Age of Heroes - Chapter 2: Gods & Monsters (OOC)

This forum is the place for Mutants & Masterminds Play-By-Post games. Please read the M&M Game Room rules before starting or joining a game. Enjoy!
Coyotzin
Titan
Titan

Re: Age of Heroes (Recruiting)

Postby Coyotzin » Wed Feb 15, 2012 1:42 pm

Settling on a healer type; an attendant/apprentice of Imhotep in the medical arts, tying to the primordial waters for fertility, life, and Insubstantial 1 :)

Dureign
Heavyweight
Heavyweight

Postby Dureign » Wed Feb 15, 2012 1:59 pm

I was going to make a time-manipulating slave to the wenuty (hour-watcher) priest, but RedBeard seems to have beat me to the punch.

Instead, I'll make an invisible, wire-fu leaping Robin Hood-like thief - secretly the mischievous son of a failing merchant. I'm still thinking of ideas for the power concept of air, so hopefully I'll come up with something more original/clever.
Last edited by Dureign on Wed Feb 15, 2012 2:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Neo-Paladin
Overlord
Overlord

Postby Neo-Paladin » Wed Feb 15, 2012 2:06 pm

Hmm...I am kind of having an idea for a Paragon-type connected to darkness via death - maybe a priest who learns how to channel the powers of the dead...however, I am not sure if darkness would cover death.

roguescribner
Paragon
Paragon

Postby roguescribner » Wed Feb 15, 2012 2:07 pm

GameMaster wrote:Could you explain the core power concepts? I'm completely unfamiliar I'm afraid.

I'm interested in playing a female courtier within the palace walls. Not a concubine, more of an entertainer/dancer for the royal court. I doubt many would go that route in a game like this, so I think it'd be a unique concept. :wink:

Well, I don't want to lock anyone down into a narrow definition of the sources of power. But RedBeardJim and Coyotzin are off to a good start. :)

Broad strokes, primordial waters could have anything to do with life or nature (or water, obviously); air/invisibility could deal with light, color, environment, flight, etc.; darkness could deal with shadows, death, astral beings, etc.; and eternity/infinite space could deal with time/speed, healing, travel, ESP, etc. I don't really want to define the power sources as they are supposed to represent the core of what makes everything possible, so please feel open to interpret them freely. If I feel something needs further clarification, I'll say so, but I don't foresee having any problems with builds that are built with a clear concept behind them.
GM - Age of Heroes Chapter 2
Sarvak - The Injustice Gang

Neo-Paladin
Overlord
Overlord

Postby Neo-Paladin » Wed Feb 15, 2012 2:10 pm

How much time do we have to come up with a build? Got no time to finish one today :(

roguescribner
Paragon
Paragon

Postby roguescribner » Wed Feb 15, 2012 2:12 pm

I don't have a set date yet. We'll see how fast builds get posted and I may post a deadline later. For now, it's simply open recruitment.

GameMaster
Comrade
Comrade

Postby GameMaster » Wed Feb 15, 2012 2:35 pm

In that case, I think I'll go with eternity as a concept and make my courtier a sort of time-manipulating speedster.

I'd like to go more mystical with her though, maybe a spin on probability control through time distortion. Does that sound appropriate?

Also, just a query, are these goingto be the power origins for every one-shot or will they change?
Games
Janice Powers - H.E.A.R.T.
Prototype- Infinity Inc.

roguescribner
Paragon
Paragon

Postby roguescribner » Wed Feb 15, 2012 2:48 pm

The power origins are specific to this chapter. It plays into the mythology of the time.

Also, I neglected to mention that I will be choosing one to two submissions from each power source, so if there's a bunch of submissions for one, you may want to try your hand at another.

Time control as a descriptor for specific effects is fine, but I'd like to avoid time travel as anything but a plot device.

Bombaatu
Paragon
Paragon

Postby Bombaatu » Wed Feb 15, 2012 3:37 pm

Hrm - I'm thinking about revisiting a concept I never got to play. It's a bowman of legendary - nay, godlike - skill. Incredibly accurate & a variety of effects (crippling shot, multi-attacks, etc.). It requires him to have a bow to do these things but the bow itself doesn't matter - it could be any bow. He also has remarkable eyesight.

