Age of Heroes - Chapter 2: Gods & Monsters (OOC)

This forum is the place for Mutants & Masterminds Play-By-Post games. Please read the M&M Game Room rules before starting or joining a game. Enjoy!
kingk
Cohort
Cohort

Re: Age of Heroes (Recruiting)

Postby kingk » Wed Feb 15, 2012 9:05 pm

This seems interesting, and if I can get around to posting a full character sheet I will. I was going to go with a guy who uses the "Primordial Waters" to shapeshift into a sort of were-crocodile, but then I went back and saw you didn't want shapeshifters. Would either a Thing-esque permanently transformed monster (i.e. he's always the croc-man?) or a Wolverine-esque "traits of the animal" (i.e. thick skin, razor-sharp teeth, but still human-looking) thing work?

roguescribner
Paragon
Paragon

Postby roguescribner » Wed Feb 15, 2012 9:26 pm

For reasons I'll keep to myself for now, I'd prefer if everyone appeared human(esque). So animal traits are okay, but I'd prefer if no one looked like an animal. After this first adventure, there won't be as many restrictions, I promise. :)
GM - Age of Heroes Chapter 2
Sarvak - The Injustice Gang

Lord Fell
Overlord
Overlord

Postby Lord Fell » Wed Feb 15, 2012 9:44 pm

You know I've been waiting for this...

What is leaping to mind, may be totally inappropriate, so I'm going to need a firm Yea, or Nay. The last time I played a Vampire: Masquerade game, our characters where sort of mixed and matched... which is to say, we were given some specific attributes we had to have, customized to suit, and then our characters were Embraced by a vampire of a Clan for a specific reason.

My character was a very nordic girl, pure of spirit and dull of wit. This girl was embraced by a Settite, who was intrigued to know what a Truly "good girl" would do, when afflicted by vampirism; the need to drink blood, being repelled by holy symbols, and other assorted Frenzies that vampires are subject to.

How this relates to this game... is the base character would be a slave (if I was allowed to go with the original north European stock) or a servant girl who is short on smarts. Her Power would be of Darkness, and it would seem like corruption. The power would seem to have an influence of the dark god Set... if this is because of an actual Divine connection, or just because that is how someone in ancient Egypt would personify the corrupting influence, is up to you. Also, the character really would have a purity of spirit, while the Power of Darkness would be, putting it as simply as possible, Evil.

RedBeardJim
Bystander
Bystander

Postby RedBeardJim » Wed Feb 15, 2012 10:01 pm

Okay, how does this look for a build?

Antesh -- palace-drudge-turned-time-manipulator -- PL 8

Antesh is a worker in the palace, as were his father and grandfather before him. He is strong and healthy, and as such is generally assigned heavy manual labor duties if any are needed.

ABILITIES
Strength 3, Stamina 3, Agility 0, Dexterity 0, Fighting 0, Intellect 1, Awareness 4, Presence 0

ADVANTAGES
Agile Feint, Defensive Roll 2, Evasion 1, Fast Grab, Instant Up, Move-by Action, Uncanny Dodge

SKILLS
Athletics 2 (+5), Close Combat (Unarmed) 2 (+2)

POWERS
Eternal Strike (21 pp)
-- Can't Dodge What You Can't See (Linked)
------Enhanced Trait: Close Combat (Unarmed) +6
-- Power of Time (Linked)
------Damage 4 (Strength-based; Multiattack & Selective to Damage 7)
Eternal Senses (8 pp)
-- Senses 8: Precognition, Postcognition, Unreliable (Roll)
Slow Time (48 pp)
-- Eternal Attunement (Enhanced Awareness 4)
-- Eternal Reflexes (Enhanced Dodge 11; Enhanced Parry 11)
-- I'm Done! (Quickness 5)
-- I'm Not Surprised! (Advantage: Improved Initiative 3)
-- You're All So Slow (Speed 5; Affects Others)
Time Stop (14 pp)
-- Teleport 7 (Affects Others; Tiring)

OFFENSE
Initiative +12
Eternal Strike: +8, DC 22

DEFENSES
Dodge 11, Parry 11, Fortitude 8, Toughness 5/3, Will 8

COMPLICATIONS
Prejudice: Member of servant/slave class
Responsibility: Must keep up with regular assigned duties

LANGUAGES
Native Language

POWER POINTS
Abilities 14 + Powers 87 + Skills 2 (4 ranks) + Advantages 8 + Defenses 9 = 120
Last edited by RedBeardJim on Wed Feb 15, 2012 10:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

roguescribner
Paragon
Paragon

Postby roguescribner » Wed Feb 15, 2012 10:02 pm

@ Lord Fell

Sounds good. Like I said in an earlier post, I'm not looking for any god-analogues or even any direct references to them in the character builds. You can certainly have one in mind when creating the character, but it won't have a big effect in game. At least, not in the obvious way.

