New Freedom League [OOC]

This forum is the place for Mutants & Masterminds Play-By-Post games. Please read the M&M Game Room rules before starting or joining a game. Enjoy!
catsi563
Cosmic Scion
Cosmic Scion

Re: New Freedom League [OOC]

Postby catsi563 » Wed Feb 27, 2013 12:23 pm

frighteningly enough as it may sound James may be the one doing so. Hes as reluctant a leader type as they come very much like Shikamaru on Naruto without the added genius though Syphara covers that nicely.

But that aside james is one of those who steps up when its needed and in the process he tends to take charge without even thinking about it. Thats how seemless Sypharas and his bonding is theres virtualy no delay in James being able to access Sypharas wisdom, and the pair practicaly think as one when the defecation hits the oscilating air device.

As to Marcus and his tech issues

well Black Canary was JLA chairwoman and she is a self identified person who is curses when it comes to computer use :mrgreen:
Dr. Silverback has wryly observed that this is like trying to teach lolcats about Shakespeare

The Litterbox

http://www.fanfiction.net/~catsi563

Horsenhero
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Horsenhero » Wed Feb 27, 2013 12:44 pm

I don't see Stars Fire as the leader for a very simple reason. He's way too busy trying to be witty and cool to be effective as the leader. He's Hal Jordan, not Clark Kent or Bruce Wayne and that isn't the groups' leader. One of the heavy hitters for sure, but still not the type who inspires people to action...or to listen.

There's a reason why leaders tend to be serious, thoughtful and decisive types like Superman and Captain America, because they inspire confidence or militaristic, humorless types like Batman or Cyclops because they convey that they're serious about the job. Unless you're playing the X-Men, where Wolverine becomes leader because he's a fan favorite, those are the types that personality wise make good leaders.

And if we're going for fan favorites as leaders, then Sally would probably walk away with it, because she's so cool. 8)

Now, over in Force Ops, Vindicator would make a decent leader, but that team is front loaded with characters that exhibit leadership qualities.

Except mine. No character of mine in ANY of T-man's games is designed to lead...and that's the way I like it.

catsi563
Cosmic Scion
Cosmic Scion

Postby catsi563 » Wed Feb 27, 2013 1:09 pm

James is designed to inspire people to action through action. he doesnt talk about it he does it, everyone else follows by example.

Hes also meant to be the guy who steps up even though he doesnt want the responsiblity. Eventually though he reaches out and takes that responsbility eeverytime out.
Dr. Silverback has wryly observed that this is like trying to teach lolcats about Shakespeare

The Litterbox

http://www.fanfiction.net/~catsi563

Tattooedman
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Tattooedman » Wed Feb 27, 2013 1:16 pm

Horsenhero wrote:I don't see Stars Fire as the leader for a very simple reason. He's way too busy trying to be witty and cool to be effective as the leader. He's Hal Jordan, not Clark Kent or Bruce Wayne and that isn't the groups' leader. One of the heavy hitters for sure, but still not the type who inspires people to action...or to listen.

catsi563 wrote:James is designed to inspire people to action through action. he doesnt talk about it he does it, everyone else follows by example.

Hes also meant to be the guy who steps up even though he doesnt want the responsiblity. Eventually though he reaches out and takes that responsbility eeverytime out.

And you've just justified HH's comparison of Stars Fire to Hal Jordan, at least IMO.

Don't get me wrong, Hal is one of my favorite characters & the first one I think of when someone says Green Lantern (he's the one I grew up reading, as I age myself posting this). But Hal isn't a leader as superhero groups go. He's the big gun that gets pointed in a direction or is left to operate on his own where he has much more freedom to make choices on the fly. He's the guy that goes "Follow ME & kick butt!"

Then the team leader says "You heard him, go!"
World of Freedom Setting 3E

"Your ignorance is not my burden."
-- Chiun

Horsenhero
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Horsenhero » Wed Feb 27, 2013 1:54 pm

My thoughts as well, more or less.

Spectrum
Titan
Titan

Postby Spectrum » Wed Feb 27, 2013 3:29 pm

Horsenhero wrote:And if we're going for fan favorites as leaders, then Sally would probably walk away with it, because she's so cool. 8)

Aww shucks *blush* Thanks? I keep thinking 'and the child shall lead them' when I think about that possibility. Maybe after a few years of growing up, she might have a chance. Really right now, she's dangerously naive.

Anyway, as a player I've sat in a the big (well bigger) seat a few times and I'm much more comfortable being the loyal beta.

Who will bake the cookies? and pies? and cakes? and muffins?

TM- please let me know what roll you'd like for me to make on interfacing with the camera system. She's going to try to integrate herself as little as possible until more is known.

Kaisius
Partisan
Partisan

Postby Kaisius » Wed Feb 27, 2013 5:53 pm

Horsenhero wrote:Dark Seraph is the oldest of these characters. Most of the Crowns of Krim were introduced later on in the Champions U. Since none of my pc's ever met them...Champions has a lot of villains...I'm not sure which "enemies" book they first appeared in.

