulative +1, Limited -1, Power Feats +8) for a total of 44 pp.

In other words, with the Flaw: Limited to Physical, you can get rid of the Limited Degree or add Cumulative, but not both yet.

*poor imitation of a valley girl accent* Oh. Em. Gee.I am soooooo dumb. I forgot to take in account ranged. Adding in Limited Degree. My Bad.
My Characters

RedBstrd
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby RedBstrd » Sun Aug 25, 2013 8:51 pm

We just need Nova to act and then we're in the next round. Derek is up first, so if Nova doesn't post by the morning, please act so that we keep moving forward.

RedBstrd
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby RedBstrd » Mon Aug 26, 2013 9:26 pm

Ok, Mainframe, finish him off.

RedBstrd
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby RedBstrd » Tue Aug 27, 2013 3:40 am

I'll let everyone take the opportunity to post their final actions in the scene in case someone wants to do something. I'll throw up the opening post for next scene tomorrow.

As promised, all of the heroes will now be PL 11 (165 pp).

flynnarrel
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby flynnarrel » Wed Aug 28, 2013 8:51 am

Bringing Derek up to caps mostly. Improving some skills - Insight and Persuasion reflects dealing with people, setting up public relations, etc.

The only notable thing he gains is Penetrating vision when insubstantial. His rods and cones are vibrating so rapidly they can detect X-Rays.

Split Second
PL11, 135pp +30pp earned = 165

Abilities (34+2)
Strength: 0
Stamina: 4
Dexterity: 2
Agility: 6
Fighting: 4
Intelligence: 0
Awareness: 1
Presence: 1

Defences (19)
Parry: 4+4+3pp = 11
Dodge: 6+4+2pp = 12 (15 vs. Area effects)
Toughness: 4+4(costume)+2 Defensive Roll = 10
Fortitude: 4+6pp=10
Will: 1+8pp = 9

Skills: (18+2)
Acrobatics 10(+16)
Insight 6(+7 )
Persuasion 6(+7/+12)
Deception 7(+8/+13)
Perception 6 (+7)
Stealth 2 (+8 )
Slight of Hand 3(+5)

Advantages: (11) Power Attack, Attractive 2, Luck, Move by action, Equipment 2, Benefit: Fame, Defensive Roll 2, Agile Feint

Equipment:
Suit: [Undercover nano-weave vest (protection 4, subtle), immunity: Cold, Heat, Radiation,] Cellphone, Laptop, Flashlight
Free: Commlink, GPS,

Offensive: (non-Split)
initiative +22
Grapple +4
Flurry, +14, DC 23 Toughness, Multiattack, [18-20]
Thrown Storm, +16, DC 21, Toughness, Multiattack, Penetrating

Powers:

Really Quick, Like, Really: [12pp]
Enhanced Advantages: Improved Initiative 4, Evasion 2,
Speed 3
Quickness 3

Blurred Speed, Concealment 10 (All senses) Flaw: Blending, Limited: Only While Moving, Quirk - Can still be 'seen', Feat: Subtle (Rapid Senses) [5pp]
{Derek can choose to move in a more erratic way so that it's harder to target him with effects. He puts in pre-emptive ducks and zigzags in anticipation of attacks. However, to use these effects he runs slightly slower (Blending representing a diminishment of time rather than a surroundings-reactive Concealment). He never 'disappears' like others with Concealment, in fact, that he uses this effect at all is nearly undetectable, requiring Rapid senses to observe it in action.}

Linked Wall-running, Water-running (Wall-walking, Water-walking, Limited: only while moving) [2pp]
{Turns out Scotty was wrong: "Ye *CAN* change tha laws o' physics..." you only have to run fast enough}