I like the contrast between a "good girl" cursed with "evil powers." :)

roguescribner
Paragon
Paragon

Postby roguescribner » Wed Feb 15, 2012 10:14 pm

@ RedBeardJim

I need to hit the hay soon, but at first glance the build seems good. The presence of pre- and postcognition is of concern to me. I don't like telling players "no" and I'm not going to do that now, but I would probably add the Uncontrollable flaw to your pre-/postcog senses since I would want to have the freedom to impart what knowledge to you that I could without risking hurting the game. I get that it's part of the concept and it makes sense, I just don't want it to cause problems down the road.

I used it to good effect in my prior game as Lord Fell can attest, but I think it helps if the GM holds the reigns with a power like that.

RedBeardJim
Bystander
Bystander

Postby RedBeardJim » Wed Feb 15, 2012 10:17 pm

@ roguescribner

So, basically replace Unreliable with Uncontrollable? That would be cool, in fact that'd actually make more sense to me.

roguescribner
Paragon
Paragon

Postby roguescribner » Wed Feb 15, 2012 10:21 pm

Yes, that would be fine.

optionqb
Champion
Champion

Postby optionqb » Thu Feb 16, 2012 9:18 am

GameMaster wrote:
optionqb wrote:Although I'm still developing a concept for a character, I have this idea for a power. I wanted to run it by some folks and see if my power build is "legal" under 3e rules. My idea is to create a "Thorn" energy-field, which is basically a force field which simply reflects any attacks back at the aggressor. Of course it would still not work against AoE attacks, Perception Range Attacks, or any attack that is not resisted by Dodge/Parry. I see it as going like this:

Impervious Protection 8 Linked to Deflect 8 (Personal, Reflect, Reactive) 40 pts.

Would that be legit?

You can't change the action for the Defend action, which is what Deflect uses. This would be an expensive Ranged Damage, Reaction; linked to Protection.

I think this power would make much more sense (and be a lot cheaper) if I nixed the whole idea of it working at range. Also, the power should only work against physical attacks. That should be a flaw that cheapens it as well.

Coyotzin
Titan
Titan

Postby Coyotzin » Thu Feb 16, 2012 1:13 pm

Kifi - PL 8

Abilities - 26pp
Strength 0, Stamina 5, Agility 5/1*, Dexterity 0, Fighting 0, Intellect 4, Awareness 0, Presence 3
*human form

Advantages - 18pp
Attractive 2, Benefit: Apothecary-Create healing poultices as inventions with Treatment, Defensive Roll, Defensive Roll 3, Evasion 2, Fascinate (Persuasion), Favored Environment: water, Inspire 3, Luck 3, Move-by Action, Prone Fighting, Set-up 2, Skill Mastery: Deception, Skill Mastery: Persuasion, Taunt, Teamwork

Skills - 21pp
Deception 12 (+15), Insight 10 (+10), Investigation 6 (+10), Perception 8 (+8), Persuasion 12 (+15), Stealth 5 (+10), Treatment 10 (+14)

Powers - 44pp
Form of the Nile (water form; Activation: Move Action) - 33p
. . Body of Water: Insubstantial 1 (Fluid) - 5pp
. . Fluidity: Swimming 5 (Speed: 16 miles/hour, 250 feet/round) -6pp
. . . . Flowing: (AE) Movement 2 (Permeate 1: speed rank -2, Slithering; Limited: permeate only through soft earth [1 rank only]) + Speed 2 (Speed: 8 miles/hour, 120 feet/round) - 1pp
. . Immunity 2 (Suffocation (All)) - 2pp
. . Tidal Qualities: Enhanced Trait 19 (Traits: Agility +4 (+5), Parry +4 (+7), Advantages: Defensive Roll 3, Evasion 2, Favored Environment: water, Prone Fighting) - 19pp
. . Translucent Water: Concealment 3 (Sense - Sight, Sense - Smell; Blending, Partial, Passive) - 1pp

