The Disappeared: OOC

This forum is the place for Mutants & Masterminds Play-By-Post games. Please read the M&M Game Room rules before starting or joining a game. Enjoy!
heretic454
Mastermind
Mastermind

The Disappeared: OOC

Post by heretic454 » Fri Apr 29, 2011 9:26 am

Prologue: No Reason to Get Excited
Chapter One: As Levies Against the Flood
So without further ado, here's the concept:

The Concept:
The Disappeared

Eight young men and women (with of course others) are on a transatlantic flight that disappears over the Bermuda Triangle. For a month afterwards the world looks on in horror and concern as a search goes on for the bodies and wreckage of the plane, but nothing is found, and no answers are gleaned.

Then a month later, the plane requests a landing at JFK International Airport, requesting an emergency landing due to engine trouble and other concerns.

For the people on the flight it’s as if very little time has passed, save for some very different and very strange memories. The plane shows no evidence of foul play and there’s no evidence whatsoever that any time has passed for those on the plane. But as time begins to pass some people on board the plane - those with some of the most vivid memories, begin to develop powers.

The mechanics:
Build your character between PL 3 for a random Civilian, or PL 5 if they’ve been a soldier or cop. Give them a history, and a reason to have been on the Transatlantic flight. Your character can be from anywhere, but the game will primarily take place in New York City, so they should be based there, or at least have strong ties there.
Once you’ve built that character, you should build the character as a PL 11 190 point character.
We’re looking at a moral greyscale with a lot of roleplay. If you’re not interested in character interaction or combat taking a backseat to good conversation (but sometimes we just need to blow some #%#^ up...) then don’t apply. I’ll be taking 8 characters.

I want this game to be a bit of a sandbox. There will be a lot of time for your character to interact with the world on their terms, but the players should be aware that they need to find reasons to interact with their fellow players. There will be an overarching story and plot, but it will be informed by you as much as it is by me.

There will be character progression, but at first there will be very little.

Inspirations: First season of Heroes (the one that didn’t suck); the 4400, Dark City

Arthur Eld: Jake Morowitz, PL 3, PL 11
ClassDunce: Natalie Cameron
Whiteprofit: Macer Jablonski Pilot of flight 454
task: Elise
Rybaer : Jimmer Trudy Conman
Valiantheart: Michael Crowley
Apollo987: Joseph Bishop
Last edited by heretic454 on Sun Jun 05, 2011 5:18 pm, edited 8 times in total.

wormmonda
Collaborator
Collaborator

Re: The Disappeared: Interest and Recruitment

Post by wormmonda » Fri Apr 29, 2011 9:45 am

Oh, this sounds interesting. Would probably go for an artist/musician, or maybe a talented student in those fields.

Question: most characters in Heroes and 4400 has a single "power" (regeneration, mind reading, flight, etc). Should we build our characters like that?

Ophion
Comrade
Comrade

Post by Ophion » Fri Apr 29, 2011 9:46 am

This sounds interesting.

Question: What sorts of powers/effects are acceptable and what aren't? And not just in terms of possible game-breakage, but in terms of what would make sense for your proposed setting.

Arthur Eld
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Post by Arthur Eld » Fri Apr 29, 2011 9:50 am

What Edition, 2 or 3?

EPIC
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Post by EPIC » Fri Apr 29, 2011 10:00 am

Arthur Eld wrote:What Edition, 2 or 3?
My question was ninja'd!

heretic454
Mastermind
Mastermind

Post by heretic454 » Fri Apr 29, 2011 10:49 am

Arthur Eld wrote:What Edition, 2 or 3?
3e. I think I know it better at this point, but if you want to build your character in 2e because you don't have the book or whatever, please do and I'll work with you to get it into 3e. I don't want edition to be a hurdle for players becasue 1) they're pretty close save for a few select things and 2) I don't want mechanics to be an issue stopping people from entering the running.
wormmonda wrote:Oh, this sounds interesting. Would probably go for an artist/musician, or maybe a talented student in those fields.

Question: most characters in Heroes and 4400 has a single "power" (regeneration, mind reading, flight, etc). Should we build our characters like that?
You should focus on one power, but I don't want that to stop people from building arrays. I made you guys over point cost for a reason. But I would find it hard to justify a paragon build that wasn't something like "controls the fabric of reality".
Ophion wrote:This sounds interesting.

