Beyond Apocolypse [On Indefinite Hiatus]

This forum is the place for Mutants & Masterminds Play-By-Post games. Please read the M&M Game Room rules before starting or joining a game. Enjoy!
ScourgeXLVII
Disciple
Disciple

Beyond Apocolypse [On Indefinite Hiatus]

Post by ScourgeXLVII » Wed Mar 02, 2011 5:12 pm

Beyond Apocolypse:

The premise: Alright, I'm thinking of running a Teen Heroes game of aproximately 5 players, though if there are enough players I'd open it up to a sixth player (It'll start as pl8; 120pp, with the potential to eventually go up to pl 9 or perhaps 10), where the premise is that a group of teens around Junior or senior year are thrust, suddenly, through a universal rift, from a mundane world, similar to our own, into an alternate distopian universe, which is inhabited by both humans and metahumans.

In this universe, after a great, third world war, in which meta-humans became the weapons of Mass Destruction of that universe, The entire Europe, Asia, the Americas, and a large part of Africa were razed by stike-forces of the strongest of these metahumans. Only Australia was saved from this massive burning of the world. The rest of the world was put under the control of UNREST, the United Nations Restoration Executive and Security Taskforce, which united most of the battered world, and began Disarmament, which imprisoned, and exicuted metahumans who were guilty of war crimes in World War III. Eventually, this extended to concentration camps full of any Metahuman who was a soldier in World War III as well as Metahuman Criminals. Metahumans became a scapegoat, their arrests became more about keeping the public afraid that the atrocities of World War III were still an ever-present danger. When the public was afraid, they couldn't clamor for repairing the still destroyed infrustructure, which UNREST leaders feared could not be repaied, and failure would lie on their shoulders, meanwhile the public was ever-willing to submit to a suppression of some freedoms and luxuries in exchange for security.

This is, quite blatently, based on the Days of Future past storyline, and because of this, it will have some obvious similarities. However, since this is not based in the canon of that story, it has the advantages of being more free to the course of the story, as it unfolds.

Game (and GM) Style:
-This game will be using the 2E frame work, PL8 120pp
-For this game, I want powers to come secondary to background and characterization, meaning I'd rather have five flying-bricks with fully distinct and developed personalities and backgrounds than five jocks with wholely different powers. I'd truthfully not like either, but I'd be much more acceptable to two characters who fill the same power role than the same personality role.
-I don't really mind stereotypes, like Jocks and Nerds, so long as they're well developed stereotypes.
-The feel or tone that I'm going for, at least at first, is that the characters won't specifically be heroes, specifically, but they're good at heart, and though their first priority may be their own safety and return to their world, but they won't just stand by to the injustices of the world, if they can help it. After a few issues, they may get to the point where they want to be heroes, but they shouldn't start out like that. On the otherhand, they shouldn't be emo, or angsty (mostly due to my personal preference)
-I'm not going to impose any baseline ability reductions or skill restrictions, like those presented in Hero High, but I'd prefer to keep every natural ability at a lower, managable level. The smartest person in the school doesn't need to have a 20 Int, when a 16 could work just as well.
-I generally have a "niche protection" attitude, in that if a previous build has mentioned that they are a really good guitar player, for example, and that is an important part of their character, not a throwaway line in their description, I won't look too kindly on someone who takes their niche skill at a rank at or higher than the first character's unless the first character says that they are willing to share their niche.

The group:
Maxwell Warren Montague IV (Brainy Freshman/Technopath) Background/Build
Wendy Hall (Gymnast New Girl/Arachnid)
Jack "Ace" Davidson (Football superstar/Powerhouse Brick)
Tommy Philips (Outdoorsman/Aerokinetic)Background/Build
Daniel "DC" Collins (Witness Protection Loner/Mentalist)
Truth "Tru" Nicholas (Military Brat/Duplicate girl)
Last edited by ScourgeXLVII on Sat May 14, 2011 5:57 pm, edited 8 times in total.
"You know youre too old for Superhero cartoons when you start considering the thousands of dollars of damage caused in the pursuit of a jewelry thief, who stole a couple hundred dollars in jewelry, which was probably insured anyway"
-My roommate

Leliel
Groupie
Groupie

Re: Post-apocalyptic teen game [Interest thread]

Post by Leliel » Thu Mar 03, 2011 11:10 am

Hey, I'm interested.

Nice to find a game for Daichi.

Nineofspades
Luminary
Luminary

Post by Nineofspades » Thu Mar 03, 2011 12:27 pm

I like the sound of this, and I'd be game. I have no real preference between 3rd or 2nd edition, though I will say is that, between the two, I am more knowledgeable about 2nd. Though you didn't spell it out, I gather that the dimensional transportion process yields superhuman powers once the group arrives on the other side, correct?

