[2E] Gulf Coast Guardians [IC]: Where has my Golem Gone

This forum is the place for Mutants & Masterminds Play-By-Post games. Please read the M&M Game Room rules before starting or joining a game. Enjoy!
kenseido
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

[2E] Gulf Coast Guardians [IC]: Where has my Golem Gone

Postby kenseido » Mon Apr 04, 2011 5:00 pm

The Chronicles of the Gulf Coast Guardians
Season 1
Epsiode 1: Rough Starts
Interlude #1
Episode 2: Waterfall
-- One Year Break --
Episode 3: Reunion
Interlude #2
Episode 4: Go Greek!
Intermission
Episode 4: Go Greek! - Part 2
Interlude
Episode 5: Crime Spree
Interlude
Armageddon Part 1 - Amazing Race
Armageddon Part 2 - Water, Water Everywhere
Armageddon Part 3 - Countdown...

Season Two
Episode 1: The Return
Episode 2: Magic Wars
Interludes
Episode 3: Where, o Where Has My Little Golem Gone?
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
As the press conference begins, each of you stand behind CEO Gary Sanzel at the podium. The five member council sit on the front row.

Behind the stage and in full view, the new, high tech, zero-carbon headquarters frames the heroes. Flashes and clicks from cameras fire like machine guns and more than a dozen TV cameras are setup to record the event.

Gary Sanzel raises his hands to quiet the crowd. A few people seem to respond but most continue with their conversations.

"Excuse me, we would like to get started," Sanzel says into the microphone. In moments the crowd quiets and the pictures stop almost completely.

"Ladies and gentlemen, United Petroleum takes its responsibility to this planet very seriously. We profit from the raw materials of this world, and its our duty to give back. Even before the accidents of last year, United Petroleum has led the world in research of alternative energies, and every year 10 percent of all profits go to wildlife organizations, such as the Olympia Wildlife Foundation." Sanzel gestures to Allison Winters in the front row. The former super-heroine makes no reaction to the action, though the crowd applauds loudly.

"But we can do better. Safety has become a number 1 priority at United Petroleum. Eveyone of our oil wells and refineries have been taken offline and inspected by an independent team of inspectors. And these reports are not being filed away in some room never to be seen. Each one is being made available to the public exactly as they are presented to us. And we are bringing back these teams in six months, and I guarantee every item on their reports will be resolved to their satisfaction before the facility is put back into production."

The CEO pauses while the audience supplies more applause. He almost seems to be looking for some reaction out of Ms Winters, but her face remains as cold and severe as ever.

"In an effort to cleanup from the accidents, he have initiated multiple programs and new technologies designed to lessen or remove the impact of our oil spills. Independnet ecologists have already reported that in the one year since the last accident, nearly sixty percent of the damage has been reversed." The applause again fills the area. Talking over it, Sanzel yells, "But we won't stop until that number is 100 percent."

The applause gets very loud now, but still Allison makes no reaction. As the applause dies down, the CEO continues.

"But you didn't come here to here me talk about these, or any of our other programs to rebuild the coastal communities and fishing industry in the Gulf of Mexico. You came here for this," he gestures to the heroes. "In their new, state of the art, zero-carbon footprint headquarters," he says, as another look to Allison goes without response, "The Gulf Coast Guardians."

The applause is very loud this time as CEO Sanzel steps out of the way. Clicks and flashes again bombard you rapid fire. Sanzel stands off to the side, smugly looking at Allison Winters, who has still yet to make a response of any kind to the events of the day. The rest of the council seems content to politely applaud.

"Now rather than have me go on and on about each of these wonderful heroes, I thought it would be better for you to hear from them in their own words."

You were each told ahead of time that you would be asked to introduce yourself at the press conference. You were asked to provide your name and a short statement about yourself.
In turn, each of you are introduced by the CEO. Please post your introductory statement to the crowd. You were told it could be as detailed or factual as you wanted, just as long as you are consistent.

Please do not post anything beyond that. After all the intros are done, the CEO has some more to say. Any attempt to leave the stage by any of you will trigger an event, so don't go beyond that point in your narative.
Last edited by kenseido on Wed Apr 02, 2014 5:54 pm, edited 29 times in total.
-----------------------------
Kenseido's Menagerie of Characters

Shadowbourne
Superhero
Superhero

Re: [3E] Gulf Coast Guardians [IC]

Postby Shadowbourne » Mon Apr 04, 2011 5:54 pm

Savant
HP: 1 Cnd: Observant/Adaptive

The last few days had been a blur. Somehow, someway, Jon ended up being part of the team he was seeking help from. Unsure of exactly what was expected, Jon somply nodded when they told him he made the cut.