. . Fury of the Nile (alternate deluge form, base 32 pp) - 1pp
. . . . Drowning Overflow: Concentration Cumulative Burst Area Affliction 8 (drowning; Linked; Dazed, Stunned, Incapacitated, Resisted by Fortitude DC 18; Burst Area 2: 60 feet radius sphere, Concentration, Cumulative, Selective; Activation: move action, Distracting, Side Effect 2 always: Herself and allies are targeted instead by Hindered/Immobile/Paralyzed) - 23pp
. . . . Immunity 3 (Linked; Critical Hits, Suffocation (All)) - 3pp
. . . . Insubstantial: Insubstantial 1 (Linked; Fluid, Advantages: Prone Fighting; Activation: move action)

Healing Kiss: Healing 10 (Persistent, Restorative; Distracting, Empathic) - 11pp

Offense
Initiative +5 (+1 in human form)
Affliction: Concentration Cumulative Burst Area Affliction 8 (DC Fort 18)
Grab, +0 (DC Spec 10)
Throw, +0 (DC 15)
Unarmed, +0 (DC 15)

Languages
Egyptian

Defense
Dodge 7, Parry 7/3*, Fortitude 7, Toughness 9/5*, Will 4
*in human form

Power Points
Abilities 26 + Powers 44 + Advantages 18 + Skills 21 (63 ranks) + Defenses 11 = 120

Complications
Infertility: Kifi is only fertile in her water form.
Thrall: Kifi would do anything for Imhotep. Anything.
Time and Tide: Kifi's power is tied to the tide and the phases of the Moon. Other than Insubstantial, her powers operate at -2 ranks during the new moon, and during the full moon, a roll of 20 will shift her out of her current form.

Hero Lab® and the Hero Lab logo are Registered Trademarks of LWD Technology, Inc. Free download at http://www.wolflair.com
Mutants & Masterminds, Third Edition is ©2010-2011 Green Ronin Publishing, LLC. All rights reserved.

Name: Kifi
Age/Gender: 19/F
Position: Assistant/Attendant to Priest Imhotep
Power Source: Primordial Waters

Appearance
Kifi was blessed with a ravishing beauty that promised a prosperous life. The tips of her lustrous black hair are adorned with multicolored beads, although she often ties it behind her back with simple cloth strips while she works. She often wears bead-garments that reveal every bit of her body, but just as often wears simple linen robes.

Personality
Kifi's demeanor is pleasant and charming, measuring rapt attention against self-affirmation, depending on who she interacts with. She is a dutiful servant and has no rebellious thought in her mind, mostly because she does not believe herself worthy of aspiring to anything greater. The self-loathing she feels for being barren is carefully hidden beneath layers of rationalization and devotion to her duties. Her feelings towards Imhotep are a complex knot of admiration, gratitude, love, lust, and outright worship. Before the gods, the pharaoh and her own soul, there is only Imhotep.

Powers & Abilities
Her former position in the Temple of Hathor left Kifi with a gift for human interaction, a keen understanding of people's natures that allows her to get her way (when she thinks of exercising such power); she knows how to lift or crush anyone's spirits. Her training and labor under Imhotep gave her the tools for scientific thinking and flourished as a healer and apothecary. The power she gains from the Primordial Waters allows her to turn her form into liquid, and while she is by no means a combatant in any way, the way she flows around the field lets her position foes for any ally to strike, although she can channel all her frustrations and fury into a terrible maelstrom that floods her vicinities and threatens to drown all who stand near her. Her more gentle side focused the power of the Waters into a true healing gift, with her kiss carrying the power to heal wounds and cleanse a body of disease.

Background
The daughter of a mildly successful merchant, Kifi was believed to have a great future as a priestess of Hathor thanks to the beauty that was apparent even from her birth. She ordained herself upon becoming a woman, and under the other priestesses' tutelage she became a sacred prostitute until the time where the goddess would bless her with child and she would return to her family and a suitor. But no child came, even if she grew even more beautiful.

Suspicious of such abnormal state of affairs, the priestesses contacted Imhotep, the royal physician, who quickly discovered that Kifi was barren. Infertility was a terrible stigma for a priestess of Hathor, and thus Imhotep told these news only to her. He had recognized a spark of brilliance in her and had deemed it wasted in the service of gods. He told the priestesses that Kifi's lack of child was a sign that she was destined to help other women with their own pregnancies, and offered her tutelage.