BladeSingerXIV
Champion
Champion

Post by BladeSingerXIV » Thu Mar 03, 2011 12:43 pm

I am interested, but my ability to play is contingent on the game being 2E. I don't have 3E, so can't play it.

Corebrute23
Mastermind
Mastermind

Post by Corebrute23 » Thu Mar 03, 2011 1:02 pm

This sounds interresting. Just out of curiosity, you said the characters came out of a mundane world like ours. Does that mean we don't have super powers until we enter this new world?

And I presume we come from the same universe, if not the same school?

I'm voting for 2E personally. I've also got a teen character in mind.
Games I'm playing in:
Crinoverse: Warehouse 23
Ben Zabo: Shakes

Games I'm GMing
Grimnoir Chronicles(Open Recruitment until August 30th)

Builds:
The Core brutes 2e

ScourgeXLVII
Disciple
Disciple

Post by ScourgeXLVII » Thu Mar 03, 2011 1:18 pm

@nineofspades: yeah, I know I didn't specify, but the transportation process is what changed them.

@BladesingerXIV: I'm leaning towards the 2E framework, so, I think that unless I get a huge influx of people who'd prefer 3e, It'll be 2e.

@Corebrute: Yes, they won't have powers until they get to this new world, and, unless they have "obvious" powers, they won't notice themselves getting powers right away.

Same universe? I'm leaning towards it. Same school? likely, but not necessarily. I'm thinking they'll be from a large town, if not a small city, so there might be teens from the same town, who go to the other school for some reason. A football game, perhaps, so one/some of the other school's fans or players might be sucked in as well. This is just a preliminary idea I'm having, but it's an example of the type of reason another school's student could be at the scene, when they're sucked into the other universe.
"You know youre too old for Superhero cartoons when you start considering the thousands of dollars of damage caused in the pursuit of a jewelry thief, who stole a couple hundred dollars in jewelry, which was probably insured anyway"
-My roommate

Arknight
Compatriot
Compatriot

Post by Arknight » Thu Mar 03, 2011 1:43 pm

I'm interested! :) I'd prefer 3e, but could work well with 2E.

I'm sending a PM with a couple of questions about this concept I have in mind as to if it would work..

TC

Nineofspades
Luminary
Luminary

Post by Nineofspades » Thu Mar 03, 2011 6:09 pm

Two things, First, a question. If we do go with 2e (which is where things seem to be leaning), which books would we be allowed to make use of?

I've been toying around with character ideas, and heres what I've come up with

Im thinking a Senior, coming from a lower class family. With college ambitions, she worked hard to try and get a sports scholarship in Girls Vollyball. To try and give her the extra edge, she experimented with Preformence enhancers during her junior year, but was caught and disbarred from the team and future compitions. After this, she's been struggling to get by, having to pick up a part time job to try and get some money put aside so she can at least have a chance at a higher education, though its not looking good.

Havnt decided on power set yet, still considering options.

thoughts and comments?

ScourgeXLVII
Disciple
Disciple

Post by ScourgeXLVII » Thu Mar 03, 2011 6:36 pm

@Nineofspades: You could use pretty much any book, since either I or my roommate have most of the books in some form or another.

Also, I think I've got enough interest together to open this up for recruitment. I'll modify it in the original post as well, but I think I'm going to go with 2e. Nothing against 3e, or anyone who would want 3e, but it seems to be the leading decision, and my personal preference.
-My roommate

flynnarrel
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Re: Post-apocalyptic teen game [2E Recruitment Thread]

Post by flynnarrel » Thu Mar 03, 2011 7:31 pm

For your consideration:

Archtype: Geeky Freshman

Maxwell Warren Montegue The Fourth was a huge disappointment to his parents. Maxwell and Angelina Montegue are popular jetsetting world travelers that live in a world of social connections, expensive dinner parties, and general hobnobbing. The wonder where they went wrong with Max. Max gets airsick. Max didn’t speak until he was seven, despite the expensive speech coaches his parents brought in and the exposure to different languages and cultures they tried to instill. Max likes books and electronics and could figure out all of the little technical things like programming a VCR, adjusting TIVO service, and everything else a proper Montegue would pay someone with their name sewn on their shirt to do.
And then there was the computer. A boy of 14 should not have his nose continually stuck to a screen until his eyes give out from the strain. Note: they weren't sure exactly what a boy of 14 should be doing, but they were sure that wasn't it. At least he was smart and well-read. That, at least, was something they could mention at parties, so perhaps he wasn’t a complete Quasimodo-like failure.
Max knows what a disappointment he is to his parents. He can’t help his shyness or the fact that he relates more to the written words, (whether paper or electrons), than he does most of the people he’s met. Through video games he’s able to express himself better that he is talking to a person. In fact, he ends up leading a lot of raids, telling which characters to pair up to cover each other’s weaknesses. He is well known by his handle: IVIVVIVIIV, or |\/|\/\/|\/||\/. (his initials M W M IV).