So, here he was, listening to this man speak of all of the progess they have made in the past weeks...all of the positive things they had accomplished. Without really trying, Jon began to observe Sanzel closer. Watching the CEO's body language, listening to his cadence, feeling his confidence ooze from Sanzel's every poor. With a slight, surreptitous flash, Jon felt a change course through....nodding with the end statement, Jon stands up and walks to the podium with an ease of a season politician...or that of a succesful CEO.

"I am Savant. I am here today to let you know that I will do everything I can to make sure the Gulf Coast is as safe as it can be...No, no...make that the safest place. I have pledge myself to making sure that we can all feel secure that living here is not living in a dangerous and frightning place. My duty is to protect the citizens of the Gulf Coast area...and that is a duty I take personally."

Stopping for a moment, Jon looks out over the crowd. He had reached out to them and felt their presence like a massive beast, waiting for the slightest mistake, the slightest mistep in his opening. Waiting to tear him apart. But he had also felt that all they wanted was reassurance. Underneath, they were scared and unsure. Jon felt that and simply just give them what they wanted...his pledge. His pledge to protect them and their way of life.

"I am Savant. And I will protect you...this I Know..."

veguto
Henchman
Henchman

Postby veguto » Mon Apr 04, 2011 8:25 pm

Sun Eagle
HP: 1 Cnd: Solemn

Jenaro sat quietly through the cacophony of applause during Sanzel's speech. He nodded approval of Savant's words but was unsure of whether they were sincere or simply an attempt to sound heroic. Standing, as he was motioned to the podium, he stepped to the microphone letting his wings unfurl quickly silencing anyone who wasn't already awed by his appearance. His eagle head held high he regarded the crowd with an intense stare.

"I am Sun Eagle, or in my native language Dom Águila. The land of Mexico is my home and I am her protector. This was true before United Petroleum chose to form this team, and it will be true if it is dissolved tomorrow."

Raising a fist under his beak Sun Eagle flexes his forearm, huge biceps visible under a layer of brown feathers.

"I swear that all who need my protection shall always have it... All those who harm the innocent will face my wrath... And all who defile nature will pay dearly."

Pausing a moment for further infuses, Sun Eagle drew in his wings and backed away from the podium.
Read Pile
Invincible
Siege (aka Crossover Madness)
Blackest Night Green Lantern Corps.

ScourgeXLVII
Disciple
Disciple

Postby ScourgeXLVII » Mon Apr 04, 2011 10:04 pm

L'ombre Noire
HP: 1 Condition: a bit nervous, but stoic

Annette listened patiently through the beginning of the speech. She knew people dearly effected by the Accident. She wondered if she was selling out. Sanzel's quip about "nearly sixty percent of the damage having been reversed" made for a nice sound bite, but that still left more than fourty percent of the damage still remaining.

She wouldn't admit it to herself, but these thoughts were simply a mask to her nervousness. She always kept to the shadows. It's what she did best. But now, she had to speak under the unforgiving spotlight. She had to introduce herself. What would she say? Not only was she the only woman on the team, but she was the only one without powers too. Was that a sign of her value or was she just the 'token?' Which would be better? Would admitting to her lack of powers make her seem weak or strong? Would this be like asking the Wizard of Oz to come out from behind the curtain? Was all her power a symptom of her mystique?

All these thoughts ran through her subconscious, before realizing that she was next in line to speak At least I'm not first... or last... Thank God for small miracles, I guess. She stepped forth to the podium, and realized how fast her heart was beating. Any faster, and it probably would have been audible to the crowd before her.

"I... Am L'ombre Noire... I have sought to fight in the shadows, to protect those in the light. It is to you, the people of the Gulf coast, that I have pledged my protection. I have always, and will always, see to it that true, equitable, justice is served to the innocent, and to the guilty. This I swear to you." Her voice picked up a faint hint of a cajun accent. Noticeable, but not distracting.

A second later she faded back to her place on the line among the other "Guardians," her fluid motion betraying her almost unnatural agility.
"You know youre too old for Superhero cartoons when you start considering the thousands of dollars of damage caused in the pursuit of a jewelry thief, who stole a couple hundred dollars in jewelry, which was probably insured anyway"
-My roommate

McGuffin
Paragon
Paragon

Postby McGuffin » Tue Apr 05, 2011 10:39 am

Graft
HP: 1 Cnd: Impassive

Graft stood in silence throughout the CEO's speech, his face an unreadable mask from behind which he observed the scene unfolding in front of him. He stared into the flashes of the cameras, not blinking, his composure not slipping for a second.