IIRC, Dark Seraph was first published in the very first Enemies book back in 1982. I think they introduced a villian with the Earth crown in Enemies 3.

As far as a 'leader' for the group goes: I don't think we need an offical leader, at least not yet. The model I keep coming back to is Morrison's Big Seven JLA. These people all know what the hell they're doing (more or less), as individuals and as a team. Yes, Superman was the Chairman and yes, Batman comes up with a plan (he always has a plan), but truth be told, he was really just directing traffic, sending people where they needed to be and letting them go to work.
Last edited by Kaisius on Wed Feb 27, 2013 6:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"I am not a big, fat panda....I am THE big, fat panda."-Po, Kung Fu Panda
Otakumon in New Freedom League.
Jackson Wright in Valor Unlimited.

Horsenhero
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Horsenhero » Wed Feb 27, 2013 6:02 pm

So Champions 1ed was published in 1980...and Dark Seraph came along 2 years after I started playing the game, which along with Villains & Vigilantes and Superworld were the very first superhero rpg's on the market.

And I played them all.

I have fond memories of epic battles against Champions villains like Slug and Leech. :lol:

Kaisius
Partisan
Partisan

Postby Kaisius » Wed Feb 27, 2013 8:16 pm

Horsenhero wrote:So Champions 1ed was published in 1980...and Dark Seraph came along 2 years after I started playing the game, which along with Villains & Vigilantes and Superworld were the very first superhero rpg's on the market.

And I played them all.

I have fond memories of epic battles against Champions villains like Slug and Leech. :lol:

Champions was my first, and favorite, RPG, but I have to say V&V had the best random character generator system. 99% of the time, it would give you an excellent powerset to build a concept around.
"I am not a big, fat panda....I am THE big, fat panda."-Po, Kung Fu Panda
Otakumon in New Freedom League.
Jackson Wright in Valor Unlimited.

Horsenhero
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Horsenhero » Wed Feb 27, 2013 8:42 pm

@Spectrum, in order to interface with a remote camera system, you'll have to use your variable to give Sally a new power. I believe it would have to be built as a remote sensing power limited to using security cameras with a feature for her to project what her senses detect. Remember, most closed circuit security systems are sequestered systems, inaccessible by the internet. They are accessible only to the security office and maybe the CEO/Curator's office.

Of course this runs into the issue of, is this something that your "I pick up spare junk" identifier for her variable would allow? You've already hinted you might be trotting out a flight platform, which runs a bit beyond what can be found in your average city dump. Regardless, Sally needs to use her variable to accomplish what you want. It isn't simply any sort of skill roll.

Tattooedman
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Tattooedman » Thu Feb 28, 2013 8:00 am

Horsenhero wrote:@Spectrum, in order to interface with a remote camera system, you'll have to use your variable to give Sally a new power. I believe it would have to be built as a remote sensing power limited to using security cameras with a feature for her to project what her senses detect. Remember, most closed circuit security systems are sequestered systems, inaccessible by the internet. They are accessible only to the security office and maybe the CEO/Curator's office.

Of course this runs into the issue of, is this something that your "I pick up spare junk" identifier for her variable would allow? You've already hinted you might be trotting out a flight platform, which runs a bit beyond what can be found in your average city dump. Regardless, Sally needs to use her variable to accomplish what you want. It isn't simply any sort of skill roll.

HH brings up a something I had thought.

I think Sally's "The Sum of Her Parts" power wouldn't cover her being able to link up to a high tech security system. I can't see something like that being tossed into a junk yard or simply thrown out in whole without a good amount of the internal pieces being removed. So I'm going to have to say that Sally can't do that.

As for the flying platform I got the impression Sally hinted that she would be able to create something (perhaps using her own body) to bridge between two skybikes to allow others to be ride along, as long as there were two pilots (one for each skybike), which would be within the realm of her variable.

-- Chiun

EnigmaticOne
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby EnigmaticOne » Thu Feb 28, 2013 8:04 am

Mhmm. Well, then I guess once Sally explains it doesn't work... we can move in.
Impeach the peach!

Spectrum
Titan
Titan

Postby Spectrum » Thu Feb 28, 2013 8:26 am

What about general expertise: computer/technology?

One of the things holding Sally back from doing the full integration into the museum play (and thus the remote viewing) is that it leaves her extremely vulnerable to whatever the completely unknown bad guys would be doing.

That being said, if basic skills aren't enough she'd be taking that as a next step, slipping out of her shell and wiggling through the ventilation shafts as gray goo. Oooh la la.

Tattooedman
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Tattooedman » Thu Feb 28, 2013 8:49 am

Spectrum wrote:What about general expertise: computer/technology?

One of the things holding Sally back from doing the full integration into the museum play (and thus the remote viewing) is that it leaves her extremely vulnerable to whatever the completely unknown bad guys would be doing.

To cycle through all the security camera footage in an effort to find where the museum staff is at? Yeah, a simple skill check would do that no problem.

-- Chiun

EnigmaticOne
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby EnigmaticOne » Thu Feb 28, 2013 1:15 pm

ClassDunce, we're already at the scene, outside the Museum.
Impeach the peach!

Return to “M&M Game Room”