Excess Time
Flurry of Blows Strike, 8 (str-based), Multiattack, Accurate 5, Improved Critical 2, Indirect Attack 4, Precise 2(Close- Cover, Close-Concealment), Takedown Attack 2, Accurate Attack, All out Attack, Dynamic (33/33)[(25pp+8pp)+Dynamic+ 4DAEs+3AE = 45pp]
{Derek's rapid fire punches can wear through the toughest defenses. He is remarkably accurate and even cover and Haziness are no obstacle. Further, whether it be a trick of a temporarily created Duplicate or because he moves just that fast, his blows can seem to come from any direction making them hard to defend against. This won't necessarily grant him a flat-footed attack every round but it may surprise a foe once or twice or bypass a directional protection such as a shield, or let him target the weakened leg-joints of a battlesuit. It's also a good justification for the 'alternate effects' rules on a critical hit.}
DAE: Thrown Object Storm, Blast 6, MultiAttack, Penetrating 5, Accurate 7, Split Attack, Precise Attack 2 (Ranged Counters Cover, Concealment) (33/33)
{Derek enables a handful of small thrown objects to move at incredible speeds with accuracy and enough velocity to penetrate deep.}
DAE: No, Really, I'm Quick, And I share,
Speed 7 (personal only),
Speed 7 Affects Others,
Quickness 6 Affects Others (33/33)
{Derek can Share some of his speed and Quickness with those he touches, essentially giving them extra of his seconds for the day. When using this, his own speed becomes 17 and quickness 9}
DAE: Healing 11, Restorative, Stabilize, Complication: Makes those Healed very hungry. (33/33)
{Derek Shares time with the body's Healing Process, only problem is it leaves those healed incredibly hungry. It's why he carries Split Bars}
DAE: Duplicate: Summon 10, Heroic, Flaw: Real, Distracting, Drawback- Activation 1 (Move), Feat: Mental Link (20 out of 33)
{Derek can pool his time elsewhere and a duplicate of himself comes in to being. Trouble is, when he remerges he suffers the worst damage condition of either. Also, while his time is thus allocated, the rest of his time sharing abilities are severely reduced. (His Dynamic alternate effects only have 13 points to allocate to them.)
For example: }
AE: Affliction, Area-Shapeable, Progressive (Resist by Fort, Dazed, Stunned, Incapacitated), Limited- must use move action to trace out Shaped Area, pr 11 (33/33)
{Derek leaves in his wake (trying to simulate Area-Trail, which is oddly not in 3E) areas of Sporadic time that cause anyone in them to move jerkily as parts of them are accelerated while others are not. Note that he doesn’t have access to this while Duplicated. The Limitation means that he cannot send the effect into the air or into a fire-aura'ed foe with suffering the effects (Either a good jumping check or damage save, for instance).}
AE: Move Object, Burst Area, Selective, Damaging, Flaws: Instant, Close, pr 11 (33/33)
{This represents a burst of accelerated Activity whereby he could, for example, Disarm a bunch of soldiers, or trip a group of zombies at once. He could even deliver a single well aimed Shoulder Bash (that they could be quicker enough to roll away from most of).}
AE: Insubstantial 4, Affects Other, Immunity to Suffocation(Affects Others Only), Subtle (Affects Other), Penetrating Vision (33/33)
{So I went out with this Physics Major once... What? she was a good kisser... And she told me how all the little atoms vibrate, like, all the time. So I wondered what would happen if I share time with the vibration of the atoms rather than the atoms themselves. I tried it and found that I could pass through stuff. I tried to do the same to others, just like I can share time with others and Presto! We could both do our Patrick-Swayze-in-Ghost impressions. Pretty cool huh?
Addendem: "Okay, so when I started hanging out with the big brains they turned me on to the idea that light vibrates at different frequencies, I started experimenting with that, causing my eyes to vibrate at varying speeds and BAM, well, more 'Oh-Heck-Oh-Heck-My-Eyes-are-going-to-explode-oooh-pretty'."}

Device: Environmental Protection Energy Field (Hard to lose),(18-3Removable) [15pp]
Parry +4, Dodge +4 - 8dp
Immunity: Suffocation, Vacuum, High Pressure - 4dp
Low-Light Vision, Extended Vision - 2dp
Flight 1, Continuous, Limited: Up and Down - 2dp
DAE to time array: Flight, Flaw-Platform, Aquatic, pr 20 linked Space Flight 2 - 2dp (24/33)

Top Ground Speed: 3+[array]7+7(affects others) = 17
Top Air Speed: [Platformed Flight Array setting] = 20
Top Water Speed: Flight, Platform, Aquatic pr6-2 = 18

Abilities 36 + Powers 64 + Advantages 11 + Skills 20 (40 ranks) + Defenses 19 + Device 15 = 165

Neo-Paladin
Overlord
Overlord

Postby Neo-Paladin » Wed Aug 28, 2013 9:12 am

Uhm...how much pp did we have before?
Or better...how many additional pp do we get now?

RedBstrd
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby RedBstrd » Wed Aug 28, 2013 3:22 pm

Neo-Paladin wrote:Uhm...how much pp did we have before?
Or better...how many additional pp do we get now?

Everyone should have had 158 pp before, so you get 7 pp right now.

I don't expect everyone to hit all of their PL caps immediately. You don't have to worry if you need a few more scenes to get points to increase everything.

Return to “M&M Game Room”