Nineofspades
Luminary
Luminary

Post by Nineofspades » Thu Mar 03, 2011 8:17 pm

I think I'd like to try a weather control build. If possible, I'd like to build it off of variable, as its the only way I've found that really does a good job of creating a full range of weather possiblities. Would that be alright?

ScourgeXLVII
Disciple
Disciple

Post by ScourgeXLVII » Thu Mar 03, 2011 8:35 pm

I'm generally apprehensive about Variable structures, but I'll allow it, for right now. Once you post the build, if it looks like it could be abused, I'll take it from there.
-My roommate

Leliel
Groupie
Groupie

Post by Leliel » Thu Mar 03, 2011 8:39 pm

Daichi Arashimo

Archetype: Mysterious Transfer Student/Antisocial Jerk With A Heart of Gold

Shorthand Backstory

Daichi is a strange, antisocial Japanese immigrant Senior (despite being 16-he skipped a grade) with a high IQ and a tendency to be deliberately off-putting: He's the very embodiment of the smarmy genius when talked to, always ready with an answer to be delivered in the most snarky, condescending manner possible, usually not looking at the person.

It's all a mask-his ethnicity, his name, even his personality. All meant to hide a long, confusing, and paranoid trail, purely so he can live like a normal person someday.

In reality, his name in Ivan Emmerich, and he is the adoptive son of a Russian Mafiya fixer. While this wasn't the disaster it could have been-Aleski Emmerich actually has standards, however few-he has since become rather distanced (to put it mildly) from his old man and gained a chronic inferiority complex. To hide this, he overcompensates, pushing people away with his natural wits and generally presenting himself as bigger than he really is. That said, he isn't a bad person, once one gets past his shell-he's incredibly kind and fair, trying to see the best in people (despite inherited cynicism) and with a iron sense of honor-once he develops his powers, he will naturally come to the conclusion that he has a duty to protect others-simply because that's the way things are.

Leliel
Groupie
Groupie

Post by Leliel » Fri Mar 04, 2011 9:20 am

For a build, I'm going for a beastmaster build.

He depends on a group of crow spirits he's bonded with to fight, and most of his abilities depend on them. Since they are technically part of him, he doesn't need to worry about losing them, but he can build bodies for them to inhabit.

Nineofspades
Luminary
Luminary

Post by Nineofspades » Fri Mar 04, 2011 9:34 am

Characters Name:Wendy Hall
Height: 5’4”
Weight: 117lbs
Eyes: Brown
Hair: Copper

Description:
Wendy stands 5’4”, and has a trim, athletic build. She keeps her hair at about shoulder length, typically tied back out of her face. She wears tank tops mostly, favouring cooler colours like blues and greens, and alternates between shorts and pants depending on the season. After transferring between worlds, she’ll sprout two additional sets of arms, each projecting from her shoulder, underneath her current set.

History : Through middle school, Wendy only ever showed interest in one thing. Gymnastics. She was great at it, easily the best in the school. Granted, her middle school was on the small side, but still, it was something she was proud of. Although, probably the only thing she was proud of. Never the brightest, or the most popular, everywhere else she seemed to blend into the background. Her family didn’t have much money, something she had always been ashamed of, so she never opened up to other girls as much as might be called normal. Sure, she had friends, but she wouldn’t invite them over to visit. When someone extended an offer to go see a movie, she’d always have to decline. But at least she had her one thing that she could be proud of, and that was enough.

High school changed that. Oh, sure, she was excited to go. But jumping up from a tiny middle school into a much larger high school was a big shift. Suddenly, there we’re a dozen more girls on the squad, and they we’re all just as good as she was. So, she no longer stood out as much, she didn’t feel quite as special. Freshmen year passed, and as the fall of sophomore year turned up, Wendy began to see that she wasn’t improving as fast as some of the other girls we’re. By winter, it was becoming clear that she didn’t quite have what it took. It was crushing, the one thing she’d always had to make her feel unique, and it had just slipped away. She had dreams of college, but they all hinged on her getting a scholarship.

She felt trapped, worthless even. So, in desperation, she did the only thing she could think to do. She cheated. The pills she managed to find over the internet were only listed as ‘performance enhancers’. They seemed harmless enough. And they really did seem to work as advertised. She started improving again, and managed to worm her way back up towards the top. It wasn’t the same, deep down, she felt guilty about having to lie to get better, but still, it did feel good, feeling special again, even in some smaller way.