When he had been informed that he'd been chosen for the team, he'd called Impact to let him know. His friend had congratulated him and in all honestly had seemed more excited about the fact than he was. Still, Graft had spent the previous night scouring the Internet for any information he could find about his new team-mates as well as the members of the council overseeing the team.

He noted to himself that while Mister Sanzel seemed to be talking to the crowd of reporters, he kept looking to Allison Winters. He seemed to be seeking her approval but none was forthcoming. Graft briefly wondered whether this was some sort of human courting ritual. Unfortunately Impact had given him insufficient data on the subject for him to draw any solid conclusions.

When his turn came, Graft stepped forward and spoke simply in a dull deadpan. "I am Graft. I am here today because I was told that I could help people better and save more lives by joining this team. That is my choice." With that the golem returned to his place with the others, his expression never having wavered during the whole time.
McGuffin's Workshop: Warp, Naga

Why crawl when you can walk? Why walk when you can run? Why run when you can fly?

hero4hire
Overlord
Overlord

Postby hero4hire » Wed Apr 06, 2011 8:29 pm

Mr. White HP: 1, Cond: Mysterious

Lights, camera, action!

Mr. White stood towards the back, in the shadows, virtually unnoticed by the press. Sure the cameras might get a glimpse of his profile, or a snippet of his figure. But he was sure not to be bothered by any uncomfortable questions about his past by any reporter, as he ever so subtly managed to make the audience ignore his general existence. Once a spook always a spook...and White was down-right spooky!

OOC:
Routine Stealth 20 to keep the cameras from getting a clear shot. Concealment 10 vs the Audience.

kenseido
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby kenseido » Thu Apr 07, 2011 8:20 pm

CEO Sanzel introduces Mr White, motioning to the remaining hero. Everybody looks as the other heroes all turn and face the stealthy hero. As he waves off the CEO, Sanzel's brow furrows slightly. Murmurs break out among the crowd, and a small smile can be seen on Allison Winters.

Recovering quickly, he turns back to the podium and the once again frozen stare of Allison. "Well, he isn't the talkative type, but we didn't pick him for his powers of public speaking." Sanzel pauses and realizes his joke was a dud. "But you will all get a chance to talk to him later on."

"Now to your right and left we have associates in red jackets to take you on tours of the new, self-sustaining, zero carbon headquarters, where you will see..."

Suddenly a loud roar interrupts the CEO's speech. There near the back of the crowd stands four individuals. Three are obviously "supers," a large humainoid made of rock, an armor wearing figure, and a male werecat. Behind them stands a woman in red hair. All but the rock person seems to be hovering slightly above the ground.

"Let's see what these HEROES are made of," the woman cries. With that, the rock-man slams it's foot into the ground. The loud crash thunders through the area and the shockwaves cause the crowd fall to the ground and the stage to shake hard.

Nobody needs to make a save. Please roll your initiative.
Everybody gets an 2 HP; one for the roleplaying, and another for the complication of the press being there.

hero4hire
Overlord
Overlord

Postby hero4hire » Thu Apr 07, 2011 8:50 pm

OOC
Initiative (1d20+2=16)
Is this a Dodge Save? If not modify accordingly please.
Dodge Check (1d20+8=26)

veguto
Henchman
Henchman

Postby veguto » Thu Apr 07, 2011 9:15 pm

Sun Eagle
HP: 3 Cnd: Solemn

Last edited by veguto on Sun Apr 17, 2011 7:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Read Pile
Invincible

McGuffin
Paragon
Paragon

Postby McGuffin » Fri Apr 08, 2011 8:05 am

Graft
HP: 3(2) Cnd: Fine

Initiative (1d20+10=25)
This weekend's going to be weird for me, so I might not post with any regularity.
Well-informed (+2 Presence, +5 Eidetic Memory) (1d20+7=8)
HP to re-roll Well-informed (1d20+7=8)+10=18 :shock:

Graft looked over the intruders, rattling off a list of anything he could remember reading about them to his teammates before going for the werecat. The rockman and the armored individual's defenses would likely prove too difficult to overcome and they prevented access to the woman behind them. Graft calculated a better chance of his attack doing damage to the man-beast in front of him but just to be sure he sacrificed accuracy in favor of damage-potential in the form of a powerful haymaker.

Power Attack for +2 Damage / -2 Attack
Close Attack, DC 23 (1d20+12=25)
McGuffin's Workshop: Warp, Naga

Why crawl when you can walk? Why walk when you can run? Why run when you can fly?