The priestesses were no fools and knew exactly what was going on, but they saw Imhotep's offer as a good solution for everyone involved. They would not suffer from having accepted a barren girl into their ranks, and they would get rid of her with high honors.

Kifi was not happy at first, but as she trained under the gifted scholar, she grew to admire him, and with admiration came a passionate, unrequited love. She is a dutiful apprentice and proved Imhotep's assessment correct, for she has a keen mind for medicine and, as the scholar's health falters, she is quite ready to take his place as a physician, even if she cannot expect to fill his talented sandals in all other aspects of his brilliance.

ZetaGilgamesh
Bystander
Bystander

Postby ZetaGilgamesh » Thu Feb 16, 2012 2:40 pm

I am thinking of an earth-type powerhouse. The apprentice/son of a stonecutter working on a pyramid/temple/monument for the pharaoh. One possiblitiy could be one of the larger ka statues that pharaohs built to house their soul (ka) after death. Or a sphinx.

When on solid ground he has incredible strenght and the ability to cut/destroy inorganic matter. Something along the line of a Disintegrate effect limited to stone/wood and the like.

roguescribner
Paragon
Paragon

Postby roguescribner » Thu Feb 16, 2012 6:42 pm

@ RedBeardJim

Remember skills are 3 ranks per power point instead of the normal 2, except for combat skills, so your Close Combat ranks would still be 2/pp. You have an extra skill rank from your Athletics to spend without any additional cost you.

Unless I'm missing something in the rules, I don't think the Selective extra is necessary for your Eternal Strike as that's close range anyway. If it was an area attack, that'd make sense, but if you added it for use with Multiattack, save your points.

We discussed your pre- and postcog senses, just remember to make it Uncontrollable. Also, if you swap your listed Unreliable flaw for my requested Uncontrollable, the cost should only be 4pp, not 8pp.

Also, I believe the unarmed close combat bonus wouldn't carry over to your Eternal Strike attack. This is where 3E gets a little fuzzy for me, so correct me if I'm wrong, but you're adding damage to a power that can't be considered a typical unarmed attack, which would just use your base strength damage effect. The attack itself works conceptually, but I think the bonus needs to specify Eternal Strike and not the vanilla unarmed attack. You're essentially building a speedster type so having the damage derive from your fast moves versus raw power makes sense. So I wouldn't use enhanced strength or anything, just place the bonus on that one attack.

If you're still worried about your unarmed attack bonus, well, you have 4pp to spend from your senses that can offset that some (a few ranks of the close combat advantage).

Other than that, the build itself seems generally in good shape. I'll be interested to see more of your character background notes when you get them up. :)

roguescribner
Paragon
Paragon

Postby roguescribner » Thu Feb 16, 2012 6:51 pm

@ZetaGilgamesh

Concept sounds good. I look forward to the build.

EnigmaticOne
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby EnigmaticOne » Thu Feb 16, 2012 6:53 pm

So my idea has become a soldier of rank with regeneration powers, Immunity to Aging and Immortality... kinda like an Egyptian Vandal Savage... thus I could carry him over to future adventures.
Impeach the peach!

Coyotzin
Titan
Titan

Postby Coyotzin » Thu Feb 16, 2012 6:56 pm

roguescribner wrote:@ RedBeardJim

Also, I believe the unarmed close combat bonus wouldn't carry over to your Eternal Strike attack. This is where 3E gets a little fuzzy for me, so correct me if I'm wrong, but you're adding damage to a power that can't be considered a typical unarmed attack, which would just use your base strength damage effect. The attack itself works conceptually, but I think the bonus needs to specify Eternal Strike and not the vanilla unarmed attack. You're essentially building a speedster type so having the damage derive from your fast moves versus raw power makes sense. So I wouldn't use enhanced strength or anything, just place the bonus on that one attack.

You are correct; Strength-Based Damage is not the same effect as an unarmed attack and they are considered different Close Combat skills. A trick to add damage to unarmed strikes as part of a power is Enhanced Strength (Limited to attacks), which is the logical counterpart of Power-Lifting.

Also, normal Strength should also have Multiattack added to it. I see that the points are spent and written as "Selective to Damage 7", which is what I think it refers that Multiattack is actually spent on 7 ranks: 4 for the Damage effect and 3 for normal Strength. A clearer way to put this is to add "Strength Effect 3 (Multiattack) as a separate effect.

A simply formatting issue, the effects of Eternal Strike need not be linked; Eternal Strike is simply a power composed of several effects that are always active and available.

Return to “M&M Game Room”