Question: What sorts of powers/effects are acceptable and what aren't? And not just in terms of possible game-breakage, but in terms of what would make sense for your proposed setting.
The powers that usually cause issues for me are the usual ones; pre and post cognition - you can take them but that just means that you have the power of plot device. Which is fine, but it will have to be uncontrolled. Anything that messes with action economy will be suspect - something like summon is fine but try to keep it to something like summon one or two things, not summon a horde.

Sakuro
Cosmic Scion
Cosmic Scion

Post by Sakuro » Fri Apr 29, 2011 11:09 am

I like the idea, but I'll hold off committing to a submission and concept until your rump isn't being beaten so intensively.
Roll Call thread: Character Cache

Ophion
Comrade
Comrade

Post by Ophion » Fri Apr 29, 2011 11:14 am

heretic454 wrote:
Ophion wrote:This sounds interesting.

The powers that usually cause issues for me are the usual ones; pre and post cognition - you can take them but that just means that you have the power of plot device. Which is fine, but it will have to be uncontrolled. Anything that messes with action economy will be suspect - something like summon is fine but try to keep it to something like summon one or two things, not summon a horde.
Ok, those answers are helpful, and are more or less what I expected to hear, but what about powers that - mechanically speaking - are allowed, but are thematically somewhat extreme or wild. Such as, let's say, the ability to summon multiple futuristic-looking weapons from nowhere that float in the air over the hero's shoulders and blast the crap out of their enemies (basically just the Blast power with probably the Multiattack Extra, and maybe the Split extra as well, but with a somewhat unusual descriptor). What I'm trying to get at is, is this sort of thing acceptable within the setting, or does it go against the grain and threaten to damage the game's ambiance?

ClassDunce
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Post by ClassDunce » Fri Apr 29, 2011 11:23 am

Just a quick question, would it be reasonable for a character to arrive at the island in their late sixties to early seventies but when they reappear for him or her to be in their late twenties? Because I kind of have an idea along those lines.
"When they ask how I died, tell them: still angry." - Quellcrist Falconer

whiteprofit
Titan
Titan

Post by whiteprofit » Fri Apr 29, 2011 11:30 am

I'm very very interested in this setting, but I'm mildly curious about the jump to PL 11 for a 'heroes' and '4400' campaign. That seems more Green Lantern or SpiderMan territory to me, is that the goal for these returners?

Are you apposed to varied Power Levels or characters who don't know what their powers are yet? (We section off a number of points for a power you create)

For a character that may remember something or thinks they remember something from the flight, how do you want to handle that?
Family of Supers -Kit Andersen/ GravityBoy!

whiteprofit
Titan
Titan

Post by whiteprofit » Fri Apr 29, 2011 11:36 am

Oh, a couple more: Are we starting after the flight lands or a while after the flight? Like, a couple months later? If that is the case, what happens to the group upon landing? Is there a rehabilitation clinic or some kind of government step to reintroduce the survivors to society?
Family of Supers -Kit Andersen/ GravityBoy!

Rybaer
Collaborator
Collaborator

Post by Rybaer » Fri Apr 29, 2011 11:58 am

Love the concept and inspiration material. Will give it some thought and see if a suitable character comes to me.

Along the lines of the previous question about whether varying power level characters would work...how important is it to meet or be close to attack/defense caps? Achieving those often feels convoluted for characters who have little or no combat experience, at least for some builds.
Active Characters:
Rosalyn "Thermal" Trudy - 52 Pick-up
Leela "Brick House" Hernandez - Heroic Age

Task
Fanatic
Fanatic

Post by Task » Fri Apr 29, 2011 12:26 pm

Color me officially interested. I'll give a concept soon. Given the "single power" concept, I'll be hard pressed to come up with one, but we'll see.
Star Wars 3e (Full Conversion)
Characters I Play:
Dark Babylon - Blackhawk
Return to Caldera - Alaina Devereux
Valor City - Intrepid

Rokku
Hireling
Hireling

Post by Rokku » Fri Apr 29, 2011 12:46 pm

This sounds like fun. I'd like to bring a version of Pinnacle, who I created for another game (and her sheet's found here: http://www.atomicthinktank.com/viewtopi ... le#p810185) into this game. She would have been a model in first-class on the flight, probably going to a shoot in the Carribean somewhere when the plane disappeared. I'd be removing the legacy character aspect of course, and swapping the Flight for Leaping so that it fits together as part of the "superhuman physical attributes" theme.

BedLlama
Firebrand
Firebrand

Post by BedLlama » Fri Apr 29, 2011 12:58 pm

I would be interested in playing a character with some sort of elemental power. Maybe an electrical controller, or someone who can turn in to water, or somesuch.