ScourgeXLVII
Disciple
Disciple

Postby ScourgeXLVII » Fri Apr 08, 2011 8:35 am

1d20+11=23 Initiative
1d20+4+5=16 Well informed (4 Investigate, +5 for Eidetic Memory)... so much for that...
"You know youre too old for Superhero cartoons when you start considering the thousands of dollars of damage caused in the pursuit of a jewelry thief, who stole a couple hundred dollars in jewelry, which was probably insured anyway"
-My roommate

Shadowbourne
Superhero
Superhero

Postby Shadowbourne » Fri Apr 08, 2011 5:09 pm

Savant
HP: 3 Cnd: Pumped and Ready

The shockwave plays across the ground as Savant' system kicks in. For the past few days, Jon had been around his new teammates, learning how to operate as a team, how HE could be part of the team. In that time, Jon also observed how each approached conflict. And Jon did what he did best...he watched, he learned...he absorbed. Reaching back for those memories, Jon pulled forth that knowledge and let his adrenalin flow....time for Jon Doe to recede...time for Savant to learn.

OK...below is the mimicked Advantages and Skills of the team. He did not mimic everything, so he has 11 points to spend for mimicking the badguys. This is a much more potent character than I first thought. Initiative is based of mimicked Improved Initaitive...

Mimicked Initiative (1d20+9=18)

Advantages:17 pp
Agile Feint, Defensive Roll 4, Evasion, Fast Grab, Favored Environment(Urban), Improved Critical(Unarmed), Improved Grab, Improved Hold, Improved Initiative 2, Luck, Power Attack, Takedown, Uncanny Dodge

Skills 12pp
Acrobatics 8(+9), Close Combat: Unarmed 4(+12), Expertise: Tactics 4(+5), Perception 8(+9)

New Offense
Initiative +9
Unarmed Combat +12 DC16

New Defense
Dodge 10/8, Parry 10/8 from Favored Environment
Toughness 5/1 without Defensive Roll
Fortitude 8
Will 8

kenseido
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby kenseido » Fri Apr 08, 2011 5:33 pm

Initiative:
Feral 27
Graft 25
L'ombre Noire 23
Tank 20
Savant 18
Sun Eagle 17
Mr White 16
Crag 15
Esper 10

Feral
The animalistic man runs a forward and leaps over the crowd to land next to Sun Eagle and slashes at the hero with claws.
Athletics roll: 22
Attack roll: 30; DC 20 TOU save
Savant can mimic 7 ranks of Athletics.

In response, Graft moves forward to launches a viscous haymaker against the feral man. The fast moving creature makes a difficult target, twisting around the arc of the hero's attack. When he finally connects, there is not much left and the creature is not harmed by the attack.

Toughness save, DC23: 24
L'ombre Noire is up.

veguto
Henchman
Henchman

Postby veguto » Fri Apr 08, 2011 6:45 pm

Sun Eagle
HP: 3 Cnd: Solemn

kenseido wrote:The animalistic man runs a forward and leaps over the crowd to land next to Sun Eagle and slashes at the hero with claws.
Athletics roll: 22
Attack roll: 30; DC 20 TOU save
Savant can mimic 7 ranks of Athletics.

OOC
TOU Save 1d20+6=16
HP Reroll - 1d20+6=10+10=20

Bloodied but undaunted Sun Eagle shrugs off the claws.
Last edited by veguto on Sun Apr 17, 2011 7:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Read Pile
Invincible

ScourgeXLVII
Disciple
Disciple

Postby ScourgeXLVII » Fri Apr 08, 2011 7:36 pm

L'ombre Noire
HP:3, Cond: Raring to go

Annette is used to thinking fast on her feet, so she reacted quicker than most of her new teammates to the foe. The red-haired woman seems like their leader, and looks like an easy enough target. Looks can be misleading, she knows that, but she seems a lot less eager to tangle with the rock-monster. Annette rushes past the crowds still on the ground from the shockwave, before jumping over the armored man, like a pommel horse, landing a knee right in the red-haired woman's face. Before the woman can react further, Annette locks her arm around the woman's neck.

Move Action to get into striking range of the woman.
Standard action to Agile feint: Agile Feint (1d20+15=23)
Extra Effort to Attack: Power Attack for 3; DC 21 (1d20+15=35) Crit! Make that DC 26. And that puts her into a Grab, due to Fast Grab. I forget if the grab-check in an opposed check in 3e, but I'll roll for it anyway: Grab check (1d20+5=20) If it's not opposed, She has Dexterity of 5 and Grabbing Finesse, so she uses Dexterity for grabs.

Also, for future reference, is this Urban enough for her Favored Environment? Because I could see it going either way. I'll assume not, for this round, just to be fair.
-My roommate

Return to “M&M Game Room”