GameMaster
Comrade
Comrade

Postby GameMaster » Wed Feb 15, 2012 4:21 pm

It seems someone else got the speedster idea before I did. And since everything else is spoken for nothing remains exclusive.

I'll stick to the Eternity power but change from speedster to probability control. Something between Domino/Longshot and Scarlet Witch.

She'll be the palace fortune teller by trade. (Haveto look up how fortune telling worked in Egypt at that time.)
Games
Prototype- Infinity Inc.

roguescribner
Paragon
Paragon

Postby roguescribner » Wed Feb 15, 2012 4:39 pm

While I wouldn't advise doubling up on a lot of specific powers, there can be overlap in the nature of the powers since I'll be looking for a male and female for each core power source.

Also, that doesn't mean there are 8 slots open for this game. Some of those will be filled by NPCs. :) I'll probably want around 5 players.

Gazman
Hero
Hero

Postby Gazman » Wed Feb 15, 2012 7:35 pm

I have a few ideas I'd like to run past you before doing a build.

A palace sesh (scribe) who made so many copies of the Book of Going Forth by Day that he actually gained a mystical connection to duat (the underworld). He can command shades or ba spirits, weigh hearts against the feather of ma'at, and pronounce judgement.

A young military captain who has risen fast in the ranks because of his unerring speed and skill, brought about by his air power. Extreme physical prowess with no balancing wisdom or experience.

The daughter of a nobleman who wants to attract one of Pharaoh's sons. Her young heart is so full of love and life that she can access the water of life to heal wounds, soothe troubled spirits, and commune with beasts.

optionqb
Champion
Champion

Postby optionqb » Wed Feb 15, 2012 7:43 pm

Although I'm still developing a concept for a character, I have this idea for a power. I wanted to run it by some folks and see if my power build is "legal" under 3e rules. My idea is to create a "Thorn" energy-field, which is basically a force field which simply reflects any attacks back at the aggressor. Of course it would still not work against AoE attacks, Perception Range Attacks, or any attack that is not resisted by Dodge/Parry. I see it as going like this:

Impervious Protection 8 Linked to Deflect 8 (Personal, Reflect, Reactive) 40 pts.

Would that be legit?

GameMaster
Comrade
Comrade

Postby GameMaster » Wed Feb 15, 2012 8:41 pm

optionqb wrote:Although I'm still developing a concept for a character, I have this idea for a power. I wanted to run it by some folks and see if my power build is "legal" under 3e rules. My idea is to create a "Thorn" energy-field, which is basically a force field which simply reflects any attacks back at the aggressor. Of course it would still not work against AoE attacks, Perception Range Attacks, or any attack that is not resisted by Dodge/Parry. I see it as going like this:

Impervious Protection 8 Linked to Deflect 8 (Personal, Reflect, Reactive) 40 pts.

Would that be legit?

You can't change the action for the Defend action, which is what Deflect uses. This would be an expensive Ranged Damage, Reaction; linked to Protection.
Games
Prototype- Infinity Inc.

roguescribner
Paragon
Paragon

Postby roguescribner » Wed Feb 15, 2012 8:53 pm

@Gazman,

Remember, everyone starts out powerless and the powers will manifest after an in game event. Also, everyone should just be starting their careers, with maybe a year or two of experience under their belts. That's not to say they can't have any renown in their class (or in general), but overall the player characters should be just regular people who have something special happen to them.

Otherwise, the power concepts are fine. I hadn't considered the idea of spirits in the game, but I'm not opposed to it. A hot shot soldier would fit right in, especially as a noble's son. A noble's daughter trying to attract the attention of the Pharaoh's son isn't out of place either.

@ optionqb

According to the DCA book, Deflect cannot be taken at reaction because it requires a standard action to use the Defend action. It suggests using Enhanced Dodge/Parry with the Area and Selective extras.

Now since I'm still learning some quirks of 3E over 2E, I'm not quite getting what adding those extras to Enhanced Dodge/Parry would actually do. I guess allowing you to use your enhanced defense ranks for any targets you choose within your range. You could still make the duration Reaction but I don't think the Reflect extra from Deflect would carry over. You can still link Impervious Protection to it if you like, but I would buy the Protection power separately (so only the Impervious kicks in when you use the field).

Someone more familiar with 3E can jump in to shed some more light on this, but that's how I interpret what the book says.

Return to “M&M Game Room”