Emerald City Knights OOC

This forum is the place for Mutants & Masterminds Play-By-Post games. Please read the M&M Game Room rules before starting or joining a game. Enjoy!
Arthur Eld
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Re: Emerald City Knights OOC

Postby Arthur Eld » Mon Sep 17, 2012 8:31 pm

Badpenny is right, there's nothing official that says Athletics and leaping interact. And for some concepts that makes a lot of sense-one of the example Leaping descriptor in the core book is jumpjets, which athletics wouldn't really interface with.

However, I think for some descriptors they should interact. Rocky and Ronin, for one thing.

So we'll do it how they do it for speed. Make a DC 15 Athletics check and you can bump up your distance rank of Leaping by 1. So Rocky for example auto-succeeds (he has +14 Athletics) and thus so long as his Strength and Athletics ranks don't decrease for any reason, he can effectively act as though he has rank 5 Leaping.

So, under this house-rule, Ronin can make a running high jump of 100 feet (running long=500. 500/5=100). Should be enough to get to the roof-stories is a loose unit of measure, but I figure the detention center's ceiling aren't the normal office height of 10 feet. They're probably close to 8 feet (too bad for really big stormers, right?), for a final building height of 98 feet-the ground floor is 10 feet. You can just make it

That was entirely too much typing to say 'roll an athletics check, DC 15. Success gets you to the roof. Fail, you smack into the side of the building-but maybe I'll be nice and let you bust through a window.'

However, when and if you decide to use Extra Effort for more leaping, why not just power-stunt 6 more ranks off of Speed?
Last edited by Arthur Eld on Mon Sep 17, 2012 8:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kenseido
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby kenseido » Mon Sep 17, 2012 8:36 pm

Arthur Eld wrote:However, when and if you decide to use Extra Effort for more leaping, why not just power-stunt 6 more ranks off of Speed?

Because my brain got stuck on Extra Effort and Leaping distance and Athletics and how 2E is different from 3E.

That was entirely to much typing for "That's a good idea."
-----------------------------
Kenseido's Menagerie of Characters

Arthur Eld
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Arthur Eld » Mon Sep 17, 2012 8:40 pm

Incidentally, who do you guys think would make a good 'actor' for Tempus? I'm pretty happy I picked Ty Burrel for Mars-I think he's a hilarious actor and picturing his propensity for deadpan humor with Mars habit of being very upfront that he's the smartest man in the room makes for a good mix.

Tempus has so far been my favorite NPC to roleplay. Course, this version is a little different from the one you guys have faced before.

Kreuzritter
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Kreuzritter » Mon Sep 17, 2012 8:50 pm

hard to say, but you want somebody who can go from zero to S#!*house rat crazy in a free action or less
Kreuz Control Promotions: over 2800 builds served, and counting...
Crinoverse: Contributions

Arthur Eld
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Arthur Eld » Mon Sep 17, 2012 9:20 pm

Hurm...Alan Tudyk?

Sriseru
Zealot
Zealot

Postby Sriseru » Tue Sep 18, 2012 3:27 am

Just a heads up.
I'm having limited internet connection right now, due to technical issues with my modem. I will still be able to post daily, but if I suddenly disappear, you'll know why.

kenseido
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby kenseido » Tue Sep 18, 2012 8:46 am

Well we're outnumbered two to one, so depending on how many run away and how many stay and fight; we probably aren't going to have a huge amount of success here.
-----------------------------
Kenseido's Menagerie of Characters

Kreuzritter
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Kreuzritter » Tue Sep 18, 2012 8:48 am

I fully expect gargantua to feild kick rocky to the other side of the prison, yeah.
Kreuz Control Promotions: over 2800 builds served, and counting...
Crinoverse: Contributions

Arthur Eld
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Arthur Eld » Tue Sep 18, 2012 8:48 am

Ok, thanks for the notice.

And yeah, Faster Pussycat is supposed to be jaw-droppingly, head-clouding, heart stoppingly beautiful. She's one of the few official builds with Attractive 2. So don't feel bad you didn't make the roll, Kreuz, it was actually pretty bad for her-after the Attractive bonus, she has a +22 Deception check.

Arthur Eld
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Arthur Eld » Tue Sep 18, 2012 8:50 am

kenseido wrote:Well we're outnumbered two to one, so depending on how many run away and how many stay and fight; we probably aren't going to have a huge amount of success here.

Yeah, it was funny (to me) earlier when you asked if the last fight was one of those you weren't supposed to win.

That would be this fight. Although its less 'the good guys lose' and more 'the bad guys kind of win'. Still plenty of opportunities to be heroic and kick ass.

badpenny
Overlord
Overlord

Postby badpenny » Tue Sep 18, 2012 9:18 am

I actually think it's GOOD if we lose.

Arthur Eld
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Arthur Eld » Tue Sep 18, 2012 10:29 am

Incidentally, for those of you wondering why Recall isn't among the prisoners being rescued its because, true to his word, he escaped on his own a few days ago. The fact that no one knows yet is because he was able to flawlessly impersonate a guard (photographic reflexes help with that sort of thing).

Omega Girl
Superhero
Superhero

Postby Omega Girl » Tue Sep 18, 2012 4:44 pm

If we've had files on all of these stormers, how dangerous are they? Not as in, who can hurt us, but more who's been using their powers for robberies versus who's caused bodily harm or endangered innocents?

If Faster Pussycat is just a thief, she's absolutely no priority.

Arthur Eld
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Arthur Eld » Tue Sep 18, 2012 4:53 pm

Ah, well I'll be giving you the information as the characters are presented to you.

Basically for FP I told you everything that's really known about her. She's a very attractive thief, and she obviously relies on her speed and looks. She's only slightly catlike-her claws are retractable-and not overly violent. Your files didn't have information on her arrest yet-Mars might be able to explain why, next time you talk to him.

Also, she's not technically a stormer, but no one really knows that yet-mostly cause most people still aren't sure how the storm gave people powers.

Lord Quake, for example, you don't know anything about-he wasn't in the files. Clearly he's at least working with members of FOE-maybe he is one himself. Same with Nightblade and Dreadnought, there's no file on them-although again, Mars might know something.

Other stormers fall into two camps-ones you've already encountered and ones you're not really going to be dealing with in this fight (for reasons that shall be seen). I'll give you little blurbs on them as they're seen, but they're mostly background for this scene-just like the horde of normal escaped cons.

As for FP not being a priority, she just managed to daze Rocky. She might not be as dangerous as Quake or Cannon, but she can case problems in her own way.

Omega Girl
Superhero
Superhero

Postby Omega Girl » Tue Sep 18, 2012 5:49 pm

It doesn't really make any sense for a thief to pick a fight with a whole team of supers in a jail break. Wouldn't she want to beat feet instead of risk being put right back?

Return to “M&M Game Room”