When she got caught, everything came crashing down. While not illegal, thankfully, her performance enhancers we’re forbidden from use in competitions. So when the coach discovered that she’d been cheating, Wendy was cut from the gymnastic team and barred from participating in any future events. It hurt her deeply, worse than she thought she could feel. It didn’t help much when, to add to her problems, her parents told her they we’re moving, that her mother had gotten a promotion in a different subsidy of the company where she worked.

Now in her Junior Year, Wendy is the new kid at school. She toyed with joining the gymnastic squad, but decided against it, knowing that her record would be pulled up, and that would just be humiliating, to have a reminder shoved in her face. The cheerleading team was having tryouts, and with her experience, Wendy managed to earn a spot on the team, so at least she had something to work at, even if it wasn’t much. A new Kid in a new school, trying to find a new reason to call herself special, to find some small place where she was unique.

Stats: 2+4+4+0+2+0 = 12pp
Str: 18/12 (+4/+1)
Dex: 20/14 (+5/+2)
Con: 14 (+2)
Int: 10 (+0)
Wis: 12 (+1)
Cha: 10 (+0)

Combat: 4+8 = 12pp
Attack: +4/+2
Grapple: +11 (+14)
Defence: +8 (+2 flat-footed)
Knockback: -4
Initiative: +5

Saves: 3+3+4 = 10pp
Toughness: +7 (+2 Con, +5)
Fortitude: +5 (+2 Con, +3)
Reflex: +8(+5 Dex, +3)
Will: +5 (+1 Wis, +4)

Movement:
Ground Speed: 30ft
Swinging Speed: 880ft
Running Long jump: 650ft
Standing Long Jump: 325ft
Standing High Jump: 162ft

Carrying Capacity:
Light: 400lbs
Medium:800lbs
Heavy: 1200lbs
Max:2400lbs
Push/Pull: 6000lbs

Skills: 10pp
Acrobatics : 12 (+17)
Bluff : 4 (+4)
Climb : 0 (+4)(wall crawling)
Computers: 0 (+0)
Concentration : 0 (+1)
Craft : 0 (+0)
Diplomacy : 0 (+0)
Disable Device: 0 (+0)
Disguise : 0 (+0)
Drive : 0 (+5)
Escape Artist: 0 (+5)
Gather Information : 0 (+0)
Handle Animal : 0 (+0)
Intimidate Cha : 0 (+0)
Investigate : 0 (+0)
Knowledge : 0 (+0)
Medicine : 0 (+1)
Notice : 10 (+11)
Perform : 0 (+0)
Pilot : 0 (+5)
Profession : 0 (+1)
Ride : 0 (+5)
Search : 4 (+4)
Sense Motive : 6 (+7)
Sleight of Hand : 0 (+5)
Stealth : 4 (+9)
Survival : 0 (+1)
Swim : 0 (+4)

Feats : 12pp
Defensive Roll 5
Dodge Focus 4
Instant up
Move by action
Defensive throw
Equipment wrote:Equipment Name [Xep]

Equipment Name [Xep]
Powers: 9+6+6+4+22+9+5+3 = 64pp
Additional Limbs 3 (6 arms; Power Feats: Improved disarm, Improved Grab, Chokehold, grappling finesse, Improved Pin, ambidexterity ) [9pp]

Enhanced strength 6[6pp]

Enhanced Dexterity 6 [6pp]

Super strength 2 [4pp]

Web shot 8 (Snare Power Feats: Tether, AP 3, accurate 2) [22pp]
AP: Web Spray 8 (Snare; Extras: Cone; Flaws: Touch Range; Power Feats: Obscure vision; Drawbacks: None)
AP: Web Pull 8 (Trip Power Feats:Improved Trip, accurate 2)
AP: Web swing (Super movement (swinging) linked Speed 4)

Spider Strike 3 (multi-armed attack Extras: Auto fire; Flaws: None; Power Feats: mighty, Split attack, Alternate Power) [9pp]
AP: Widow Bite 8 (Drain Constitution; Extras: secondary effect; Flaws: requires grapple)

Wall crawling 2 (Super movementPower Feats: Alternate power [5pp]
AP: Leaping 4

Spider reflexes (Enhanced Feats; Evasion, Uncanny dodge (tactile vibrations), Skill mastery (acrobatics, Notice, Stealth, Sense motive) [3pp]

DC Block:
Spider Strike (+8) --- 23+/Toughness --- Bruised, Staged
Web Shot (+8)---18/Reflex---bound, staged
Web Spray---18/Reflex---Bound, Staged
Web Pull(+8) Power check vs. Dex or Strength---Tripped
Widow Bite (+4)---18/Fort---Drain constitution

Costs : Abilities (12) + Combat (12) + Saves (10) + Skills (10) + Feats (12) + Powers (64) - Drawbacks (0) = 120/120
Last edited by Nineofspades on Sun Mar 06, 2011 3:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.